• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Zealand for Beginners !

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christchurch is too cold for me and I don't think I would ever want to live there (sorry, Kiwibird). They also have a bigger problem with hoons though I think it is more subdued now.

Christchurch is SUNNY, less crowded and with a properly insulated home, not too bad actually. Costs of living generally is lower than the North.

Best part; wait for it. WATER IS FREE. AUCKLANDERS pay for their WATER.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thankyou.
With helpful advice from contributors like Sam, Kiwibird, littlefish, etc, this forum is a gem!

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
TOWNHOUSE or FLAT refers to a detached or semi-detached house that is build on a sub-divided section of a quarter acre. There could be 3 or even 4 townhouses/flats build on a quarter acre of land.

Apartments are what Singaporeans commonly live in Singapore known as HDB FLATS or Condominiums.

Does the pic above look like a townhouse or apartment ? Each unit has 3 floors, and there are only a few units built on a quarter acre of land.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't tell from the ad but it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.

I'll give you this general guide... if you see property that costs less than $250,000, it simply means that not many people want to live in it for any number of reasons... too remote... bad area... drug infested.. high crime... too damp... too close to edge of cliff.. flood prone etc etc.

A freehold quarter acre residential section [land only] in a decent location is going to cost at least NZD400,000 in ANY significant NZ town or city. Adding a basic house to the section will cost about $150,000.

Thanks, Sam.

For 400K, NZ may be out of my reach. I may have to start with an apartment.

Do leasehold apartments have any potential of capital gains ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks, Sam.

For 400K, NZ may be out of my reach. I may have to start with an apartment.

Do leasehold apartments have any potential of capital gains ?

If you believe the forecasters, the leasehold apartment market is selling below replacement cost at the moment and can only go up.

However, caveat emptor applies and if you aren't careful, you'll end up with a lemon. You'll need to do some research or get someone you can trust to do it for you.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the first time I came across advertisements in local papers soliciting Sinkies to purchase apartments in NZ, I have noticed that many of the apartments are in fact rented out to students, and the developers would often guarantee a yield of 8% - 9% a year. How true is that ?

I'm not going to get one where I don't have the right to occupy, only to rent it out to others.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does the pic above look like a townhouse or apartment ? Each unit has 3 floors, and there are only a few units built on a quarter acre of land.

Could be a townhouse if it has it's own land title (crossleased). But I would not want to be squeezed so close to my neighbour not when NZ has so much empty space and land.

2. Most houses are 1 or at most 2 levels high. It is not an advantage to climb so many levels when one gets older and have arthritic joints.

3. NZ is in an earth quake zone and you won't want to be in a multi storey building/house when an Earth Quake hits even though it may be built to withstand earth quakes up to a certain degree.

This website has some examples of townhouses and one picture of one that looks all joined together (very tight squeeze)

http://www.sella.co.nz/property/residential/for-sale/townhouse/
53vjg7-210x158.jpg

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apart from houses and cars, is NZ cost of living cheaper than Singapore ?

It depends on your lifestyle. I would say it is cheaper in NZ perhaps because I am retired and live in Christchurch and my TOTAL monthly expenses are less than $1000.

When I visit relatives in Singapore, my expenses exceed $1000 per month and that is spent on Hawker food and taking the bus/MRT and nothing else.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't have an answer to those questions. Ask your questions on trademe and see what sort of replies the seller gives.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-p...roperty/Houses-for-sale/auction-273093868.htm

The rateable value of this apartment is almost twice of the asking price.

Does that mean the maintenance bills (corporate rates or whatever it's called) are very high ?

It has about 70 years remaining of the lease. Is this a normal in NZ ? When we speak of leasehold of apartments in NZ, what duration of tenure are we talking about ? 99 years ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Since the first time I came across advertisements in local papers soliciting Sinkies to purchase apartments in NZ, I have noticed that many of the apartments are in fact rented out to students, and the developers would often guarantee a yield of 8% - 9% a year. How true is that ?

I'm not going to get one where I don't have the right to occupy, only to rent it out to others.

1) Don't believe any of those rental guarantees.

2) You can do what you like with the property you own. Nobody can force you to rent it out.:rolleyes:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kiwiland is on earthquake zone ?

Apart from one incident of earthquake reported in the papers recently, I have hardly read about earthquakes in NZ.

If it's not safe to live in a multi-storey house because the land is prone to earthquake, what about apartments in city areas ?

BTW, how much does a meal cost in NZ ?

U

UpYoz_olo

Next thing ask is toilet free, toilet paper free? Nabei. Juz do it if you are keen. Ask so many stupid Qs.

olo

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The picture shown is the type of house I would avoid. The old small timber windows are often draughty; they let in wind making the house cold in winter and increases your heating costs. The smaller windows also make the interior dark, bigger windows mean more sunlight, more warmth.

Large Double glazed aluminium windows are best, they do not have condensation problems and keep the wind out and let the sun in to brighten the rooms in Winter.

The external cladding is 'weatherboard' which requires frequent re-painting. I prefer red-brick external cladding. Those who choose Stucor cladding (smooth or rough variety) suffered from the leaky house debacle.

I prefer colour steel roofing(less maintenance) rather than tiled roofing because tiles can crack causing endless hard to detect leaks, they also require periodic treatment against moss and a new sealant may have to be re-applied to stop porous leaks.

Furthermore, a tiled roof is often heavier (more stress on the timber trusses) and if you later decide to add a solar panel, the trusses may not hold out. Friends of mine who have tiled roofs often complained that birds somehow managed to get in to build nests.

The rain gutters are unsightly because they can be seen. Modern houses have concealed rain gutters that merge directly into the roof.

The house looks like it is raised on supports and not anchored on a solid concrete foundation; meaning it could be the type that can be shifted to another location by a wide berth transport truck. This means wooden flooring that often creaks a lot at night when it can be really quiet in NZ.

Plan longterm by getting solar panels to heat your water and reduce your electricity bills. Avoid the inefficient open hearth fires. Wood(Log) burners are very warm but some cities (Christchurch) are phasing the older versions out and ultimately stopping them altogether because of air pollution. Some prefer NIGHTSTORE heating and the more efficient HEATPUMPS(Winter)/Air Conditioner(SUMMER)

Most importantly, in NZ always buy a house that faces and catches the SUN (NORTH facing houses are most preferred) so that the house is warm.

Thanks, KiwiBird. That is a good load of information from you.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Apart from one incident of earthquake reported in the papers recently, I have hardly read about earthquakes in NZ.

If it's not safe to live in a multi-storey house because the land is prone to earthquake, what about apartments in city areas ?

This thread has gone downhill as a result of your constant stream of dumbass questions.:rolleyes:

NZ consists of TWO Islands. Parts of each Island straddle a fault line and are therefore prone to quakes. The rest of the country is not. However, some of the parts that are not prone to earthquakes are at risk of volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tsunamis and mad Maori gangs so take your pick as to how you want to die.

A meal in NZ costs as much as you want it to cost.

I suggest you emigrate to risk free Lalaland. NZ is far too dangerous for you. There are too many unknowns that could end your existence prematurely plus it changes governments at regular intervals with the new govt invariably being worse than the one that was voted out. In short, it's a real shit hole. Stay well away.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread has gone downhill as a result of your constant stream of dumbass questions.:rolleyes:

NZ consists of TWO Islands. Parts of each Island straddle a fault line and are therefore prone to quakes. The rest of the country is not. However, some of the parts that are not prone to earthquakes are at risk of volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tsunamis and mad Maori gangs so take your pick as to how you want to die.

A meal in NZ costs as much as you want it to cost.

I suggest you emigrate to risk free Lalaland. NZ is far too dangerous for you. There are too many unknowns that could end your existence prematurely plus it changes governments at regular intervals with the new govt invariably being worse than the one that was voted out. In short, it's a real shit hole. Stay well away.

