• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Police search for missing kayaker and young daughter

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Police search for missing kayaker and young daughter

By -THE DAILY POST
12:58 PM Sunday Dec 1, 2013

Add a comment

<figure style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; -webkit-transition: color 0.2s, background-color, border-color, opacity; transition: color 0.2s, background-color, border-color, opacity;">
GRAN011213001_300x200.jpg

A woman is comforted by emergency staff as police begin a search of Lake Tarawera
to recover two people, believed to have drowned in a kayaking incident. Photo / SNPA / Peter Graney

Police have recovered a lifejacket and a paddle as they hunt for a pair believed to be a man and his young daughter missing on Lake Tarawera.

It's understood the Asian man and his daughter are missing on the lake after setting out kayaking together this morning. Emergency services were called after neighbours heard screams about 11am and have been searching the area since. The recovered life jacket was believed to be the only one on the kayak.

The BayTrust Rescue Helicopter and three boats are out looking for the pair.

Emergency services were searching an area about 50m from the shore and lake conditions were calm.

It is understood police are looking at bringing divers in to help in the search for the pair.
</figure>

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Update: Pair missing on Lake Tarawera

12:36 PM Sunday Dec 1, 2013 1 comment

The search is continuing for a father and daughter missing after a kayaking incident on Lake Tarawera, Rotorua this morning.

Ambulance received a call at approximately 11.10am. The 40-year-old man and his 6-year-old daughter were together in a single kayak.

It's not clear at this stage what happened but the kayak was seen upturned on the water and the pair disappeared under the water and didn't re-surface.

Locals and holidaymakers took to the water, joined by emergency service personnel and Coastguard.

An air search was also carried out by the Bay Trust Rescue helicopter.

A search and rescue operation is still underway and that operation includes the assistance of local divers.

The kayak, its paddle and an adult life-jacket have been recovered.

It is understood the child was wearing the adult life-jacket and it is not believed that the father was wearing a life-jacket.

The family are from Auckland holidaying by the lake.

Emergency services were called after neighbours heard screams about 11am and have been searching the area ever since.

Reporter at the scene Mike Watson said emergency services were searching an area about 50m from the shore. He said lake conditions were calm.

- THE DAILY POST

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reminds me of SIA staff who seem to get into accidents in places like Australia because they are not used to driving there.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Many Asians have died in NZ because they aren't used to the dangers of the great outdoors.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the post. I take my daughter kayaking at Changi sometimes and have been thinking about going for a course to practice moves like capsize recovery and other safety stuff. So far, we just rent the canoes and go out to sea happy-go-lucky giggling all the way. This is wake up news for not taking things too lightly.

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks for the post. I take my daughter kayaking at Changi sometimes and have been thinking about going for a course to practice moves like capsize recovery and other safety stuff. So far, we just rent the canoes and go out to sea happy-go-lucky giggling all the way. This is wake up news for not taking things too lightly.

Cheers!

The most important thing of all for those who go on or near large expanses of water... LEARN HOW TO SWIM!

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 40-year-old man and his 6-year-old daughter were together in a single kayak....It was understood the child was wearing the adult life-jacket and the father was not believed to have been wearing one.
The stupidity of people not taking safety measures seriously. Evolution has a way of eliminating people with reckless stupid genes.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The stupidity of people not taking safety measures seriously. Evolution has a way of eliminating people with reckless stupid genes.

The problem is often that evolution doesn't eliminate them early enough and this gives them time to procreate.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

When I was younger I remember hiring a canoe with a friend at the Sentosa cove. Didn't use a personal flotation device or have any prior experience in a canoe. At that time no one used PFDs. The place where I rented the boat didn't even have PFDs.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Like your best friend who is flattened by a taxi driver. I agree.

Another friend just got hit by a taxi last Saturday. Luckily he was not seriously injured.

Fuck all taxi drivers especially the Ah Neh ones who are the worst of all.

CheeByeKiaTonyChat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another friend just got hit by a taxi last Saturday. Luckily he was not seriously injured.

Your friends are all old fucks like you with poor eyesight and poor reflexes. Better dont cycle on the road.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

My dream encounter would be " Ah Neh taxi driver meets Ang Mo cyclist".