• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat NTU Cheapskate Students Set Up Telegram Group To Eat Free Buffet Leftovers!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
24.03_News_Telegram-Buffet_Hazim-002-1024x683.jpg

By Adele Chiang

As first-year student Marisa Lee, 20, left her lecture theatre at the South Spine, she noticed a buffet spread where caterers were sweeping nearly full trays of rice, meat and vegetables into the bin.

Thinking of the money she could have saved had she been able to eat the leftovers, the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information (WKWSCI) student was prompted to create a Telegram group chat with her friend, Valerie Wong, to alert members to leftover food on campus.

“Food is often over-catered (at buffets). After the guests have finished eating, the leftovers often go to waste,” said Lee.

The group has quickly gained popularity among students, who laud it for reducing food wastage, widening their food options on campus and also, helping them to save money.

In the first week after the group was created on 21 Sep, the locations of six buffets on campus were shared in the group. Presently, the group has more than 1,550 members.

When asked about the reason for the success of the chat group, Wong, a first-year student at WKWSCI, said: “Which broke student wouldn’t want a free meal?”

One member is third-year School of Social Sciences student Cherine Quek, who was amused when she found out about the Telegram group.

“It’s a combination of two things that Singaporeans love: free things and eating,” said the 23-year-old.

Another member, first-year Renaissance Engineering Programme student Sim Zhi Qi, learnt of the group after a friend sent him an invite.

“Most events that I see around North Spine have a significant amount of leftovers, and the food often goes to waste,” said the 21-year-old.

The Telegram group allows students to get free food and minimises food wastage at the same time, he added.

The Nanyang Chronicle previously reported that food waste in NTU had increased from 72 to 78 kilogrammes per person annually from 2015 to 2016. Food waste continues to contribute to nearly half of the total waste in NTU each year.

Second-year School of Biological Sciences student Shamirah A’Azman said these buffets also offer more food options on campus, especially for those with dietary restrictions.

“For us Muslim students who don’t have as many food choices, these buffet leftovers are a good change from school food,” the 21-year-old added. So far, all the buffets Shamirah has been to are halal-certified.

On 28 Sep, members of the group were alerted to a buffet outside Lecture Theatre 8 at the North Spine. Some 20 to 30 people arrived to consume the leftovers.

One of them was second-year Nanyang Business School student Ong Chee Wee, who was having a project meeting nearby when he received the notification from the group chat.

“I had the leftover food for dinner,” said the 22-year-old. “I don’t think there were any leftovers after (everyone) took their portion of food,” he added.

But students should be cautious of eating leftover food from buffet lines.

Director of NTU Food Science and Technology Programme Professor William Chen said bacteria can contaminate food that is left out in the open for too long, which can result in food poisoning.

According to guidelines from the National Environmental Agency, food should not be consumed more than four hours after it has been prepared in the caterer’s kitchen.

Students should arrive and consume the food within this time span, which should be clearly indicated by the caterers, said Prof Chen.

He also strongly advised students to reheat the leftover food at more than 60 degree Celsius before consuming it as the heat helps to kill bacteria.

To tackle the issue of food wastage, Prof Chen recommends adopting a more proactive approach by dealing with the root cause of the problem — over-catering.

“The organisers might feel embarrassed if they do not (cater) enough food (for the guests), but it’s better to have less food than leftovers,” he added.

He suggests that event organisers should re quire students to indicate during the registration process if they will be consuming the food after the event.

Ideally, if the attendance for events is well-estimated, event organisers should not have to deal with leftover food.

School of Art, Design and Media (School of ADM) Student Club president Mavis Lim said the club uses the attendance rate of previous events to estimate how many students to cater for.

As the actual attendance rates often tally with the estimate, these events do not usually end with leftovers, added the 21-year-old.

But in the rare case of having leftover food, the student club typically offers them to students who did not attend the event, or the cleaning staff. They only throw away food as a last resort, said Lim.

The second-year student added that student clubs can play an important role in reducing food waste since most of their events involve catering food.

“(The School of) ADM will continue doing our part to minimise food wastage for future events,” she added.

http://www.nanyangchronicle.ntu.edu.sg/?p=12749

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah no class.During my time I used to attend all the faculty teas (to welcome freshies) and have the first bite as the freshies are normally shy to eat first. As an added bonus we get to talk to pretty girls from different faculties and sound them out on joining the freshie queen contest.
We only avoid the ones in the halls of residence as the block heads already know us

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiyah no class.During my time I used to attend all the faculty teas (to welcome freshies) and have the first bite as the freshies are normally shy to eat first. As an added bonus we get to talk to pretty girls from different faculties and sound them out on joining the freshie queen contest.
We only avoid the ones in the halls of residence as the block heads already know us

I am certain the guys in this telegram group, especially those cheapskates in the photo, are not getting laid. Women usually despise broke men, especially broke men who are so cheapskate.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am certain the guys in this telegram group, especially those cheapskates in the photo, are not getting laid. Women usually despise broke men, especially broke men who are so cheapskate.

