• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Lee kanna "checkmate" by Hougang resident

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hougang Resident Speaks Up
Posted by theonlinecitizen on March 2, 2012

Following the advice of constitutional law experts, a resident of the single-member constituency (SMC) has filed a request with Singapore’s High Court, requesting the prime minister to call a by-election in the ward.

Yaw Shin Leong, the MP for the Hougang ward was expelled from the Workers’ Party (WP) on 14 February. Sylvia Lim, chairman for WP informed media that Yaw was expelled after he failed to give a proper account of his alleged indiscretions in his private life to the party leadership. He was also faulted for repeatedly not showing up for meetings.

Yahoo Singapore reported yesterday, on 1 March 2012, that eligible voters from the Hougang single-member constituency (SMC) can consider going to Singapore’s High Court to seek clarification on the applicable laws that govern by-elections.

Mrs Vellama Marie Muthu took action, filing an affidavit today. She said, “Why is it that even the PM is saying, as I am advised, that he even has the power not to call a by-election when he says to the media that he would consider carefully ‘whether… to hold a by-election’?”

The Speaker of Parliament, Mr Michael Palmer formally announced the vacancy of the Hougang seat in Parliament on 28 February 2012. MP Yaw Shin Leong had also informed parliament that he has decided not to appeal against his expulsion from WP.

Mrs Vellama, a part-time cleaner in Hougang, hopes that the Prime Minister will call a by-election soon. She related that after she had sought help with Mr Yaw, he had asked her to follow-up with him on the difficulties she faced.

“I no longer have the opportunity to do that because Hougang does not have an MP,” she said. Sylvia Lim, in WP’s press release on Mr Yaw’s explusion, had stated that Hougang residents will be served by the Party until the by-election is called. The Meet-the-People sessions were to be continued, with residents being invited to contact any WP MP for assistance.

“It is not enough that the services of Mr Yaw are currently being substituted by those of MPs from Aljunied Group Representation Constituency. I did not have an opportunity to elect any of them, so they do not have my vote,” Mrs Vellama said. The mother of two children, aged eight and eighteen, faces difficulties paying her mortgage loan for her flat, saying that the banks have threatened her with foreclosure. She also cares for her seventy-seven year old mother and her diabetic sister.

Assistant professor in constitutional law at the Singapore Management University (SMU) Jack Lee said it would be possible for a person with sufficient standing to file an application with the High Court to seek clarification on what exactly the terms refer to. “This could be a voter living in Hougang SMC, or – possibly – a political party that wishes to contest a by-election in that constituency,” elaborated Mr Lee.

Mrs Vellama is plainly asking the courts to declare that the PM does not have unfettered discretion in whether to announce by-election in Hougang SMC. She is also asking the courts to qualify that the PM does not also have unfettered discretion in choosing when to announce the by-election in the ward and that he must do so within 3 months or “within such reasonable time as the honourable court deems fit.” Her request extends to the courts enjoining the PM to advise the President to issue the Writ of Election within a “reasonable time” as well.

PM Lee Hsien Loong had earlier said, “On whether and when to hold a by-election in Hougang, I will consider the matter carefully. There are many other issues on the national agenda right now. Under the law, there is no fixed time which I must call a by-election”.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now this is interesting. If WP is behind this, then I must say it's a masterstroke from LTK & Co.

Now the judiciary must be shaking heads, don't know which one suay suay will have to preside over the matter.

If Court rules that PM does not have an unfettered discretion in the matter, then the reputation of one SC will be in tatters.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tell that to PM LHL. On what law/rule that do not need to hold by election. Unless he dare to speak uo Singapore belong to him and he is a DICTATOR.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha! I love the cleaner's gutsy character. such gumption! But she's motivated by her circumstances rather than legal angst.

Let's see what those in the Vikram and Hri kennels are saying to this.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Mrs Vellama is plainly asking the courts to declare that the PM does not have unfettered discretion in whether to announce by-election in Hougang SMC ...
wat if ze corts declare dat ah loon haf unfettered discretion not 2 announce by-election in hougang? ... :confused: :eek:

anyting can oso happen on ze reddot 1, u noe! ... :rolleyes:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PM Lee think he damn clever to hold back the by-election. Sakali make those Hougang residents very tulan, PAP lose even bigger time!

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to think that a cleaner has spoken up for the residents of Hougang... what happened to all the highly educated ones? kena hypnotised by Pay-And-Pay?!

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whoever came up with this move is very naughty indeed.

You may think that any judge can easily rule that PM has an unfettered discretion in deciding whether or not to call for a by-election. But wait a minute, 3 law professors of high standing have already come out in public stating their learned opinion(s) on the same issue.

Now the Court has to decide if the 3 law professors know their stuff or that the SC is worth his salt.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee think he damn clever to hold back the by-election. Sakali make those Hougang residents very tulan, PAP lose even bigger time!

PM lee does not even care especially when it's a low of the low social ladder cleaner who is challenging him. Vellema is going to see a drastic increase in her electric and water bills.

S

Summer

/

Tharman will go for the Bank

that threatened to reposses her

flat ...

Banks likely to stop any

repossession of HG flats

for the time being ...

S

Summer

/

Mrs Vellama Marie Muthu took action, filing an affidavit today. She said, “Why is it that even the PM is saying, as I am advised, that he even has the power not to call a by-election when he says to the media that he would consider carefully ‘whether… to hold a by-election’?”

/
Mrs Vellama Marie Muthu , somehow i think all

her debts and arrear bills will very

suddenly be fully settled ... :smile:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now this is interesting. If WP is behind this, then I must say it's a masterstroke from LTK & Co.

Now the judiciary must be shaking heads, don't know which one suay suay will have to preside over the matter.

If Court rules that PM does not have an unfettered discretion in the matter, then the reputation of one SC will be in tatters.

It took one simple gutty move to prove either LHL or the courts is screwed. Brilliant move. Indeed a checkmate.

S

Summer

... and give her full financial assistance; reason being :

a) hers is a classic case that deserve
govt assistance/ help ; somehow her case fell through
the cracks ...

b) many financial help avail to her
and family but they did not know about
it ...