• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New iPhone 12

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple to announce new iPhone, AirTags, Mac Silicone at October event
October 7, 2020 10:09am
The cheaper and more cutting edge alternatives to your Apple iPhone that are worth considering.
Apple has confirmed an event for next week, where its widely expected the company will unveil updates to its most popular product.
The event will take place next Wednesday morning beginning at 4am (AEDT) and like last month’s Apple Watch and iPad event, it will be streamed on the Apple events website.

It’s expected we’ll see the new iPhone models, and there are predictions there could be also be a new product called “AirTags”, a Bluetooth-enabled locator tag similar to a Tile tag.

This would allow you to locate things like your car keys by fitting it with an AirTag that can be found by your iPhone.

The next iPhone is expected to feature four different models, including a new “mini” iPhone, two “Pro” models, and the standard iPhone 12 (assuming Apple follows its existing name scheme).

It’s predicted the two iPhone Pro models will be a 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro and a 6.7-inch iPhone Pro 12 Max (which would be the biggest iPhone the company has made in the device range’s more than decade-long history).

Whether all phones will ship with 5G connectivity or there will be 4G only devices too, remains to be seen.

Dummy models of the next iPhone models supposedly sent to casemakers to prepare for the new devices. Source: Supplied
Charging has been a source of contention, with predictions Apple will be forced to abandon the Lightning connection for a USB-C port.

It’s also been predicted Apple won’t include Earpods in the box in a bid to improve Airpods sales (if the Lightning port disappears those buds will have had nothing to connect to either), and could even leave out the power charger that’s normally included when you buy an iPhone, or any other smartphone.

Leaked images believed to be the iPhone 12 Pro chassis. Source: Supplied
Announcing the Watch Series 6 last month, Apple confirmed that the wall outlet plug you insert the supplied charging cable into won’t be included in the box.

Apple says this is to cut down on e-waste from unnecessarily producing charging plugs when most consumer already own at least a couple of them by now.

The change is unlikely to change pricing.

A leaked render purporting to be an Apple AirTag. Picture: Twitter / Jon Prosser Source: Twitter
The announcement from Apple would normally happen earlier in the year but the coronavirus pandemic is thought to have impacted on production of the new phones.

Apple sometimes uses cryptic clues in the name of its events.

Last month’s event to announce a new Watch and iPad Air was called “Times Flies” (do you get it?).

This month’s has been named “Hi, Speed”.

Earlier this year Apple announced it would be moving towards using its own silicon chips in its Mac computers, after reportedly growing frustrated by slowing progress from chipmaker Intel in improving its chips.

An image purporting to be the new A14 chip that will go in the next iPhone, and possibly a Mac. Source: Supplied
Apple already designs its own A-series processors to power the iPhone and iPad models and will now look to put those or variants of them in its computers.

It’s possible we’ll hear more about those processors (and presumably how fast they are) at next week’s event too, as the company has said its first Mac device powered by its own chips will hit the market by the end of the year.

A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites.Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out.

Nationwide News Pty Ltd Copyright © 2020. All times AEDT (GMT +11).

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays it's about branding rather practicality.
Only the 1st iPhone, introduce in 2007,is a technological breakthru

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays it's about branding rather practicality.
Only the 1st iPhone, introduce in 2007,is a technological breakthru

Yes, I'm sure the various Android phone makers don't do marketing/branding. Only Apple does that vainglorious stuff. :biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do We Really Need an iPhone 12 in 2020?
You Don’t Need An iPhone 12

