• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Poor Amy, tormented by the noise for many weeks in HDB flat

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ms Cheong proceeded to delete her comments before issuing apologies on several online platforms, including the NTUC Membership Facebook page.

When several Facebook users dismissed her apologies as "insincere" and continued flaming her, she tried to send each of them private apologies via their Facebook inbox.

She said the breaking point came when netizens brought her family into the picture.

An upset Ms Cheong told TNP: "When they were abusing me, that's fine. But when they started posting pictures of my family members and verbally abusing them too, I felt it was really uncalled for."

On Monday morning, she was summoned to the NTUC human resources department and was subsequently dismissed from her position.

Choking back her tears, Ms Cheong said the incident had been taken out of context.
She said that for the past few weeks, she had been faced with a noisy neighbourhood.

"It just never stopped. There were funerals, karaoke sessions, and weddings. Not to mention the fact that my neighbours' flats were undergoing renovation. There were loud drilling sounds as early as eight in the morning."

She also claimed to be a light sleeper, and that once she wakes up, she "can't go back to sleep".

SINGAPORE - In her own words, she went from having a bowl of instant noodles after venting on Facebook to losing her job.

Within 24 hours of her rant about noise from a Malay wedding at the void deck, Ms Amy Cheong was sacked from her position as National Trades Union Congress (NTUC)'s assistant director, Membership Department.

She had, on Sunday afternoon, hit out at Malays holding weddings at void decks, saying they should "pay for a real wedding" and that "maybe then the divorce rate won't be so high".

Within five minutes of the posting, a Malay friend warned her on her Facebook page that people would react and judge her harshly.

In just 24 hours, she went from a girl-next-door to a vilified woman, with netizens flaming her and government ministers criticising her.

The New Paper asked Ms Cheong in a 45-minute phone interview last evening: So are you Singapore's most hated woman?

She replied: "No, people don't know me enough to hate me. They hate my comments."

Comments that she claimed to regret making and which she clarified repeatedly throughout the interview were not meant to be racist.On Saturday, she said she was again subjected to loud noise from a celebration taking place nearby.

Ms Cheong said: "I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I saw a lot of Malay people dressed-up, and they were heading to a void deck where banners had been set up.

"I knew it was some sort of celebration, so I assumed it was a wedding."

She added: "I was really cranky that day because all week long, I had been looking forward to the weekend to get some rest. There was someone screaming into a microphone and I tried closing all my windows and doors, but it was still very noisy."Ms Cheong claimed that she had previously made a Facebook posting questioning whether there were more appropriate places apart from void decks to hold events like weddings, funerals and karaoke sessions.
"I've always been very blunt and vocal, but what I said had nothing to do with race. It was about the situation. At that time, I didn't think carefully about what I was saying because I was venting my frustrations," she said.

It was only at 10.30pm on Sunday that she realised she was becoming the talk of the town after her friends flooded her with phone calls about the unfolding drama online.

Her post had gone viral, with more than 12,000 reactions from angry netizens, many of whom called her a racist and demanded her sacking.

Ms Cheong said: "I was just shocked. I totally didn't expect something like this to happen and when I saw the petition to get me fired, I was astonished at how far people would go to get back at somebody.

"I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to Facebook, which is why my account wasn't private. I guess that's one of the reasons this happened."By noon, she was out of the office.

While she was disappointed at her dismissal, Ms Cheong maintained that "everyone handling the case at work was really nice".

She said: "They talked to me and explained to me what will happen next. Of course, I'm upset that I lost my job, but I understand where they're coming from."

Less than two hours after her sacking, a job ad was placed by NTUC to fill her position.
She also reiterated her claims on Facebook that her mistake should not be used against NTUC, saying: "I really hope that people don't use this to bring down NTUC's reputation.
"When I posted that comment on Facebook, I didn't think of myself as a representative of NTUC. I saw myself as someone who was home on the weekend complaining to her friends."

After her dismissal, she issued an open letter to the public through the media. She reiterated that she was "terribly sorry" and hoped for the public to "find it in their hearts to forgive her for her mistake".

