• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is quite right. Many data quite dubious. Better go in with eyes wide open.

View attachment 10692

From the article I got the idea that she thinks high rise living is catching on in JB/Nusajaya. A Malaysian agent also told me that for Malaysians living in landed is no big deal, unlike Singaporeans who are obsessed with it as they can't afford to do so in SG. In fact she says more younger Malaysians are going for high rise as they are bored with living in landed( having done so their whole lives) and like the facilities, security etc. I also notice that apart from Singaporeans, other nationalities like Japs and PRC dont really go for landed, they prefer condos.
What do you guys think? Does this mean contrary to expectations condos may actually do well interms of capital gains, perhaps even better than landed? I am buying condos more for the yield as landed yield is poor.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the article I got the idea that she thinks high rise living is catching on in JB/Nusajaya. A Malaysian agent also told me that for Malaysians living in landed is no big deal, unlike Singaporeans who are obsessed with it as they can't afford to do so in SG. In fact she says more younger Malaysians are going for high rise as they are bored with living in landed( having done so their whole lives) and like the facilities, security etc. I also notice that apart from Singaporeans, other nationalities like Japs and PRC dont really go for landed, they prefer condos.
What do you guys think? Does this mean contrary to expectations condos may actually do well interms of capital gains, perhaps even better than landed? I am buying condos more for the yield as landed yield is poor.

I read from other forums that due to higher cost, younger Malaysians cannot go for landed and therefore chose condos instead. If given a lower price, they will definitely chose landed. Most Singaporeans mindset are still stuck in landed. Anyway I notice that landed launches (fastest pace was in 2012) are slowing down and prices are going up. Condo launches fastest pace so far is in 2013.

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
But maintenance for condo is high... Wouldn't the mthly liability work out to be almost the same as getting a small 20x70 terrace?

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read from other forums that due to higher cost, younger Malaysians cannot go for landed and therefore chose condos instead. If given a lower price, they will definitely chose landed. Most Singaporeans mindset are still stuck in landed. Anyway I notice that landed launches (fastest pace was in 2012) are slowing down and prices are going up. Condo launches fastest pace so far is in 2013.

there are still affordable landed in the out-of-the-way taman. though msians can stil go for these, the young and professionals may prefer not to because the quality of your neighbourhood counts. In SG, landed is so expensive that most of those staying in landed are quite respectable, educated professionals. Hence they are more likely to exhibit socially acceptable behavior and be "good" neighbours. On the other hand, anyone can afford staying in landed at the "ulü" taman in JB so you are quite likely to find neigbours who are loanshark runners, working in blue collars jobs, have kids shouting all over the place and parents screaming on top of their lungs, shouting vulgarities etc etc. However, these young msians are priced out of landed in good districts like Bt Indah, Nusa Duta, HH etc so may have to settle for landed or condo at the "not-so-prosperous" taman. Quantum price of Condos and landed in same district are not far apart (except places like east ledang) so those who cant afford landed in a certain prestigious district may find it a struggle to purchase a condo in the same district

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Landed or Condos

I do not mean to sway any preference in this forum being an owner of both in Iskandar.
But just wanted to point out to new investors of overseas properties. Condominiums are usually the domain of foreign investors as seen in so many locations that I have been to; Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia and now Malayisa.

Therefore, when the flood of capital flows into the region, the price movements are always exaggerated in the condominium market. This is evident even in places like Singapore in the earlier days of property appreciation. But finally, I think the GCB prices here still held sway over the rest.

But truth be told, most countries' population are more landed-focused which sometimes make the category more resilient to wild price swings. Naturally, that would also mean a more modest movement in value when the condominium market is heightening.

Just bear in mind that the knife cuts both ways.

Security-wise, it is always important to pay heed to the cautionary tales (in JB/SG Crimewatch) though it can get quite irritating. :smile:
Recalled that there were tales in Singapore of intruders getting into condo compounds some years back but not frequent. If I am not wrong, someone was knifed too. So don't safety for granted. If the car park is underground/multi storey, danger lurks.

Personally, I am for a G&G landed rather than a G&G apartment as a resident and the other way round as a punter.

cascadia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Landed or Condos

I do not mean to sway any preference in this forum being an owner of both in Iskandar.
But just wanted to point out to new investors of overseas properties. Condominiums are usually the domain of foreign investors as seen in so many locations that I have been to; Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia and now Malayisa.

Therefore, when the flood of capital flows into the region, the price movements are always exaggerated in the condominium market. This is evident even in places like Singapore in the earlier days of property appreciation. But finally, I think the GCB prices here still held sway over the rest.

But truth be told, most countries' population are more landed-focused which sometimes make the category more resilient to wild price swings. Naturally, that would also mean a more modest movement in value when the condominium market is heightening.

Just bear in mind that the knife cuts both ways.

Security-wise, it is always important to pay heed to the cautionary tales (in JB/SG Crimewatch) though it can get quite irritating. :smile:
Recalled that there were tales in Singapore of intruders getting into condo compounds some years back but not frequent. If I am not wrong, someone was knifed too. So don't safety for granted. If the car park is underground/multi storey, danger lurks.

Personally, I am for a G&G landed rather than a G&G apartment as a resident and the other way round as a punter.

New landed as of now is much lesser than new launched condo and apartment... In any case, I believe landed will have more value in long term...

hondawave07

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone heard of setia cascadia? any thoughts?

