• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Nicole Seah Interview with Yahoo.sg

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NSP’s Nicole Seah on politics and life after GE
By Fann Sim | SingaporeScene – Sun, May 29, 2011

600blog_nicoleseah.jpg

NSP's Nicole Seah answers questions from Yahoo! Singapore's social media followers. (Yahoo! photo)

Upon the invitation of Yahoo! Singapore for a wide-ranging one-on-one interview, National Solidarity Party's Nicole Seah arrived at our offices on Anson Road on Friday to discuss life after the General Election and various issues.

In the first of a three-part series, the 24-year-old Marine Parade GRC candidate answered questions posed by Yahoo! Singapore's Facebook and Twitter followers.

@shmarv: If you could change one thing (about your campaign), what would it be and why?
This is a very good question. It's something that a lot of people have asked me and even I myself constantly question myself post-elections on whether there would be anything I would change. But I think even for any slip-up or any mistakes or good thing came out of it, I don't think I would have changed (any) thing because it really has contributed to teaching the lessons I've learned this GE and to shape me as a person. So I wouldn't change a thing.

@ist1096: What is it like being a celebrity now and how will you sustain your zest and passion to be able to last the next 5 years?
I still feel very uncomfortable with the term "celebrity" because I don't see myself as one. I've always seen myself as a very average Singaporean who would probably have remained very average if I didn't step up this time round. So when people come up to me and say "you're a celebrity now", I just get very taken aback and I feel very like, "please don't say that" (because) I really am not a (celebrity) and I'm just like everyone else. It's just something that the media has played up. Because of my profile, it has really made me sort of like an unofficial ambassador to speak up on behalf of the less fortunate in the society or the middle class Singaporeans who are being squeezed. So I think that this is something that I will continue to do as I go down the road. With regards to how I'm going to maintain this, I think even when I came into opposition politics from the outset, I knew that this was going to be a lifelong battle that I'll be facing but as to how I will fight it, I really don't know yet. But at this point, I see that there is a role for me to play, and I will continue playing it for the next five years.

@badboytiar and @pyeongg: Are you going to leave NSP and join another party?
A lot of people have asked me this question too but for me, number one, I believe in a multi-party system so I do see the potential of staying in NSP. Another thing is that the NSP has potential. It might not be polished but I see it as a bit of "a diamond in the rough". I think that it does need a bit of polishing; it does need a bit of change and new direction. I think that I want to be part of that process. I don't want to jump into something that will give me the best and most established platform but I would want to be that person to form that platform.

@polalion: What are your plans to raise your profile over the next five years? How would you make use of your significant presence in social media?
I think the key to maintaining presence on social media is really to constantly engage with the people who visit your page. I think one way to do that is to continue asking them questions that make them think and continue (to provide) content that touches their heart or makes them really think very deeply on how they can play a role in the society. So I think if I can provide that, people will come back and continue to see what I have to say as a politician. So for me, the key is really engagement. With regards to using my presence in social media, I want to use it to help people to reach out to people. For a start, there are a lot of organisations out there, some that are really in dire need of help, some that are not so high profile and they are trying to raise funds for the families that need the most. I think these are the organisations that are struggling to get by. So as time goes by, I don't want to spam my supporter base but I do want to keep pushing out such events and information, to let them know that there's such a problem and concern in Singapore and let them know that "you can step in to help if you want to. All it takes is the click of a button or make an effort to go down to the event and play a part." I think that would be a good start.

Hydar Saharudin: Are you going to Pink Dot 2011?
Yes I am! I'm definitely a supporter for the Pink Dot movement. I think for the past two years, I've always wanted to go but I really couldn't go because I just happen to be out of the country or holidaying. So this time round, I don't have anymore leave to clear because of GE so I will definitely be in Singapore and I'll definitely be there.