Alex Kidman
Published 20 hours ago: October 12, 2020 at 4:49 pm
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Stumbleupon
  • Reddit
iPhone need: Do you really need a new iPhone in 2020?
This year's iPhones, like last year's, will be differentiated by their cameras. (Photo: Raul Marrero/Gizmodo)
Apple will undoubtedly tell us in the early hours of Wednesday morning that it’s never made a device quite like the iPhone 12. Or words to that effect, anyway. The problem is, we’ve never had a year quite like 2020. And that creates some big challenges for Apple as it tries to sell its latest premium phones.
The 2020 Apple rumour mills are having their last few desperate turns and swirls before the big “Hi, Speed” event on 14 October – early in the A.M for those of us in the Antipodes. Usually there wouldn’t much left to do but wait until Tim Cook takes the stage in front of a crowd of carefully selected journalists and whoopers at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple’s Cupertino campus.
Except that’s not what’s going to happen this year, because it’s 2020. And 2020 very much has its own agenda that isn’t terribly kind to the idea of people being tightly packed into small enclosed spaces.
What Apple will inevitably do instead is hit play on a meticulously edited package that’s probably already been finalised. It can then let the media frenzy and sales hype wave surge from there.
In any other year, Apple would subsequently clock up millions of iPhone sales. Although it’s been a good few years since it announced the actual numbers of handsets sold, despite the enduring popularity of the iPhone brand as a whole.
But again, 2020 isn’t just any year, and there’s a couple of factors that may well make that iPhone upgrade path a little more rocky this time around. And we’ve already experienced that with Apple holding its iPhone launch in mid-October, rather than September, due to COVID-19 related production delays and international shipping constraints.
Those are business problems for Apple that it will either solve, or fail to cover adequately. Here in Australia we tend to be part of the very first wave of iPhone sales. It’s long been the case that the first effective “sold” iPhone in a given year happens at an Apple store in either Melbourne or Sydney, depending on which store can ring up the cash register faster.
Again, that’s a spectacle that’s diminished in recent years. I was the Gizmodo Australia editor back when iPhone queues were newsworthy in their own right, which just goes to show that I’m old that it was once a trend. I can only imagine with the in-store COVID precautions that Apple has in place that it won’t be looking to any kind of queuing action for the iPhone 12.
However, those are Apple’s problems, and I’m more interested in a different line of thought. In 2020, is there really a call for a new iPhone at all?
Before I get drummed out of the corps of gadget reviewers (senior editor’s division) for my heresy, I will remind you that I love me a new shiny gadget as much as the next human. After all, I’ve spent more than 20 years writing about them.
However, there’s two key factors that really make me think that if Apple did shock the world – and put its share price into a tailspin – by not announcing a new iPhone on Wednesday morning it wouldn’t be the worst result.
Smartphones aren’t new any more
Image: Caitlin McGarry, Gizmodo
Like I said, I’ve been covering iPhones for as long as there have been iPhones, and well before then as well. I was in the audience at MacWorld 2008 when Steve Jobs talked about an iPhone you couldn’t even officially buy in Australia at that point.
Once we could buy iPhones, Australians went well and truly nuts for them. And it’s a love affair that’s barely abated in the many years since.
In that time, however, smartphone technology has improved a lot, whether you’re talking internal processors, screen technology or cameras. Hell, even the once-constant whipping boy, the iPhone battery life, isn’t quite as apt as it used to be. Although it’s still a sore point on the iPhone SE 2020, but then that’s an iPhone 6 with a jet engine strapped to the back, anyway.
While Apple sells itself as a premium brand with luxury experiences – the supercar equivalent of smartphones in more ways than one – you don’t need a supercar to go down the road to do some shopping, or even to make it into work each day. That’s a role that’s filled by much more practical, even mundane, vehicles. Although we may still lust after those shiny multi-million dollar vehicles in private.
It’s a trend that’s only accelerated this year, too. While the Apple faithful might never look over the Android side of the fence, the reality is that a lot of the mid-range Android phones you can buy right now have really good performance, camera features and design.
To keep the Apple fans happy, the same (outside battery life) is true of the mid-range priced Apple iPhone SE 2020, a phone that smokes the competition in a straight line benchmark test.
Even your traditional areas of “premium” phone performance like low light are under sustained attack. Do you still get the absolute best low light shooting from a premium flagship in 2020?
Okay, you do. But so far this year I’d hand that award to Huawei, and that’s a brand you’d buy only for the cameras, because it’s Google-Without-Google-Apps approach to smartphones is a bit of a trash fire.
Sorry, Huawei. I love your hardware approach and I’m keen to see what you actually do with the Mate 40 but your software story isn’t a compelling one.
But I digress.
Times have changed dramatically. Devices like the Google Pixel 4a and upcoming Pixel 4a 5G/Pixel 5 offer very good low light photography in a phone that tips the scales under $1,000. That’s a mighty compelling price tag, especially during a pandemic.
2020 has changed our relationship with smartphones
Image: Getty
The other reason why Apple could afford to “take a year off” is because it’s 2020 — a year that has changed the world in a bunch of ways, some more profound than others.
If you’re a mobile phone maker, arguably the most obvious is that a substantial quantity of the world’s population simply isn’t as mobile as it once was. That’s a highly variable story across Australia, depending on levels of lockdown and your own personal safety assessments, but anyone with any lick of sense isn’t spending anywhere near as much time out and about as they used to.
To delve into anecdotal territory, I’m somebody who already worked out of a home office before Coronavirus struck. I was already well versed in how to manage the kind of arrangement so many Australians have shifted to, either temporarily or on a full-time basis.
During that time you would find me on a train heading to the Sydney CBD for an event and working on the go. My phone was my centre of communication for both messaging and as a mobile hotspot.
I’d typically be on at least three such trips in a week, because that’s the nature of what I do. Even outside reviewing phones for a living, having a premium mobile that I could rely on for network speed and camera quality was a must.
But that was back then. I haven’t been on a train in Sydney since I wrote this story back in early March.
It feels like a lifetime ago. And in the months since, my relationship with my day-to-day phone has changed a lot.
The quantity of data I need on a mobile plan has plummeted, because 95% of the time I’m using my faster and far more affordable home Wi-Fi. It had been years since I really thought of my phone as a “calling device” first and foremost, but that’s arguably been its prime use in 2020, whether for radio appearances or recording parts of my own podcast, Vertical Hold.
While I’ve reviewed lots of phones this year, my daily driver has been the iPhone 11 Pro Max — a really great Apple phone that attracts a premium price. It’s never made much sense to upgrade year-on-year when it comes to iPhones. Even the iPhone XS is still powerful enough for almost anyone’s use. The iPhone 8/X generation isn’t terrible either, as long as you’ve taken decent care of your phone.
Back when the iPhone was the fresh hotness, you used to hear that aphorism about “the best camera being the one you have on you” a lot. And it really was best of breed for quite a long time. It seriously opened up the world of photography and social imaging in a way that nothing had before.
While I have no idea what Apple will charge for the iPhone 12 when the veil is lifted on Wednesday morning, there’s a strong argument that the best phone to have on you might just be the iPhone you already own – or failing that, possibly a much cheaper iPhone SE 2020.
The tech geek part of me would love to be proven wrong. Regardless, we’ll undoubtedly see the same lavish gushing and uncritical praise of Apple’s bounty across the internet as every other year.
But in 2020, as many of us have put various aspects of our life on pause, it feels as though Apple will have to do something truly spectacular to make the iPhone 12 feel all that special and worthwhile.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Faggot phone fan boys are no different to those who pay big bucks for going to the SIA restaurant and ordering catered food from SIA

