• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSP Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng on Talking Point, Sun 2 May 10.10pm

SwineHunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way Quan Yifeng knows nuts about Singapore politics and could be demolished by any O Level Chinese on political topics. Talk about foods and tours, maybe.

She is also the best host / mc for any tv charity programmes. She can make viewers part their money with her crocodile tears. Don't believe go ask myfoot123.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually I was not nervous. At the opening, I was interrupted by the host a couple of times, so it created that impression.

Most of the other time, thinking on my feet. The killer question came. Normally they will give the questions and agenda before hand. But this killer question is not in the question list.

Anyway, a lot more to learn about dealing with TV. It is quite a challenge to think on the feet and rebut as well as attack at the same time.

Goh Meng Seng

Can tell the mood is pressing in the studio while struggling to debate reasonably, thinking properly and showing respect to the host while she continued to interrrupt as if she did not have much time on hand to wait for answer. The other two PAP guests did not allow the host to interrupt and they have her mutual respect too. Personally, I felt you have a strong case just like any sensible Singaporeans who believe upping NCMP is politically motivated to fool the voters.

I suspect the killer question is asking whether you will take up the NCMP if given a chance. I wouldn't be so quick to reject the post in front of TV before election. Instead I will tell debra that I will not be motivated to take up the post if my winning percentage is less than 40% or so. If my winning margin is so close to PAP, I will let my voters down if they did not see me in parliament to voice for them and based on that I MIGHT consider taking up NCMP. Having said that I strongly urge voters do not rely on such new scheme to get their opposition into parliament without any voting rights for them...bla bla bla......something to that effect.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
think GMS say in SB that he will only accept NCMP with full voting rights.

Last edited:

Chau Ve Nist

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS was completely coherent and consistent in his point and stand. It's his English proununciation that's weak. Struggling with multisyllablic words like pluralistic which came out as plurostic. Anyway, he made a very good point and stood firm by it. The idea of more opposition voices inside Parliament has to be reducing PAP members in terms of voting rights. Otherwise, it's still PAP stranglehold on Constitution to change it as they like it.

Alvin Yeo was the one who lost the plot. He started by opposing NCMP, then admitted to voting along partyline to support NCMP, then ended up opposing the opposing of NCMP. However good his English is, he made no point and looked lost as a sheep in a maze. Gillian Koh was the real PAP representative there. Solidly behind PAP all the way.

VS, I know you are good friend and supporter of GMS. But sometimes, friends need to be told the truth.

One of the problems GMS has is that he truly, but mistakenly, believes he was the drawcard that led to the 43.9% result in Aljunied in 2006 when the fact was that he, along with TWH and Rahizan, were merely riding on the coattails of SL and to an extent, JG.

The other problem is that he is too immersed in Internet forums like this since scs days. Such forums have very strong partisan views and is in no way representative of what the milions out there in the real world thinks. He has been egged on by a miniscule fan base to the extent that he has actually been driven to believe that he is capable of doing things which is beyond his abilities. And this has led to this disaster.

While I dislike GMS for, amongst several reasons, his arrogance and chauvinistic leanings, I couldn't help feeling genuinely sorry for him when I watched the programme.

I hope he realises that there is, in particular, one of his very strong "supporter" here with very strong political leanings who has been egging him on to the point of driving him to failure and disaster. This "supporter" knows he can't contest in elections lest his successful but embarassingly chequered and womanising past be revealed to one and all. GMS should not allow himself to be used by those who see him as their plenipotentiary or their puppet.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was very impressed with GMS performance yesterday! He was clear, articulate and fluent in the interview. The Alvin guy was totally overwhelm by Meng Seng's charisma. Many Tampinies resident is now glad to have such a strong opposition in their wards. My sources told me MBT after watching the interview, now very worried and scare tt GMS will asked for national TV debate. GMS will deliver a knock out punch and end his career. Vote for NSP! 3 Cheers!

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alvin Yeo was the one who lost the plot. He started by opposing NCMP, then admitted to voting along partyline to support NCMP, then ended up opposing the opposing of NCMP. However good his English is, he made no point and looked lost as a sheep in a maze. Gillian Koh was the real PAP representative there. Solidly behind PAP all the way.

The discussion is a fair reflection of the state of politics in Singapore. Alvin Yeo came across as all style and very little substance. Goh Meng Seng on the other hand came acorss as a lot of substance but very little style.

If you read the body language, you can see that Alvin Yeo was clearly unerved by the point of how he opposed the NCMP bill but ended up voting for it. He fidgeted and he frequent shifted his leg.

Debra Soon purposefully broke Goh Meng Seng's momentum and directed the conversation flow to Gillian who appeared to speak on something which had nothing to do with what was being discussed. Debra Soon spoke next to give Alvin Yeo more time to prepare a reply. When Alvin Yeo finally spoke, all he could muster was a feeble reply on how he voted for the bill because there were parts of it he liked. This begs the obvious question: why hasn't he or any other PAP MP in the history of Singapore ever proposed amendments to bills with problems in it? Surely it cannot be that bad legislation can be passed into law simply by grouping it together with something good.

Goh Meng Seng clearly needs to work on his presentation to come across as being smooth and articulate. Unfortunately since he managed to tie one of the best lawyers in Singapore up in knots, it now seems very unlikely they will let him debate Minister Mah Bow Tan.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear sir, any TV exposure is better than no exposure at all. Any Marketing is better than no marketing at all. It is a chance for people to recognize you.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear ChauVeNist,

I do not know why you are feeling sorry for me because I really enjoy the process. Even after I have made Alvin Yeo jumped during the recording, we didn't have a fist fight after that. Instead, we are having a good conversation with a little of joke and laughter.

Well, I did what I have to do. Part of the job as SG of the party. But I could not understand why you would think that I believe as the drawcard that led to the 43.9% in Aljunied 2006. I guess for a person who is so egoistic like you would have such mindset but for us, every candidates in the Aljunied team, always believe that it is team work.

Each and everyone of us in the team has our strength and weaknesses. The construction of the team depends on whether we could complement each other. Wui Hua is the professional. Rahizan is an experienced Malay politician. Sylvia is the key woman star while James is the activist and I am the Mandarin anchor. Such combination is very hard to come by now. It would be very difficult to explain to a chauvinist like you what team work means. We appeal to different groups and segments of the electorates.

Obviously you didn't watch the Talking Point as you pretend to be. :wink: I am no puppet. A puppet will not give that kind of jabs at its "masters". :wink: I guess that explain why there isn't much publicity for this Talking Point series, no mention of names on their trailer. You go figure out... oh, I have forgotten that you are not in Singapore!

Goh Meng Seng

VS, I know you are good friend and supporter of GMS. But sometimes, friends need to be told the truth.

One of the problems GMS has is that he truly, but mistakenly, believes he was the drawcard that led to the 43.9% result in Aljunied in 2006 when the fact was that he, along with TWH and Rahizan, were merely riding on the coattails of SL and to an extent, JG.

The other problem is that he is too immersed in Internet forums like this since scs days. Such forums have very strong partisan views and is in no way representative of what the milions out there in the real world thinks. He has been egged on by a miniscule fan base to the extent that he has actually been driven to believe that he is capable of doing things which is beyond his abilities. And this has led to this disaster.

While I dislike GMS for, amongst several reasons, his arrogance and chauvinistic leanings, I couldn't help feeling genuinely sorry for him when I watched the programme.

I hope he realises that there is, in particular, one of his very strong "supporter" here with very strong political leanings who has been egging him on to the point of driving him to failure and disaster. This "supporter" knows he can't contest in elections lest his successful but embarassingly chequered and womanising past be revealed to one and all. GMS should not allow himself to be used by those who see him as their plenipotentiary or their puppet.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The person who needed sign language most is yrself. You are so full of yr own shit that you can't see yrself. I have placed the mirror for yr benefit because all those adjectives about you are exactly what you are. You dont have a point, or you dont want to make one, so all you do is throw tantrums here.

And I thought you were alraedy quite cheesed by repetitive use of "runner", so why are you back again with that childish vindictiveness? Don't be a copycat using other people's terms. Learn to be original. You have to grow up yr persona to engage usefully, refrain from being escapist, defeatist, nihilistic and basically moronic behaviour.

I am not quite sure whether you are too daft to even understand your own post, suffer from some sort of instant dementia or just being plain hypocritical. If you want to "engage" me in a "meaningful" discussion, spare me the lame insults and stick to the issues. This again, is what you wrote:

"So what's yr point really? Do you have a political stance or vp instead of these rambling cynical defeatist attacks?

Everyone to you is a loser, a bluffer, a liar or sycophant. Aren't we all trying to build some platform to take on the PAP? What's yr plan?

NS is useless, war is useless, the opp is useless, et al.