Ding Neng: Does your boyfriend feel any pressure with you suddenly becoming so famous?
Not at all. He's been very unaffected by this. In fact, he is the most unaffected by all these attention. I think they even have a forum thread talking about him and how cute he is and I think he secretly likes it but that's just me. I think he's okay with it. No reaction.
Yahoo! Singapore also put Nicole through a "quick-fire" fun quiz that saw the lighter side of the witty 24-year-old.

What's your favourite movie?
Star Wars! I'm such a Star Wars geek and I caught all six episodes and I think when they added "Revenge of the Sith", I felt very sad going into the cinema because I knew that it was going to be the last episode ever and when it ended, I felt like crying and I felt lost and really depressed after that.

Where's your favourite hangout and why?
My void deck. I lepak. I chill. I talk to my brother. It's just a quiet zone for me because the area where I stay in Tampines is really desolated so late at night, it's very quiet and cool. There are very few cars passing by. So when I need to clear my mind, I will just sit at the void deck and I'll stone for a very long while.

What's your favourite sport?
Technically I don't play sports because I have two left feet and I cannot coordinate and my motor skills are a bit "out of whack". If I had to choose, I do yoga.

What's your hobby?
(Pauses) Sleeping... I don't get enough of that. So in my free time, I sleep.

Anything else? Shop? Read?
I don't even do any of that nowadays. (Long pause) I like to shop for snacks. So what I do is that I'll go around shopping for snacks. Somehow I don't really eat them and I end up giving them away. I just like to eat, buy food, eat food. Eating is my hobby.

What's your favourite colour?
On a party level I'd say orange but on a personal level, I would say black. I'm always in black. I favour black pens over blue pens. It's an understated colour and it's neutral. I like neutral colours.

What are your dream qualities in your man?
I need someone who is an intellectual equal, if not more and my boyfriend is more intellectual than me so I guess that's a good fit. I like someone who can make me laugh and can make me feel secure. And someone who can tolerate my mood swings and believe me, they got really bad during the hustings.

What's your favourite food?
For comfort food, I like Teochew Muey (porridge) with cai xim (preserved vegetables). The other one is ayam buah keluah. I like to dig into the nut and eat the black stuff. It makes me happy. It's very tasty.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seah on donations debate: I understand people’s concerns
By Fann Sim | SingaporeScene – 19 hours ago

600yahoo-nicoleseah_041129.jpg

Nicole Seah on donations controversy. (Yahoo! photo)

She understands why using her own personal bank account to solicit for donations concerned many citizens but Nicole Seah says there is "no legal issue involved".

The National Solidarity Party candidate also added that her party is looking at ways to resolve the issue and suggested a joint-candidate account or separate party accounts.

Earlier this month, the 24-year-old Marine Parade GRC contender turned to Facebook to ask for help to defray costs for her team's General Election (GE) campaign.

But that caused many to question why donations were to be made to her personal bank account, instead of the party or neutral person's bank account. She said then that she needed $35,000 to cover the cost of her promotional materials, t-shirts for volunteers and rental of stages among other things.

When Yahoo! Singapore caught up with Seah for a one-on-one interview last Friday, she said that it is not illegal to solicit for political donations online but she understood why it sparked so much heated debate.

"With regards to the Political Donations Act, there is no legal issue involved but I understand that this is something new," said Seah.

"So that has led to some people questioning whether this was the right way to go," she added.

On why her own personal account was used instead of the party's, NSP party chief Goh Meng Seng had explained earlier that "it would be technically tedious for us to differentiate between funding meant for the Marine Parade team if donations are made to the party's bank account."

Besides the Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency, the NSP also contested three other GRCs and 4 SMCs, including Chua Chu Kang, Tampines, Whampoa, Pioneer and Mountbatten.

The NSP also released a statement on its website last week assuring the public each Candidate would would have to make "full declarations of all campaign expenses incurred and all donations received, to the Returning Officer for public record and inspection" before the 9 June deadline for the listing of all expenses and donations.