Setia Eco Cascadia is next to Setia Indah.
Its a new township based on Eco-living experience.
There is another thread "Setia Eco Cascadia" on this forum which disucssing abt the SEC.
You may find more info from there.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

I can't speak for all M'sians but as a M'sian who grew up and lived only in landed when in M'sia, yes, living in landed is no big deal. Now, after having lived in S'pore for over 30 years in non-landed, my plans are to retire in a condo in M'sia, and for this, i've chosen a condo in iskandar. As it will be a retirement home for only my partner and me, it suits us well. My elderly parents who still live in landed have in recent years lamented how maintaining a house and lawn is becoming increasingly difficult with advancing age, something I took into consideration too. Of course you can always hire domestic helpers and gardeners for this. Another consideration is security - I feel safer in a condo but this is my personal opinion.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Landed when you are younger and have a young family. I enjoyed my childhood living in a landed. I cant imagine cooped up in pigeon holes at a young age. High rise better for when you are old and climbing up and down becomes a chore.
However if you plan to have your extended family living with you, landed is best. Ground floor room for the oldies and the couple and kids stay upstairs.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Landed good for old folks, they can walk walk on the ground bear footedly , 吸收地面能量..transform to superman!!

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, condo is so much easier to maintain. However landed allow you to keep dogs. I would want to have both. If I have a big landed house in singapore when I am younger, I would want to have many children's..

I can't speak for all M'sians but as a M'sian who grew up and lived only in landed when in M'sia, yes, living in landed is no big deal. Now, after having lived in S'pore for over 30 years in non-landed, my plans are to retire in a condo in M'sia, and for this, i've chosen a condo in iskandar. As it will be a retirement home for only my partner and me, it suits us well. My elderly parents who still live in landed have in recent years lamented how maintaining a house and lawn is becoming increasingly difficult with advancing age, something I took into consideration too. Of course you can always hire domestic helpers and gardeners for this. Another consideration is security - I feel safer in a condo but this is my personal opinion.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am also a Malaysian and echo your sentiments. At least as far as retirement goes.When I first came here I couldnt bear living in a HDB flat , felt so cooped up. So we upgraded to a condo after a few years, then a landed. I do feel though that when I retire I want to be free of maintaining a landed property. We have to maintain outside as well as inside. With current dengue epidemic, we have to constantly check drains and even when we're away its a worry that mosquitoes may breed, drains may get clogged.
That's why I bought condos in Iskandar.But in the short term I still enjoy my landed here. As many Singaporeans who move there will be elderly, I wonder which property type will be there choice? Some elderly folks enjoy gardening, those who want to relive their kampung days but the other may opt for condo?

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top notch security, facilities and ambience come at a price, so if one is retired but rich, no issue. But not so for those looking to reduce cost of living. If it is just for weekend dwelling, it all adds up.

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am also a Malaysian and echo your sentiments. At least as far as retirement goes.When I first came here I couldnt bear living in a HDB flat , felt so cooped up. So we upgraded to a condo after a few years, then a landed. I do feel though that when I retire I want to be free of maintaining a landed property. We have to maintain outside as well as inside. With current dengue epidemic, we have to constantly check drains and even when we're away its a worry that mosquitoes may breed, drains may get clogged.
That's why I bought condos in Iskandar.But in the short term I still enjoy my landed here. As many Singaporeans who move there will be elderly, I wonder which property type will be there choice? Some elderly folks enjoy gardening, those who want to relive their kampung days but the other may opt for condo?

Msian here too. Maintenance wise, unless ur landed is a small cute one, there is a need to hire domestic helper. i have bad experience with live in maids, one ran off with her bangla bf and the other shipped my belongings back to her couuntry so i suspected. another thing, it is increasingly expensive to hire maids as Indonesia and Philiipines start to put pressure on hiring countries to increase wage and mandate off days. And live in maids pose risk especially when there are valueables lying around and the elderly will not be able to stop them from doing anything. there is also loss of privacy .. so personally i would prefer either a small terrace/semi D or condo. I guess since the issue with condo is lack of space, one way to mitigate this is to get a penthouse (duplex) or units in projects like Astaka, Summerscape, even old ones like Aloha, Straits View where units are 2000sqf above. well of course maintenance can be a big burden ..can cost RM1000 per month for these >2000sqf units

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Msian here too. Maintenance wise, unless ur landed is a small cute one, there is a need to hire domestic helper. i have bad experience with live in maids, one ran off with her bangla bf and the other shipped my belongings back to her couuntry so i suspected. another thing, it is increasingly expensive to hire maids as Indonesia and Philiipines start to put pressure on hiring countries to increase wage and mandate off days. And live in maids pose risk especially when there are valueables lying around and the elderly will not be able to stop them from doing anything. there is also loss of privacy .. so personally i would prefer either a small terrace/semi D or condo. I guess since the issue with condo is lack of space, one way to mitigate this is to get a penthouse (duplex) or units in projects like Astaka, Summerscape, even old ones like Aloha, Straits View where units are 2000sqf above. well of course maintenance can be a big burden ..can cost RM1000 per month for these >2000sqf units

In fact, there are duplex units like old condos that are still available at 300 psf or less like Sri Mulia.
Direct from the developer (old unsold units that have been refinished)

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact, there are duplex units like old condos that are still available at 300 psf or less like Sri Mulia.
Direct from the developer (old unsold units that have been refinished)

Thanks for the info. Unfamiliar with this and cause for concern that there are still units unsold for an old condo?? unless these are deliberately held back for rental investment

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I have 5 sons and the right to own firearms, I would get a landed. Unfortunately, I have only 1 daughter and a baseball bat that does minimal damage. So, its gonna be condo for me.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top notch security, facilities and ambience come at a rather hefty monthly recurrent price, so if one is retired but rich, no issue. But not so for those looking to reduce cost of living. If it is just for weekend dwelling, it all adds up.

Edited for clarity.