• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NUS graduate? Oh u are the top 30 or 50!

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
because the local universities are so good, employers will sack themselves in shame, give their jobs to you and throw money at you while saying, "We are not worthy! We are not worthy!"

-------

SINGAPORE: Two of Singapore's universities are now among the top 100 universities in the world, according to the latest edition of Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

The improved rankings of National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) will further enhance their appeal in attracting students of calibre.

But their presidents say rankings shouldn't be the only deciding factor.

NTU president, Professor Bertil Andersson, said: "Ranking may be just the first approach. I spent a lot of time talking to parents...I'm out recruiting students as well. When I talk to them, they ask if NTU passes NUS (in ranking). I say that's not the point. But of course NUS and NTU should try to be ahead internationally to position the country."

NUS president, Professor Tan Chorh Chuan, said the students should look at "what they are interested in, what are the strengths of the university, what kind of programmes the university offers, what are the particular features that distinguish a university from another and how that fits their profile."

Some of the parents and students Channel NewsAsia spoke to said that ranking is important when selecting a university as it gives them the confidence that the institution and the courses provided are recognised not just on a local level but internationally as well.

Hochiu Lin, a mother of two children, said: "When you tell people, 'I'm a graduate of NUS', they will be 'oh, you are from the top 50 or top 30'. It makes a lot of difference, and I think to a potential employer, it's very important."

Joyce Xiao Shuang, JC 1 student from Hwa Chong Institution, said: "Ranking represents how trustworthy a university is. If their ranking is very high, that means their programmes have certainly received a certain form of recognition."

However, others feel that other factors also play a part and what matters most are the job prospects of the individual upon graduation.

Leow Yao Yang, Year 6 student from Raffles Institution, said: "There are many factors involved in deciding your university (choice), like passion, finance, and more (importantly), your interest."

In addition to rankings, some students said they look at graduate employment surveys when selecting their universities.

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking retards don't even know how the ranking algorithm works. In some rankings, you get points for having a high % of international students and high % of international professors. So obviously our local unis spread their legs wide and invite all the foreigners in and that's why their ranking is high. NUS and NTU is shit

Last edited:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking retards don't even know how the ranking algorithm works. In some rankings, you get points for having a high % of international students and high % of international professors. So obviously our local unis spread their legs wide and invite all the foreigners in and that's why their ranking is high. NUS and NTU is shit

Our university is out of the top league....

simple observation...they cannot attract good professors..( some say the political climate is not right here..they will not have the academic freedom )

those who can make it elsewhere will not come here..
Those who are here are those who cannot make it...

There is not a single nobel laureate here in any of the faculty here..

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
obviously Professor Tey's sex scandal has not affected the rankings... local unis and their lecturers are only good at spreading their legs. even the country is like that!

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some NTU graduates I met cannot even think logically, what more to employ them.

But the blame should not fall on their shoulders alone for they have been brought up in an environment of rote memorising.

Asking them to solve real life issues and they look at you like aliens from outer space. And some got this thing in their heads that a degree is the pinnacle of achievements. Muahahaha!!!!!

seesuatah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you laugh at them.

Everyone are created differently. Each of us has special skills and talents. God made all of us this way.

If everyone has a same brain like mass production, do you think human civilization can survive?

Please dun give me craps about laws of nature. Because nature don't really care if you survive or not.

But the most important question is.

Why angmos keep asking me if I go back to China when I told them I am from Singapore? LOL!

Hasn't LKY paid alot of taxpayer monies to market SGP around the world?

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
top 30 top50? Is that why a lot of ministers studied overseas? Wait..... why would they do that if NTU and NUS is that "incredible?"

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some NTU graduates I met cannot even think logically, what more to employ them.

Be logical. Isn't that statement applicable everywhere? If you yourself is nowhere near logical, how do you expect to be able to identify logical candidates to employ.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why angmos keep asking me if I go back to China when I told them I am from Singapore? LOL!

Hasn't LKY paid alot of taxpayer monies to market SGP around the world?

I agree that the Govt has not publicize Singapore enough. But that again, some ang mos, particularly Americans, have been rather parochial in their disposition. Most are not able to put foreign countries other than the largest ones on the globe. Maybe a result of the education they have undergone.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even their own children does not study there.

Yes they do not put their own children in local universities. They put them in higher ranking universities overseas. But this applies for the elites because they have the money to do so.

For the ordinary people, those whose children can make it into local universities, they put them there. Only those who cannot make it here, find their way into some half pass six universities overseas.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Originally Posted by blissquek

There is not a single nobel laureate here in any of the faculty here"

Not true, NUS do have nobel laurate teaching in there on and off as visiting prof or heading centres as heads

Last edited: