• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu looks at a screen. :biggrin:

1660827881636.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu met Sara. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 18:52 ·
Had the pleasure of meeting Ms Sara Duterte, the Vice President and Education Secretary of the Philippines recently via Zoom.
We had a good discussion and shared education priorities and latest developments in our countries.
Both of us were keen on providing more opportunities for professional exchanges between our teachers and school leaders to share innovative ideas and pedagogy, and for our schools to establish partnerships so that our students can get to know one another.
I look forward to working with her and her team to further our collaborations.

1660838167091.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited TJC. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing added 4 new photos.​

13 hrs ·
During my visit to Temasek Junior College, I asked students what skills and knowledge they would like to pick up the most, beyond their school subjects.
I had enthusiastic responses like cooking, embroidery, astrophotography and song-writing.
This affirms my belief that learning goes beyond a formal curriculum. While I was there, I got to ‘roam’ the streets of Spitalfields, London. This was through VR goggles that are used during the school’s geography lessons. IP 3 student Dylan shared that this allowed him to keenly observe the environment and cultural diversity of a different place, and he could then draw comparisons with Singapore.
The school also houses a MakerSpace, where students proudly showed me the prototypes that they created using the 3D-printers. These include a customized leg massager and even a contraption to test for cervical cancer!
These experiences let students develop soft skills like nurturing greater global awareness and creativity in problem-solving - which go further than the formal learning of geography and science.
I am heartened by their drive and curiosity to learn and pick up new skills beyond the curriculum.
1f60a.png

#ourschoolstories

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu introduces the 3 Cs. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

2 hrs ·
Our education system will face new challenges and opportunities with the shrinking lifespan of skills and an increasingly interconnected world.
At the World Vocational and Technical Education Development Conference, I shared how our vocational institutions will need to constantly innovate through the following three ‘C’s:
1f4da.png
Continual Learning (终生学习,学以致用) - We need to equip our trainers with the right skillsets to enable our learners to learn for life.
1f91d.png
Connections & collaboration (通力合作,相辅相成) - Our institutions must continuously connect with the world through overseas exchange and internship programmes.
1f4a1.png
Creation of new solutions for tomorrow’s challenges (勇于创新,开拓未来) - Frontier industries and trade associations should actively collaborate with our vocational institutions to generate new ideas and approaches.
Read my full speech here: https://go.gov.sg/worldvte

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wants to follow Japan's example. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

13 hrs ·
Pandemic or not, many schools now encourage students to do a wipe down of the table after their meals.
Am glad our children are picking up such good habits and social graces. I hope these habits and social graces can be extended to our whole society, where we do not expect others to clean up after us. Instead we try to leave behind a better place than we found it.
I have seen the Japanese do this regularly in their public places. I think we can and should too.
Do you agree?

1661003185952.png

1661003196646.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu introduces "Our Tanjong Pagar". :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

6 hrs ·
Tanjong Pagar GRC and Tanjong Pagar Town Council have come together to form Our Tanjong Pagar!
This page will share news, events, and other happenings in Tanjong Pagar and Radin Mas. And of course, if you have any interesting stories that you would like to share with us, do contact our team
☺️
To new beginnings and a caring, connected and sustainable community as Our Tanjong Pagar!
✨

#OurTanjongPagar

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Families, employers must embrace broader definition of success: Chan Chun Sing​

ads-ccs-130822.jpg

Education Minister Chan Chun Sing noted that system-wide changes are meant to recognise strengths and talents beyond grades. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
ng_wei_kai.png

Ng Wei Kai

PUBLISHED

AUG 13, 2022, 11:26 PM SGT

FacebookTwitter

SINGAPORE - Major changes have been made to the education system to provide more pathways for students, and families, employers and the community have to accept and embrace a broader definition of success, Education Minister Chan Chun Sing said on Saturday (Aug 13).
This recognition is necessary to ensure every student can fulfil their potential, regardless of their background, the minister said at a National Day dinner.
He was outlining his vision for a new social compact among Singaporeans as the country's fourth-generation ministers, led by Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, embark on the Forward Singapore exercise to engage citizens on shaping the country's future.

Mr Chan said that as students choose educational paths that are truly aligned with their interests and strengths, families must embrace their choices, and give them the encouragement and space to grow.
"As a community, we ought to celebrate and reward the diversity of talent, and not pigeonhole our students according to a singular, narrow yardstick of success.
"We also need the support of industries to be nimble in the ways they hire, recognise and support our workers - in valuing skills and character traits, rather than falling back on early educational achievements, in recognising that people will grow, and thus emphasising continuous upskilling and reskilling to help them unleash their potential," he added.

He said: "As a society, we must avoid placing importance only on what is easily measurable, and forgetting to appreciate what is more important but not so easily measurable."

He noted that systemwide changes - such as moving away from streaming in secondary schools and expanding direct and aptitude-based admissions for post-secondary education, are meant to recognise strengths and talents beyond grades.
The dinner at Tanjong Pagar Community Club was attended by more than 650 residents, grassroots leaders and representatives from clan associations, as well as Tanjong Pagar GRC MPs Indranee Rajah, Alvin Tan, Eric Chua and Joan Pereira, and Radin Mas MP Melvin Yong.
In his speech, Mr Chan identified three traits that should distinguish Singapore as it renews the social compact: It should be a place where everyone can achieve their best, regardless of background, strive to leave behind a better future for generations to come, and contribute meaningfully, regardless of their stage in life.

This is why no effort is spared in investing in hardware, from Tuas Port to Changi Airport, MRT lines, schools and healthcare facilities, he said.
The country has to strengthen its capabilities and connections too, he added, so it can continue to attract talent and investments.
"Our measure of success is not how many good jobs we can create for Singaporeans only in Singapore. Our measure of success is how many good jobs we can create for Singaporeans all across the world by growing the companies in Singapore and beyond Singapore," he said.
And the competition to create good jobs for the next generation starts now, he said.
There is also a need to rethink how all Singaporeans can chip in, he added.

He noted that many of the guests present at the dinner go above and beyond the call of duty to reach out to those in need.
"Many of the industries here, you offer us places where we can support people from disadvantaged backgrounds. You re-engineer your places of work to allow the special needs people to join you," he said.
"You did all these, not because the Government told you to do so. You did all these because you believe in it - that over and beyond just paying the taxes, you will put in what you can to make Singapore that community that is more close-knit, more caring, more heartwarming."
Thanking them for their efforts, the minister said such actions can be strengthened.
"For all of us who have benefited from the system, who have done well in the system, let us remember that we achieved all these because we have a society that allows us to achieve all these," he added.
They have a duty to pay it forward, and do their best to enable the rest to succeed, he said.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu went back to Margaret Drive Food Centre. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing added 7 new photos.​

11 hrs ·
Back at Margaret Drive Food Centre this weekend. More stalls had started operations since my last visit two weeks ago. Met several residents and they shared their happiness with this new facility.
Noticed a round trip shuttle bus service to Tanglin Halt Market for residents to do their marketing. This free service provided by People's Association will be available on weekends until the end of the month, when the neighbourhood will also welcome the opening of a supermarket.
Look forward to visiting again soon.

1661083987088.png