• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Orchard Road retailers want Vivian Bala to tell them why their shops still flooded

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Orchard Road floods: Shops want answers

20111225.132440_flood430.jpg

AsiaOne
Sunday, Dec 25, 2011

Retailers along Orchard Road are questioning why flood prevention measures put in place this year failed to stop flood waters from entering their stores on Friday.

They are upset that the slew of flood prevention measures introduced after last year's flash floods did not work.

According to The Straits Times, some of these retailers suffered losses after their stores were flooded.

Some had to close to clean up and repair damages, while others threw out food in keeping with food hygiene practices.

The English daily said Liat Towers' luxury retailer Hermes remains closed while fast-food chain Wendy's and coffee chain Starbucks opened only on Saturday afternoon.

These three stores were at least ankle-deep in water on Friday when heavy rain overwhelmed the flood barriers in front of their shutters.

Other shops in Lucky Plaza had their goods damaged before store assistants moved them to higher ground.

Sandbags placed near the basement entrance did not stop the flood waters from rising to about ankle-high.

Business losses for these shops are estimated to be between 20 and 60 per cent.

Those affected by the flood said they are disappointed this is happening again.

"We hope that the building management and the authorities can work out the real issues," a marketing and branding manager for Wendy's said.

An online news source said the flood gates were not the problem as they were raised at 3pm before the floods happened.

A spokesperson for the company which worked on the flood gates told the news source that it was the drain beside Liat Towers which was the problem as the water in it could not flow into Stamford Canal and overflowed into the basement.

The Straits Times also reported that national water agency Public Utilities Board (PUB) is working with various building managers to implement more flood protection measures.

PUB said it is working with the affected buildings' managers to find out how to help them install more flood protection measures.

According to PUB, Friday's floods were due to prolonged heavy rain that fell directly into Liat Towers' open basement area. [RT: LOL! what the fuck reason is this??]

Mr Steven Goh, executive director of the Orchard Road Business Association, said the panel of 12 local and international experts set up in June to look into the floods should give an answer on why the flood happened even after the measures were in place.

[email protected]

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

The carpark behind H&M flooded on Dec 23, 2011

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

Orchard Road in front of Delfi Orchard.

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

Orchard Road in front of Forum The Shopping Mall.

pic12.jpg

Pedestrian walking towards Paragon.

pic13.jpg

Outside Lucky Plaza

pic14.jpg

A photo of Lucky Plaza on Dec 23, 2011.

pic15.jpg

A photo of flash flood affecting fast food joint Wendy's on Dec 23, 2011.

pic16.jpg

pic17.jpg

pic18.jpg

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Orchard Road retailers want Vivian Bala to tell them why their shops still floode

Bola :"I am out Christmas shopping, I don't know what to say"!? This is just ponding, after the rain have stop, the ponds will go away, just be patient. :biggrin:

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Orchard Road retailers want Vivian Bala to tell them why their shops still floode

If if was Choo Wee Kiang in charge of Environment he would probably say it was not that there are not enough drains to take the flood water, there are just too many FTs that overcrowding the Orchard Road causing flood water to stop flowing to the drains..... hahahaha

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If retailers are looking for answers, they will not find it from the authorities. They will only find ponding excuses:wink:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Orchard Rd Retailers : '' Mr Vivian what's the Govt goin to do about this latest flood.. Sales have been affected badly... We are running at a loss..''

Sissy Vivian : '' What flood..??? The new term should be '' ponding ''.. Anyway we the Govt understand the sorry plight of you guys so my Ministry in collaboration with the Spore Tourism Board has decided to set up a prawning pond outside your shops when it rains heavily again..""

Orchard Rd Retailers : What..??? :eek: :confused:

Sissy Vivian : '' Think about this good proposal, guys... More tourists can do prawning and at the same time do their shopping at your shops.. It would generate good income for you and the Govt.. Its a win win situation for all of us..''

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What flood? It's ponding. P-O-N-D-I-N-G!

Also, I'm quite happy that level 1 of Lucky Plaza was flooded... most shops on that level are cheats and blacklisted. They're as notorious as those on the lower levels of Sim Lim Square. Do business with them at your own peril.

The Pinays must be quite sad that their #1 favorite hangout is flooded over the Christmas weekend.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Half Breed Bala to Orchard retailers : '' Don't worry I will asked my good friend Kumar and his buddies from the All Spore Ah Kua Union to do a Strip Dance outside your shops to attract customers.. Ah Kuas also got their own Union you know...''

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

I suggest the retailers should hand a petition letter to sissy Vivian that since he cannot handle this matter, it's better that he steps down and let someone with the appropriate engineering experience to take the lead. An eye surgeon how to handle longkangs and ponds? Bloody PAPies are really ridiculous indeed. Just like during my reservist time when people without a driving license (not even a Class 2B) were appointed as Vehicle Commanders. What a fucking joke?

Last edited:

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are these pictures of Thailand? LOL

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

damn jialat....

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garbage place full of ugly garbage locals and foreigners alike to eat and get stuff. They should all be cleansed by real floods there.

Not so lucky after all huh hahahahahaha. Lucky Plaza should have been torn down and rebuilt like Leisure Park to keep up with its slightly-classier neighbors at least.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

pondingpresent participle of pond (Verb)
Verb:

Hold back or dam up (flowing water or another liquid) to form a small lake.
(of flowing liquids) Form such a lake.

So even if they classify this minor event as ponding it is still correct.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Garbage place full of ugly garbage locals and foreigners alike to eat and get stuff. They should all be cleansed by real floods there.

Not so lucky after all huh hahahahahaha. Lucky Plaza should have been torn down and rebuilt like Leisure Park to keep up with its slightly-classier neighbors at least.

On the contrary, we should preserve our older shopping malls, or at least renovate them partially.

The rent of retail space in new malls, even those in the suburbs(e.g. nex), is insane.

Older malls include: Katong Shopping Centre, Golden Mile, Far East Plaza, Beauty World, City Plaza, Queensway Shopping Centre etc.

We don't want another mega mall with the same shit: One or two anchor department stores/supermarkets, Harvey Norman, the usual fast food, a Cineplex, Popular bookstore, a library, the three telcos' authorized retailers, Breadtalk and its subsidiaries, Giordano etc.

Utterly predictable cookie-cutter nonsense.

You have your high-class posh malls in TSC, Paragon, 313 and Vivo. Leave the older malls alone.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

My exact thoughts.

"According to PUB,
Friday's floods were due to prolonged heavy rain that fell directly into Liat Towers' open basement area. [RT: LOL! what the fuck reason is this??]"

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

why make so much noise about some simple pondings! singaporeans are damned spike!!! go live in bangkok and see how the thais handle their pondings....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday's floods were due to prolonged heavy rain that fell directly into Liat Towers' open basement area.

My existence was due to my parents having sex and then one of my father's sperm fertilizing my mother's ovum.

161938_158472167538861_7934580_n.jpg

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Time to protest like those Thais but sinkies got the balls to do it?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Time to protest like those Thais but sinkies got the balls to do it ?

Why don't you make the first move to organize and lead the protest..???....:wink: Pls reply if you agree to this suggestion of mine..:rolleyes: :biggrin:

niwdee

Alfrescian
Loyal

You want to get wet in a pond, lake or reservoir?
just be innovative, sell some sampans
I saw Big C selling sampans in Bangkok.