• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our Spending Power down.. feel the pinch?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
msia where gt gst? ... tiz nt really true ... u r converting ur sgd salary in2 myr n do ze comparison ...
if u earn ur keep in msia, u wil find dat u oso easily money no enuf ...
if u compare using a pay in sg of 3000 sgd$ n a pay in msia of 3000 myr$, u find dat ur monthly expenses r more ......
No GST over the causeway. Right, price comparison is relative to income levels (parity of income/expenditure level. For example, bigmac benchmarking in diff countries).

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
No GST over the causeway. Right, price comparison is relative to income levels (parity of income/expenditure level for example bigmac benchmarking in diff countries).

there's GST, but not fully implemented only. because i remembered i was commenting to my mama that GST in M'sia was higher than Singapore... i happened to be looking at the receipt... :p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remembered there was once i paid for makan at Genting, the receipt got indicate GST lah. some places got, some places don't. you can read this few links if you like.
Zhihau, nein. Intentions were for GST rollout few years back. But as with many things Msia, this got put back on backburner..:wink: Else, would have been a BIG backlash... sodomees, sodomers, immigrants and sons of the earth included

Either you kena 10% service tax instead, or was simply opportunistic pricing:p

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Zhihau, nein. Intentions were for GST rollout few years back. But as with many things Msia, this got put back on backburner..:wink: Else, would have been a BIG backlash... sodomees, sodomers, immigrants and sons of the earth included

Either you kena 10% service tax instead, or was simply opportunistic pricing:p

hmm... you could be right... i should go to Genting to find out exactly what tax is that... :eek:

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
its 10% tax for govt...service tax not in yet....just to tell u this...let say u go Sunway Lagoon KL to play...be prepared to pay RM$80 per pax.....in SG....lets say NTUC one..is $15 per pax...

not saying Majulah SG...but just that in KL..really X....

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malaysian cousin came here...analysed...and say...not taking conversion of exchange rate into consideration....KL is dearer than SG...one bowl of mee there costs almost RM$4 liao...

actually if not taking into currency conversion into consideration, eating out in Msia certaintly cost more than Spore. Some of their buffet in hotel already cost more than RG$100.00. Taking into account that average income of an office worker to be around RG$2000.00, it very costly to eat out.

It only the life neccessity that is cheap as those items are heavily subsidied by the Msia govt. That one of the reason why many sporeans drive to JB to shop for grocery and petrol and now CNG.:cool:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
its 10% tax for govt...service tax not in yet....just to tell u this...let say u go Sunway Lagoon KL to play...be prepared to pay RM$80 per pax.....in SG....lets say NTUC one..is $15 per pax...

you mean the 10% i paid for is the Govt. tax?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i remembered there was once i paid for makan at Genting, the receipt got indicate GST lah.

some places got, some places don't. you can read this few links if you like.

tink dat 1 was gahmen service tax ... applicable @ f&b outlets oni ... however, if u eat @ roadside big signboard stalls, dey dun charge u dat ...

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you mean the 10% i paid for is the Govt. tax?
Wobble said:
its 10% tax for govt...service tax not in yet....
Gents, to put this tax in right perspective and your ringgit spending power over the causeway (in keeping with this thread). Most small establishments below a threshold turnover -no service tax. So, zhihau you can cramp your lifestyle and save on service tax too. Also to bury GST vagaries

http://www.internationaltaxreview.com/default.asp?page=62&PUBID=262&ISS=22909&type=2&SID=662163
Sales tax
Sales tax is charged and levied on all taxable goods:

manufactured in Malaysia and sold, used or disposed of, by any person who is, or is required to be, licensed under the Sales Tax Act 1972; or
imported in to Malaysia by any person for home consumption.
The Minister of Finance has prescribed the rate of sales tax to be levied, ranging from 5% to 15% of the value of the goods or other applicable rates.

Service tax
Service tax is payable on any taxable service provided by any taxable person, that is, a person carrying on the business of providing such taxable service. The rate of tax is 5%.

Goods and services tax
The implementation of a goods and services tax (GST) in Malaysia was proposed in the 2005 Budget to replace sales tax and service tax. No date or rate has yet been fixed for GST although the authorities have indicated that it could be implemented within the next two to four years. There is currently no draft legislation for GST.

More bedtime reading:
http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/cda/doc/content/dtt_tax_highlight_malaysia(1).pdf
http://www.lawyerment.com.my/tax/service.shtml

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah.. hijack my thread to talk about M'sian tax ah?
Pia, I was only trying to stretch zhihau's slush fund so he can afford to gallivant more over the causeway. :p:biggrin:

Or I appeal to his generosity to help me out to up my reduced spending power here.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Pia, I was only trying to stretch zhihau's slush fund so he can afford to gallivant more over the causeway. :p:biggrin:

Or I appeal to his generosity to help me out to up my reduced spending power here.

then the 10% tax is what tax? :confused:

peppyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
It only applies to S'poreans spending in S'pore, I suppose. FTs earn their money here and spend back home.

Bros here feel the pinch? :(quote]

Bro,

With the govt calling for wage restraint, and the next minute hiked up the public transport fare, you tell me... are we feeling the pinch ?
mad.gif

silver.shorts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, everything goes up except salary. Now, no more luxurious goods or expensive food. As long can fill my stomach with delicious and affordable hawker food, good enough.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, everything goes up except salary. Now, no more luxurious goods or expensive food. As long can fill my stomach with delicious and affordable hawker food, good enough.

Air-con Foodcourts the best !!

Prices in between restaurant and hawker centre !!