• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't really like to point fingers but I feel the reason why SG properties shot up in price so quickly in the last 5 years or so has to do with the SG government.

You know this government, they like to plan. And they are usually very systematic. I don't think it was ever their intention to cause so much oversupply of properties in Singapore. My guess is, somewhere in 2006 or 2007, under the leadership of the greedy LHL, his government went too far and lost sight of the commoners. I think they had intended to bring in lots and lots of foreigners. That was probably why they sold so many lands to the private developers and expected the rich foreigners to buy them.

In 2007 to 2012, there was also a huge shortage of BTO flats, despite the data showing that there was a long queue of people, especially young couples failing more than 5 times balloting. Remember those days when there is this COV thingy? And sellers of resale HDB flats were sometimes asking for ridiculous amounts like S$100k. It baffled me why the government became so short-sighted and didn't plan to build more BTO flats. Due to the lack of supply, that was why HDB flat prices also shot up suddenly. The government opened the floodgates to so many immigrants and new SGporeans, of course they too need a place to live in.

But too bad for LHL and his greedy party. In 2011, their popularity dropped drastically as shown by their poor showing in the GE2011. It was only then that the jokers woke up and realized the greed and irresponsible way they were running the country. They knew they could not allow foreigners in so freely like they had done so in the past.

That explains why now there are so many BTO flats being released suddenly in the last 1-2 years to cater to the commoners, while so many private properties are unsold due to fewer foreigners turned Singaporeans buying them. It's like the lazy student who didn't want to study before the exams and then last minute cram everything to make things right.

However, despite the high prices of the private condos, you'll be surprised people are still snapping them up. The cooling measures have little effect for most of them! I really don't know who they are. My guess is that there are too many damn rich people in SG. So I don't think the cooling measures will be removed any time soon. Singapore will just get more and more expensive to live in. If you look at the condo layout of today, you can see how ridiculous it is. Now super small 800 sq ft and below they can even squeeze out 3 tiny bedrooms and always a large balcony. Price? As high as S$1.2-1.5 mil for non-prime area. Crazy.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK this is what you say, because I feel that RM4,800 for two is really cutting it thin, frankly Johor is not all that cheap to me, a packet of Korean instant noodles is RM 17 to 18, I was like shocked, also most of the international brand items in the supermarket are very comparable to Singapore prices, or only slightly cheaper. Street food is relatively cheap, but portions are small, so usually have to order additional portions. Maybe Malaysian families really can take simple life, but I think most Singaporeans would need a slightly more than basic life.

Thanks to the Singapore government we are now people who have the mentality that we as Singaporeans deserve more than just the basic things in life, or that we need more to get by in life. Just think minimum sum that keeps going up.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at the condo layout of today, you can see how ridiculous it is. Now super small 800 sq ft and below they can even squeeze out 3 tiny bedrooms and always a large balcony. Price? As high as S$1.2-1.5 mil for non-prime area. Crazy.

It IS crazy! Considering that for less than $500K one can get a freehold landed or condo property in JB, I would not mind braving the daily causeway jams to spare myself the burden of servicing an additional $1 million for 20 over years for a premium pigeon hole in Singapore.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to the Singapore government we are now people who have the mentality that we as Singaporeans deserve more than just the basic things in life, or that we need more to get by in life. Just think minimum sum that keeps going up.

true. If we focus too much into the non basic stuff, we tend to lose focus on the more essential and important things in life, like family and compassion.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read a recent report , Singapore will be "Land of Millionaires" come 2030 . Every 1 out of 30 is a millionaire .
Another one report say that by 2025 , COE will be 200K !
Tell me how to survive in SG ? :biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read a recent report , Singapore will be "Land of Millionaires" come 2030 . Every 1 out of 30 is a millionaire .

I am recently made it a millionaire too....In ringgit currency. lol

Qualifier: in terms of MY properties...or loans...depending on how you view it...lol

Last edited:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

Expensive COEs is one push factor out of Sg for me....already feeling the strain of supporting my car as it is eating into my savings...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Expensive COEs is one push factor out of Sg for me....already feeling the strain of supporting my car as it is eating into my savings...

I got an LTA letter telling me that I can renew my COE for my OPC at normal car plate PQP of $59K. I was like, siao ah! What sense is there to pay 60K to use back my car which was already paid up? So gonna say goodbye to it soon and just enjoy my new MY ride instead. No COE nonsense. :biggrin:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got an LTA letter telling me that I can renew my COE for my OPC at normal car plate PQP of $59K. I was like, siao ah! What sense is there to pay 60K to use back my car which was already paid up? So gonna say goodbye to it soon and just enjoy my new MY ride instead. No COE nonsense. :biggrin:

Yeah, boycott the SG government!

Another example of how Singapore has become a country where mainly the rich thrives. No surprise how many will be willing to pay that kind of money to continue using their cars. People here love giving $$$ to the government.

You can imagine how much they are earning just from ERP, COE, maid levy, property taxes (why should HDB flat buyers pay that when they don't even own them?!!), miscellaneous taxes, etc etc.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another example of how Singapore has become a country where mainly the rich thrives. No surprise how many will be willing to pay that kind of money to continue using their cars. People here love giving $$$ to the government.

You can imagine how much they are earning just from ERP, COE, maid levy, property taxes (why should HDB flat buyers pay that when they don't even own them?!!), miscellaneous taxes, etc etc.

Complaints after complaints.....but in the end 70plus percent vote for them. :biggrin: :biggrin:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

The only certainties in life are taxes and death.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Complaints after complaints.....but in the end 70plus percent vote for them. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Who's complaining?

The lower middle class are the ones complaining. The very poor and rich won't.

The poor won't because they get subsidies from the govt. They went thru LKY's time and are stuck in that so they will vote for PAP. The higher middle class and upper income won't complain and will also vote for PAP cos they became richer.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who's complaining?

The lower middle class are the ones complaining. The very poor and rich won't.

The poor won't because they get subsidies from the govt. They went thru LKY's time and are stuck in that so they will vote for PAP. The higher middle class and upper income won't complain and will also vote for PAP cos they became richer.

I don't get subsidies or GST cash because IC says we residence overseas.....diao....

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean your IC states your JB home address? How come like dat?

Singapore law requires notification of change of address at Police Station. If sway sway kena problem will be dai ji liao liao if found out never report new address....my wife also got letter from ICA telling her to report new address....more than one year after we moved into JB.