• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious New Zealand - the Plutonium standard

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Better than HK, SG, Taiwan, and Macau.

NZ is the PLUTONIUM standard in covid containment. They are not even satisfied with containment. THEY ARE going for ELIMINATION.

The infection graph is set to flatten out even when plotted on a LINEAR SCALE!

Take that Leongsam. Linear scale flattening! You only know of log scale flattening, which obscures the underlying arithmetic growth!

covid-19-case-data-total-confirmed-probable-8apr20_0.png

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Better than HK, SG, Taiwan, and Macau.

NZ is the PLUTONIUM standard in covid containment. They are not even satisfied with containment. THEY ARE going for ELIMINATION.

The infection graph is set to flatten out even when plotted on a LINEAR SCALE!

Take that Leongsam. Linear scale flattening! You only know of log scale flattening, which obscures the underlying arithmetic growth!

covid-19-case-data-total-confirmed-probable-8apr20_0.png

The grass always looks greener on the others side of the fence doesn't it. :smile:

It's flattening out because there aren't enough test kits and they're being severely rationed. One of my mates is at home sick but he's still waiting to be tested. He has fever and sore throat. Wife is worried as shit and he has three children all stuck at home but they can't get away from each other as they're all in lockdown. He's been waiting since 2 Apr to be tested. They won't give him priority because his fever does not meet the threshold to trigger urgent action.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...-nasal-swab-shortage-could-be-nationwide.html

This woman waited 9 days ended up infecting others.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...ovid-19-test-infected-manager-in-process.html

In Auckland lots of testing centres are closed because they have run out of supplies.

As is always the case the devil is in the details. If you can't do the necessary tests of course the curve flattens.

As for the lockdown a huge number are just ignoring it and gathering at houses for BBQ, booze sessions etc There's a home just 100 metres from me that is packed with people nightly. Police have been round but nothing has changed.

There have been 37,000 reports to the police of breaches to the lockdown rules but that is just the tip of the iceberg. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12323550

The infection rate in NZ is probably the same as it is in most other countries ie about 1%.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In case you thought I was making things up just to bolster my contrarian view.

Coronavirus: Symptomatic Kiwis denied COVID-19 tests despite widening of criteria
Michael Morrah

3-4 minutes

Newshub has discovered people are still being denied COVID-19 tests even with referrals from doctors or Healthline.

A woman who lives on the remote D'Urville Island in the Marlborough Sounds says she and her family were told to get tested. They took an 11-hour round trip to a testing station to get it done only to be told on arrival "they didn't fit the criteria".

Helen Aplin, her husband and children are all sick. They have fevers, sore throats and headaches, prompting a Healthline nurse to tell her and the family to get tested.

"She advised us that it was definitely worth doing that and she felt it was important that we did," Aplin told Newshub.

The family also had recent contact with an overseas traveller. But Aplin wanted to be sure it was necessary to travel for hours by car and boat to reach Nelson's testing station.

She says a nurse at the clinic also told her "everyone in your bubble needs to come for a test".

"She was adamant that we should go into town," she says.

The family arrived at the testing station only to be told they didn't meet the criteria.

"Pretty frustrated that we're subjecting the children to a totally wasted day, putting them at possible risk.

"The children had been sitting in the car for a good 10 to 11 hours."

Last week, the Government widened testing, with the Prime Minister saying it meant people with COVID-19 symptoms, even without travel history, could be tested.

The Ministry of Health's Director-General said on Wednesday he doubted people were getting rejected.

"I would be very surprised if people with COVID-like symptoms are being denied a test because the protocol Healthline has been using for over a week now under the new case definition is much more inclusive," Dr Ashley Bloomfield says.

Blenheim resident Ryan McQuillan, who's also sick, and his family were also referred by Healthline and their family doctor, but they too were denied a test.

"We heard what I think everyone else heard, that if you've got COVID symptoms to call Healthline," he told Newshub.

The latest version of testing criteria in New Zealand says you qualify if you have "acute respiratory infection and other symptoms" like a cough. GPs can also use their clinical judgement.

McQuillan's two-year-old son, Frank, has respiratory issues.

"He was hospitalised back when he was five-months-old, so I'm fairly sure he's someone at risk with respiratory conditions.

"To get the runaround - it's unhelpful in an already testing time."

The call went out to test, test, test, but people who want it still can't get it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The easiest way to look good is to not test too much. Don't trust the Kiwi numbers. I have been here long enough to know how things work. It took a dose of the bad government that I experience here to realise just how good the PAP is.

That's why my mantra is "The PAP is the best". It rolls easily from the tongue because I actually mean it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
An interesting snippet of information. About 15 years ago the government of the day started boasting that burglaries had dropped thanks to their tough stance on crime.