Rather than sound as if you are permanently suffering from a case of incurable nihilism and anarchistic psychosis, maybe you'd like to throw yr signature verbose weight in the direction that has some clarity, something intelligible, something intelligent for a refreshing change?"
Get someone to translate it into sign language if you don't understand what you yourself wrote.

For someone who claims to be involved in bde planning, you sure as hell have the puerile mentality of a young kid. You sure you are not just a CO's runner?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Point 1 : Channel News Asia devoted 20 min to this episode of Talking Point.
Is that their custom or does it not portray the whole programme as an afterthought or a 20-minute sound bite more akin to 'Just for Laughs' gags ?

Point 2 : All the speakers do not do justice to Singaporean's speaking ability.
Dr Gillian Koh being an academic & frequent lecturer, is easily most at ease & clear in her delivery.
Host Debra Soon also stumbled with her words & tried her best to paraphrase people or rush things along. She looked poorly prepared too.
Alvin Yeo, spoke matter-of-factly, no charisma whatsoever, dry & dead-pan.

As for GMS, well, we all know he is not a natural English Speaker..... but even SM Goh was branded a 'kayu'. So despite room for improvement, good effort, Meng Seng !

One suggestion, GMS, as someone who has judged regional speech contests before, I noticed you tried to shift focus - sometimes looking at the host, sometimes looking at the camera. I suggest you stick to looking at the host. Occasion al movement of the eyes to one side & the other tend to convey a certain shiftiness ... doesn't do justice to your sincere persona.

Also, exercise more ... maybe it's makeup or the lighting, but from your demeanor on TV, you should watch your health .....

And lastly, I do agree with Perspective, I think Ramseth has oversold GMS on & off .... but your loyalty & support to Meng Seng is of course laudable.:cool:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Debra Soon also stumbled with her words & tried her best to paraphrase people or rush things along. She looked poorly prepared too.

Debra Soon came across as being uncomfortable and under pressure. She is aware that PAP elders are watching this and was very concerned she would drop the ball. Hence the aggressive controlling of agenda and frequent paraphrasing of what the speakers had said. If she talked anymore, they should change the title of the program to "Debra Soon Talking".

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Thank you elephanto. Very good analysis.

Actually I know of the main problem. To listen to the three, making analysis on the spot, forming up the opinion and constructing the sentences at the same short span of time, it is quite demanding. I have to get used to that.

This is unlike giving a prepared speech whereby diction and construction of thoughts and sentences are being well prepared before hand. Obviously I am handicapped as I am not a English speaking guy. If it is conducted in Mandarin, I guess I would have performed much better.

I need plenty of practices before the next opportunity comes.

Goh Meng Seng

Point 1 : Channel News Asia devoted 20 min to this episode of Talking Point.
Is that their custom or does it not portray the whole programme as an afterthought or a 20-minute sound bite more akin to 'Just for Laughs' gags ?

Point 2 : All the speakers do not do justice to Singaporean's speaking ability.
Dr Gillian Koh being an academic & frequent lecturer, is easily most at ease & clear in her delivery.
Host Debra Soon also stumbled with her words & tried her best to paraphrase people or rush things along. She looked poorly prepared too.
Alvin Yeo, spoke matter-of-factly, no charisma whatsoever, dry & dead-pan.

As for GMS, well, we all know he is not a natural English Speaker..... but even SM Goh was branded a 'kayu'. So despite room for improvement, good effort, Meng Seng !

One suggestion, GMS, as someone who has judged regional speech contests before, I noticed you tried to shift focus - sometimes looking at the host, sometimes looking at the camera. I suggest you stick to looking at the host. Occasion al movement of the eyes to one side & the other tend to convey a certain shiftiness ... doesn't do justice to your sincere persona.

Also, exercise more ... maybe it's makeup or the lighting, but from your demeanor on TV, you should watch your health .....

And lastly, I do agree with Perspective, I think Ramseth has oversold GMS on & off .... but your loyalty & support to Meng Seng is of course laudable.:cool:

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since Dr Sun Yat Sen, we had talking about the people power but we still have a lot of space need to improve.

The President Council is appointed by Elected President. The citizen shall vote for member of President Council and the elected member shall vote for President Post.

The Parliament House was a one ruling party since Independent from Malaysia. We need a proportionate representation system to replace SMC and GRC.