When asked if she would have solicited donated through Facebook again, Seah highlighted the restrictions of the Political Donations Act.

"Honestly, Facebook was really one of the very few ways that we could go about doing it because if you look at the Political Donations Act, you can't solicit for donations openly or house-to-house to the public but they don't have any laws on publicising such information on the Internet," she said.

During the wide-ranging one-hour interview, Seah also answered questions on her life after the General Elections and her thoughts on the rash of reforms announced by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

On the latter, she said she's adopting a "wait-and-see" approach on new policies such as the review of ministerial salaries.

"With the previous election, what I noticed as a bystander is that there were a lot of promises made and things implemented, but ultimately after a certain period things started reverting to status quo," she said.

"If you look forward to the years ahead, we really need to ask and relook what should be the main motivation that drives our country," she added.

The advertising executive, who shot to online stardom during the GE campaign period, currently has over 104,000 likes on her Facebook page and has been credited with the "political awakening" of Singapore's Gen-Y generation.

But she admits she was surprised by how many Singaporeans took to social media to voice their opinions and frustrations.

Referring to how US president Barack Obama used social media to help galvanise America on the way to winning the US presidential elections, Seah said she didn't think this was possible in Singapore because "within the context of Singapore , we are still so self-censoring and we still have this climate of fear."

However, she feels that the comments made on social media platforms has been a true representation of what authentic discussion is supposed to be like in a society.

"In fact, social media has perhaps been one of the more authentic platforms where there has been a lot of discourse and exchanging of views," she added.

Over the next five years, she said she will continue to engage with the people who visit her page.

On how she has continued to stay active on Facebook, she said she's helped promote an event for the Singapore Cancer Society and plans to continue using her presence in social media to help people or organisations to reach out to people.

She said, "As time goes by, I don't want to spam my supporter base but I do want to keep pushing out events and information to let them know that there's such a problem and concern in Singapore."

Seah also dismissed thoughts of leaving the NSP to join a more established Opposition because she likens the party to a "diamond in the rough".

Like a diamond, the party needs some pressure and polishing and she wants to be part of the process, she said.

Previously, Seah has indicated that she is willing to take part in future elections. She has started to work the ground and has started her walkabouts and Meet-The-People sessions.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rin Tin Tin on politics and life after GE
@shmarv: If you could change one thing (about your campaign), what would it be and why?
I don't know what to say
@ist1096: What is it like being a celebrity now and how will you sustain your zest and passion to be able to last the next 5 years?
I don't know what to say
@badboytiar and @pyeongg: Are you going to leave NSP and join another party?
I don't know what to say
@polalion: What are your plans to raise your profile over the next five years? How would you make use of your significant presence in social media?
I don't know what to say
Hydar Saharudin: Are you going to Pink Dot 2011?
I don't know what to say
Ding Neng: Does your boyfriend feel any pressure with you suddenly becoming so famous?
I don't know what to say
What's your favourite movie?
Universal studio
Where's your favourite hangout and why?
I don't know what to say
What's your favourite sport?
I don't know what to say
What's your hobby?
I don't know what to say
Anything else? Shop? Read?
I don't know what to say, oh yeah, actually there is, Kate Spade lor
What's your favourite colour?
White lor
What are your dream qualities in your man?
I don't know what to say, oh yeah, actually there is, must be up there
What's your favourite food?
Kate Spade lor, Huh? is that food ?

The message you have entered is short leh

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of people have asked me this question too but for me, number one, I believe in a multi-party system so I do see the potential of staying in NSP. Another thing is that the NSP has potential. It might not be polished but I see it as a bit of "a diamond in the rough". I think that it does need a bit of polishing; it does need a bit of change and new direction. I think that I want to be part of that process. I don't want to jump into something that will give me the best and most established platform but I would want to be that person to form that platform.

Did we suddenly forget that she was part of the RP group that defected the last minute because they were not accorded superstar status by KJ?