It turned out that there had been a change in police policy. The only burglaries that made the news and that were included in the stats were the ones the police responded to and they only responded if the burglar was still on the premises and there was a chance of apprehending the scumbag on the spot.

However if you went for a weekend holiday and you found your house ransacked the police would do nothing more than tell you to contact your insurance company.

As a result of this most burglary victims ended up not bothering to report burglaries at all. The insurance companies had far better stats than the police.

If you don't report a burglary of course it won't show up on the police stats.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
New Zealand isn’t just flattening the curve. It’s squashing it.

HAVELOCK NORTH, New Zealand — It has been less than two weeks since New Zealand imposed a coronavirus lockdown so strict that swimming at the beach and hunting in bushland were banned. They’re not essential activities, plus we have been told not to do anything that could divert emergency services’ resources.
People have been walking and biking strictly in their neighborhoods; lining up six feet apart outside grocery stores while waiting to go one in, one out; and joining swaths of the world in discovering the vagaries of home schooling.
It took only 10 days for signs that the approach here — “elimination” rather than the “containment” goal of the United States and other Western countries — is working.

The number of new cases has fallen for two consecutive days, despite a huge increase in testing, with 54 confirmed or probable cases reported Tuesday. That means the number of people who have recovered, 65, exceeds the number of daily infections.
AD

“The signs are promising,” Ashley Bloomfield, New Zealand’s director general of health, said Tuesday.
The speedy results have led to calls to ease the lockdown, even a little, for the four-day Easter holiday, especially as summer lingers on.

New Zealand prime minister 'checks in' on the country via Facebook Live

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern addressed the country March 25, in a Facebook Live post as a month-long lockdown was set to take effect. (The Washington Post)
But Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is adamant that New Zealand will complete four weeks of lockdown — two full 14-day incubation cycles — before letting up. She has, however, given the Easter Bunny special dispensation to work this weekend.

Sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter to track the outbreak. All stories linked in the newsletter are free to access.
How has New Zealand, a country I still call home after 20 years abroad, controlled its outbreak so quickly?
When I arrived here a month ago, traveling from the epicenter of China via the hot spot of South Korea, I was shocked that officials did not take my temperature at the airport. I was told simply to self-isolate for 14 days (I did).
AD

But with the coronavirus tearing through Italy and spreading in the United States, this heavily tourism-reliant country — it gets about 4 million international visitors a year, almost as many as its total population — did the previously unthinkable: It shut its borders to foreigners March 19.
Two days later, Ardern delivered a televised address from her office — the first time since 1982 that an Oval Office-style speech had been given — announcing a coronavirus response alert plan involving four stages, with a full lockdown being Level 4.
A group of influential leaders got on the phone with her the following day to urge moving to Level 4.
The deserted central business district of Wellington, New Zealand, on March 26, after the country’s lockdown kicked in.
The deserted central business district of Wellington, New Zealand, on March 26, after the country’s lockdown kicked in. (Marty Melville/AFP/Getty Images)
“We were hugely worried about what was happening in Italy and Spain,” said one of them, Stephen Tindall, founder of the Warehouse, New Zealand’s largest retailer.
AD

“If we didn’t shut down quickly enough, the pain was going to go on for a very long time,” he said in a phone interview. “It’s inevitable that we will have to shut down anyway, so we would rather it be sharp and short.”
On March 23, a Monday, Ardern delivered another statement and gave the country 48 hours to prepare for a Level 4 lockdown. “We currently have 102 cases,” she said. “But so did Italy once.”
From that Wednesday night, everyone had to stay at home for four weeks unless they worked in an essential job, such as health care, or were going to the supermarket or exercising near their home.
A few hours before midnight, my phone sounded a siren as it delivered a text alert: “Act as if you have COVID-19. This will save lives,” it said, referring to the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. “Let’s all do our bit to unite against COVID-19.”
AD

Coronavirus? Pandemic? For many in Sweden, life goes on as usual.
From the earliest stages, Ardern and her team have spoken in simple language: Stay home. Don’t have contact with anyone outside your household “bubble.” Be kind. We’re all in this together.
She’s usually done this from the podium of news conferences where she has discussed everything from the price of cauliflowers to wage subsidies. But she also regularly gives updates and answers questions on Facebook, including one done while sitting at home — possibly on her bed — in a sweatshirt.
There have been critics and rebels. The police have been ordering surfers out of the waves. The health minister was caught mountain biking and taking his family to the beach. He was publicly chastised by Ardern, who said she would have fired him if it weren’t disruptive to the crisis response.
A lone cyclist at sunrise in Auckland, New Zealand, on March 26. The country’s strict lockdown measures appear to be paying off.
A lone cyclist at sunrise in Auckland, New Zealand, on March 26. The country’s strict lockdown measures appear to be paying off. (Phil Walter/AFP/Getty Images)
But there has been a sense of collective purpose. The police phone line for nonemergencies has been overwhelmed with people calling to “dob in,” as we say here, reporting others they think are breaching the rules.
AD

