• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSman sold flat to fund daughter Meds Study Overseas but FAP welcomes FT Doctors!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Australia wants full fee-paying students. These spots are not available for locals. In sinkapore, our government pays the foreign students to study here. It is a double whammy for us.

Go to the Chinese forums and you'll see many PRC parents asking where to find accommodation for their kids who are coming to NUS in July.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gahment recruit oversea doctor becos of the current shortage, many well known ones left this tiny red dot. To train a new doctor needs 5 years and more for experience. Good ones went private and charge very high price!

Need to keep the medical cost low so get cheaper doctor from oversea.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nobody ask who he voted for?

Was about to ask that, but you have beaten me to it. In his 50's, would have believed in the PAP until they became his gods, would have backed them & disapprove any criticism of his 'gods', would have said those people, do not know how lucky they are are, being brought out of the farms, kelongs & urban slums to a first world country with affordable housing (HDB). At least he can boast that his 5 room flat, now sells for $600,000, can afford to educate his daughter education, but not enough for his own retirement.

Whom did he blindly believed in? but he had a good life...unfortunately he did not join as "member", if not would have even a better life..whom did he vote for??:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a quota for International students and the fees are higher. It does not eat into local quota and if it did there will be hue and cry and they won't be able to get away with it.

The point is that with a GCE A levels score of 3 As and a B, they would certainly get an interview in most good schools around the world.

Did he realize with his decision of sending his daughter overseas, a citizen of that country is also being deprived of a place in the university? How will he feel if his daughter in another country who is so gracious to take her in also encounter someone as ridiculous, myopic, xeno, as her father and get discriminated?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some years ago I wrote in SBF about a Malay Singaporean medical student in his final year who was insulted by a MOH recruitment team member. I was interested and found that are many Singaporeans and some are from HDB side that are studying medicine overseas. I understand each year there are few students from Singapore in each od=f all the Medical schools in Australia, some in UK , etc. Many take loans.

Sadly they do not return as their own country does not feel the need to accommodate them in local universities.

Pharmacy is another course where despite high grades, you will not get a place locally but it does not take much to do it overseas in term of entry grades and the qualifications are recognised here.

This type of stories one wonders real or not if not leave names. I mean many people will like to write stuff like this to discredit the government but to leave a name will make this story more genuine and believable. Anyway the part I am most touched about the story is when the angry man said he served NS and its true we who served NS should have privilege over those who did not if not then who and what are we defending for?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was about to ask that, but you have beaten me to it. In his 50's, would have believed in the PAP until they became his gods, would have backed them & disapprove any criticism of his 'gods', would have said those people, do not know how lucky they are are, being brought out of the farms, kelongs & urban slums to a first world country with affordable housing (HDB). At least he can boast that his 5 room flat, now sells for $600,000, can afford to educate his daughter education, but not enough for his own retirement.

Whom did he blindly believed in? but he had a good life...unfortunately he did not join as "member", if not would have even a better life..whom did he vote for??:rolleyes:

Sporeans are really dumb, especially those who look at the PAP as some kind of religion. :rolleyes:

Decades ago I warned people about the dangers of putting their faith on only one party. As I was naive back then I was simply looking at it as having alternative views in parliament. I never thought that having an alternative as a counter to Lee-galised corruption & nepotism.

Back then the internet didn't exist so there was little "open" discussion about LKY. Since the advent of the internet we are finding out more about the 1st family & the ugly side to being a "lesser mortal".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sporeans are really dumb, especially those who look at the PAP as some kind of religion. :rolleyes:

Decades ago I warned people about the dangers of putting their faith on only one party. As I was naive back then I was simply looking at it as having alternative views in parliament. I never thought that having an alternative as a counter to Lee-galised corruption & nepotism.

Back then the internet didn't exist so there was little "open" discussion about LKY. Since the advent of the internet we are finding out more about the 1st family & the ugly side to being a "lesser mortal".

I did the same thing, not that the PAP had not done anything to better the life of the pople, but putting our faith & hopes on one party , on the same people & later the same breed of people is a danger to us all. Nobody wanted to believe this danger, I wasn't liked. But I have the last laugh, those whom i have spoken to, scuttle when they see me today...for what they have 'bought' they are paying the price for & the worst part of it , it is like the ole cooking stains on woks, whatever remover you use...the presence of the stains remain...get what you, wished for. The danger is still around.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is really a big screw up by our government. Instead of investing to train more Singaporeans to become doctors, we are recruiting more foreign doctors. This is totally unacceptable and I might add, a treacherous act by the government!

I’m actually quite apolitical but this incident of NUS rejecting my daughter to study medicine when other good universities are accepting her, has given me a new perspective.

I really cursed this government!

Angry father [/INDENT]

apolitical is another word for ex-supporter. Obigood, pap supporter got screw by pap policies. wahahaha.... 50yo dont even have $300k cash?? pap lumber 1.......

serve him right for believing in pap all his life.

if his daughter have half a brain, stay in Ozland after grad as houseman in singapore only get $3000 a month and work 36hrs shift.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
apolitical is another word for ex-supporter. Obigood, pap supporter got screw by pap policies. wahahaha.... 50yo dont even have $300k cash?? pap lumber 1.......

serve him right for believing in pap all his life.

if his daughter have half a brain, stay in Ozland after grad as houseman in singapore only get $3000 a month and work 36hrs shift.

If sure would have 300K, but soon discover that, most of it are locked up in that Min sum, until "When"...for the apolitical realize that he must be political or his money is forever locked up for long term investment but his life is not that long...