It's the year 2020. Ironically, spec-for-spec Android phones are more expensive than iPhones.

And the 'openness' of Android phones is overrated... I say this as an Android phone user. :biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the year 2020. Ironically, spec-for-spec Android phones are more expensive than iPhones.

And the 'openness' of Android phones is overrated... I say this as an Android phone user. :biggrin:
I do believe that faggot phones are a necessary evil as there must be competition for the consumer. However in terms of value n ease of use. Faggot phones are way overated. My next phone will be the Samsung note 20 ultra. It has the features i want n the price is dropping . After 2 years i change phone again

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do believe that faggot phones are a necessary evil as there must be competition for the consumer. However in terms of value n ease of use. Faggot phones are way overated. My next phone will be the Samsung note 20 ultra. It has the features i want n the price is dropping . After 2 years i change phone again

Samsung has collaborated with Microsoft in recent years, lots of Microsoft crapware preinstalled on Samsung phones.

Also, Samsung phones in Sinkieland have the crappy Exynos chip. Good luck paying more for an inferior product.

Finally, remind me when Google comes up with something that rivals Apple's facial recognition, iMessage and Facetime.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Samsung has collaborated with Microsoft in recent years, lots of Microsoft crapware preinstalled on Samsung phones.

Also, Samsung phones in Sinkieland have the crappy Exynos chip. Good luck paying more for an inferior product.