The response has been notably apolitical. The center-right National Party has clearly made a decision not to criticize the government’s response — and in fact to help it.
These efforts appear to be paying off.
After peaking at 89 on April 2, the daily number of new cases ticked down to 67 on Monday and 54 on Tuesday. The vast majority of cases can be linked to international travel, making contact tracing relatively easy, and many are consolidated into identifiable clusters.
Because there is little evidence of community transmission, New Zealand does not have huge numbers of people overwhelming hospitals. Only one person, an elderly woman with existing health problems, has died.

Bolsonaro may be the world’s coronavirus skeptic in chief
The nascent slowdown reflected “a triumph of science and leadership,” said Michael Baker, a professor of public health at the University of Otago and one of the country’s top epidemiologists.
AD

“Jacinda approached this decisively and unequivocally and faced the threat,” said Baker, who had been advocating for an “elimination” approach since reading a World Health Organization report from China in February.
“Other countries have had a gradual ramp-up, but our approach is exactly the opposite,” he said. While other Western countries have tried to slow the disease and “flatten the curve,” New Zealand has tried to stamp it out entirely.
Some American doctors have urged the Trump administration to pursue the elimination approach.

In New Zealand’s case, being a small island nation makes it easy to shut borders. It also helps that the country often feels like a village where everyone knows everyone else, so messages can travel quickly.
New Zealand’s next challenge: once the virus is eliminated, how to keep it that way.
AD

The government won’t be able to allow people free entry into New Zealand until the virus has stopped circulating globally or a vaccine has been developed, Baker said. But with strict border control, restrictions could be gradually relaxed, and life inside New Zealand could return to almost normal.
Ardern has said her government is considering mandatory quarantine for New Zealanders returning to the country post-lockdown. “I really want a watertight system at our border,” she said this week, “and I think we can do better on that.”

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
New Zealand isn’t just flattening the curve. It’s squashing it.

HAVELOCK NORTH, New Zealand — It has been less than two weeks since New Zealand imposed a coronavirus lockdown so strict that swimming at the beach and hunting in bushland were banned. They’re not essential activities, plus we have been told not to do anything that could divert emergency services’ resources.
People have been walking and biking strictly in their neighborhoods; lining up six feet apart outside grocery stores while waiting to go one in, one out; and joining swaths of the world in discovering the vagaries of home schooling.
It took only 10 days for signs that the approach here — “elimination” rather than the “containment” goal of the United States and other Western countries — is working.

The number of new cases has fallen for two consecutive days, despite a huge increase in testing, with 54 confirmed or probable cases reported Tuesday. That means the number of people who have recovered, 65, exceeds the number of daily infections.
AD

“The signs are promising,” Ashley Bloomfield, New Zealand’s director general of health, said Tuesday.
The speedy results have led to calls to ease the lockdown, even a little, for the four-day Easter holiday, especially as summer lingers on.

New Zealand prime minister 'checks in' on the country via Facebook Live

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern addressed the country March 25, in a Facebook Live post as a month-long lockdown was set to take effect. (The Washington Post)
But Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is adamant that New Zealand will complete four weeks of lockdown — two full 14-day incubation cycles — before letting up. She has, however, given the Easter Bunny special dispensation to work this weekend.

Sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter to track the outbreak. All stories linked in the newsletter are free to access.
How has New Zealand, a country I still call home after 20 years abroad, controlled its outbreak so quickly?
When I arrived here a month ago, traveling from the epicenter of China via the hot spot of South Korea, I was shocked that officials did not take my temperature at the airport. I was told simply to self-isolate for 14 days (I did).
AD

But with the coronavirus tearing through Italy and spreading in the United States, this heavily tourism-reliant country — it gets about 4 million international visitors a year, almost as many as its total population — did the previously unthinkable: It shut its borders to foreigners March 19.
Two days later, Ardern delivered a televised address from her office — the first time since 1982 that an Oval Office-style speech had been given — announcing a coronavirus response alert plan involving four stages, with a full lockdown being Level 4.
A group of influential leaders got on the phone with her the following day to urge moving to Level 4.
The deserted central business district of Wellington, New Zealand, on March 26, after the country’s lockdown kicked in.
The deserted central business district of Wellington, New Zealand, on March 26, after the country’s lockdown kicked in. (Marty Melville/AFP/Getty Images)
“We were hugely worried about what was happening in Italy and Spain,” said one of them, Stephen Tindall, founder of the Warehouse, New Zealand’s largest retailer.
AD

