• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PHD holder now a cabby in SG

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is last year's news. its very sad especially for a Stanford Phd holder, not any ulu ulu uni. Could this happen only in SG? Uniquely Singapore indeed.

PhD holder now a cabby
Online buzz over former researcher's blog on his exit from A*Star unit
By Amresh Gunasingham

Dr Cai Ming Jie worked as a researcher for 16 years before becoming a cabby last November. -- PHOTO: WWW.IMCB.A-STAR.EDU.SG

COULD this be Singapore's most well qualified taxi driver?

Dr Cai Ming Jie became an SMRT cabby last November after spending 16 years as a researcher at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star).

His career switch has become a talking point online after he started a blog earlier this year. Alongside his experiences as a cabby, he takes issue with the circumstances of his departure from IMCB last May.

An SMRT spokesman confirmed that the former researcher is a driver with SMRT Taxis, but Dr Cai declined to add more beyond this: 'All that needs to be said is on the blog online...It should be IMCB that needs to be asked questions, if any.'

The China-born Dr Cai, who became a Singapore citizen, obtained a PhD in molecular biology from Stanford University in 1990. The Straits Times learnt that he did a two-year postdoctoral fellowship after leaving Stanford at the University of Washington, under famed genetist Professor Lee Hartwell, who won a 2001 Nobel Prize in physiology.

He joined IMCB two years later and worked as a principal investigator in the field of cell genetics up till his departure.

A spokesman for A*Star, meanwhile, said renewal of all its researchers' contracts is based on a number of factors, including the time taken to train PhD students, their performance and their contributions to the research institutes and the agency in general.

Dr Cai's work, like that of all A*Star researchers, was assessed by an external Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), which recommended his contract be terminated.

Still, in spite of the submission of countless curriculum vitaes and applications to universities, government agencies and companies since he was told he would be let go in 2007, Dr Cai failed to get a successful response.

The former researcher now drives a four-year -old Toyota Crown. 'At a time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people,' he said.

ahben

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Last trade in Sillypore where only Singaporean can sign up is Taxi Driver and now China Born china converted Singaporean is also taking up places in the trade from those born in KKH.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
uniquely singapore - we have the highest qualified taxi driver and highest paid cabinets...whats new?

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take it you haven't seen the degree/phd holders in Australia jobless or working in totally irrelevant jobs like farming, cafe supervisor, plucking fruits etc?

Or the tons of degree holders in Europe jobless.

Sigh. Dumb shit.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take it you haven't seen the degree/phd holders in Australia jobless or working in totally irrelevant jobs like farming, cafe supervisor, plucking fruits etc?

Sigh. Dumb shit.

No brainer.This guy got a phd from Stanford, not undergraduate degree or phd fron ulu ulu university ok? Have u heard of any Ivy league phd holder( Stanford is even better than some ivy league unis ) can't land a job and resort to become a cabby?

Use your brain, don't be stupid. :-)

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
No brainer.This guy got a phd from Stanford, not undergraduate degree or phd fron ulu ulu university ok? Have u heard of any Ivy league phd holder( Stanford is even better than some ivy league unis ) can't land a job and resort to become a cabby?

well...what can i say...we have a high flyer in BP call Tony Hayward shouting at the media 'I want my life back.' when the whole state is polluted..
then we have the CEO of Enron commiting fraud,
high flyers in Wall street selling sub-prime funds, robbing billions out of Main Street.
And how can i forget Maddoff, was he also a high flyer before he was send to jail and probably left to die with his dick standing?
So what if this China born man is a PHd holder driving a cab, he is not stealing or robbing..there are choices for him, he can go back to China to look for better opportunites..

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sigh. Dumb shit.

well said dude...we have dumb ass here in this forum that are totally ignorant of what is going on with the world outside...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well...what can i say...we have a high flyer in BP call Tony Hayward shouting at the media 'I want my life back.' when the whole state is polluted..
then we have the CEO of Enron commiting fraud,
high flyers in Wall street selling sub-prime funds, robbing billions out of Main Street.
And how can i forget Maddoff, was he also a high flyer before he was send to jail and probably left to die with his dick standing?
So what if this China born man is a PHd holder driving a cab, he is not stealing or robbing..there are choices for him, he can go back to China to look for better opportunites..

What has under-employment got to do with white collar crimes?

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the main reason he can't find a job is due to his age (too old) plus the economic crisis in 09. Driving a cab is a temporary thing for him. He now has published a book and I think he has found better paying jobs.

You think the elites ie Russell Group, Ivy league, G8 grads all can find jobs?. Graduates in America and Europe especially are chronically jobless.

Listen to some Australians multiple degree holders whine about how they can't find a job:

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about these.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1186688.html
http://www.gradconnection.com.au/australian-graduate-forum/posts/list/318.page
http://www.gradconnection.com.au/australian-graduate-forum/posts/list/364.page
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080609211934AAjQAEW

No jobs in America and Britain as well. Much much worst than Australia and Singapore.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2010-05-19-jobs19_CV_N.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rrison-commits-suicide-rejected-200-jobs.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8180806.stm
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100529025627AANWAdp

China as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-of-suicide-sweeps-Chinas-graduate-class.html

Ok I just realised I was replying to ICW the schizophrenic guy. I thought it was Neddy. But since I have already replied might as well let this stay.

Last edited:

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
What has under-employment got to do with white collar crimes?

Hello nerd, cant u interpret yourself, those white collar crimes all holds degree or higher, enjoys high salaries but are still not contented...they commit those crimes that lead to lost of wealth.
This PHD guy decided to drive cab was his business, but at least he did not resort to robbery and white collar crimes...
But after i reread the article again, i must say that there are character flaw with this guy,

A spokesman for A*Star, meanwhile, said renewal of all its researchers' contracts is based on a number of factors, including the time taken to train PhD students, their performance and their contributions to the research institutes and the agency in general.

Dr Cai's work, like that of all A*Star researchers, was assessed by an external Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), which recommended his contract be terminated.

Why was his contract not renew? Is he plain lazy , or did he try to copy other people's work, like all good citizens of China?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello nerd, cant u interpret yourself, those white collar crimes all holds degree or higher, enjoys high salaries but are still not contented...they commit those crimes that lead to lost of wealth.
This PHD guy decided to drive cab was his business, but at least he did not resort to robbery and white collar crimes...
But after i reread the article again, i must say that there are character flaw with this guy,

Why was his contract not renew? Is he plain lazy , or did he try to copy other people's work, like all good citizens of China?

Excuse me!

Only those with character flaws call me nerd.

Anyway, your argument about the corelationship between white collar crimes and education and their income levels are flawed. To simplify, ask the auditors or to do it the hard way, figure out yourself.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuse me!

Only those with character flaws call me nerd.

Anyway, your argument about the corelationship between white collar crimes and education and their income levels are flawed. To simplify, ask the auditors or to do it the hard way, figure out yourself.

if i dun call u nerd, maybe idiot is best to describe u..
if auditors are so smart, enron, global crossing and tyco will not have slip...
huh!! no corelationship between white collar crimes and education?? dun u realised the higher they go, the bigger the magnitude of the fraud..
who else will come up with the sub-prime funds if not for all these genius pp.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
He shld join NSP or the RP, become an Opp MP, NCMP and earn at least $10K. So many of his comrades can vote for him.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
He failed Old Fart's test....... having been given so much funds and time to spend on research..... he failed to produce the magic elixir of life potion that Old Fart was looking for. :rolleyes:

then he shld go back to china to continue the research loh..why still want to stay in sg to drive taxi, and why must he tell the company he is a PHD holder? really brain damage.