• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu seems very interested. :wink:

1658155768473.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu will share his experience. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 18:42 ·
Is your child taking PSLE this year?
As our children gear up in their preparations for the PSLE and the next step in their education journey, let us take a step back and reflect on how we can be a Present, Supportive, Loving and Encouraging (PSLE) parent by celebrating their efforts at every step of the journey.
Join me and fellow parent, Sha-En, on Saturday (23 July), 10am to 1130am (https://fb.me/e/1t8gevDJK) as we share our experiences as parents in supporting our children through the milestones of taking the PSLE and transitioning to secondary school education.

1658235388065.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu reiterated 3 ways. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

2 hrs ·
How can we keep the skills of our workforce current and relevant in a fast-evolving economic landscape?
We need to invest not just in the first 15 years of an individual’s formal schooling, but also in the next 50 years of his work life.
Our Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) are key partners in this endeavour. In 2021, they trained 345,000 adult learners, more than double the number in 2018!
At National University of Singapore’s inaugural Lifelong Learning Festival, I reiterated 3 ways our IHLs can continue to enhance support for our adult learners:
1️⃣
Academia and industry should work together to identify skills demand and curate relevant training.
2️⃣
We need to move beyond conventional full qualifications, such as diplomas and degrees, to deliver more timely and bite-sized training, or micro-credentials.
3️⃣
Our IHLs must work together as one integrated training system, to allow adult learners to stack modules across different institutions based on their learning objectives.
Some of these moves are already underway, and with the support of our IHLs and industry partners, I am confident that we will be able to provide Singaporeans with the support they need to upskill and reskill throughout life.
Thank you to all who have contributed, and I hope for more to join us on this journey.
#NUSLifelongLearning
#NUSFutureWork
#LifelongLearning
[
1f4f8.png
: NUS]

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu congratulates scholarship recipients. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

1 hr ·
My heartiest congratulations to all scholarship recipients at this evening’s PSC Scholarships Award Ceremony!
They will be stepping into a very different world of very different challenges and opportunities when they graduate in a few years. As a Public Service, I hope they will continue to dream big and far, adjust as circumstances change, and come up with innovative ways to seize opportunities and overcome challenges.
Just like our forefathers, they must possess the same gumption, tenacity and sense of mission. Just like those who came before us, they have to always put our country before self.
I look forward to the contributions of these future public officers who have stepped up to serve Singapore and Singaporeans.
Read my speech here: https://bit.Iy/3csSwEu

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu stresses the importance of racial harmony. :thumbsup:

Chan Chun Sing added a new video.​

8 hrs ·
What do you think of "stereotypes"? How would you react if your friend is a victim of racism?
These were some questions posed to students at Kranji Secondary School to get them thinking about how they would respond to different scenarios of racial stereotypes and racism during their Character and Citizenship Education lessons.
Students from Class 1R shared how "assumptions" and "feelings of hurt" are linked to stereotypes. Those from Class 4K2 felt that bystanders should step up to address racism as victims may be pressured not to speak up. They also learnt that "calling in" can educate others about different races and religions.
Racial harmony has been and remains a work in progress in multi-religious and multi-racial Singapore. As our schools commemorate Racial Harmony Day today, let us remember the importance of strengthening racial harmony and deepen our appreciation of diverse cultures.
#SGinHarmony

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is glad that all our students and staff are safe. :coffee:

Chan Chun Sing

9 hrs ·
Staff of Evergreen Secondary School alerted Singapore Police Force early this morning of a bomb threat to the school.
The Police responded swiftly and conducted a thorough sweep of the school compound. The Police have completed their security checks, and determined that it was a false threat.
The school staff and students stayed calm, and carried out their evacuation protocol as planned.
Parents were informed via Parents Gateway not to send their children to school. All students who were already in school this morning were fully accounted for, and they were asked to return home out of precaution. Teachers are checking in with students on their well-being, and school counsellors are on standby to assist any student if required.
I am glad that all our students and staff are safe, and thank the Police for their swift response.
The safety of our students and staff is paramount, and Ministry of Education, Singapore will not tolerate any threat or action that endangers our schools. Together with the Police, we will take necessary action against anyone who causes public alarm.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is surprised that his daughter speaks Korean and his son speaks Spanish. :biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

9 hrs ·
I was surprised to hear my daughter speak some Korean at home one day, and my son in Spanish the next when we only converse in English and Mandarin at home. They had managed to pick up some phrases just by watching TV shows and movies.
It made me ponder what makes our children, and by extension, learners as a whole tick when it comes to mastering a language. It goes beyond education in the classrooms - and is bolstered by our access to the plethora of online content available today, from popular dramas to language resources.
Shared this anecdote at the 22nd International Conference on Chinese Language and the Centre for Chinese Studies (ICCLC-22) hosted by Singapore University of Social Sciences.
Nurturing our children's mastery of languages begins with nurturing lifelong interest and confidence. I hope we will come together as a community to foster an environment that strengthens the culture of learning our mother tongue languages.
Congratulations SUSS on the 10th anniversary of the Centre of Chinese Studies! May you continue your good work in furthering discourse on Chinese language and culture.