“If we didn’t shut down quickly enough, the pain was going to go on for a very long time,” he said in a phone interview. “It’s inevitable that we will have to shut down anyway, so we would rather it be sharp and short.”
On March 23, a Monday, Ardern delivered another statement and gave the country 48 hours to prepare for a Level 4 lockdown. “We currently have 102 cases,” she said. “But so did Italy once.”
From that Wednesday night, everyone had to stay at home for four weeks unless they worked in an essential job, such as health care, or were going to the supermarket or exercising near their home.
A few hours before midnight, my phone sounded a siren as it delivered a text alert: “Act as if you have COVID-19. This will save lives,” it said, referring to the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. “Let’s all do our bit to unite against COVID-19.”
AD

Coronavirus? Pandemic? For many in Sweden, life goes on as usual.
From the earliest stages, Ardern and her team have spoken in simple language: Stay home. Don’t have contact with anyone outside your household “bubble.” Be kind. We’re all in this together.
She’s usually done this from the podium of news conferences where she has discussed everything from the price of cauliflowers to wage subsidies. But she also regularly gives updates and answers questions on Facebook, including one done while sitting at home — possibly on her bed — in a sweatshirt.
There have been critics and rebels. The police have been ordering surfers out of the waves. The health minister was caught mountain biking and taking his family to the beach. He was publicly chastised by Ardern, who said she would have fired him if it weren’t disruptive to the crisis response.
A lone cyclist at sunrise in Auckland, New Zealand, on March 26. The country’s strict lockdown measures appear to be paying off.
A lone cyclist at sunrise in Auckland, New Zealand, on March 26. The country’s strict lockdown measures appear to be paying off. (Phil Walter/AFP/Getty Images)
But there has been a sense of collective purpose. The police phone line for nonemergencies has been overwhelmed with people calling to “dob in,” as we say here, reporting others they think are breaching the rules.
AD

The response has been notably apolitical. The center-right National Party has clearly made a decision not to criticize the government’s response — and in fact to help it.
These efforts appear to be paying off.
After peaking at 89 on April 2, the daily number of new cases ticked down to 67 on Monday and 54 on Tuesday. The vast majority of cases can be linked to international travel, making contact tracing relatively easy, and many are consolidated into identifiable clusters.
Because there is little evidence of community transmission, New Zealand does not have huge numbers of people overwhelming hospitals. Only one person, an elderly woman with existing health problems, has died.

Bolsonaro may be the world’s coronavirus skeptic in chief
The nascent slowdown reflected “a triumph of science and leadership,” said Michael Baker, a professor of public health at the University of Otago and one of the country’s top epidemiologists.
AD

“Jacinda approached this decisively and unequivocally and faced the threat,” said Baker, who had been advocating for an “elimination” approach since reading a World Health Organization report from China in February.
“Other countries have had a gradual ramp-up, but our approach is exactly the opposite,” he said. While other Western countries have tried to slow the disease and “flatten the curve,” New Zealand has tried to stamp it out entirely.
Some American doctors have urged the Trump administration to pursue the elimination approach.

In New Zealand’s case, being a small island nation makes it easy to shut borders. It also helps that the country often feels like a village where everyone knows everyone else, so messages can travel quickly.
New Zealand’s next challenge: once the virus is eliminated, how to keep it that way.
AD

The government won’t be able to allow people free entry into New Zealand until the virus has stopped circulating globally or a vaccine has been developed, Baker said. But with strict border control, restrictions could be gradually relaxed, and life inside New Zealand could return to almost normal.
Ardern has said her government is considering mandatory quarantine for New Zealanders returning to the country post-lockdown. “I really want a watertight system at our border,” she said this week, “and I think we can do better on that.”
Jacinda and her government are doing a bang up job!:thumbsup: They truly care about their people. Kiwis are so lucky.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best country throughout this pandemic is Belarus... Sweden blinked first... Belarus dont give a single fuck...

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yeah they care so much that they turn sick people away in order to look good.
Not really boss. They merely share your opinion that covid-19 will only kill those who would've died anyway due to a disease or illness. Covid-19 isn't that bad!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You keep talking down your own place of residence. You're almost as big as ingrate as I am.

Ardern should come down and fuck you good.

I'm not talking it down it's a great place despite the government.

All I've done is reveal the reasons why the numbers look good. It's the same reason why they look good in many 3rd world countries and the answer is that there is not enough test capacity.

If you want to award a prize just based on the numbers the trophy has to go to Vietnam. 97 million inhabitants ZERO deaths and only 251 infections.

Compare that with NZ's 4 figure of 1210 infected (out of 4.9 million population) and 1 death and tell me which country has top spot on this dubious podium.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Another country that is setting standards.

Cambodia : 17 million population 117 cases and ZERO deaths.

Curve is flat. Very few new cases. Last new case was 1 on 7th April.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 09.46.46.png