• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Zealand for Beginners !

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, Sam.

This is the kind of intelligence that I need. But I don't have 600K to spare.

What about Dunedin ? Any good living near a University ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks, Sam.

This is the kind of intelligence that I need. But I don't have 600K to spare.

What about Dunedin ? Any good living near a University ?

Dunedin is a university town. Some would rate it higher than Invercargill but it's still no paradise and drunk students can be a real pain on Friday and Saturday nights if you're in the wrong neighborhood.

If you have limited funds but want to live in Auckland. I would suggest you start off with an apartment in the central city. There's an oversupply at the moment and you can get really good deals. Take a look at http://www.citysales.co.nz/

When you've secured an income and a credit rating, you can then sell your apartment, get a home loan and move to the suburbs.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If you're house hunting in NZ and come across the words, "character home", or "loads of potential", or "handyman's dream" or "cozy old world charm" etc etc, it means THE HOUSE IS CRAP! Avoid like the plague!

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam, are you suggesting that for a beginner:

(1) Start from Auckland
(2) Start with an apartment ?

Generally speaking, are apartments cheaper than houses ? My experience with the few Asian countries, apartments are always more expensive.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Auckland is a good place to get jobs but be prepared for a hectic commute and also lots of Asians including the PRC variety. It can take an hour to get from one side of Auckland across the Bridge to the other side of town. Auckland has recently become a SUPERCITY and the Council Rates, Water rates etc can be quite substantial.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam, are you suggesting that for a beginner:

(1) Start from Auckland
(2) Start with an apartment ?

Generally speaking, are apartments cheaper than houses ? My experience with the few Asian countries, apartments are always more expensive.

Apartments range from $150,000 to $10,000,000. Take a look at the link I provided.

Leasehold apartments are cheaper but ground rent and body corporate fees can add to the running costs. Freehold apartments cost more.

I would suggest that all immigrants move to a big city first and then decide later on if they would prefer a smaller town once they get to know the country better. Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Hamilton are the best bets as there is critical mass that generates opportunities.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm glad that this thread is beginning to attract quality posts :smile:

Frankly, I agree with Sam on a few issues. That Auckland might be more expensive, but the potential of property gains is there compared to smaller towns. I'm also not keen on moving into a community where there is a high Asian concentration. I've lived in Thailand and Taiwan, so I've had enough of Asians. I'm not worried about Asian food, as I'm able to cook.

My plan is to stay 3 to 6 months in NZ every year, since my Singapore passport is Visa exempt for 90 days, up to maximum of 180 days per year.

I'm trying to run away from the hot weather in Asia. At the moment, Thailand is hovering between 35 degrees to 39 degrees everyday.

I'm looking for a house, preferably below NZD200K for a start and located near a big supermarket. That would take care of my daily groceries.

Since your plan is to stay in NZ for 3 to 6 months each year as a visitor, why not rent an apartment on a short term basis first before deciding if you really want to apply for PR and buy a property after getting to know the country better?

Check out this website for info about short term apartment rentals in Auckland: http://www.bachcare.co.nz/accommodation-holiday-homes/auckland~auckland_central~auckland_city~1530

With short term rentals, you won't have to pay the rent when you're not in NZ unlike a yearly rental agreement with a landlord.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple of months at the height of summer is a lot different than a couple of months of deep winter especially in the South Island.

My advice is for Singaporeans to stay away from areas where there are a high concentration of Asians. If they like being with Asians, they should stay put in Singapore.

The good thing about Auckland is that it is generally a few degrees warmer than the other 2 big cities. This is especially important during winter. Don't forget the windchill in Wellington as well as the winds there can get quite gusty.

I think if SGreans don't like the winter temperatures in Auckland, I don't think they will want to move further south (except maybe areas like Bay of Plenty or Coromandel but these places are small and a few hours' drive from Auckland).

Wellington also sits directly on top of a faultline and you get earthquakes quite frequently. It is also quite a hilly region and many houses are built on the hillsides. This increases the risk if an earthquake strikes and I think insurance costs are higher.

Christchurch is too cold for me and I don't think I would ever want to live there (sorry, Kiwibird). They also have a bigger problem with hoons though I think it is more subdued now.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since your plan is to stay in NZ for 3 to 6 months each year as a visitor, why not rent an apartment on a short term basis first before deciding if you really want to apply for PR and buy a property after getting to know the country better?

Somehow you don't feel 'attached' to the place unless you own it. It's emotional more than anything else. On top of that, I don't have a regular income, so I tend to see paying rents as liability.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks, Sam for the suburb list.

I also found this:

InSuburbia Auckland Suburb Guide has put all the essential information you need when finding a place to live in one book:
Where are the good suburbs?
What are the neighbours like?
What about the schools?
Where are the nearest shops?

Basically, all the stuff you just know about the city you grew up in - but will take you years to learn in a new one. InSuburbia Auckland Suburb Guide And best of all we show it all in colour maps, so its easy to look up , find out, remember and find again.

The maps let you see at a glance where to start looking - and avoiding! Where are the better parts of town? Where do other people like you live? Professionals, couples, singles, South Africans, Brits, Indians, Chinese etc.

http://www.insuburbia.net/insuburbia_visual_city_guides_009.htm

A$34.95 To order your copy online, click the
Buy Now button.

+ post & pack.
A$12.60 worldwide

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The headlines for this ad is "Fairy Tale Home" :biggrin:

127012062_full.jpg

12 Otonga Road
Springfield
Rotorua
Bay Of Plenty

Rateable value: $264,000

Could anyone explain what "rateable value" means ? In some other ads, the rateable values are much higher than the asking price.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Somehow you don't feel 'attached' to the place unless you own it. It's emotional more than anything else. On top of that, I don't have a regular income, so I tend to see paying rents as liability.

