• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Netizens angry at Govt over Amos’ treatment in IMH !!!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://sgfuck.org/mybb/Thread-Netizens-angry-at-Govt-over-Amos’-treatment-in-IMH
Yesterday 10:30 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #1
millionaire http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_online.gif
Happylucky
http://sgfuck.org/mybb/uploads/avatars/avatar_5168.gif?dateline=1388583218
Amos Yee’s mother, Mary Toh, wrote a letter recounting her experience visiting her son – who is remanded at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) – for the first time, on Wednesday (24 Jun).

The court on Tuesday morning (23 Jun) had ordered 16-year-old Amos Yee to be remanded for 2 weeks at IMH to undergo a psychiatric assessment (‘Amos Yee to be remanded for 2 more weeks in IMH‘).

Mary’s letter first appeared on the popular socio-political website The Online Citizen on Thursday (25 Jun) after her visit to Amos. TRE re-posted it on Friday (26 Jun) [Link].

In her letter, Mary revealed that Amos was transferred from Changi Prison to IMH on Tuesday at 12 noon, immediately after the court order. The judge who issued the order wants to see if a Mandatory Treatment Order (MTO) is suitable for Amos.

“I did not know he had been transferred to IMH until the next day (Wed). No one told me,” she said.

“It has been a very exhausting journey these last few months for everyone in the family, but nothing compared to what my son, Amos Yee, has gone through and continues to go through.”

Mary observes that her child is a very different person now, exhausted and frightened. Amos used to be chirpy, confident, vocal, creative and focused.

“He has been remanded in prison for so long (40 days now) – even before he is sentenced – that he probably feels things no longer make sense,” she lamented.

What a 16-year-old child faces at IMH

When Mary visited her son at IMH on Wednesday (24 Jun), he was remanded in block 7 where the truly mentally-ill, as well as mentally unsound people who have committed crimes, are housed.

“I wondered why my son, who is here to be assessed if he has autism, is kept here in the same block as those who are mentally ill,” she asked.

Amos was allowed 3 visits a week, with each visit not lasting more than an hour.

“I want to go home and sleep,” Amos told his mother.

One of the main reasons he is exhausted is he has been deprived of sleep for the past 3 weeks in Changi Prison, where he was kept in a cell for 23 hours with bright lights switched on all the time, everyday.

“But there was nothing he could do but to bear with it. So I can understand that sleeping is the one thing he wants most,” Mary added.

At IMH, Amos is locked up in a cell alone with a urinal and a mattress on the floor, and CCTVs watching him all the time. There is no bed and no toilet paper, said Mary.

Amos has to endure “crazy sounds” with mentally ill patients screaming and making other sounds at all times of the day. Then, there is the siren which goes off each time help is summoned to restrain a patient. All these, recounted Mary, add to the mental anguish of her son. Mary said she felt frightened and sad.

Mary hopes that her son can be housed at the private ward at IMH, where patients who are not mentally ill are housed. But Amos was ordered to be assessed at Block 7 instead.

“Amos made a video and ended up in a mental institute. I wish he could be home with me so I can care for him,” she concluded her letter.

Netizens condemn Singapore government

Meanwhile, many netizens are stepping forward to condemn the Singapore government for “persecuting” Amos, a 16-year-old child:

Enuf: What type of government would torture a 16 year old boy who spoke his mind? This is a good lesson to all of us about the true colours of this administration. Let’s put a stop to all this and vote for leaders who have a heart.

Screaming out loud to world: WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO THIS BOY?????????????? Trying to kill him? Trying to derange him? Because he steadfastly refused to remove the video in which he was actually saying the truth about that horrible man and his horrible son and regime???????

Dosh: Amos is wrongfully and brutally punished! Yes, I feel your pain. Quite frankly, I was a ‘seow lang’ before when I was warded at the Woodbridge Hospital for depression. Though no expert on mental diseases I will hasten to say that I have the real experience that you have written about although in my time not as scary.

I hope that you will NOT consent to Amos receiving ECT (Electro-Convulsive Therapy) where he will be given electric shocks for the purpose of incapacitating him thus enforcing ‘rest’ from his ‘mental’ condition. In my view, at the time of the video speech Amos was normal. Sadly, in a tyrannical regime like Singapore, rude criticisms of LKY who is dead is still considered a punishable crime. Punishable with extreme hatred and vindictiveness.

Toxic PAP massacre no end: The true colours of PAP were painted 50 years ago. The PAP tortured so called political and union persons. Later the PAP tortured professionals like lawyers and doctors. Then they went after bloggers. Now they have turned against innocent teenagers. In the foreseeable future IF THE PAP ARE STILL IN GOVT, they will go after school children.

