• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pastor Rony Tan said sorry

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't remove the videos from youtube and fall for this excuse. This is NOT about Christians vs Buddhist.

It is plain for all to see that it is about the particular person's character and intent. This is about the wayward and scheming behaviour that we have to warn our young ones about and avoid. This is the type that even JC warns his flock to be weary of.

KNN want to wipe away all evidence and sweep under the carpet. Sure tomorrow claim he is a reborn again.

I have received a number of emails from people who have been saddened and hurt by the testimonies of an ex-monk and an ex-nun.

I realized that my presentation and comments were wrong and offensive. So I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity towards the Buddhists and Taoists, and solemnly promise that it will never happen again.

When we have received those emails, we immediately removed the video clips from our website. I urge those who have posted those clips on the YouTube to remove them as well.
After reading the frank views from those emails, I was also prompted to tell my members not only to continue to love souls, but also to respect other belief and not to ridicule them in any way, shape or fashion.

Let's put our goal to build a harmonious Singapore a top priority.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
People will be confused. They are arresting kids but nothing happened to the Pastor. Its appears that the govt is concerned about losing votes from a sizable congregation.

There are 2 parts to this

1) How we treat religious beliefs amongst ourselves and just as importantly
2) How the Govt treats those who step on the sensitivities of others where race and religion is concerned.

I wonder if Walter Woon as the AG has any comments. This is not a light matter. The pastor took on a passive and peaceful religion and put up a video for the generally public to see. The least is a Police investigation and a warning and good behaviour bond.

fengshuisifu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surpised? because regilious leader act irrresponsibly & belittle other faiths in front of LIVE audience. I believe further investigation will be done

Singaporeans pledge..."regardless of religion as one united people".

Apologies is enough is just on a web site?....Let's wait, Singapore & Singaporeans alike..know better & the authorities I am confident will reflect the feeling too!

I am very surprised people not belonging to any faiths feel so strongly about such issues!

Why?

Spermlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to point out the USELESSNESS and BIAS-NESS of STOMP! They deleted discussion thread within minutes, for reasons everyone knows!

I have decided to get as many pple to alternate forums like this one (any other alternate ones??? Please list n provide here) and AVOID the stupid STOMP at ALL COSTS!

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the straits times he was stated as being approached by ISD.

however he claimed ppl emailed him as being upset thats why he apologized....

food for tots...

Spermlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the straits times he was stated as being approached by ISD.

however he claimed ppl emailed him as being upset thats why he apologized....

food for tots...

Haha...got handcuffed or not?

Pple emailed him and expressed upset n disappointed only? Never kena :oIo: in the emails??? I don't believe!

abeltcb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a free thinker and I am disappointed to see what is happening. Just said sorry is not good enough. He should be punish by law for creating trouble among religion.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20100209.084823_pastor.jpg

ISD calls up pastor for insensitive comments

THE Government called up a Christian church leader yesterday after receiving complaints about online video clips that show him making insensitive comments about Buddhism.

The Internal Security Department yesterday met Senior Pastor Rony Tan, founder of the Lighthouse Evangelism independent church, and told him that what he did was wrong.

Last night, he posted an apology on the church's website, promising to respect other faiths and 'not ridicule them in any way, shape or fashion'.

====================================================

Pastor's apology

I have received a number of e-mails from people who have been saddened and hurt by the testimonies of an ex-monk and an ex-nun. I realised that my presentation and comments were wrong and offensive. So I sincerely apologise for my insensitivity towards the Buddhists and Taoists, and solemnly promise that it will never happen again.

When we received those e-mails, we immediately removed the video clips from our website. I urge those who have posted those clips on YouTube to remove them as well.

After reading the frank views from those e-mails, I was also prompted to tell my members not only to continue to love souls, but also to respect other beliefs and not to ridicule them in any way, shape or fashion.

Let's put our goal to build a harmonious Singapore a top priority.'

====================================================

Leaders of Buddhist, Taoist groups urge restraint

THE Singapore Buddhist Federation said Senior Pastor Rony Tan's act of apologising was the right thing to do - for a start.

But it will still approach the authorities and have its voice heard in order to prevent similar incidents in future, it said last night.

'It is good that the authorities have looked at this matter, but this is a matter of national concern. We want to appeal to the public and the authorities to make sure there is no second time,' said the federation's secretary-general, Venerable Kwang Phing.

=======================================================

The man behind the controversy

SENIOR Pastor Rony Tan, founder of the Lighthouse Evangelism church, was born into a Taoist family.

In an online biography on his website, he wrote of how his childhood was a time when he was lost and bewildered, and how he 'blindly followed' the practices of his parents who worshipped 'a great variety of gods'.

He was filled with uncertainties, doubts and fears, and said that in matters of religion, 'I was left on my own to figure out the mysteries of life in order to make some sense out of sheer nonsense'.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/the+Straits+Times/Story/A1Story20100209-197516.html

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
DOUBLE STANDRADS

Why charge the teenagers for posting about Muslims, charge youths posting about "dark skin people" but this kind of ADULT and SENIOR people can just let off like this?!

CHARGE HIM

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is a useless guy, not fit to lead, those that follow him are also morons.

I have received a number of emails from people who have been saddened and hurt by the testimonies of an ex-monk and an ex-nun.

I realized that my presentation and comments were wrong and offensive. So I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity towards the Buddhists and Taoists, and solemnly promise that it will never happen again.

When we have received those emails, we immediately removed the video clips from our website. I urge those who have posted those clips on the YouTube to remove them as well.

After reading the frank views from those emails, I was also prompted to tell my members not only to continue to love souls, but also to respect other belief and not to ridicule them in any way, shape or fashion.

Let's put our goal to build a harmonious Singapore a top priority.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Funny that in the newspaper, they say ISD called up the Pastor and here someone asking us to thank TR.

TR=ISD?

We have to thank Wayang Party or TR for this. My immediate cause & effect, is write to the church, ask for the explanation on highlighting specific religion
& belittle Buddhism & attack the "core: of our teachings, specially hurting
me as a Budhhist. I made my feelings known.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great, you let off an adult who has said far worse things than a couple of teenagers but jail the youngsters. Not to mention, the video clips were proudly displayed and those young ones wrote in their private blogs.

Where is the justice?

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
People will be confused. They are arresting kids but nothing happened to the Pastor. Its appears that the govt is concerned about losing votes from a sizable congregation.

There are 2 parts to this

1) How we treat religious beliefs amongst ourselves and just as importantly
2) How the Govt treats those who step on the sensitivities of others where race and religion is concerned.

I wonder if Walter Woon as the AG has any comments. This is not a light matter. The pastor took on a passive and peaceful religion and put up a video for the generally public to see. The least is a Police investigation and a warning and good behaviour bond.

WRONG!

The CHURCH approved the interviews, the sermon AND the video! How can ONE pastor do all these alone WITHOUT approval from the rest of the Church management? Surely at least over half have to agree on this, plan it, find the people to interview, shoot the interview, edit the video and update the video on website!

The whole Church management MUST be invited to drink coffee! Not just one pastor! They are the same birds who share the feather, you arrest only one, the rest will continue to make trouble!

SEDITION!