My personal experience.
Because I have experienced moving to Perth to buy a property for personal use. I will see no rush into getting one when I move to NZ. I would rather rent than getting one and regret later. The rent I pay will be treated as a cost of finding a more satisfying property.

I know of this Singaporean who bought a Perth property without understand the local customs/environment. He found out too late that his neighbour is the state govt public housing dept. Can you imagine every 6 months or so, you get homeless people, refugees, abo people moving in or getting evicted. Poor chap. He can only sell to unsuspecting buyers new to Perth. People like us will not buy his property, even for investment.

Now, he is hoping that the state govt will sell that property to a private owner. Maybe he will have some peace and less vandalism.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're house hunting in NZ and come across the words, "character home", or "loads of potential", or "handyman's dream" or "cozy old world charm" etc etc, it means THE HOUSE IS CRAP! Avoid like the plague!

I found some guide here.
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/uploads/home_buyers.pdf

I wonder if the NZ govt or consumer association conduct homebuying information sessions.
Are there standard purchase contracts to use?
How to protect the home buyers with special legal clauses, etc
What the seller can do or cannot do after the Inspection date.
Seller obligations, eg making sure the cooker works, etc
Where do we go for complaints. etc

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait....lets get the terminology right. This is classified as apartment ?

122634676_full.jpg

So what is the difference between townhouse and apartment ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Can't tell from the ad but it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.

I'll give you this general guide... if you see property that costs less than $250,000, it simply means that not many people want to live in it for any number of reasons... too remote... bad area... drug infested.. high crime... too damp... too close to edge of cliff.. flood prone etc etc.

A freehold quarter acre residential section [land only] in a decent location is going to cost at least NZD400,000 in ANY significant NZ town or city. Adding a basic house to the section will cost about $150,000.

Is there a catch in this ad ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-p...roperty/Houses-for-sale/auction-151671069.htm

Is it some kind of time share stuff ?

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The headlines for this ad is "Fairy Tale Home" :biggrin:

127012062_full.jpg

12 Otonga Road
Springfield
Rotorua
Bay Of Plenty

Rateable value: $264,000

Could anyone explain what "rateable value" means ? In some other ads, the rateable values are much higher than the asking price.

Rateable value is what the council bases your share of the payment you have to make annually to run the services in the city/town. It consists of 2 parts, the land value and the value of the house(including improvents). If you dispute the rateable value (want to pay lower rates to the council) then you have to get a re-evaluation from an accredited valuer.

The picture shown is the type of house I would avoid. The old small timber windows are often draughty; they let in wind making the house cold in winter and increases your heating costs. The smaller windows also make the interior dark, bigger windows mean more sunlight, more warmth.

Large Double glazed aluminium windows are best, they do not have condensation problems and keep the wind out and let the sun in to brighten the rooms in Winter.

The external cladding is 'weatherboard' which requires frequent re-painting. I prefer red-brick external cladding. Those who choose Stucor cladding (smooth or rough variety) suffered from the leaky house debacle.

I prefer colour steel roofing(less maintenance) rather than tiled roofing because tiles can crack causing endless hard to detect leaks, they also require periodic treatment against moss and a new sealant may have to be re-applied to stop porous leaks.

Furthermore, a tiled roof is often heavier (more stress on the timber trusses) and if you later decide to add a solar panel, the trusses may not hold out. Friends of mine who have tiled roofs often complained that birds somehow managed to get in to build nests.

The rain gutters are unsightly because they can be seen. Modern houses have concealed rain gutters that merge directly into the roof.

The house looks like it is raised on supports and not anchored on a solid concrete foundation; meaning it could be the type that can be shifted to another location by a wide berth transport truck. This means wooden flooring that often creaks a lot at night when it can be really quiet in NZ.

Plan longterm by getting solar panels to heat your water and reduce your electricity bills. Avoid the inefficient open hearth fires. Wood(Log) burners are very warm but some cities (Christchurch) are phasing the older versions out and ultimately stopping them altogether because of air pollution. Some prefer NIGHTSTORE heating and the more efficient HEATPUMPS(Winter)/Air Conditioner(SUMMER)

Most importantly, in NZ always buy a house that faces and catches the SUN (NORTH facing houses are most preferred) so that the house is warm.

Last edited:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait....lets get the terminology right. This is classified as apartment ?

122634676_full.jpg

So what is the difference between townhouse and apartment ?

TOWNHOUSE or FLAT refers to a detached or semi-detached house that is build on a sub-divided section of a quarter acre. There could be 3 or even 4 townhouses/flats build on a quarter acre of land.

Apartments are what Singaporeans commonly live in Singapore known as HDB FLATS or Condominiums.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I found some guide here.
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/uploads/home_buyers.pdf

I wonder if the NZ govt or consumer association conduct homebuying information sessions.
Are there standard purchase contracts to use?
How to protect the home buyers with special legal clauses, etc
What the seller can do or cannot do after the Inspection date.
Seller obligations, eg making sure the cooker works, etc
Where do we go for complaints. etc

1. Your lawyer will be your best protection. Legal transaction fees in NZ aren't very expensive.
2. The real estate agent is legally bound to inform the buyer of any details like (suicide or murder commited in the house previously etc)
3. You should have a 'property check' inspection done by qualified tradesmen to verify the quality and workmanship of the property you buy prior to sale.
4. NZ strict laws on Fair trading and Consumers Guarantee Act protects the buyer fully.
5. You have legal recourse to compensation and complaints can be made to the COMMERCE COMMISSION. Which can prosecute unlike the toothless "CASE" in Singapore.