• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSP Tampines GRC please learn from WP

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP took no chances. WP fielded all its heavyweight A+ candiates in Aljunied GRC and concentrated its firepower there. They are rewarded with a convincing win.

Tampines GRC seemingly was an easier target but NSP failed to win it.

One reason is the quality of the NSP candidates contesting Tampines GRC.

In terms of rally speeches, above average are Syafarin Sarif and Reno Fong; average are Raymond Lim and Goh Meng Seng; hopeless is Gilbert Goh (he should win an award for downright dead boring speeches)!

With this slate of candidates, even with the negative ground sentiments against PAP, it is not enough to swing enough votes towards NSP.

Let's take the example of a computer shop. There is this MBT computer shop that is the only computer shop in the district and has been around for many years. The owner is rude to his customers and the prices are not attractive. In fact, the owner would raise the prices as and when he likes. But things you buy from the shop work and the owner always honour the warranty.

Now there is GMS computer shop setting up in the district. How is GMS shop going to compete with MBT shop?

If MBT shop sells a DVD recorder for $80, will it be good enough to win customers over if GMS shop sells the same DVD recorder for $69? The answer is "No".

The customers have inertia. It will take a lot more than just a discount to win the customers over. For GMS shop to win over the customers, the shop has to over deliver and be generous with the customers. For example, he needs to sell the DVD recorder at $39, plus give an extended warranty of 3 years, plus free 20 pieces of DVD, plus give first 100 customer free membership for one year that entitles to 10% of all items in the shop. On top of that GMS shop assistants must be pleasant looking, friendly, knowledgeable and give the customers a good feeling just by visiting the GMS shop. It is about overwhelming the customers with the good feeling.

Only then would GMS shop have a fighting chance to win over the customers from MBT shop.

So if we look at NSP in Tampines, they did not field the super good candidates and they did not overwhelmingly cover the grounds.

As GMS had himself admitted, NSP had overstretched itself.

To be fair, candidates like Tony Tan and Hazel Poa were not in the equation when GMS planned to contest Tampines GRC. Also, no one had expected a young 24 year old female unknown like Nicole Seah could have generated phenomenal popularity over such a short period of time.

It is pointless to get over 40% votes everywhere, yet you win no seats.

Hopefully, NSP could learn from this experience and concentrate their big guns and ammunition on their targets better next election.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's quite obvious that GMS has correctly identified Tampines and MBT as best target for NSP years ago, and his campaigning did start years ago. From WP side, their insistence on M-K was also obvious. They calculated that NSP should be concentrating firepower on Tampines, not M-K. It's also obvious WP need to contest another GRC near Aljunied, and B-TP and Tampines are even nearer to Aljunied then M-K. WP didn't insist on Tampines or B-TP but must have M-K since GMS declared on Tampines years ago and CST declared on B-TP years ago. The acceptance of the RP defectors disrupted the whole gameplan, from blessing to undoing. RP camped on west side for two years suddenly have half their candidates on east side with NSP just a couple of weeks before election and NSP still insisting on presence in the west side. How can NSP logistics not be overstretched?

Last edited:

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
the problem is NSP do not have many heavy weight candidates..except literally heavy weight

wpboleh

Alfrescian
Loyal
NSP managed to get decent results sole because of the pent up anger of the people against MBT and want to vote for opposition regardless of which opposition party. They were just piggy backing on this fact and expect wonders, and forgetting to address the swingers and kiasi population. Honestly, besides the few posters which were overwhelmed by the lighting posters, I couldn't feel any presence of NSP in Tampines at all. The pappies had came to my doorstep a few times but I just acted blur and refused to open the door. I was hoping the NSP people will visit and talk to the residents but they did not. No flyers were received at my end either.

Like what many had mentioned, Tampines GRC would have been an easy victory for the opposition if NSP had taken a more proactive approach, rather than sitting on it and hoping for the anti-pappies to do the rest of the work. This is not enough, there are still many kiasees and swingers who need further convincing. WP would have done a fine job if they were contesting for this GRC.

Given the "bo-chap" attitude which is apparent from NSP, I was starting to have doubts of what NSP can do for the people if they win. Nevertheless, I still voted for them in hope of crushing the darkside. NSP, you have thoroughly disappointed the people, if you can't do your job well, please let others like WP take over.

After this episode, I think I might volunteer to help WP.

sgge2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
No use contesting GRC when you can't even win a SMC.

Start from a SMC, just like LTK and CCT.

When you capture a SMC, you will have max exposure to all audience in Singapore.

Grooming a successor just like LTK groom YSL.

WP has shown how to capture a GRC, learn from them.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's quite obvious that GMS has correctly identified Tampines and MBT as best target for NSP years ago, and his campaigning did start years ago. From WP side, their insistence on M-K was also obvious. They calculated that NSP should be concentrating firepower on Tampines, not M-K. It's also obvious WP need to contest another GRC near Aljunied, and B-TP and Tampines are even nearer to Aljunied then M-K. WP didn't insist on Tampines or B-TP but must have M-K since GMS declared on Tampines years ago and CST declared on B-TP years ago. The acceptance of the RP defectors disrupted the whole gameplan, from blessing to undoing. RP camped on west side for two years suddenly have half their candidates on east side with NSP just a couple of weeks before election and NSP still insisting on presence in the west side. How can NSP logistics not be overstretched?

Yes, NSP has spread themselves too thin.

Though I do not think it was intentional, NSP (along with the other opposition parties) had helped WP by contesting in many wards such that there are no walkover PAP candidates free enough to come to Aljunied GRC to support the PAP team. (GCT could only make one trip.)

Z

Zombie

can be summarised in one word : focus (or rather the lack of it)

the central theme, the manpower, the engagement tactics.... shooting in all directions.....

to be frank.. I never expected nsp to win any seats (not even MP grc).. even though I think they deserved to win something for the effort.. :biggrin:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
NSP learn from WP:Kick controversials out--WP kicked out JBJ but stilll managed to to better than JBJ did.

So NSP, Kick out GMS replace him with Nicole.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
NSP learn from WP:Kick controversials out--WP kicked out JBJ but stilll managed to to better than JBJ did.

So NSP, Kick out GMS replace him with Nicole.

Since he has shown that he is not really a good speaker, GMS may help out in the background like Tan Chee Kien.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng should send a A-team to Tampines since many Singaporeans are angry about Marbok Tan and he is up for killing. Put Tony Tan, Hazel Poa, Nicole Seah and Syafarin in his team. However, he ran a slipshod campaign in Tampines and allow Nicole Seah to overshadow him. That's why Tampines residents will prefer to stay with the status quo as they didn't trust the NSP enough and they didn't make their presence felt.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do like to criticise GMS, but over this election, I felt GMS and NSP really did their best.

They sent out as much candidates as possible to let you and me and everyone else have a chance to vote and not give PAP a walkover. At the expense of risking $16,000 per person. Not everyone can have the heart to do that.

He has the passion and heart big enough to do his best and win votes. Every NSP member did their best. Maybe others can't feel it, but they have got good potential within them.

Now they have a few good people within their ranks, just form an "A" team from there for the next election.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do like to criticise GMS, but over this election, I felt GMS and NSP really did their best.

They sent out as much candidates as possible to let you and me and everyone else have a chance to vote and not give PAP a walkover. At the expense of risking $16,000 per person. Not everyone can have the heart to do that.

He has the passion and heart big enough to do his best and win votes. Every NSP member did their best. Maybe others can't feel it, but they have got good potential within them.

Now they have a few good people within their ranks, just form an "A" team from there for the next election.

Yes, this one must give credit to NSP. Because NSP contested Marine Parade, GCT could not come out and help the weaker PAP candidates. Even Aljunied, GCT could only visit once.