• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC scolds Singapore netizens for being "naive" over Zhang Yuanyuan

temasekreview

Alfrescian
Loyal
A probable China National by the name of He Zhiyu had written to the Straits Times Forum castigating Singapore netizens for being “naive” and “insecure”! (read letter here)

Zhang Yuanyuan, a Singapore PR drew flak from the online community recently by proclaiming her undivided loyalty to China in an interview on CCTV Channel 7.

Ms Zhang worked in Singapore for 5 years as a Chinese teacher before returning to China where she participated in China’s 60th National Day Parade.

Equipped with only a diploma from an unknown school in China, she came to Singapore on a study pass and obtained a PR within two months.

Mr He chided Singapore netizens for being “naive” and praised Ms Zhang as a ”motivated” global citizen:

“The outcry reflects netizens’ naivety in thinking that PRs will renounce their citizenship and show undivided loyalty to Singapore once they obtain their blue identity card. It also reveals the insecurity of Singaporeans compared to the motivation of global citizens like Ms Zhang.”

Read rest of article here:

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/1...-and-insecure-over-the-zhang-yuanyuan-fiasco/

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The writer is right. Singaporeans should learn to differentiate between citizens and PRs. There're many PRs in Singapore, especially from Malaysia and PRC. They're still citizens of Malaysia and PRC. If a war breaks out between Singapore and Malaysia or PRC, their loyalties and duties should rightlfully and righteously belong to Malaysia or PRC.

A probable China National by the name of He Zhiyu had written to the Straits Times Forum castigating Singapore netizens for being “naive” and “insecure”! (read letter here)

Zhang Yuanyuan, a Singapore PR drew flak from the online community recently by proclaiming her undivided loyalty to China in an interview on CCTV Channel 7.

Ms Zhang worked in Singapore for 5 years as a Chinese teacher before returning to China where she participated in China’s 60th National Day Parade.

Equipped with only a diploma from an unknown school in China, she came to Singapore on a study pass and obtained a PR within two months.

Mr He chided Singapore netizens for being “naive” and praised Ms Zhang as a ”motivated” global citizen:

“The outcry reflects netizens’ naivety in thinking that PRs will renounce their citizenship and show undivided loyalty to Singapore once they obtain their blue identity card. It also reveals the insecurity of Singaporeans compared to the motivation of global citizens like Ms Zhang.”

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/1...-and-insecure-over-the-zhang-yuanyuan-fiasco/

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
The writer is right. Singaporeans should learn to differentiate between citizens and PRs. There're many PRs in Singapore, especially from Malaysia and PRC. They're still citizens of Malaysia and PRC. If a war breaks out between Singapore and Malaysia or PRC, their loyalties and duties should rightlfully and righteously belong to Malaysia or PRC.

Bro,
Wait! I know of a M'sian PR whose son serve our NS and then remain as PR of Singapore while holding on to his M'sian citizenship. To this day, he still needs to serve in-camp training. Now, in time of war, where should his loyalty lies?

Some super cock-up policy of MIW!!

Cheers!
DOM

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro,
Wait! I know of a M'sian PR whose son serve our NS and then remain as PR of Singapore while holding on to his M'sian citizenship. To this day, he still needs to serve in-camp training. Now, in time of war, where should his loyalty lies?

Cheers!
DOM

In this case, he'd probably be called up by SAF but has the option to flee and abandon Singapore for Malaysia. His PR would then be canceled. Or, he may fight on the Singapore side and have Malaysia cancel his citizenship as a traitor. Up to him to choose.

sufferwell

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this case, he'd probably be called up by SAF but has the option to flee and abandon Singapore for Malaysia. His PR would then be canceled. Or, he may fight on the Singapore side and have Malaysia cancel his citizenship as a traitor. Up to him to choose.

are u a NS regular?
sure sound like one

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
09091118017e9754bd258895b2.jpg

20091011190707495.jpg

1254803955047.jpg

1254803954881.jpg

1254803954963.jpg

0007826508.jpg

0007826514.jpg

0007826515.jpg

回家吧, 北京才是你的家

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
In PRC, I'm a foreigner on Residence Permit which has to be renewed every year. No PRC expect me to be loyal to China and its impossible for me to join the PRC Army, commies party or become a citizen.

The word "Permenent Resident" is wrongly used in Singapore as the difference between myself in China and a PR in Singapore is that a PR's visa (residence permit per se) is renewable every 5 years instead of 1. They are not going to be a resident "permanently"

So why do we expect from a so called PR who is only here temporarily? Loyalty? Fight for the country? So what if they are made to serve NS? It does not mean they will die for you or fight agaist their country.

GORG1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I thought this whole saga is not about Zhang Yuan Yuan right? I thought netizens are just using her to whack the govt's FT policy?!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro,

Cheers!
DOM

Side singapore lah. U put in the effort to get a pr your son serves in saf you were born with a mudland citizenship not that you wanted it.

Help singapore and kill mudlanders okay.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

I really do not understand what the fuss is all about.

Zhang yuan yaun is not a Singaporean and she has a right to do what she want to do.

All the while we are talking about human rights and rights to be where you are and we have people here who question such rights.

Ironic.

chinchow

Alfrescian
Loyal
the way i see it, the issue is not about this PRC lady ..she is not a Singaporean and she has a right to do what she want to do...furthermore she has already resigned, left singapore and started working in PRC..the issue is how easily a foreigner can get PR in singapore and stay as PR as long as she/he likes..i read somewhere in the papers that there is this indian FT that has been staying in singpore for more thna 15 yrs as a PR ! what happens if this person get retrenched, will his PR status get revoked ? NO! he will stay on and compete with sporeans for jobs and not bcos he is 'loyal' to singapore...

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
prc:我什么时候回家你也要管吗?

张元元 : “北京毕竟是我的家,父母已近60岁,我想花多点时间陪他们。”

“但是,毕竟……也要想到,外来的,拿到PR的人,他们有可能也有家人。像我们这么年轻,也没有结婚,不可能抛家舍业,(永远)在新加坡,是吧?”

I tell you, u don't teekee teekee..:biggrin:
China is very much in her heart, especially her parents miss her very much, is best she go back.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really do not understand what the fuss is all about.

Zhang yuan yaun is not a Singaporean and she has a right to do what she want to do.

All the while we are talking about human rights and rights to be where you are and we have people here who question such rights.

Ironic.

Exactly my friend, I also don't understand what the fuss is all about. I myself lived in the US and Thailand for years. Should I go to war for the US or Thailand? I'm still Singaporean and during my times there, I've applied for exit permit through proper channels.

That said, however, our immigration for PR criteria is too lax. There's not much control over citizens-to-residents ratio, resulting in overwhelming number of foreign residents causing social discomfiture to local citizens.