• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New ez-link card

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,193793,00.html?

NEW EZ-LINK CARD
Users unhappy with 'no travel deposit' feature
New features make system more convenient: LTA
February 24, 2009

NP_IMAGES_JHEZ.jpg

REAL BALANCE: In the new ez-link card, the balance reflected on all readers is the actual stored value. TNP PICTURE: JOANNA HOR

IF you are using the new ez-link card to take the MRT, remember, 3 is the new zero.

If the balance on your card falls below $3, the turnstiles won't open for you.

The old card lets you ride the train even if the balance is zero because there is an invisible deposit of $3 on it.

Said one commuter, who gave her name only as Mrs Siew: 'I took the bus from Hougang Avenue 4 to Ang Mo Kio and it cost me 93 cents. But I couldn't use the same card for my ride on the MRT to Braddell because my balance was only $2.90.

'As a result, I had to use another card and ended up paying another 82 cents. If I had been able to use the first card, I would have got a transfer rebate, which I think would have been about 40 cents.'

Commuters like her are upset about this and there have been a chorus of complaints on the Internet.

But the Land Transport Authority (LTA) explained that the new features of the card make this system more convenient.

The card now also allows you to pay Electronic Road Pricing charges and even some retail bills.

And for these, you can use your card down to a balance of zero.

Unlike trains, on buses, the minimum balance is not fixed. It can be up to $1.67, depending on the length of the journey.

The new requirement affects only adult cards.

An ez-link spokesman told The New Paper that whatever value is left on the new card will be returned to the owner if he decides to return the card.

So, how exactly is the new system different from the old?

When you bought the old ez-link card, you had to pay an extra $3, known as a travel deposit, and this was not reflected in the card's balance.

So, when the card reader shows a balance of $0.01, there is actually $3.01 still on the card. And you can still take a bus or a train.

With the new card, the $3, which is no longer known as a travel deposit, is reflected in the card balance. That's all.

But some commuters and netizens say they feel 'cheated' that they cannot use the full balance on their new ez-link cards.

Netizen Greenapples wrote: 'If there is a reason to require a minimum stored value, then put it aside as deposit, which is the proper way things should be.

Irritating

'Why re-invent the wheel? Why is it so difficult to retain the deposit system like before?'

Another forum writer, Rukanightmare wrote: 'It's so irritating if you see money inside, yet you can't use it because it is meant to be the deposit value.'

One website, sgclub.com, asked visitors whether they thought the new rule was reasonable. Out of the 109 respondents, 72 per cent said no.

Other commuters The New Paper spoke to were also not happy.

Bank manager Tan Kok Jwee, who is in his 50s, said: 'I sometimes use the card until the value is $1 or less. So, $3 is going to be an inconvenience if you are just going to travel from, say, Bugis to Raffles Place (for a fare of less than $3).'

An LTA spokesman said the new requirement was to ensure that cardholders had enough value in their cards to exit the MRT gate, even for the longest trip.

By removing the $3 travel deposit, the full value of the new card can also be used for non-transit purposes.

The spokesman explained: 'To illustrate the use of the card for non-transit applications, an existing ez-link cardholder whose card has a total value of $7 ($4 stored value and $3 travel deposit) won't be able to buy a $6.85 McDonald's Big Mac meal even though the card's full balance is more than sufficient to cover the cost of the meal.

'This is because only $4 of the card's stored value can be used to pay for the meal, as the $3 travel deposit can only be used for travel on trains and buses.'

With the new card, commuters can use the full value to pay for non-transit transactions, for instance the McDonald's meal.

The spokesman said alert messages will pop up on the card reader when the card value is low.

'With this alert feature, commuters would, on average, be alerted at least three times (starting from $5) to top-up their cards before their card value reaches the minimal required value for travel,' she said.

Not all commuters find the new requirement an inconvenience though.

Student Yeo Ming Qiang Ivan, 25, said: 'It's a bit weird that there's an amount there but you can't use it (on trains). But I guess I'll get used to it.'

The new ez-link card was launched on 9 Jan. Since then, more than 1.6 million old cards have been replaced. The old ez-link card can no longer be used after 30 Sep.

Joanna Hor Peixin, newsroom intern

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This shows that the govt does not know what people want. They never do proper research and homework and then implement the thing.

Who is the person who in charge of this whole thing? Better dun be a scholar, if it is so, tax payer money is gone to waste.

The deposit amount just set aside and ERP and everything can still be implemented.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think they want too many things into one card and the costs of such experimentation are hugh. These costs are of course incorporated into the overall charge to the public.

If you cannot use the card if it is 2.99, then you have to keep more. The float held by Ezlink will be that much more. And the interest they earned and keep on the float will also be more.

Their rationale is that you can use the ezlink card for ERP and some retail bills.

So can the cashcard which is currently being used for ERP and some retail bills.

So what's the real benefit?

Besides those who use ezlink for bus and mrt do not pay ERP. And those who pay ERP take bus or mrt very infrequently.

Retail bills are best done using atm, debit or credit cards because it cuts out the middle-man which is ezlink AND the interest earned before spending is YOURS and not Ezlink.

Once again, what's the real benefit?

