• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OCBC, SGX, SMRT, CNB all IT failure ... what the fuck

GeylangCheongster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a small country, so it is natural to import some foriegn talent

The problem is that the FT policy is uncontrolled, esp at employment pass level and to some extent the S-pass level.

In recent weeks, you have OCBC IT failure, SGX IT failure, SMRT IT failure and today CNB IT failure

Why suddenly like that? Because we have become dependent on FT IT folks, some with fake certificate

We are doomed because we don't use our own IT talent and import these problem talent

We will see more of this failure in future, without a doubt

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a small country, so it is natural to import some foriegn talent

The problem is that the FT policy is uncontrolled, esp at employment pass level and to some extent the S-pass level.

In recent weeks, you have OCBC IT failure, SGX IT failure, SMRT IT failure and today CNB IT failure

Why suddenly like that? Because we have become dependent on FT IT folks, some with fake certificate

We are doomed because we don't use our own IT talent and import these problem talent

We will see more of this failure in future, without a doubt

The Americans used them and learn it the hard way, they are getting rid of them. Now the papzis are following to learn the hard way. I hope the air traffic control system do not have such idiots or many lives will at stake.:(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read an artical in Today about IT mistakes costing companies million$$ They used Levis & the HK airport as examples of failures. It cited poor planning. :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey! Don't forget DBS!

Was writting a long story, to cut short, worked some years back a data centre where the air cond maintence, the IT dept local staff were replced by FT's; one working day the A/c Plant broke down, the standby didn't start, main did a routine test on Sat & this was a monday.

The data centre had to be shut down for the temp was getting hot, the locals were doing maint to the a/c plant for years & it was fine, till they got rid of the main people & outsource to ah neh to maintain the a/c plant.

DBS was a major embarassment, swept under the carpet. Shudder to think of the automated trains we are travelling on ?? how safe are they with the large number of FT's who is here for the monet, not the job!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is the IT contractor = IBM = technical sarpok in India?

All IBM meh? I only confirm DBS case is IBM coz my friend happened to be the team that was supporting the system. Best part was he quit 1 week before the system crash

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All IBM meh? I only confirm DBS case is IBM coz my friend happened to be the team that was supporting the system. Best part was he quit 1 week before the system crash

i not sure...hence i put "?" behind my statement...becomes question hee...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
poor planning or taking lowest quote?

Yes I heard about the problem(s) with the "lowest quote" system the PAP is so fond of using.

Some schools got the crappiest PC system money could buy because of this system:smile: Whenever the PCs failed, the vendor would just replace the faulty part with another cheap(refurbished??) part until the next failure:rolleyes:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CNB is part of government/ stat board...so for changing of IT systems, it is a must that they go through public tender (via GeBiz).

They could even be part of the IT revamping exercise with all agencies under the MHA umbrella...

so usually how they validate the tender? Collate results, recommend the lowest quote....otherwise, you need to justify to tender approval board why you did not choose lowest quote.

moreover, if multi-agency tender, lowest quote is the easiest to attain unanimity in a decision. Otherwise agency 1 and 2 and 3 all have differing opinions.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can totally understand why some pple try and avoid justifying anything. This is a case of getting screwed for trying to save money and prevent corruption. It's a royal pain in the backside to try to justify for anything. I've been trying to convince the Bosses to buy more expensive hardware/software upfront for some projects to so we can save money in the long run. Very huge startup cost = the moment they see the cost the boss faint totally ignoring future cost savings. Imagine having 5 guys in the approval list = having to do the convincing act 5 times. I can only imagine how many levels up the civil service have to go. It gets worse when U are justifying intangible stuff like service levels. Almost impossible to justify. It's a true test of your ability to Bullshit

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can totally understand why some pple try and avoid justifying anything. This is a case of getting screwed for trying to save money and prevent corruption. It's a royal pain in the backside to try to justify for anything. I've been trying to convince the Bosses to buy more expensive hardware/software upfront for some projects to so we can save money in the long run. Very huge startup cost = the moment they see the cost the boss faint totally ignoring future cost savings. Imagine having 5 guys in the approval list = having to do the convincing act 5 times. I can only imagine how many levels up the civil service have to go. It gets worse when U are justifying intangible stuff like service levels. Almost impossible to justify. It's a true test of your ability to Bullshit

if you r in private sector and already having such a hard time..
imagine those chaps in government / public sector.

recently there are talks of TCO...but still airy fairy concept...no bosses want to stick his neck up to justify anything less than lowest quote.

and with justifications in public sector / government sector means writing approval papers / justification papers...who suffer? The poor executives...

end up...recommend lowest quote, no questions, easy...job done...

in any case, anything happen not the purchasing people fault liao...

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CNB is part of government/ stat board...so for changing of IT systems, it is a must that they go through public tender (via GeBiz).

They could even be part of the IT revamping exercise with all agencies under the MHA umbrella...

so usually how they validate the tender? Collate results, recommend the lowest quote....otherwise, you need to justify to tender approval board why you did not choose lowest quote.

moreover, if multi-agency tender, lowest quote is the easiest to attain unanimity in a decision. Otherwise agency 1 and 2 and 3 all have differing opinions.

CNB could have hidden this error. I am not surprised with all the cock-ups. I am very surprised CNB came forward to admit their error. What made them so forthcoming is the greater surprise for me. They could easily sweep it under the carpet.

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
CNB could have hidden this error. I am not surprised with all the cock-ups. I am very surprised CNB came forward to admit their error. What made them so forthcoming is the greater surprise for me. They could easily sweep it under the carpet.

The error was minor and inconsequential. The effort to hide such a boo-boo would be counterproductive.