• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Paul Tambyah says Ong Ye Kung will face huge challenges

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Paul Tambyah says Ong Ye Kung will face huge challenges and Singapore healthcare system is under significant stress

Singapore — Incoming Health Minister Ong Ye Kun will face “huge challenges” because the “Singapore healthcare system is under significant stress”, says Dr Paul Tambyah in a Facebook post.

Dr Tambyah, chairman of the Singapore Democratic Party, is also a Professor in the Department of Medicine at the National University of Singapore and president-elect of the US-based International Society of Infectious Diseases.

He expressed his concern about the Singapore health system in reply to an article by Lianhe Zaobao.

In his Facebook post, Dr Thambya wrote that “Ministry of Health (MOH) data shows that the bed occupancy is consistently at or above maximum levels for patient safety”, with bed occupancy rates hitting as high as 95 per cent in Tan Tock Seng hospital between April 14 and April 16. According to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines published in 2017, occupancy rates should not exceed 90 per cent in order to facilitate optimal patient flow.

“While much of this is due to overpopulation from the misguided immigration policies, a large part of this is caused by the overly complex healthcare financing system,” Dr Tambya wrote, pointing out the need for citizens to buy their own healthcare insurance plans despite the existence of national health insurance scheme MediShield Life.

Dr Tambyah noted the increasing inequality in Singapore, cautioning that Singapore is “approaching the level of the United States which probably has the most dysfunctional system in the high-income world”.

Outgoing Health Minister Mr Gan Kim Yong revealed in Parliament that there is a striking five-and-a-half-year gap in life expectancy between Singaporeans aged up to 25 with secondary education and their peers with post-secondary education.

It was revealed that “men with below secondary education level were 1.7 times more likely to have diabetes, 1.2 times more likely to have hypertension and 1.2 times more likely to have high cholesterol, as compared to those with post-secondary education. For women with below secondary education level, the chances were 1.5 times for diabetes, 1.7 times for hypertension, and 1.4 times for high cholesterol compared to those with post-secondary education.” according to the reply by the MOH.

Dr Tambyah urged these issues be addressed, or the gaps in our society will only widen.

He also wrote that the SDP proposed a national universal healthcare scheme, which is simple and based on a single-payer system. His party would be happy to meet Minister Ong to explain it to him and suggest ways to overhaul the healthcare system and meet the basic healthcare needs of all Singaporeans, he added
Thanks for posting these. At this critical juncture, sinkies desperately need respected and credible opposition like Dr Tambyah to speak out and be a beacon. Seeing how the pap has fucked up, playing with our lives and putting profits and politics first. If the pap has any sense or scruples, they would listen to the best people we have, regardless of party affiliation.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yeah, but shift work, need to wear uniform, unpleasant environment which smells of death and antiseptic, and some people just can't be arsed dealing with other people's physical problems.

Money isn't everything. :cool:

Dealing with demanding customers is tough enough. Now imagine all your customers only have business with you when they are sick and unhappy about something. Now imagine that these unhappy customers are dealing with possible life and death issues. They themselves could die, or worse become paralyzed, lose a limb, lose their sight, lose their ability to speak. And their expectations are to not die, and to regain all function of their body.

This type of customers. We are not talking going drinking with Koreans, or going shopping or running errands for Japanese. It is all that too and more! I once had to accompany a patient down to the hair salon in the hospital to be with her as she had her hair done. A class patient who wanted a dr to be with her. Public hospital but A class patient.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for posting these. At this critical juncture, sinkies desperately need respected and credible opposition like Dr Tambyah to speak out and be a beacon. Seeing how the pap has fucked up, playing with our lives and putting profits and politics first. If the pap has any sense or scruples, they would listen to the best people we have regardless of party affiliation.
Thank you for reading.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
How about doctor?

Doctor no need run ads.

The parents at home all demanding the kids study hard become doctor. And the kids all brainwashed and deluded into thinking wah become doctor can own the GCB like the old old 80+ year old GP grandpa used to see.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doctor no need run ads.