I see that is your motive of having this folder. To lure, trap and ridicule.

I didn't raise the issue of earthquake. I responded to the question about earthquake. And true enough, NZ never came across as a earthquake prone region to me. I'd lived in Taiwan for a good period of time, experiencing earthquake at a rate of 1 per month, between 5.0 to 6.5. I'm a Sinkie, but I haven't been in Sinkieland for a long time. I live in Bangkok where the current "civil war" is just a few bus stops away from me.

I'm sorry if I had asked questions that you couldn't answer. I wouldn't dare say I'm not afraid of earthquake; it's freaking frightening. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm asking "dumbass" question because I'm afraid of earthquakes. I readily admit that a certain part of myself is ignorant, and NZ and how it functions is one of those. If I'm stupid to ask the cost of a meal in NZ, you're even more dumb with your reply that it can cost as much as I want. If I ask how much a car would cost, you could easily have answered by using a particular Toyota model as a reference. It's stupid and deliberate to say that it could cost as much as you want without using any particular model as reference. Who doesn't know the cost ranges from a Yaris to a Porsche ? Questions are posed in order that comparisons between may be made.

It's true that the coward never started and and weak failed along the way. You share the similar character traits with Sinkies - some of us are knowledgeable in some areas, but few of us could advise without at the same time wanting to gain something in return. Since we don't get paid for giving advice, the reward will have to be a chance to ridicule others. You've just been rewarded for your charity.

Just as if I asked too many question, I had better not migrate. If you have not enough patience, don't pretend that you could give good advice.

By all means attack the questions; it's typical Sinkies to attack the person when the question is NEVER about whether I should migrate or where I should migrate. It's really none of your business whether I should migrate or where I should migrate.

An intelligent person can make a dumbass question just as much relevant. This is called 拋磚引玉. Learn from another poster in this thread.

Last edited:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

The epicentres can be tens of kilometres away from city centres but the rippling effect depending on size and aftershocks make living in multi-storey buildings HIGH RISKS regardless. Hence most houses are one level high.

Auckland city is resting on 7 volcanoes (dormant) but who knows?

Wellington is directly on the faultline and by the sea (Earthquake and Tsunami risk) not to mention the high velocity winds rushing between the COOK STRAITS!

Christchurch (EASTERN SUBURBS) rest on SANDY SOIL (which would turn to mush-liquefaction effect in a major earthquake-epicentre Arthur's Pass)- The suburbs of New Brighton/Avondale/Aranui etc are also exposed to Tsunami Threat.

FOOD COSTS:Really depends on what you eat.
1 large pizza from Dominoes/PizzaHut around $7 pickup.
Fast Food: MacDonalds/Burger King/Subway: From $3-$5
Takeaway from Bakery: Sandwich/Rolls From $3, Meat Pies/Sausage Rolls from $2
Fish/Chips: $2 for Fish, $1.20 for half scoop chips
Fried Rice/Hor Fun/Noodles/Duck Rice/Roast Pork Rice: Around $8/- but enough to feed 2 people.
There is NO 10% SERVICE CHARGE or excess levied for dine in. The GST is already included in the advertised price of the meal eg $8 for HOR FUN means you pay $8. It is not added on to it as an extra like in Singapore Restaurants eg $8+++. And the best part is I can pay with credit card for my $8 HOR FUN or even $3 at Macdonald's, KFC, Pizza etc etc without the cashier giving a black face.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I didn't raise the issue of earthquake. I responded to the question about earthquake. And true enough, NZ never came across as a earthquake prone region to me. .

Asking whether NZ is an earthquake zone is akin to my asking whether Thailand is a riot zone.:rolleyes:

I have given you more than a fair share of information and leads. Instead of sitting down and doing some of your own research based on a ton of info you've already been given, you've starting asking the most inane questions the answers to which could easily be found on the net with a 30 second search.

"How much does a meal cost?" is like asking "how long is a piece of string?". Click here for the answer and let us all know if you need to a bit more spoonfeeding. :rolleyes: