• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ng Teng Fong Hospital Fucks Up! Ignores Dentist Advice Because Dentists Are Not Real Doctors! Dead Patient! Honest Mistake! Let's Move On!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yq-ttshos-18042019_2x.jpg

SINGAPORE - The coroner has expressed concern that advice given by a dentist for his patient to be given a soft meal diet was not heeded immediately.

Instead, 67-year-old Simon Lee, who was warded at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital (NTFGH) and in a vulnerable state, was given meals based on a regular diet after he had three of his teeth extracted on Jan 16 last year.

After a meal based on a regular diet a day later, a nurse heard him coughing vigorously before he became unconscious.

Mr Lee, alias Lee Chwee Koon, died on Feb 18 that year due to a lack of oxygen and blood flowing to the brain, and pneumonia.

At the inquiry on Thursday (April 18), Coroner Marvin Bay said that Mr Lee's death was an unfortunate misadventure.

But he added: "It is nevertheless deeply concerning that dietary advice given by the dentist, Dr Bertrand Chew, was not immediately implemented.

"It would be clear that a patient in a situation of having undergone extensive dental surgery would be in a compromised and vulnerable state, with the ever present risk of choking needing to be appropriately anticipated and monitored."

Coroner Bay said the soft diet plan was not immediately implemented pending a review by the dietitian.

However, based on currently known facts, the coroner said it would not be possible to conclusively attribute Mr Lee's choking to be from the failure to provide him with a soft diet.

This was because he had a number of "known serious and chronic maladies" including "a previous stroke, past cardiac events and persistent coughing episodes".

He also noted that before falling unconscious, Mr Lee was able to eat regular meals on Jan 16 and 17 last year.

Mr Lee was treated for bacterial sepsis on Jan 11 last year at the hospital. It is a condition that arises when the body's response to an infection injures its tissues and organs.

On Jan 16, Dr Chew saw Mr Lee as the sepsis could have been caused by poor oral health.

Three decayed teeth from Mr Lee's left upper jaw were then extracted and Dr Chew submitted a recommendation to his colleagues for the patient to be placed on a soft diet.

The advice was recorded in their electronic medical report.

However, Mr Lee continued to receive meals based on a regular diet.

Coroner Bay noted that "NTFGH has taken positive steps following Mr Lee's demise".

"At the department level, there were efforts to improve the doctor to patient ratio to allow a speeding up of the processing of notes and orders," he added.

In a statement, a spokesman for the hospital said: “We wish to express our deepest condolences to the family of Mr Simon Lee.

“What happened was unexpected and the hospital has since taken positive steps to review and strengthen its processes to improve patient safety and prevent similar incidents from occurring.”

Mr Lee's son, who was present in court on Thursday, declined to comment when approached.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/hospital-patient-dies-after-being-given-regular-meals-instead-of-soft-diet

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some hospital and nursing staff are morons. real fucking morons. it is as though the staff and hospitality sides don't read and follow medical advice and reports but go about doing work and business as usual, like stupid unthinking robots. common sense is totally voided. for example, i advised both nursing and hospital staff in sg not to serve "sweet" and "sugary" items to a patient as he's diabetic. and i even checked the diabetic box in the admission checklist with remarks "diabetic - no sweet and sugary food!" but hospital still served toast with jelly and coffee with sugar. i even joked during admission process that coffee to be served for breakfast next day should be "kopi-o kosong" but staff taking down meal options and needs was dumbfounded as she didn't catch the joke and had no idea what that was. fresh off the boat foreigner in sg for sure. so i re-emphasized again "coffee only, no cream no sugar." "oh sir, we don't have cream here. milk only." "ok, no milk." but i forgot to say "no milk, no sugar" again, and that must had meant to her as "no milk only." and then their lunch and dinner meals had sugar in the gravy. i tasted them before allowing vip patient to take a bite. these foreign hospital staff have human interaction and language skills of 0.69 in a scale of 1 to 6.9. must require form to ascertain an instruction or advice, even for meal options. and worse, must be in ward to check their compliance. suka suka send (wrong) food to patients. pinoy and tiong nurses lagi bad. do blood pressure and heart beat measurements every 69 minutes and they still get it wrong. tie arm band around patients on one arm and clip their index finger on same arm. like that how to get proper measurement on finger tip as that same arm is pressurized? only one nurse did it right, and she is local ah neh. older and more senior than the rest of nursing staff. but she may be retiring soon. she put arm band on one hand and clip finger on another hand. told her she did it right and only one who did it right whole time i'm in hospital ward checking on patients. this kind of stupid mistakes hospitals and moh must correct. many docs assume hospital is staffed by competent people. wrong.

