• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition, please wake up!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL! Old ghost returns to haunt and never die. So just have live with it.

well better to remind them else they forget.....won't want a Bak chor mee part II saga...:biggrin::biggrin:

but it would seems that come every GE, WP tends to have some slip ups....what was the one before this...i think had something to do with signing some forms or rather some one forgot to sign..???

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
on the contrary, a opposition is greatly needed but not based on the current make such as CSJ and company...

CSJ has energy. He tried to come up with alternate policies. Due to his disappointments with the political structure, he decided to take his fight on two platforms - one within the system and the other without.

There are plus and minus on his platforms.

If we talk about the mainstream media not giving attention to the Opposition, well CSJ is a big exception - a lot of negative attention is heaped upon him. On top of that, some apparent opposition supporters add their voices to the hatred.

So he fights on two fronts - one against the PAP and the other against the Opposition. How can he win?

One question: if he decide to make a U-turn, will the Opposition deride him?

Why not, if that U-turn can further the opposition's cause.

Why not, since everyone makes wrong judgments.

Why not, especially as U-turns are signs of courage and humility.

Yet the answer is "Yes, the Opposition or at least their supporters will deride him".

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well better to remind them else they forget.....won't want a Bak chor mee part II saga...:biggrin::biggrin:

but it would seems that come every GE, WP tends to have some slip ups....what was the one before this...i think had something to do with signing some forms or rather some one forgot to sign..???

Yes, thanks for the reminder. If any candidate in the WP does it again or if the WP allows anyone known to capable of doing it to stand again, I'd have no complaint against anyone who won't vote for the WP ever again.

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
That I agree.

Some conclude from here that the Opposition is therefore not needed.

Or the Opposition may lead us to the way the Thais are experiencing now.

I am not able to make that conclusion.

My belief is that with a good Opposition we will get a better PAP. In short, we will be more blessed.

Your belief is predicated on the definition of 'good'. During the old days what is 'good' is good and what is 'bad' is bad and there is no confusion. Now it is the opposite. What was 'bad' is now good. eg in old days Paris Hilton behavior is 'bad'. Now u ask any young girl and she will say she's 'good' because she is making a lot of $$$ because of her 'badness' which is good. Very confusing hah.:confused:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your belief is predicated on the definition of 'good'. During the old days what is 'good' is good and what is 'bad' is bad and there is no confusion. Now it is the opposite. What was 'bad' is now good. eg in old days Paris Hilton behavior is 'bad'. Now u ask any young girl and she will say she's 'good' because she is making a lot of $$$ because of her 'badness' which is good. Very confusing hah.:confused:

Yes, I know that. I wanted to explain earlier but felt that that will just digress the discussion into one of 'good'.

So let me define it this way:

'Good' is when the ruling party considers the impact of their policies on the people.

'Better' is when the ruling party considers that a good opposition will give definite voice in and out of Parliament, their opinions on their policies.

'Even better' is when the opposition can actually do something about it in Parliament.

'Best' is when the opposition can offer a viable alternative to the PAP's policies.

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ has energy. He tried to come up with alternate policies. Due to his disappointments with the political structure, he decided to take his fight on two platforms - one within the system and the other without.

There are plus and minus on his platforms.

If we talk about the mainstream media not giving attention to the Opposition, well CSJ is a big exception - a lot of negative attention is heaped upon him. On top of that, some apparent opposition supporters add their voices to the hatred.

So he fights on two fronts - one against the PAP and the other against the Opposition. How can he win?

One question: if he decide to make a U-turn, will the Opposition deride him?

Why not, if that U-turn can further the opposition's cause.

Why not, since everyone makes wrong judgments.

Why not, especially as U-turns are signs of courage and humility.

Yet the answer is "Yes, the Opposition or at least their supporters will deride him".

U can say all u like about this man until the 'cows come home' but anybody putting down his own country with foreigners and in foreign soil at all costs and involving others (his own sister and little children) to further his own selfish agenda is indeed regretably disgraceful and sickening!:mad:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, thanks for the reminder. If any candidate in the WP does it again or if the WP allows anyone known to capable of doing it to stand again, I'd have no complaint against anyone who won't vote for the WP ever again.

dun get me wrong i am not anti opposition, in fact i am all for a credible and strong opposition...CSJ really let many down...came out with a big bang but now he is down to a whimper...too bad he should know it is not a level playing field but yet he constantly or rather deliberately step on the mine field just to see how much damage it can do to oneself...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun get me wrong i am not anti opposition, in fact i am all for a credible and strong opposition...CSJ really let many down...came out with a big bang but now he is down to a whimper...too bad he should know it is not a level playing field but yet he constantly or rather deliberately step on the mine field just to see how much damage it can do to oneself...

Don't worry Sir Frank, we're on the same side, however unlevelled, but hopefully a side that wins more next time than the last time.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ has gone down that route, and its gonna be very, very hard to get out of it. Besides, those who believe he has done the right thing would be baffled and be very pissed off.

The moderates would be suspicious, and those from the other opposition parties wouldn't be convinced to a large degree.

My view is that he hopes in the long term, his views would be vindicated if Singapore ever shakes off PAP rule in one way or another. But certainly, even if a new non-PAP government is elected and takes office, it wouldn't be adopting the main mantra of what Dr. Chee's SDP has been saying all this while- yet.

I mean, he'd be pleased to see an end of the PAP reign, but the new government may not be too closely aligned to what he views and wants. It may not be as liberal as he wants it to be.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The opposition need to make their agenda clear to the population that check and balances are not about having 2 opposition or several NMPs in parliament. Our govt is a parliamentary system. the parliament majority party form the cabinet and control everything govt rise. 2 opposition MPs have zero power in parliament

The only REAL check and balances are a transfer of power where the new ruling party take over the govt and do a check on the previous govt deeds and again and again - a continuous transfer of executive power.

we have to ask ourselves, why does PAP need 95% of parliamentary seats to govern the country. Why should we give them this strong mandate when absolute powers corrupt all.