At this point, Ms Cheong states that she is "unsure" of what she'll do next and that she's still in shock and "trying to take everything in".

However, she said that one thing she has learnt is the dangers of social media, saying that "while social media can help a lot of people, in this case, it's very damaging".

Meanwhile, netizens - many of whom are part of the Chinese community here - are continuing to flame her on social media sites.

By Monday evening, four government ministers had also commented on the postings.

Among them were Minister of Foreign Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Mr Shanmugam, describing Ms Cheong's actions as "shameful" and "unacceptable", said they confirmed what he had long suspected: "There are deep fault lines in our society, based on race/religion".

PM Lee said the incident "sharply reminds us how easily a few thoughtless words can cause grave offence to many", but called it "an isolated case".

The police mentioned on their Facebook page that reports had been made against Ms Cheong. When contacted, a police spokesman confirmed this and said they are looking into the matter.

TNP understands that Ms Cheong left Singapore last night for Perth, Australia, where she studied in a university.

[email protected]

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Her remarks pretty much sum up how fucked up a place Singapore is and every single ethnic group is equally to blame.

Fuck the Chinese for their funerals and Karaoke sessions
Fuck the Malays for their weddings and relac sessions.
Fuck the Indians for their curry cooking.
Fuck the Others just for being there.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her remarks pretty much sum up how fucked up a place Singapore is and every single ethnic group is equally to blame.

Fuck you for telling the truth!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fuck you for telling the truth!

hi there

1. bro, you are damn fast on that!
2. honest, i was about to do it.
3. oops! i have never used the "f" word here or elsewhere leh.
4. aiyoh! blame it on my school, some christian-aided one.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. the more amy tries to get in right, the worse it gets.
3. she should just shut up & move on! what is done cannot be undone.
4. get out of sheepishland & back to down under where she is free to release stuffs from her mouth.
5. now, i live in bedok reservoir with plenty of m&ds there.
6. we should look at it as part & parcel of communal living, diversification of culture & racial practices.
7. yes, we have tons of noisy karaoke thing blasting away, wakes here & there.
8. throw in plenty of m&d weddings.
9. honest, i do enjoy the din & joyous celebrations from such wedding receptions.
10. get real! there shall be 6mil very very soon!

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

If I were to look at it since the MIWs are out to get her and the ppl of Sinkland as fucked up as they are, as describe by your own view, which I also agree..

She should never have apologise and if having done so, retract it and follow up with a full blown tirade and move on and maintain that Sinkland is really so fucked up unlike what they have been trying to protray themselves.

See what these fucked up Sinkie and their Master can do.

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks like you are not a racist. You insulted basically all the races.

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Mat 4 men band at the wedding is annoying, cant sing, guitar out of tunes drum out of beat and so loud. When was 4 men angmoh band a mat wedding tradition? It is to show off they are well to do could afford band, a braggart. Mat getai at their wedding? Hearsay now even introduce karoke at the wedding? they should try strip tease show next time to show off their wealth.

I have a low tolerance towards noise as well. I don't care about how dirty the void deck/corridors are but I really cannot tahan if it is too noisy.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her remarks pretty much sum up how fucked up a place Singapore is and every single ethnic group is equally to blame. ................................

And from now on, you can't point a finger at anyone who is making a nuisance of themselves in public and annoying the "harmonious" community. You might lose your job.

Cheers!

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have a low tolerance towards noise as well. I don't care about how dirty the void deck/corridors are but I really cannot tahan if it is too noisy.

right now its past midnight and the ang mohs on 2nd floor are playing music on their balcony. sound travels up and the whole block can hear it. obviously no body dare call the police, all just have to bear it... is that right?
if i call, will they say i am racist towards ang mohs?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boss really? :eek:

I thought only the chinese are the ones to blame?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lame excuses. She chose to live in a HDB flat where the open areas are for public use. If she wants peace, then she should have opted to stay in a condo.

KINGFALCON

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fuckapore.

When the pledge is just an aspiration and racial harmony is a political tool.

BTW Boss, why am I still in moderation, when I've more than 10 posts already?