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah lau, super petty

what s the freaking difference. invisible deposit is still your money

kanina, people really damn stupid and newspaper also damn stupid, this kind of lancheow thing also report

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cockadoo that came up with this probably never ride the MRT nor take a public bus before.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm...maybe i reply to my own question

The real benefit is that it creates another layer in the economic structure

this increases the total amount of economic transactions without adding any real value to the final consumer

as the ministers' pay are tied to the economic growth, such transactions is a testimony to their good governance

another layer in the economic structure will also create jobs but as these are tech jobs, in all probability they will go to the prc, indians and filipinos whose labour costs are less than singaporeans

the sad fact is that the people interviewed in the article quoted in post #1 did not do a thorough analysis and concentrate on only the pros and cons of the new card without consideration of if it is really neccessary

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not to mention
the bloody new card
is almost the same as the old one.

what is so great about the new card. you do not make a new card until you find a really cool card. why make a new card that work just like the old card.

which cronies pap is enriching now?

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm...maybe i reply to my own question

The real benefit is that it creates another layer in the economic structure

this increases the total amount of economic transactions without adding any real value to the final consumer

as the ministers' pay are tied to the economic growth, such transactions is a testimony to their good governance

another layer in the economic structure will also create jobs but as these are tech jobs, in all probability they will go to the prc, indians and filipinos whose labour costs are less than singaporeans

the sad fact is that the people interviewed in the article quoted in post #1 did not do a thorough analysis and concentrate on only the pros and cons of the new card without consideration of if it is really neccessary

Layman like me :biggrin: will only consider the pros and cons of the new card. I believe that majority of the population will not want to or bother to think deeper, the whole meaning of changing the cards. :smile:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
new card can carry a max of $500,,,, just like a $500 current account without interest,,,

i don't understand is why EZ link card can use as cashcard in cars for ERP for what,,,, people who drives actually how many takes buses and MRT,,,,, or be careful,,,, when you pass a ERP gantry with the EZ link card in your pocket, some money may be deducted,,,,

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
when you pass a ERP gantry with the EZ link card in your pocket, some money may be deducted,,,,

If I'm not mistaken, you have to put the ez link card on the device for deductions to go through. :smile:

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I'm a bit confused by the features of the new card. Someone can enlighten me please cos I haven't gone and change my EZ-link card. Suppose I had $10 stored value and $3 travel deposit in my old card, after swapping my old card for the new, the value would be... $10 or $13? Did SMRT maken my $3 away?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I'm a bit confused by the features of the new card. Someone can enlighten me please cos I haven't gone and change my EZ-link card. Suppose I had $10 stored value and $3 travel deposit in my old card, after swapping my old card for the new, the value would be... $10 or $13? Did SMRT maken my $3 away?

No, they did not eat the money away.

I just realized that there is another advantage to Ezlink on this.

In the older system, the deposit was $2 (i do not know if this is true for recent cards).

But in the new system, there is a built-in flexibility to increase the amount to be held. For example if they decide that you need a $5 minimum instead of $3 minimum, then it is much easier to do so than a deposit-based system.

If my guess on this is correct, then look forward to more price increases.

In my opinion, the official reasons given in post #1 are of course true but not representative of the real intentions.

They are like telling a child why this candy is good. Not the benefits they get if the child believe them and bought the candy.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, they did not eat the money away.

I just realized that there is another advantage to Ezlink on this.

In the older system, the deposit was $2 (i do not know if this is true for recent cards).

But in the new system, there is a built-in flexibility to increase the amount to be held. For example if they decide that you need a $5 minimum instead of $3 minimum, then it is much easier to do so than a deposit-based system.

If my guess on this is correct, then look forward to more price increases.

In my opinion, the official reasons given in post #1 are of course true but not representative of the real intentions.

They are like telling a child why this candy is good. Not the benefits they get if the child believe them and bought the candy.

But in this case, the child is helpless to the willy ways of the wolf who dresses like her 'grandma'...:p

You use cash you get penalize!..where in the world, only in UNIQUELY SINGAPORE!..

You use EZlink, you loose...every each way, you turn, you get FOOKED!!!!:mad:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
But in this case, the child is helpless to the willy ways of the wolf who dresses like her 'grandma'...:p

You use cash you get penalize!..where in the world, only in UNIQUELY SINGAPORE!..

You use EZlink, you loose...every each way, you turn, you get FOOKED!!!!:mad:

i feel that way too

the only positive outcome in my opinion is that ezlink allows you to use your credit card to do top-ups

you no longer need the citbank smrt card (read today's yahoo.com.sg headlines) but can use any bank's card

there is a cost of course...but mrt is a neccessity for many and i believe that for a monopoly or duopoly such costs are passed to the consumers

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we thank the 66.6? for this predicament?..IT IS THEIR FAULT!!:eek:

i can't say it is entirely their fault

the downhill came when we tie the minister's performance criteria to economic growth which initially is congruent with the tripartite relationship of PAP-NTUC-business; the problem was that they view everything and anything in terms of economic value.

first they monetize every sector and when that reached a maximum, they create intermediary structures, incentives to spent, raising the costs of essential goods, not controlling the costs of housing, etc, etc - all of which has the effect of making things look good on paper

i guess the pond is quite hot now but the frogs are still swimming

but is it the fault of the 66%? We can go round the mulberry bush and yet not able to convince each other. I will leave it to each to believe what is believable to them.

In the meantime it appears that they are preparing for higher costs to come.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It just a small matter, if new ez-link card management explain it before launch new card. All problem will be solve. But they jusy keep quite.