Finally, remind me when Google comes up with something that rivals Apple's facial recognition, iMessage and Facetime.
Yes thanks for reminding me about the exorcist chip. I did speak to the Samsung rep n was told because its an inhouse chip they can customize it betterer n make it run betterer like faggot phones. Anyway it will b next year b4 i upgrade. Will change my mind by than

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes thanks for reminding me about the exorcist chip. I did speak to the Samsung rep n was told because its an inhouse chip they can customize it betterer n make it run betterer like faggot phones. Anyway it will b next year b4 i upgrade. Will change my mind by than

That's a lie. The truth is that they want to save money by not paying the Qualcomm (Snapdragon) tax. But the phone is still sold at the same price.

'Customize' until your Samsung phone lags and heats up. :roflmao:

https://www.sammobile.com/opinion/samsung-fans-have-had-it-with-exynos-processors

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
New iPhone 12 release date, price, specs and news
First Published 7 hours ago
The new iPhone is official, and here's what you need to know
XvMJAsiYhhrHaYfAmgmEy-1200-80.jpg
The five different color options for the iPhone 12(Image credit: Apple)
After a long wait, the iPhone 12 is finally official, having just been unveiled by Apple at the company's virtual October event.
This is one of four new phones from the company – it's joined by the iPhone 12 mini, the iPhone 12 Pro, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
So what do we know about the new iPhone so far? Not everything, but quite a lot. The company has confirmed that it'll be 5G-ready, allowing you to enjoy super-fast download and browsing speeds on your phone.
Below we'll run you through everything we've learned about the new iPhone including its price, release date, specs and the new features that Apple has shown off so far.
iPhone 12 key facts
  • What is the iPhone 12? The new phone from Apple
  • When is the iPhone 12 release date? October 23, pre-orders this Friday
  • What will the iPhone 12 cost? Starts at $799 / $799 / AU$1,349
iPhone 12 release date and price
(Image credit: Apple)
The iPhone 12 release date is set for October 23, and you'll be able to pre-order the phone from this Friday, October 16. You won't be able to pre-order the iPhone 12 mini until November 6, and the phone will be out on November 13.
Apple has confirmed the iPhone 12 price will start at $799 in the US, which is $100 more than the iPhone 11 range. That's likely because of the introduction of 5G technology.
What will the phone cost in your market? We have the iPhone 12 prices for the US, UK and Australia below.
iPhone 12 prices
Region64GB128GB256GB
US$799$849$949
UK£799£849£949
AUAU$1,349AU$1,429AU$1,599
Want to be the first to know about the best iPhone 12 deals? Complete our pre-order sign-up form below and we'll send you the best deals as soon as they become available.
iPhone 12 design and display
The new iPhone 12 features a 6.1-inch display size with a notch at the top of the display. It seems to be the same size notch that we've seen on recent iPhone products.
If you're after a phone with a smaller display you'll be interested in the iPhone 12 mini, and you can read all about that phone in our iPhone mini release date and price article.
The iPhone 12 comes in five colors: black, white, red, green and blue. You can see all those shades in the picture below.
All five colors available on the iPhone 12 (Image credit: Apple)
There's an aluminum frame around the outside of the iPhone 12, and the edge looks to be less rounded than on recent iPhones – it's more reminiscent of the iPhone 5S, rather than the iPhone 11 with its rounded corners.
The rear of the phone is made of glass, but Apple was keen to make it clear that this phone is tougher than previous iPhones. It's using a new technology on the front called Ceramic Shield, which it says will ensure your screen is a lot more durable.
This doesn't mean you should be throwing your phone around though, as it's unlikely to shield your device from a serious knock or drop.
We've yet to hear the exact dimensions of the iPhone 12, but the company says it's 11% thinner, 15% smaller and 16% lighter than the iPhone 11.
That 6.1-inch screen is a Super Retina XDR display, and it has double the amount of pixels as the iPhone 11. It also has a 1200-nits peak brightness, which should mean you'll get a brighter display than on previous iPhones.
As with previous iPhones, the iPhone 12 is IP68 water and dust resistant. There are volume buttons on the left side of the phone, with a silence switch just above those, while the power button is on the right side.
iPhone 12 5G and specs
The iPhone 12 is 5G-ready, which means you'll be able to connect to next-gen internet networks from your iPhone for the very first time.
This is now a common feature on flagship Android phones, but this is the first time we've seen 5G on an iPhone.