The parents at home all demanding the kids study hard become doctor. And the kids all brainwashed and deluded into thinking wah become doctor can own the GCB like the old old 80+ year old GP grandpa used to see.
Lokun earn alot.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Lokun earn alot.

Yeah lor that's what everybody still thinks. LOL! And government happy to keep it that way.

The reality is that it no longer is the case. BTW what is "a lot"? All relative for sure.

In the older days we have hospitals and medical schools named after famous well respected and well to do doctors.

Name me a hospital or health centre or medical institute in Singapore named after a Dr.

I think only one is a bridge. Benjamin Sheares Bridge. And more because he was President than Dr.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock can challenge Ng Teng Fong? Yong Loo Lin? Khoo Teck Phuat?

yeah drs earn a lot. So do Property developers and Banking Tycoons. What is " a lot" ?

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for posting these. At this critical juncture, sinkies desperately need respected and credible opposition like Dr Tambyah to speak out and be a beacon. Seeing how the pap has fucked up, playing with our lives and putting profits and politics first. If the pap has any sense or scruples, they would listen to the best people we have, regardless of party affiliation.
I believe that Dr. Paul T. will be able to make great contributions to Singapore .

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah lor that's what everybody still thinks. LOL! And government happy to keep it that way.

The reality is that it no longer is the case. BTW what is "a lot"? All relative for sure.

In the older days we have hospitals and medical schools named after famous well respected and well to do doctors.

Name me a hospital or health centre or medical institute in Singapore named after a Dr.

I think only one is a bridge. Benjamin Sheares Bridge. And more because he was President than Dr.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock can challenge Ng Teng Fong? Yong Loo Lin? Khoo Teck Phuat?

yeah drs earn a lot. So do Property developers and Banking Tycoons. What is " a lot" ?
Singapore politicians are paid very generously compared to other developed countries, and professionals in Singapore.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I believe that Dr. Paul T. will be able to make great contributions to Singapore .

Dr T is a good man. If he is still the same as he was an ID (Infectious disease) registrar humble, kind, patient, willing to share and help , he is no doubt a very great asset to Singapore if he were in office. (Having said that people do get disillusioned, learn realities of life, get frustrated and change their views and approach to life with time).

Unfortunately, not enough Singaporeans have accepted him at the polls.

As we all know elections are not the best way to judge someone's actual abilities to make good policies and change.

More often than not the electorate is stupid in how they choose.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Singapore politicians are paid very generously compared to other developed countries, and professionals in Singapore.

Uhmm I would respectfully choose not to use the term "Singapore politicians". As people like Dr Chee, Dr Paul T, Dr Tan CB, LOTO are all also politicians and they do not earn what Singapore Cabinet Ministers earn.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doctor no need run ads.

I believe that most professionals (i am referring to accountants, architects, engineers, lawyers, medical doctors, pharmacists, etc), probably earn a decent comfortable income, but in order to make big money, an individual has to consider being an entrepreneur and businessman, or technopreneur.
Above all, an individual should pursue what interests him or her.
I desire to go to law school, but older brother indicated that my English is not good and therefore, I should not be a lawyer, and suggested thatbI go to business school or be an accountant.
After I qualified as a professional accountant in the True North, Strong and Free, I did not do accounting work.
I wanted to do an MBA combined with law school, but did not.
My parents did not push me to do any particular field or profession.
Accordingly, I did not steer our children to any area.
Oldest did a bachelors degree in environmental studies and geographical analysis and info system. Now into Master of Information Science, designing for retail and end users.
Second is in Engineering Science, aeronautical engineering, very demanding and heavy course load.
Third seeking to enrol in Life Science, and hopefully thereafter to Med School, with further specialization in dermatology.
Youngest, he could seek an organ scholarship in the USA or UK, otherwise, he said that he will do engineering.
I just pay the tuition fees and bills.