• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Private hire vehicle (PHV) drivers

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Driver arrested after Mercedes knocks down gate when it allegedly lunged towards PMD rider​

1 of 2
mi_car_030222.jpg

1643889484891.png

The police were alerted to a case of rash act involving a Mercedes car driver and a personal mobility device rider along Lorong 4 Toa Payoh, on Feb 3, 2022. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
Wallace Woon

Feb 3, 2022

SINGAPORE - A 30-year-old man was arrested after the Mercedes-Benz he was driving allegedly knocked down the gate of Victory Family Centre's technical support centre in Toa Payoh on Wednesday afternoon (Feb 2).
In a statement on Thursday, the police said they were alerted to a case of rash act involving a driver and a personal mobility device (PMD) rider along Lorong 4 Toa Payoh.
The driver was arrested in relation to the case, said the police, adding that no injuries were reported and investigations are ongoing.
According to Shin Min Daily News, a witness who identified herself as Ms Huang, 70, said she saw the car hit the gate after its driver had an argument with the PMD rider.
The car was heading west along Toa Payoh East when its driver first encountered the PMD rider, identified only as Mr Harun by Shin Min, at a pedestrian crossing about 25m from the entrance of Victory Family Centre.
Mr Harun, who is in his 20s, told Shin Min he was rushing to pick up an order from a restaurant nearby at the time.
After he rode across the crossing, an argument ensued between him and the driver.

He said: "I should have priority at the zebra crossing, but the other party tried to drive in front of me. I was very angry so I questioned the driver."
They crossed paths again in front of the family centre's technical support centre when Mr Harun rode past as the Mercedes was turning in. It was then that the car allegedly lunged towards the delivery rider.
"I didn't expect the car to suddenly rush forward towards me when I was passing by the entrance of the building, but I managed to dodge it before it hit the gate and knocked it down," said Mr Harun.
He added that the Mercedes then reversed and knocked into his PMD.
mi_roadrage_030222.jpg

The 30-year-old Mercedes driver being questioned by police at the scene of the incident. He was later arrested for the alleged rash act. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
"Since I was not seriously affected, I don't want to pursue any further action. Everything will be handed over to the police," he said.
The Mercedes is a private-hire car, said Shin Min. It added that the driver was seen inspecting the front of the car which had scratches, while being questioned by the police.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Car lands in pool in Geylang condo​

The red Honda Shuttle was reported to be a private-hire vehicle that had driven into the condominium compound on Sunday to pick up a passenger.

The red Honda Shuttle was reported to be a private-hire vehicle that had driven into the condominium compound on Sunday to pick up a passenger. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO
goh_yan_han.png

Goh Yan Han

PUBLISHED

MAR 5, 2019

A red car was found in the children's swimming pool of a condominium in Geylang on Sunday morning.
Photos on social media show the two front wheels of the Honda Shuttle half-submerged in the pool.
Another photo suggests that the car could have driven over several metres of a grass patch and onto a pedestrian path before entering the swimming pool.
The incident happened around 6.45am at Sims Green condominium in Lorong 27A Geylang, reported Lianhe Wanbao yesterday.
The Chinese-language evening daily said that it was a private-hire car that had driven into the condominium compound to pick up a passenger.
An eyewitness who did not want to be named told Wanbao that the driver appeared to be an elderly man who did not seem injured, only shocked.
The driver asked the condo-minium security guards for help and the car was towed away three hours later.

Some residents told Wanbao that the pool was closed after the incident.
Netizens were quick to give their take on it. Facebook user Ben Wee said that PHV, which stands for private-hire vehicle, could in this case stand for "Pool Hazard Vehicle".
Another user Hailey Lee said: "This is literally carpooling haha!"
In 2017, another driver drove his car into the swimming pool at SkyPark Residences, an executive condominium in Sembawang Crescent. And in 2013, a ComfortDelGro taxi was found in the swimming pool of a condominium in Upper Bukit Timah Road.

Goh Yan Han

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Grab driver gets 9 weeks' jail for dangerous driving in 2 incidents where 3 people were injured​

AK_mc_060422.jpg

Michael Chua pleaded guilty to two counts of driving in a manner dangerous to the public. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG
wong_shiying.png

Wong Shiying

APR 6, 2022

SINGAPORE - A Grab driver's reckless driving led to him injuring three people in the span of a month after he reversed his car against the flow of traffic in one incident and beat a red light in another.
Michael Chua, 46, was on Wednesday (April 6) sentenced to nine weeks' jail and was banned from driving for three and a half years after he pleaded guilty to two counts of driving in a manner dangerous to the public.
A similar charge was taken into consideration for his sentencing.
On Aug 9, 2020, Chua was driving along Circuit Road to pick up a customer when he made a wrong turn into the entrance of a carpark.
He reversed his car back onto the three-lane road against the flow of traffic and hit two pedestrians.
The victims, sisters aged 60 and 62 respectively, were taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
The older victim experienced persistent left wrist stiffness and thumb pain for three to four weeks after the accident. She was given 57 days' hospitalisation leave.