The company has also confirmed that the 5G tech here is both sub-6 and mmWave, meaning the iPhone 12 will work on Verizon networks in the US. In other markets it'll also use sub-6 technology, so it should work with all carriers around the world that provide 5G connections.
The iPhone 12 5G speeds can theoretically reach 4Gbps, but realistically, we’ve seen around 1.4Gbps from Verizon’s high-frequency mmWave technology in the US, and around 300Mbps from other carriers that use sub-6 technology. While mmWave is incredibly fast, it has a much shorter range, whereas sub-6 will see your iPhone 12 get 5G at greater distances from antennas and it’ll actually remain fast indoors.
Another element is there's a Smart Data mode that assessing whether you need 5G speeds and can switch you back to 4G if it doesn't think you need them. If that's the case, your phone can then save battery by not connecting to the 5G network. It's a smart idea, and we're excited to see how it works in practice.
iPhone 12 specs
Weight: 164g
Dimensions: 146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4mm
Display size: 6.1-inch
Resolution: 2532 x 1170
Refresh rate: 60Hz
Pixel density: 460ppi
Chipset: Apple A14
RAM: N/A
Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
Rear cameras: 12MP + 12MP
Front camera: 12MP
Battery: N/A
The iPhone 12 is powered by the A14 Bionic chipset – that's a chipset we've already seen confirmed for the iPad Air 4, and it's the world's first 5nm chipset. Apple says it'll be almost 40% more powerful than the A13 chipset in iPhone 11 range.
Apple is calling this the "fastest chip ever in a smartphone". That's a big claim, and it's one that we'll be sure to test when we get the iPhone 12 in for review.
You'll have the choice of either 64GB, 128GB and 256GB storage models – we'd recommend opting for one of the larger sizes, as 64GB isn't a lot of space on your phone, and there isn't microSD support here so you can't expand on that.
The phone also comes running iOS 14 out of the box, so you'll be able to enjoy all of the features that were introduced in last month's big software update.
iPhone 12 cameras
The specs of the main iPhone 12 camera (Image credit: Apple)
The iPhone 12 comes with a dual rear camera. There's a 12MP wide camera with an f/1.6 aperture, and a 12MP ultra-wide shooter with a f/2.4 aperture and 120-degree field of view.
There's a bigger focus on computational photography with this generation of iPhones, including new Smart HDR 3 tech to help you capture photos with improved colors and contrast, as well as Night Mode improvements.
Apple claims the cameras offer a 27% improvement in low-light performance, which would be quite remarkable considering the iPhone 11 range already offers strong low-light performance.
On the front of the phone is a 12MP selfie camera with a f/2.2 aperture. We can't say for certain yet, but it seems to be the same front-facing selfie shooter that was on the iPhone 11, and we found that to take good shots and work well for video calls.
This also comes with Face ID technology to help you unlock the phone quickly as there isn't a fingerprint scanner on this phone.
iPhone 12 battery
We've yet to hear how big the battery is in the iPhone 12, and it's unlikely that we'll learn that stat until someone gets the phone in their hand and does a teardown.
The company claims it'll last for 16 hours of video playback (that's video stored on the phone's memory rather than being streamed) but we won't know the battery life for certain until we've tested the phone.
Fast-charging is available on the phone that can get the battery from zero to 50% in half an hour, but you'll need to buy a separate 20W charger to be able to get that feature.
We do know that Apple has improved its wireless charging offering here. The big improvement is called MagSafe, which is essentially a magnet within the phone that allows you to attach a wireless charging pad to the device.
Why would it do that? It's to make sure your phone doesn't slip off of said charger and stop charging when you're using it.
MagSafe charging seems to be faster than Qi wireless charging too. According to Apple's website, MagSafe will use 15W charging, which Qi wireless charging on the iPhone 12 is limited to 7.5W.
The technology also allows accessory manufacturers to make in-car products, cases and more too.
Apple says it'll be creating its own accessories, but we can also expect to see new products from third-party manufacturers, with the company confirming that Belkin is working on accessories already.
iPhone 12 accessories
You won't get a charging brick or a pair of Apple Earbuds - those small free headphones 0 in the box with your iPhone 12. Instead, the company is just including the USB-C-to-Lightning cable that you'll use to charge the phone.
You'll be able to use existing charging bricks, buy one separately, or use wireless charging, with Apple aiming to reduce the amount of e-waste that's generated when you buy a new iPhone.
The box itself will also be slimmer too with the device, charging cable and documentation on the phone being the only things included in the packaging.