• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

people who only worked 1 job all his life

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know because I have worked briefly for 3 months as civil servant before. It was nightmarish and unproductive in those days. Everyday, I was stressed not because of work. I have boss who was transferred from army and know nuts about his responsibility and I became his assistance. I brought him knowledge from private sector but was dismissed because he find it too taxing for him. Every now and than, he would grab me to join him for tea, snack and whatever break that he deemed necessary to cure his boredom. During meeting, the wayang began because all those “high flyers” were presence and none of them talk sense and would dwell on simple topics for hours with no result and have it postponed at later date. Not forgetting some snacks plus beverages available to pamper for their time too. The ambience of seriousness and commitment wasn’t presence as in those found in private sectors.

The office has high partition and each one either look like a toy shop or small nursery. When I need help from colleague, they were shocked to see me because they were either quietly listening to earphone or reading bibles or other books in their own cozy workplace. I became a nightmare to them whenever I sought their co-operation. I was scolded for intruding into their privacy and eventually it hinder my works since they have build their own palace in workstation where they planned to stay there permanently it seems. I need to seek permission to enter before asking work-related question or either receives cold stares from these employees.

The greater stress came when the office hour was supposed to end at 5.30pm but by 5.00pm, you hear clanking sound and keys accidentally dropping on the floor because everyone started to pack and locked their cabinet. By 5.15pm the light suddenly switched off and sounds of high heels or boots running in the long corridor to stop the lift and I have struggled, in the dark, to dig out my bag and rush out with them under stress or become the odd one out. When you thought you were early among many office workers in the building, the gate in front of the office was already jammed with cars all queuing to get out and colleagues all waiting in line waiting for their husbands to fetch them or bus feeders.

I was thinking a lot about how much our taxpayers monies were spend in building expensive govt building that housed so many “productive” workers who received more bonuses than anyone else in the private world. I quitted my unforgettable days in the stat boards thru many clearances even if I have put on a fake smile just to get out.

Thereafter I could breathe better and truly contribute myself to the economy thru these private sectors. Though I do not have the privilege of taking 5 months away to learn expensive cooking lesson, I have already live life to the fullest by being a useful person in private sector and earned thru my own handwork and got recognized for genuine effort, not to mention the vast knowledge and exposures received which cannot be found in civil service or in school.

I speak from my own experience without any cosmetic here because such experience working in CS is simply unforgettable and an insult to my employment history. I hope next time when LKY has the chance to air, he better speak better of people like us and scrutinise his own unproductive workers who were paid with my tax monies.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I never believe that 'loyalty' is something an employee should give a company. Because when the going gets tough, the company will 'reward' your loyalty with retrenchment, and good luck if you're someone who's been with it for decades! An employee is always someone who gets the short end of the stick - profits mostly go to top management and board of directors. So employees should always be on the lookout for the best deals, diversify their skills, and maybe become bosses one day.
I believe in loyalty, but it should work both ways.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks this is the exact reason LKY thinks sinkees have become 'lazy'. He thinks the behaviour of his own lackeys are equal to the behaviour of all sinkees, private and public sector. He is surrounded by lazy idiots.

I know because I have worked briefly for 3 months as civil servant before. It was nightmarish and unproductive in those days.

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I speak from my own experience without any cosmetic here because such experience working in CS is simply unforgettable and an insult to my employment history. I hope next time when LKY has the chance to air, he better speak better of people like us and scrutinise his own unproductive workers who were paid with my tax monies.

I am shocked by your revelation

these people, after many yrs of lazying around will refused to think for themselves

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
myfoot123: Thanks for sharing...

Sometimes life is not just working and get caught up with the rat race.

It can also be about taking a break at a nice cosy corner and think about the meaning and purpose of life...:biggrin:

life is not about working, that is true.. some indian yogi will say..you are NOT your job..

but it is also not about hiding in your cosy corner and hope nothing happens,..some indian yogi will say ...face your fears and u will master yourself

life is also not about finding a 'savior' to save you from sin
and take the 'shortcut'..
...but discover your God within..your true heritage

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm after I left the army at 22 till 28 I have changed jobs 4xs. From heavy industries to cleanroom enviroment. Then came my 1st encounter with recession and cannot find any manufacturing or engineering jobs. Ended up in the service sector for 3yrs+. That was the time where I really open my eyes and see how sickening the human race was. When the economy got better I got a chance to transfer to the engineering department and have stayed till now. There were times when I felt like leaving the present company but there is always that thought about my family and I am the sole bread winner of my family that made me stayed.
Now that I am about to retire ( in 4 yrs time ) I really don't bother much. Even if they fire me now I can always live off my savings and find another part-time job. Now I just go to work and tell people off if I feel that they are in the wrong.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont generalize.

Steve Ballmer for one is many times richer and successful than your businessman friends.