Her last visit to the hospital on March 18 last year found that she was unable to straighten her left thumb completely and that the injury is likely to be permanent.
The younger victim suffered abrasions on her elbow and ankle. She was given 90 days' hospitalisation leave.
On Aug 31, 2020, Chua beat a red light when he was driving along North Buona Vista Road and hit a car that was making a right turn.

After the collision, he got out of the car and spoke to the other car's driver, a 43-year-old woman, but refused to exchange details with her.
Said Deputy Public Prosecutor Kevin Ho: "The accused also told the victim to claim her own insurance for the accident and to settle it herself."
Chua then took photos of the scene and drove off.
The victim suffered neck pain and was given a three-day medical certificate.
Video footage of the accident at Buona Vista was captured and uploaded on the SG Road Vigilante Facebook group. It had garnered 9,200 views as at March 4 this year.

Seeking nine to 18 weeks' jail and a driving ban of 36 to 40 months, DPP Ho said Chua's act of reversing his car against the flow of traffic was particularly dangerous as there were numerous vehicles nearby and he was driving at a relatively fast speed.
The DPP noted that Chua has a history of speeding in 2018 and failing to wear a seat belt in 2014.
Chua, who was unrepresented, said in mitigation that he had called the first two victims to ask of their well-being and offer assistance.
"I am the only son and I have two elderly parents at home. My father has a permanent disability and my mother had a stroke last month," he added.
The maximum penalty for each count of driving in a dangerous manner is a $10,000 fine and a jail term of two years.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Mercedes is a private-hire car, said Shin Min. It added that the driver was seen inspecting the front of the car which had scratches, while being questioned by the police.

Using a Mercedes to work as a Private Hire Driver? Lol some ppl really fake it till they make it

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The merc driver is ah sia kia is it? Why would anyone spend their hard earned money on a paper COE and a luxury car only to convert it to a private hire vehicle?

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Using a Mercedes to work as a Private Hire Driver? Lol some ppl really fake it till they make it
Two possibilities :
1) merc bought with inheritance money but no job so work as PHV driver
2) min downpayment and max loan with balloon trade-in, need to work as PHV driver to supplement main job to pay for the expensive car installments.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people are just happy enough to be able to drive a nice expensive car and work as phv and after work leemove the leecal can pickup chiobu and go pou.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Driver jailed 9 weeks for road accident that killed 82-year-old man​

ads_court_0.jpg

jean_iau_0.png

Jean Iau

May 27, 2022

SINGAPORE - A part-time Grab driver who failed to spot an elderly man crossing the road crashed into him.
The victim, 82, died from his injuries.
On Friday (May 27), Kwa Choon Eng, 67, was sentenced to nine weeks' imprisonment and disqualified from holding and obtaining all classes of driving licences for eight years after his release.
The court heard that the incident happened at about 8.35am on Nov 11, 2020, when Kwa was driving along Bukit Batok West Avenue 4 towards Bukit Batok West Avenue 2 at about 27kmh to 32kmh.
Mr Lee Hoi Pong was standing on a grass verge beside the road and crossed without looking out for oncoming traffic.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Ng Shao Yan told the court that Kwa was driving without due care, failed to keep a proper lookout and did not notice Mr Lee.
After feeling an impact on the front of the car, Kwa stepped on the brakes and reversed. He got out of the car and saw Mr Lee lying on the road.

A passer-by turned up to help and Kwa saw that the victim was unconscious. He waited at the scene for the ambulance to arrive.
Mr Lee was observed to be bleeding from his nose and mouth, with a dark colour around his eyes, which was found likely to be consistent with a skull fracture.
He was taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital but suffered cardiac arrest on the way there.
Resuscitation efforts were eventually stopped in the hospital at around 9.40am.
For driving without due care and attention and causing death, Kwa could have been fined up to $10,000, jailed for up to three years or both.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He's a business graduate but plies roads as private-hire driver 10 hours a day​

md_jeevan_04062022.jpg

Mr Jeevan John Menon graduated with a business management degree from University College Dublin in 2017. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
Kolette Lim

JUN 5, 2022

SINGAPORE - Mr Jeevan John Menon has a university degree, but for the past nine months, he has been working 10 hours a day as a private-hire driver.
The 31-year-old, who graduated with a Bachelor of Business Studies (Honours) in Management from University College Dublin in 2017, is now concerned that he will not be able to return to a corporate job.
Mr Menon, who previously worked in the marketing, technology and customer service fields, said: "I know I am not fulfilling any potential, and I am meant to do more in my life - this thought nags at me every day when I get on the road."
When he was retrenched as an account manager at a construction company last August, he went right into private-hire driving. Then, he was planning to apply for a Build-To-Order flat with his girlfriend and needed money.
And even though Mr Menon has been actively job hunting, all his applications have been rejected. He applies for at least 20 jobs a month, including those that are based abroad.
"Employers feel that driving Grab is not a proper job and does not require a skill set, so they think I have been doing nothing," he noted. "Even if the pay offered is lower than what I earn now, I still get rejected straight away."
Now driving from 2pm till midnight daily, he earns about $4,000 a month, after petrol and vehicle costs, and taxes. He drives extra hours to make up for days when fares are low and trips are few and far between.

Close shaves with accidents are a daily occurrence, Mr Menon said.
"When it rains, there is a price surge. And drivers do not stop taking jobs and accidents can happen," he noted.
"Health and income are at stake. If you get injured, all your earnings are put on pause."
The long hours on the road make it tough for him to devote time and energy to go for interviews to re-enter the corporate world.
"I cannot give up half a day to go stand in a queue for an interview with my resume and hope for a job - it is not a practical and ideal situation," he said.
md_jeevan2_04062022.jpg

Mr Jeevan John Menon drives from 2pm till midnight daily and earns about $4,000 a month. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
While the job is financially sustainable, Mr Menon prefers one that allows him to apply his knowledge to solve problems.
In April, he took a real estate industry exam to practise as a property agent. He is currently awaiting his results.
"While working as a Grab driver full time is a viable alternative, I am genuinely hoping an employer will give me a second chance, simply because I know I have so much to offer," he said.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fellow who recommended him to study for this Grab Degree got S$400!

I think it's a new career - to be a Grab Degree Influencer.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
And even though Mr Menon has been actively job hunting, all his applications have been rejected. He applies for at least 20 jobs a month, including those that are based abroad.
It's testament to the fact that University College of Dublin is no match for Uptron ACL Academy.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
S$23,968 for a degree from University of Dublin .... cheaper than NUS and NTU leh.

How is that possible when Republic of Ireland charge Euro dollar ?

The most important question - got examinations or not ? Got people failed examinations before ? Or pay school fees liao sure PASS one ?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal

He's a business graduate but plies roads as private-hire driver 10 hours a day​

md_jeevan_04062022.jpg

Mr Jeevan John Menon graduated with a business management degree from University College Dublin in 2017. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
Kolette Lim

JUN 5, 2022

SINGAPORE - Mr Jeevan John Menon has a university degree, but for the past nine months, he has been working 10 hours a day as a private-hire driver.
The 31-year-old, who graduated with a Bachelor of Business Studies (Honours) in Management from University College Dublin in 2017, is now concerned that he will not be able to return to a corporate job.
Mr Menon, who previously worked in the marketing, technology and customer service fields, said: "I know I am not fulfilling any potential, and I am meant to do more in my life - this thought nags at me every day when I get on the road."
When he was retrenched as an account manager at a construction company last August, he went right into private-hire driving. Then, he was planning to apply for a Build-To-Order flat with his girlfriend and needed money.
"Employers feel that driving Grab is not a proper job and does not require a skill set, so they think I have been doing nothing," he noted. "Even if the pay offered is lower than what I earn now, I still get rejected straight away."
Now driving from 2pm till midnight daily, he earns about $4,000 a month, after petrol and vehicle costs, and taxes. He drives extra hours to make up for days when fares are low and trips are few and far between.

Close shaves with accidents are a daily occurrence, Mr Menon said.
"When it rains, there is a price surge. And drivers do not stop taking jobs and accidents can happen," he noted.
"Health and income are at stake. If you get injured, all your earnings are put on pause."
The long hours on the road make it tough for him to devote time and energy to go for interviews to re-enter the corporate world.
"I cannot give up half a day to go stand in a queue for an interview with my resume and hope for a job - it is not a practical and ideal situation," he said.
md_jeevan2_04062022.jpg

Mr Jeevan John Menon drives from 2pm till midnight daily and earns about $4,000 a month. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
While the job is financially sustainable, Mr Menon prefers one that allows him to apply his knowledge to solve problems.
In April, he took a real estate industry exam to practise as a property agent. He is currently awaiting his results.
"While working as a Grab driver full time is a viable alternative, I am genuinely hoping an employer will give me a second chance, simply because I know I have so much to offer," he said.
If my uncle wants to find a corporate job while driving phv he will not disclose it in his leesume. There is no need to be so honest at all during job search. It will not give you any credits. Just give some leesons for the missing employment period. You can always fine tune the period of employment so long is logical. no need so honest one lah KNN ter nao.