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If sure would have 300K, but soon discover that, most of it are locked up in that Min sum, until "When"...for the apolitical realize that he must be political or his money is forever locked up for long term investment but his life is not that long...

cpf is a tax, only idiot believe the money inside belong to him. unless there a change of govt, no chance of getting cpf money.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is you got to admire the man. The daughter is obviously bright with that sort of grades and he is investing in his daughter. Eventually that medical degree will pay for itself. It pointless having $300k in you bank and nothing to show for it.

It may also be a blessing in disguise as the daughter can eventually settle in a first world country and begin a new chapter. Our dear NS man of a father might not even need a house in Singapore. He probably thank the PAP for it. He might even notice that many PAP ministers and MPs have sons and daughters working and living in first world countries while those with savings in SIngapore are fighting with Pinoys, Indians, PRC Chinese etc.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No money still want to get married and have a kid in Singapore? :rolleyes:

Thatcherism a.k.a 'you die is ur own biz' is very much alive and well in Singapore. Some things are beyond your own control, but you can avoid screwing yourself up financially.

Every Sinkie boy should have a vasectomy before he enlists for NS. That'll solve a lot of problems.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
i know someone in his thirties, after got married, could not afford to buy HDB cos HDB says he is earning minimal pay of $1500, isn't enough! so after seeing MPs for few rounds, and still unable to appeal through. he decided to buy a house in JB. now, he is happily staying there and travel to work here in s'pore daily.

see how bad the situation is, native sporeans being chased out of its own country due to constraints led down by gahmen. and ironically, he told me it was his malaysian friends who helped him in his house sourcing and so on.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's sad to see how easily people get their knickers in a twist whenever someone goes online to blame FTs for their own private failures. A few things are clear:

a) NUS YLLSoM takes in about one or zero foreigners per batch. This is common knowledge. Don't blame the government and certainly don't blame foreigners if you don't make the cut. Competition is purely local.
b) FT doctors currently in the system are intended to make up for shortfalls stemming from past policy mistakes ie capping medical intake in the past. Again, don't blame them if your 18 year old doesnt make the cut.
c) Medical school is not a charity. It certainly has no national responsibility to accommodate every kid's dream of becoming a doctor. It's responsibility is to train the best doctors for the country.
d) YLLSoM intake has increased significantly over the years to meet the projected demand for doctors. If your kid still can't make the cut, again don't blame others.
e) Nobody forced the old man to sell his flat. He's a fool. You will go bankrupt in due course if you forever try to shield your children from their failures. Most people get over their med school rejections and do one of the many other degrees offered by local universities at the state's expense, and they do not starve. That is the extent of the government's responsibility, which again certainly doesn't include the accommodation of substandard applicants to our medical schools.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lots of parents sold thier pigeonhole to fund their kids studies overseas. He is not the first and certainly wont be the last to do so. Immigration is the best option as school fees are less expensive for PRs. Get PR first, sell home, use sale proceeds to put down on new house, invest the rest and apply for daughter's school fee loan.
No need to complain much as it wont get you no where but homelessness.
Who, who get PR? The parents are 50 something. How? The daughter is not even working. She get PR? Under what category?

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's sad to see how easily people get their knickers in a twist whenever someone goes online to blame FTs for their own private failures. A few things are clear:

a) NUS YLLSoM takes in about one or zero foreigners per batch. This is common knowledge. Don't blame the government and certainly don't blame foreigners if you don't make the cut. Competition is purely local.
b) FT doctors currently in the system are intended to make up for shortfalls stemming from past policy mistakes ie capping medical intake in the past. Again, don't blame them if your 18 year old doesnt make the cut.
c) Medical school is not a charity. It certainly has no national responsibility to accommodate every kid's dream of becoming a doctor. It's responsibility is to train the best doctors for the country.
d) YLLSoM intake has increased significantly over the years to meet the projected demand for doctors. If your kid still can't make the cut, again don't blame others.
e) Nobody forced the old man to sell his flat. He's a fool. You will go bankrupt in due course if you forever try to shield your children from their failures. Most people get over their med school rejections and do one of the many other degrees offered by local universities at the state's expense, and they do not starve. That is the extent of the government's responsibility, which again certainly doesn't include the accommodation of substandard applicants to our medical schools.
Agreed that he's a fool.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That man is not alone. There are many like him and we have heard about similar cases and read about such concerns on the forum page and on online forums. These people will see first generation PRs and new citizens taking over places in local institutions and that sense of betrayal gets stronger. These then gets reflected in the polls.

More than a decade ago we already heard about PRC kids are one year older outdoing our kids in PSLE. We also heard about these foreigners who break bonds etc.

If this government cannot explain itself for all these they then have to blame themselves for the poor showing at the next elections.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you missed the point by a mile. We are bringing in foreign doctors from 3rd world countries to address the shortage. If we are self-sufficient this would not be an issue and that father would not even pen that letter. No logical person is going to say that my daughter deserves to go above someone with superior grades.

I will share with you something has been in place since the late 70s. There is a quota for Malaysians in medicine and their grades are tabled within that quota and unlike foreign universities the fees are similar to locals. Many of them have returned to Malaysia after serving their bond.

lesMISERABLES

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 70s, many of my classmates left for foreign universities to pursue their dreams of becoming medical doctors and lawyers. They could not get into our only local varsity due to screwed policies enacted by LEEgime. They never return to Singapore upon graduation.

They have made the right choice.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
fucking retards. U think if WP takes over the daughter would have made it into the medical course? Please use brains. If she cannot get in she cannot get in. Competition in SG Uni is way tougher than Aussie Uni. Just because she can get in Aussie uni means nothing. It's like expecting someone who can get into NUS to easily be able to walk into a China Uni or India's IIT. Competition level is totally different. Daughter CMI want to blame government. Useless retards