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Use mother tongues beyond schools, Chan Chun Sing urges​

1658588928126.png

SINGAPORE - Schools may actively promote mother tongues like Mandarin, but a conducive bigger environment is important for students to be effectively bilingual.
Parents should make an effort to communicate with their children in their mother tongue so that it is not seen just as an examinable subject but a living and practical language, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing at the Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre on Thursday (July 21).
Mr Chan was speaking at the Singapore University of Social Sciences' (SUSS) 22nd International Conference on Chinese Language and Culture.

He added in Mandarin: "People who excel in a language are those who continue to use it outside school."
Professor Eddie Kuo, SUSS' academic adviser, told The Straits Times: "Singaporeans take our multilingualism for granted. It is part of our DNA and is uniquely Singapore."
The 82-year-old added: "However, there is room for improvement for the standards of mother tongues here, and enhancing our bilingual education policy is an ongoing journey."

The two-day conference, which ends on Friday, seeks to promote research on Chinese language and culture, language and society, and to strengthen collaborations between experts in related fields. The theme of this year's conference is Coexist and Evolve: New Perspectives of Language Policy and Language Diversity.

Mr Chan shared personal observations about his children who picked up some Korean and Spanish, saying that platforms like the Internet and YouTube can help one master a language.
With the rise of China now, there is even greater motivation to learn Mandarin as more people see the practical uses of the language, he said.
Building a good foundation and confidence in the language is important too, he added, sharing how he excelled in Mathematics after his confidence in the subject was boosted when a teacher complimented him in Primary 1.

He added: "Singaporeans' multilingualism will give them an edge in this polarised world, navigating between and connecting with different countries."
The conference, initiated by Beijing Normal University, the National Chinese Association of China and Hanyang University (South Korea), has been held for 21 years in various cities. It has become a major conference for scholars around the world working on various aspects of Chinese language and culture. It is held in Singapore for the first time this year and is hosted by SUSS' School of Humanities and Behavioural Sciences and the Centre for Chinese Studies (CCS).
The event also coincides with the CCS' 10th anniversary celebrations. To commemorate the occasion, SUSS launched a Chinese book titled Unity In Diversity: Language And Society In Singapore.
The 276-page book is co-authored by Prof Kuo, who also gave the keynote address on language planning and nation-building in Singapore, and Associate Professor Luo Futeng, head of Chinese programme at SUSS.
It discusses issues like Singapore's language planning and bilingual education policy.

Prof Luo, 62, said: "For a small country like Singapore to have four official languages speaks volumes of the respect it has for all races and cultures. Every Singaporean has benefited from the bilingual education policy, which gives them a lot of competitive advantage when they work or travel around the world."
Professor Cheong Hee Kiat, president of SUSS, said language policies here need to be intentional and holistic, well explained to stakeholders given the sensitive issues at stake.
"Given the volatility we see in the world today, among different nationalities and language groups, there is even more impetus and urgency for appropriate language policies to be formulated."
The book Unity In Diversity: Language And Society In Singapore is available at $24 (soft cover) and $38 (hard cover), inclusive of GST, online at this website.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu shares his views with Joanne Peh. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

10 hrs ·
“What Do I Know? with Joanne Peh”. Appeared on a podcast (https://bit.Iy/3vaeQJy) hosted by multi-talented actress and also parent of young children Joanne Peh.
Discussed and shared my views on several issues relating to education and mental wellbeing. I hope all our parents will continue to support one another in our parenting journey.
https://bit.Iy/3PyfJ6Z

1658671087970.png

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited KL. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

13 hrs ·
Made a working visit to Kuala Lumpur last Friday in my capacity as the President of the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation (SEAMEO) Council. SEAMEO was formed in 1965 to promote co-operation among Southeast Asian nations through education, science and culture. Singapore assumed presidency of the Council in 2021 for a two-year term.
Had fruitful meetings and good exchange of views with our Malaysian friends. Thank you for the warm hospitality!

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu visited School of Science and Technology, Singapore. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing added 7 new photos.​

8 mins ·
My visit to School of Science and Technology, Singapore got off to an exciting start — my chaperone for the day was Xiao Hong, a robot designed by Robotics@Apex, the school's Robotics CCA
1f609.png

The creativity of the students was on full display as Klifton showed me the robotic glove that he had learnt how to operate from his seniors. He also taught me how to drive using the remote gyroscope steering wheel!
When Zi En was demonstrating how the VEX robot retrieves a ball, it didn’t work — she explained that the gears could have gotten misaligned. Undaunted, she promptly moved on to show me the next function of the robot, the catapult. After some troubleshooting, she managed to get the robot to retrieve the ball. And therein lies the spirit of invention and innovation — to try, and try again, refining the process and design each time
1f4aa.png

The members of SST Inc. are part of the school’s Talent Development Programme and have developed over 30 apps! Many of these apps are designed to address real life needs, and one of them is now being used to share the school’s announcements
1f642.png
Was impressed by the projects of the students and glad that many of them are mentored by the school’s alumni.
May the culture of innovation and knowledge sharing enable the students to go even further.
#ourschoolstories