Ali Baba: My conclusion after reading this article, spoken from the heart of Amos’ mother, is that PAP is very inhuman, and is TORTURING this 16 year old boy to the extreme. We must hold PM Lee to answer for all these cruelties.

Bapak: PAP Government is worse than animal.

Jim: Amos will never be the same person again after the trauma inflicted on him. This regime looks like it is on its last run. Just you wait for the next election. Everyday this mad regime is driving citizens to the edge.

cat: Have you not seen in Korean dramas where murderers conspire with mental institution doctors to lock up sound minded people and torture them till they are frightened, unstable and eventually unsound? This is injustice in our society due to the belief that one party rule is the ONLY answer.

Cartoon: He is 16 years old please have mercy on him. First class world put a child in such a treatment is not right.

KC Lim: Mdm Toh, as a Singaporean I am ashamed of what our government is doing to your son. I do not agree with your son’s views, but this is plain wrong what is happening to him. May God bless and help your son emerge safe and become a compassionate person with right views.

Mike: Amos will be the rallying cry for all opposition parties and people who love children. For whose child will not make a mistake? Whose child does not do the wrong things? Even the Son’s own son made a mistake in the army and bypassed the proper chain of command. As an officer, to sabo his own is a morally and unforgivable offence and rightfully by the chain of command, he should also be punished. So the people have eyes and God has eyes. They will all have their just “rewards” when the time comes.

Are you angry too or do you think Amos ought to be remanded at IMH for psychiatric tests?

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Function 8: Manner in which Amos Yee is treated, regrettable and deplorable

JUNE 28, 2015 BY ONLINECITIZEN IN CIVIL SOCIETY
function-8.jpg

Function 8 regrets and deplores the manner in which Amos Yee, aged 16, is being treated by our judicial system.

Amos Yee was arrested on 29 March 2015 and interrogated for two days before being charged in court for insulting Christianity, publishing an obscene sketch and hurting the feelings of a family. The last charge was withdrawn after his conviction on 8 May. Though convicted, Amos Yee has not been sentenced. His days in remand for the purpose of reformative training and mandatory treatment reports have, to date, exceeded any prison sentence that would have been imposed on an adult who is found guilty of such crimes. By 6 July, when Amos Yee completes his two weeks of remand in the Institute of Mental Health (IMH), he will have served 53 days (including 2 days under interrogation) in remand.

We view with alarm and dismay the manner in which our judiciary deals with the issue of bail, raising bail bond from $10,000 to $20,000 and $30,000 and then reverting to $10,000 without any justifiable reason. The imposition of onerous conditions such that he has to remove his published video and sketch and is prohibited from posting materials on the Internet before trial amounts to a forced admission of guilt. Such conditions have nothing to do with the likelihood of Amos Yee absconding bail which is the sole reason for bail pending trial.

We are also deeply disappointed that our judicial system does not take into consideration Amos Yee’s age and the nature of the offence when considering sentence. If imprisonment is not a suitable sentence, then being in remand in prison and the IMH for 53 days is punishment worse than serving a prison sentence.

Finally and most importantly, we view with deep concern the fast deteriorating physical and mental health of Amos Yee throughout the period of remand. We are informed that in Changi Prison, he suffered from insomnia, harboured thoughts of suicide and lost his interest in books and conversations with his cell mates. In the IMH, he is confined to a small and dirty cell with noisy inmates in the neighbouring cells. The conditions are worse than those in the Changi Prison. He has now lost his appetite for food and continues to suffer from depression.

Amos Yee has not committed any violent crime. He is just a precocious teenager exercising his constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression. Fifty-three days in remand is unacceptable pre-sentence punishment. The rightful and legitimate place for this 16-year-old boy is to be at home with his parents, relatives and friends, and not the IMH. We call for the immediate release of Amos Yee.

Function 8 is an initiative by a group of citizens who believe that there is a need to facilitate the sharing of social, political and economic experiences of those who had, or are eager to contribute to society through reflection and civic discussion.
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/06/function-8-manner-in-which-amos-yee-is-treated-regrettable-and-deplorable/

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
We espouse freedom and democracy like it were the hottest fashion.

But take a look the so-called democratic ideals and you find more examples of its abuse than stellar examples that you would want your kids to one day pick up.

I'm not talking about conspiracy theories involving secret societies or operators executing fifth column initiatives above the law, just any internet news feed and you see the degradation of the US led brand of "democracy". Race motivated killings, race motivated revenge attacks, school killings, all very much derived from freedoms enshrined in their constitutions.