These must be the "hungry ghosts" leftovers, when the 'gate closed' they didn't go 'home', can the Grass roots, do something? You are right, where are they going get laid for being so cheapskate? but don't worry, there are those 'holey' woman, with the dark frame glasses, buck tooth, skirts pass the knees, wearing those black coloured flat heels shoes, do go for these cheapskates. Many of these are 'certified virgins'....but they will squeal , if you hold their hands....some say...somewhere in there..gets wet.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
These must be the "hungry ghosts" leftovers, when the 'gate closed' they didn't go 'home', can the Grass roots, do something? You are right, where are they going get laid for being so cheapskate? but don't worry, there are those 'holey' woman, with the dark frame glasses, buck tooth, skirts pass the knees, wearing those black coloured flat heels shoes, do go for these cheapskates. Many of these are 'certified virgins'....but they will squeal , if you hold their hands....some say...somewhere in there..gets wet.

They are more shameless than some of the residents in my RC ward who want to tapao back the leftover beehoon, chicken wings and fishballs. Someone should tell these students to get a job instead of sponging off others.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now I want to see how the evil black hole going to kk act innocent say I anyhow say people harrassing me. Your description sounds like me as a young student and office worker. You are slandering good women across the world and will pay for it in due course either crushed or burnt to death for every insult done on me a pure virgin in the same league as Tesla and Newton. Your descendants too. Do evil get burnt in hell, pure and simple truth.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is solid proof that low class jiuhukia criminals are in cahoots with sinkie traitor dogs spreading lies about me. Very evil and devils doing gross injustice to me and yet shamelessly complaining their injustice from Umno and PAP.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is solid proof that low class jiuhukia criminals are in cahoots with sinkie traitor dogs spreading lies about me. Very evil and devils doing gross injustice to me and yet shamelessly complaining their injustice from Umno and PAP.

Low class evil hypocrite jiuhukia and sinkies thieves and slanderers indeed. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway it's ok to be cheapskate to oneself rather than be a thief and steal from others. And worse is unrepentant thief and slanderer discrediting victim to indemnify and justify own crime. The choice is clear who is high class human and who is low class animal criminal .

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The world is really something wrong to laugh at people cheapskate to oneself by eating leftovers that people do not want AFTER the buffet ended. Note the difference between this and people stealing food by ta bao DURING the buffet.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

These type will die with their hymen intact, unfuckable.
Got hole but not fresh.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The world is really something wrong to laugh at people cheapskate to oneself by eating leftovers that people do not want AFTER the buffet ended. Note the difference between this and people stealing food by ta bao DURING the buffet.

And needless to say the latter is what johntan did. Stealing is his forte and this jiuhukia thinks he is so smart to steal but actually zero wisdom.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw before anyone make false accusations at me again. I didn't go any buffet outside lecture theatre and don't recall there is even such a thing during my time. I only remember setting up booths outside lecture theatre to sell things to make money for charity or to collect donations for needy. Basically this buffet thing is none of my business. I am just speaking up for them. Period.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw before anyone make false accusations at me again. I didn't go any buffet outside lecture theatre and don't recall there is even such a thing during my time. I only remember setting up booths outside lecture theatre to sell things to make money for charity or to collect donations for needy. Basically this buffet thing is none of my business. I am just speaking up for them. Period.

Come to think of it I have been so fucking charitable to sinkies since young. No wonder I got good karma to escape my serious accident unscarred. I shall see each of you jiuhukia sinkies or whatever shit evil devil burnt and crushed to death for your evil crimes theft and slander.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how cum you’re still awake at 3am in the morning posting away like president trump? make sg great again?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
how cum you’re still awake at 3am in the morning posting away like president trump? make sg great again?

Jiuhukia Chinese evil devils are using the excuse of deepavali to play extremely loud firecrackers to disturb me. When jiuhukia go low, I go high to state truths.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jiuhukia Chinese evil devils are using the excuse of deepavali to play extremely loud firecrackers to disturb me. When jiuhukia go low, I go high to state truths.
didn’t know deewali is celebrated with firecrackers. must be chinksters celebrating mid autumn festival.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you’re being too obsessed with jiuhukia. they have gotten too deep into your psyche. to forget them you must make love with one to dispel the kongtao.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah might as well learn from trump to boast my school achievements. Not only I set up booths outside the lecture theatre, I called up and visited suppliers to get good price or consignment or even free items to sell to maximize donation. Organised coin collection donation drive too that collected $100k. And this is what fucking sinkies give to me in return. No wonder I can understand how Chia Thye Poh feel.