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
It may be Heng Swee Kiat Ministry's fault that possibly Dental & Medical System sare disconnected and different files. Dental prescription not connected to medial hospital. In the usual medical hospitals, it is automatically linked and updated that e.g. renal or cardiac will treat someone in other than own wards, but whatever prescribed will be seen by ward's doctor and nurses' terminal, staff nurse ordering meal will also see in same screen.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
some hospital and nursing staff are morons. real fucking morons. it is as though the staff and hospitality sides don't read and follow medical advice and reports but go about doing work and business as usual, like stupid unthinking robots. common sense is totally voided. for example, i advised both nursing and hospital staff in sg not to serve "sweet" and "sugary" items to a patient as he's diabetic. and i even checked the diabetic box in the admission checklist with remarks "diabetic - no sweet and sugary food!" but hospital still served toast with jelly and coffee with sugar. i even joked during admission process that coffee to be served for breakfast next day should be "kopi-o kosong" but staff taking down meal options and needs was dumbfounded as she didn't catch the joke and had no idea what that was. fresh off the boat foreigner in sg for sure. so i re-emphasized again "coffee only, no cream no sugar." "oh sir, we don't have cream here. milk only." "ok, no milk." but i forgot to say "no milk, no sugar" again, and that must had meant to her as "no milk only." and then their lunch and dinner meals had sugar in the gravy. i tasted them before allowing vip patient to take a bite. these foreign hospital staff have human interaction and language skills of 0.69 in a scale of 1 to 6.9. must require form to ascertain an instruction or advice, even for meal options. and worse, must be in ward to check their compliance. suka suka send (wrong) food to patients. pinoy and tiong nurses lagi bad. do blood pressure and heart beat measurements every 69 minutes and they still get it wrong. tie arm band around patients on one arm and clip their index finger on same arm. like that how to get proper measurement on finger tip as that same arm is pressurized? only one nurse did it right, and she is local ah neh. older and more senior than the rest of nursing staff. but she may be retiring soon. she put arm band on one hand and clip finger on another hand. told her she did it right and only one who did it right whole time i'm in hospital ward checking on patients. this kind of stupid mistakes hospitals and moh must correct. many docs assume hospital is staffed by competent people. wrong.

you don't say? :wink:

I've also watched in horror during the 6.9 times I've accompanied someone to hospital. It seems that there is a rush for cheap foreign labour with dubious qualifications to fill a staff count. Few of these people know what's going on. Short sighted bottom line thinking.... :mad:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It is sad that Simon Lee had ended up in such a decrepit state at a tender age of 67.

Had he taken up cycling as a sport he'd still be fit and healthy and enjoying life to the fullest.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
you don't say? :wink:

I've also watched in horror during the 6.9 times I've accompanied someone to hospital. It seems that there is a rush for cheap foreign labour with dubious qualifications to fill a staff count. Few of these people know what's going on. Short sighted bottom line thinking.... :mad:

I need a Hernia operation but I'm too scared to go through with the procedure because I have zero trust in any health system anymore.

I figure that as long as it is not causing me any pain I'll just put up with the situation and hope that it holds together till the end of my days.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I need a Hernia operation but I'm too scared to go through with the procedure because I have zero trust in any health system anymore.

I figure that as long as it is not causing me any pain I'll just put up with the situation and hope that it holds together till the end of my days.
is that a case of tua lam par? painless but can grow huge until it's a pain to carry it around.
1555614546999.png

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not inguinal which is why there is no pain at the moment.
my case of hernia was diagnosed as a bullet-sized "hole" in my groin at birth. water seeped through and a skin pouch developed, but it wasn't painful nor malignant. my parents had a surgeon patched it up and excess fluid removed. it's now normal. the "bullet" hole was inflicted in a war during the end of my past life, according to an angmoh guru who lived in the alps on the border of italy and switzerland. the bullet went through a fuselage into the cockpit and right between my legs. it led to my death. the "wound" has fully healed now that i'm made aware of its cause and origin. the surgical "patch" only helped the physical part, not the whole. there are other parts of the "healing" process.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

is the condition progressive or is it stable? agree with you on the pain and zero trust issues, but you don't want to be in pain that is continuously escalating as you near the end. Also be on the lookout for strangulation issues. this can cause problems that arise out of nowhere that are hard to treat.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
my case of hernia was diagnosed as a bullet-sized "hole" in my groin at birth. water seeped through and a skin pouch developed, but it wasn't painful nor malignant. my parents had a surgeon patched it up and excess fluid removed. it's now normal. the "bullet" hole was inflicted in a war during the end of my past life, according to an angmoh guru who lived in the alps on the border of italy and switzerland. the bullet went through a fuselage into the cockpit and right between my legs. it led to my death. the "wound" has fully healed now that i'm made aware of its cause and origin. the surgical "patch" only helped the physical part, not the whole. there are other parts of the "healing" process.
can pm me the contact of your past life guru?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The late Mr Lee had poor oral health, which led to his death. This is why I always take my oral health seriously, brushing and flossing after every meal.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Caused by spending too much time on the saddle?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
After a meal based on a regular diet a day later, a nurse heard him coughing vigorously before he became unconscious.
KNN take note that nurse only heard him coughing vigorously but likely no nurse there was there to attend to his vigorous cough or anticipate any medical emergencies becas if you have been in a ward to observe you will discover when patient vomit etc rarely there will be attention unless the patient or family members call for the nurse KNN even if nurse attended to it the response time from the oncall doc is another matter KNN

Mr Lee, alias Lee Chwee Koon, died on Feb 18 that year due to a lack of oxygen and blood flowing to the brain, and pneumonia.
KNN perhaps he was already fated to Koon due to Chwee related issues when he was born KNN

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN take note that nurse only heard him coughing vigorously but likely no nurse there was there to attend to his vigorous cough or anticipate any medical emergencies becas if you have been in a ward to observe you will discover when patient vomit etc rarely there will be attention unless the patient or family members call for the nurse KNN even if nurse attended to it the response time from the oncall doc is another matter KNN

KNN perhaps he was already fated to Koon due to Chwee related issues when he was born KNN
KNN maybe he lim chwee then ji tao koon KNN.
KNN...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
is the condition progressive or is it stable? agree with you on the pain and zero trust issues, but you don't want to be in pain that is continuously escalating as you near the end. Also be on the lookout for strangulation issues. this can cause problems that arise out of nowhere that are hard to treat.

Seems to be stable at the moment. If it starts to hurt I'll be forced to get it fixed. The last one I had was fixed with surgical mesh placed via keyhole surgery.