Then we have the hypocrisy of the treatment of Asians in the framework of "media freedom'. Firstly, how often to see an Asian American held up as example of democracy? More often than not, it would be an all-white family man shown with a soft lens focus on how he rises to succeed against all odds to fulfill the "American Dream". Then we have the stereotyping of Asians in blockbuster cinema, Men are either shown to be subservient castrati or sterile single-dimensioned villains best shot and killed off by the white man's most creative fantasies. Women are then either sex objects or the femme fatale who must perform the obligatory sex act with the white hero or a lesbian encounter with her white counterpart.

How about capitalism? Back in the 80s, Japan was demonised constantly for "dumping" cheap goods into the US, Japanese were caricatured as mindless drones or task masters, buying up US assets and destroying the American dream. Now, it's China's turn with the same story, but a slightly different skin shade. How fast they can forget that it was their own institutions in the 2008 GFC that tore down the values of their own assets in the first place to bargain basement deals, and it was those white, do-no-wrong, walk-on-water White CEOs who in the greater scheme of things, walked away with perhaps a few lashes yet now an entire race is once again berated as the face of evil.

Those are just a few examples to highlight the fact that if you think about it, democracy, in its modern form, was brought about at a time when anti-colonialists demanded freedoms from one perceived oppressor (the UK), only because it had the means to become one themselves and live of the backs and labour of another (slavery). Taking an even bigger macro view, it was off the sweat, hard labour and breaking backs of our SEA forefathers that we could provide massive profits to the colonialists and therefore the means for them to worry about the "finer" things in life such human rights, unionised labour, workers privileges and the securitization of assets and commodities.

And now, in the irony or ironies, to their horror of horrors, we (Asia) are playing the capitalist game better, harder and smarter and have the means and the political will to drive policies through should the winds change.

I'm not advocating that democracy is wrong or communism and authoritarianism right, I am saying that we need to get real and realise that the path towards a moral, fair and just society is never easy, it is something that we need to forge ahead daily on our own in lieu of the bloody wars and killings that bore the western construct. But if we choose to copy-and-paste the the Western branded "democracy", we are no more than subjugating ourselves once again to the "brilliance" of western society, something, we must realise first, is corroding and slowly rotting away.

While in Asia, for once since the past 500 years, is our own again.

Always remember that.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am a netizen, and I am satisfied with the way our government has dealt with Amos.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being a leader to bring light to this gloomy situation for Amos Yee

JUNE 28, 2015 BY ONLINECITIZEN IN LETTERS

An open letter to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong

Dear PM Lee,

Amos has succeeded in getting the world’s attention about the darker side of your father, and the more Amos suffers from unjust treatments, the more the government has helped Amos succeed in a more phenomenal way.

Now, the whole world sings more of Amos’ courage than of you.

Checkmate.

Amos has won.

You have lost.

And when you lose, Singapore lose, BIG TIME.

And I really don’t want to see anyone lose.

The handling of Amos case could have easily been made into a win-win situation for all, but of course, your think tank is incapable of conceiving that, because they are only technicians, held back by the technicalities of how political games “should be” played.

I like to think that you are just waiting for the right timing to step in and step up, and show the world that winning hearts is the only sure way to winning votes.

We have all seen your compassion and love as you raised your son, Lee Yipeng, a child with special needs, who has Asperger’s syndrome and is an albino. I have no doubt that a man with such a heart will treat all of Singapore children the way you treat your special child too.

It was heart-warming to hear your thank you speech at Yipeng’s school — Zhonghua Secondary School, so grateful to the compassionate principal who agreed to take him in, and to all the teachers who have helped him along the way.

It sure takes a village to raise a child, and In your enthusiasm, you further said that, “We will create many more pathways to success, not just a single narrow road to the top. And we will give every Singapore child the opportunity to succeed and the means to achieve his potentials and fulfill his goals. To do this, we need more than a good government and the government’s work, we need a much more broader involvement — parents, alumni, community, all coming together to support our school.”

Amos’ mother was so inspired by your high praise of Zhonghua Secondary School that she sent Amos there as well.

I sincerely call for your unique experience as a special parent and a leader (not just a politician) to finally bring light to this very gloomy situation. Only you can show us the way.

All the very best,
Siok Khoon
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/06/being-a-leader-to-bring-light-to-this-gloomy-situation-for-amos-yee/

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
40 over days in detention, wat else do the Familee and the running dogs want from tis 16yrs old, his life?
If so, than they shld just release him and get it done with, surely there are many ways to make it look like an accident!