• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Thinks You Are "Self-Centred"

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
In an interview at the end of the 20th Asean Summit in Phnom Penh, he raised his concerns about these two trends.

A 'self-centred' Not-In-My-Backyard syndrome that has been increasingly seen among some vocal Singaporeans,
and what appears to be a growing gap between Singaporeans and new immigrants.

He cited the example of angry reactions to Chinese student Sun Xu who has apologised for derogatory comments about Singaporeans.
He mentioned that "we should have been able to move on from that ..."

So, fellow Singaporeans, do you think we are???

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
In an interview at the end of the 20th Asean Summit in Phnom Penh, he raised his concerns about these two trends.

A 'self-centred' Not-In-My-Backyard syndrome that has been increasingly seen among some vocal Singaporeans,

He cited the example of angry reactions to Chinese student Sun Xu who has apologised for derogatory comments about Singaporeans.

Yes, we are.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keep talking like that and he will get his wish

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

[/B]

It the same when many sinkies hope to have more opposition representatives anywhere except my ward.

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these bunch of MIWs are always self-centred too as they forever will say one thing but do another.

When it comes to their own million $$$ salary die die also say must increase to attract talent.
But when it comes to the local peasants peanut salary die die also say must reduce to be competitive.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... A 'self-centred' Not-In-My-Backyard syndrome that has been increasingly seen among some vocal Singaporeans, and what appears to be a growing gap between Singaporeans and new immigrants.

He mentioned that "we should have been able to move on from that ..." ...
obviously dat burger himself is so self-centred dat he wish dose mor vocal fellas r not-in-his-own-backyard ... :rolleyes:

stfu! ... stop whining! ... n stop braming peasants! ... :mad:

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am very amused by his statement since it is precisely because Singaporeans are self-centered and unable to look beyond their own shadow that the PAP can be returned to power in GE 2011. Talk about being Captain Obvious.

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmmm ... I wonder ...... He wonder ...................................................... WHY, eh!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tell me which country welcome foreigners with open arms and adjust themselves to these foreigners,and in so debunk the saying - when in rome do like the romans do.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u got nothing to say,just keep your bloody mouth shut !
If u don't open your mouth,we won't say u are a mute !
KNNCCB !!!

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its all PAP's fault!

They made Singapore such a comfortable and convenient place to live, we have PEACE and PROSPERITY all these years, of course we will come out spoilt and self centred what. What to do?

jw5

Loyal
If he's not self centred, please ask him to invite a foreign family to his house for dinner every weekend.
Please walk the talk.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM Lee worried about the growing divide....

"Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday identified two worrying trends he sees in Singapore, warning that they stand in the way of a cohesive community.

One is a possible growing divide between Singaporeans and new arrivals, whether new citizens, permanent residents or foreign workers." - Straits Times, 5 April 2012[Link]

Having been to many countries, I believe Singaporeans are among the most tolerant people in the world when it comes to immigration. When immigration was at a reasonable level, Singaporeans readily accepted people from various countries in our schools and workplace. Singaporeans welcome diversity and we are after all children of immigrants who came here many years ago.

Our positive feeling towards immigration turned negative in recent years because the PAP govt expanded the influx to a ridiculous level perhaps the among highest rate per capita in the world and many Singaporeans felt directly the negative effects of what the PAP has been doing - public transport became overcrowded, home prices escalated, structural unemployment became severe and wages of a large segment of the Singaporean workforce depressed. When the PAP govt implemented its policy, they were not very transparent and open about it. We were told the foreigners were here to create jobs for us. We were told they are here only to do jobs that Singaporeans did not want or are unable to take up. The PAP govt also implemented extensive scholarship schemes for foreigners that are not available to Singaporeans at the same scale and the actual numbers came to light only after persistent questioning by opposition MPs in parliament. In short, the PAP did what it wanted to do to meet various objectives, but did not seek the acceptance of Singaporeans for these policies.

It is hard to pin-point the day and time when certain thresholds were crossed but the extremely high foreign influx reached a point where people became suspicious and angry with these policies. Singaporeans in general do not harbor animosity and bitterness towards foreign individuals. - they are here to seek a better life for themselves and their families....and many Singaporeans would do the same if they were in their shoes. However, certain ungraceful behavior and ugly events involving foreigners can become outlets for the anger Singaporeans feel towards PAP policy. There is plenty of anger right now just waiting for something to happen to be let out. We cannot misinterpret the vitriol on the Internet as animosity towards foreigners because the underlying source of unhappiness is govt policies.

I cannot think of another nation of people who would take such a large foreign influx with less resistance than Singaporeans - just look at what happened in Hong Kong where people took to the streets many times over the govt immigration policies. We are good people who have been pushed too far to the edge by bad policies.

If PM Lee is worried about the divide, he should look not at Singaporeans but at the policies his govt has pursued in the last 10 years and how they have gone about doing it.

http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/04/pm-lee-worried-about-growing-divide.html

Sabun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinkies got these traits from the pappies. surprised PM Lee didnt realise this trend despite being our PM for so long.