Most went to NSP because GMS has no real authority there and lets bossy, unproven characters parachute in and lead GRCs.

Nicole could never do what she did if WP took her under their wing. WP might now be tempted to tap her 'celebrity' but they have egos to manage.

The central executive committee (CEC) members who have quit are: treasurer James Teo, 51; organising secretary Jeisilan Sivalingam, 41; youth wing chief Justin Ong, 25; and CEC members Jeannette Aruldoss, 46, and Tony Tan Lay Thiam, 41, a former government scholarship holder slated to be a candidate for the election.

Others who left include Mr Tan's wife, Ms Hazel Poa, 41, also a potential candidate; freelance writer Samantha De Silva, 27; dentist Gan Theng Wei, 35; and advertising executive Nicole Seah, 24.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did we suddenly forget that she was part of the RP group that defected the last minute because they were not accorded superstar status by KJ?

Most went to NSP because GMS has no real authority there and lets bossy, unproven characters parachute in and lead GRCs.

Nicole could never do what she did if WP took her under their wing. WP might now be tempted to tap her 'celebrity' but they have egos to manage.

IB, keep this up. We like this.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe the real reason why Nicole Seah choose NSP over the more established WP is that WP is too strict for her liking. WP have strict party discipline which requires the members to dress well, conduct themselves professionally and rules on posting in facebook and blogs. She won't be able to post so much opinions on her own or get donations directed to her own account if she were to be in WP. The strict discipline of WP is good as it provides the PAP and SPH less ammunition to attack and give them a good image so that those swing voters will be inclined to seen them as a serious alternative to PAP. NSP on the other hand has a group of talented individuals that run their own show instead of working as a team. Those ex-members of RP are drawn to NSP as they know GMS is a weak leader and he will allow them freedom to run their own programs Like Nicole Seah and Jeanette Chong Alrudoss asking for donations online and donate to their own bank accounts, and Nicole starting a free tuition program for the poor children in McPherson. Too many people running to be the bost of NSP is not good for the party either, it could end up with a split like what SDP did many years ago.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
‘I’ll continue to speak up for Singaporeans’ rights’
By Fann Sim | SingaporeScene – 2 hours 18 minutes ago

In the final instalment of our three-part series with Nicole Seah, the National Solidarity Party's (NSP) Marine Parade candidate says she will continue to stand up and continue speaking up for Singaporeans' rights.

She also tackles head on a question about the controversial donations issue during the wide-ranging one-hour interview at the Yahoo! office.

Watch the highlights here.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdNCTWSvVck&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdNCTWSvVck&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the real reason why Nicole Seah choose NSP over the more established WP is that WP is too strict for her liking. WP have strict party discipline which requires the members to dress well, conduct themselves professionally and rules on posting in facebook and blogs. She won't be able to post so much opinions on her own or get donations directed to her own account if she were to be in WP. The strict discipline of WP is good as it provides the PAP and SPH less ammunition to attack and give them a good image so that those swing voters will be inclined to seen them as a serious alternative to PAP. NSP on the other hand has a group of talented individuals that run their own show instead of working as a team. Those ex-members of RP are drawn to NSP as they know GMS is a weak leader and he will allow them freedom to run their own programs Like Nicole Seah and Jeanette Chong Alrudoss asking for donations online and donate to their own bank accounts, and Nicole starting a free tuition program for the poor children in McPherson. Too many people running to be the bost of NSP is not good for the party either, it could end up with a split like what SDP did many years ago.

Very good analysis.

Joining WP - get to stand under a brand name that stands good stead of winning in exchange for giving up individual political freedoms

Joining NSP - can act as an independent with a party umbrella shared by other independent types

Joining SDP - pride themselves of giving out superb policies esp economic policies and being intelligent, even if it is self-perceived

Joining SPP - very staunch Chiam loyalists

Joining RP or SDA - reasons largely unknown. Few do that.