On top of the Chief Justice, we shall elected a judicial council to supervise of judicial system.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS

I just watched the video on the CNA link. I thought you did alright. One point for improvement in yr future debate(s) I can think of is that you shld have all the ready rebuttals in hand and in yr head, esp to those common questions so that you will appear resolute, convincing, and committed. There were a number of instances where you could have demolished Alvin's or Debra's arguments with a short and sharp repartee without even waiting to be asked. It can trip up even the most prepared argument and break their momentum. But of course, it is easier said here than done, and I agree you have to have the presence of mind, listen well, and at the same time compose yr rebuttals. Then I say again, that's where rote rebuttals come in handy. They will also help you to reduce yr stammering. You also have a language command handicap but I thot you didnt do too badly in spite of that, since yr points actually come across anyway. All in all, not a disaster as one chap in this forum thinks. Then again he disliked you, so it was not objective and emo.

Thank you elephanto. Very good analysis.

Actually I know of the main problem. To listen to the three, making analysis on the spot, forming up the opinion and constructing the sentences at the same short span of time, it is quite demanding. I have to get used to that.

This is unlike giving a prepared speech whereby diction and construction of thoughts and sentences are being well prepared before hand. Obviously I am handicapped as I am not a English speaking guy. If it is conducted in Mandarin, I guess I would have performed much better.

I need plenty of practices before the next opportunity comes.

Goh Meng Seng

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS appeared nervous to me and choked a few times. I dunno why...maybe got phlegm?...Yea pronounciation is pretty much an issue especially with the two words "Constitution" and " Pluralistic"...two glaring mistakes which could make people cringe along with the choking.....Alvin Yeo is very eloquent but being a lawyer, he should be.. I didnt bother to take notice of his points as much as I pretty much knew it would be along the lines of his party......It was more to see how members of the different party hold themselves on TV.. GMS needs lots of improvement and maybe as explained he is more comfortable in mandarin hence I look forward to see him express himself again on TV in mandarin if given a chance...it is also well pointed out that he should not have directly respond to whether he would take up the NCMP post....should not have given a clear cut yes or no ans in this instance....now having explicitly said no....there is no turning back....perhaps SL or KJ would be better candidate to be opp rep on tv in english but obviously TV would not pick the best candidate for opp...lol....good job GMS nonetheless...TV is tough...

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Meng Seng, Ramseth had mentioned earlier your recording was actually for a longer duration meaning this discussion was like an hour ?!

...condensed into a 20-min segment some more with advertisements !

Can give us your assessment of Mediacorps editing (cum censorship if any) ?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Meng Seng, Ramseth had mentioned earlier your recording was actually for a longer duration meaning this discussion was like an hour ?!

...condensed into a 20-min segment some more with advertisements !

Can give us your assessment of Mediacorps editing (cum censorship if any) ?

In my assessment, the editing is pretty fair. The recording may be slightly more than 20 minutes although the whole process will take an hour or so, with lighting, positioning of mikes and things like that.

Goh Meng Seng

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS must have anticipated the killer question, and he answered as he saw fit.

Choking on 1st TV round table debate, not unexpected. Too bad having some pronounciation problem, but hopefully can communicate better during rallies,,,,

Face to face communication needs to be improved.........

anyway much better than the assLoong during the F1 chilli and onions interview..... congrats

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imho, as soon as viewers find out that GMS is Chinese ed, they will understand. Many heartlanders also cannot speak Queen's English, so as long as yr sentances are short and to the point, they will have an impact. As long as you dont look like Lim Swee Say. Those who have listened to teh Cheang Wan would know. Broken English, but his points are lucid, crisp and clear, using simple examples. E.g. when Debra tried to swing the topic back to Quality of Debate, GMS could have said, "You have 82 PAP MPs in parliament. Has quality of debate improved in the people's eyes?". Now that wld be a killer app.

GMS appeared nervous to me and choked a few times. I dunno why...maybe got phlegm?...Yea pronounciation is pretty much an issue especially with the two words "Constitution" and " Pluralistic"...two glaring mistakes which could make people cringe along with the choking.....Alvin Yeo is very eloquent but being a lawyer, he should be.. I didnt bother to take notice of his points as much as I pretty much knew it would be along the lines of his party......It was more to see how members of the different party hold themselves on TV.. GMS needs lots of improvement and maybe as explained he is more comfortable in mandarin hence I look forward to see him express himself again on TV in mandarin if given a chance...it is also well pointed out that he should not have directly respond to whether he would take up the NCMP post....should not have given a clear cut yes or no ans in this instance....now having explicitly said no....there is no turning back....perhaps SL or KJ would be better candidate to be opp rep on tv in english but obviously TV would not pick the best candidate for opp...lol....good job GMS nonetheless...TV is tough...