• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Personal Loan from UK

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, it can happen to anyone.

the con keep changing. even if you are careful, you may still get some. but some ground rule, if the person you are doing business online by phone sound like african.

Forget it, it is a line to Nigeria, and it is a 100% CON.

Yes, you can get easily conned even in Spore.

Go ask those minibond investors :rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, you can get easily conned even in Spore.

Go ask those minibond investors :rolleyes:

No, those are sold by people who really think it is very low risk.
it is AAA and suppose to be very safe.

and they are actually more interested to sell them, because they get fat bonus at end of year for selling them.

glock

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a possibility, but the loan will be disbursed to my friend's bank account. So how will the faker be able to get hold of the loan?

what if they use the info to apply for a loan from a real bank ?

this you will never know of until too late

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will ask your friend to pay an insurance premium at $x/- before the loan be released, once they received the insurance premium the deal had completed and your friend have to travel to the moon to get the loan, ha ha ha.

very true... they will first ask for admin fee , maybe a few hundred, then they will ask for insurance fee and others.... and finally they will disappear

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

and they are actually more interested to sell them, because they get fat bonus at end of year for selling them.

minibonds = AAA and very safe?
whatever gave you (or them) that idea?
I'm just curious to know
Point out that none of the securities in a typical minibond basket are AAA

Last edited:

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

I've spent many years working in UK based banks
This is a CON job if I ever saw one
They usually preyed on the uninformed classes (little education & poor credit rating)
Didn't know they started to market overseas
They have lots of tricks in their bag
eg. adjustable rates ie. start with a teaser (very low) followed by accelerator
etc..........
So your friend would be wise to walk away!

cheers

My friend has just came across a website that offers personal loan from the UK.

He applied for a loan of USD50K (via email) & it's been approved in 24 hrs! Before the final disbursement of the loan, the agent requires my friend the followings:
1. sign the loan agreement & send it back via email
2. provide a bank account for the disbursement of the loan
3. provide a passport size photograph

My friend has not seen the agent before. He called the agent on his hp (UK number) to verify & is able to contact him. The agent can even read out the details & infos mentioned between their emails. At this stage, my friend was told that he need not pay anything yet; the insurance fees will be borned by the lender. Does it sounds too good to be true?

The interest rate is 2% per annum & the repayment period are 5 years.

I have advised my friend to consider carefully but he told me that he got nothing to lose as the other side did not ask for any payment yet. The only concern is whether or not to sign on the loan agreement (scam, trick or any future implications)?

So far, I have not heard of anyone in Singapore that manage to get personal loans from UK.

So guys, what do you think? Is it a scam? Maybe the agent will request for payment in the later stages BEFORE the loan is released? Or will my friend be bound by the loan agreement whereby there might be some complicated legal issues?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Obviously yr friend is one knows little not much.

oj423a.jpg
2nbgeir.jpg

"Its not that one doesn't know but where greed sets in..."

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So how come so many lost money :confused:

More honest mistakes ..???:rolleyes:

I was caught up in the CLOB fiasco. Back then LHL was heading MAS & ASSURED investors CLOB was legal. Look at what happened :mad:
MAS then turned around & told people in business got risks :eek:

These scams were carried out in Spore by you know who & no one has been held responsible because it was an hinest mistake.

When the gov't is involved & things go wrong, it is an honest mistake. Its only a scam when foreigners are involved :rolleyes:

warrior_saga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

I've spent many years working in UK based banks
This is a CON job if I ever saw one
They usually preyed on the uninformed classes (little education & poor credit rating)
Didn't know they started to market overseas
They have lots of tricks in their bag
eg. adjustable rates ie. start with a teaser (very low) followed by accelerator
etc..........
So your friend would be wise to walk away!

cheers

Thanks for the info, bro.

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought all of them.

No lah

The highest rating that any of the individual reference entities (REs) got was AA (not AAA). Also, note that minibond was a synthetic derivative product designed to hedge Lehman's own exposure to various instruments within its own portfolio. Therefore, minibond is a lot riskier than the credit ratings of its REs seem to suggest.

Lehman and their distributors were very clever. They never sought a credit rating for minibond. Instead, they diverted attention to the credit ratings of the individual REs (a totally incorrect risk assessment).

You'll need either a degree in Financial Engineering or many years working with derivatives, in order to unravel the tricks that Lehman used in constructing minibonds.

londontrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I was caught up in the CLOB fiasco. Back then LHL was heading MAS & ASSURED investors CLOB was legal. Look at what happened
MAS then turned around & told people in business got risks "

I remember that episode very well
It is amazing that LHL could offer assurances about Malaysian securities!!!!
You would think that he was the PM of Malaysia as well!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I was caught up in the CLOB fiasco. Back then LHL was heading MAS & ASSURED investors CLOB was legal. Look at what happened
MAS then turned around & told people in business got risks "

I remember that episode very well
It is amazing that LHL could offer assurances about Malaysian securities!!!!
You would think that he was the PM of Malaysia as well!

Ha Ha, I still own some of those Malaysian stocks. :smile:

Don't trust anything regulated in PAP Spore. :rolleyes: