• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need help to decipher cursive handwriting

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"This had some security and most intonation was safe, but there was some rythmic unease along the way and more imaginative shading could have been incorporated. A well poised final note."

Ok this is for some piano student hoping to get to the next grade. Suppose he decides to follow the advice given. Pray tell how does one give more "imaginative shading" to incorporate into his piece?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok this is for some piano student hoping to get to the next grade. Suppose he decides to follow the advice given. Pray tell how does one give more "imaginative shading" to incorporate into his piece?

You're wrong. The phrase "most intonation was safe" suggests that it's nothing to do with piano playing.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
opps pardon my lack of musical knowledge. Let me fanthom a guess and go alone with a flute perhaps? Or some other wind instrument.

It's violin because the instrument, unlike guitar, has no frets. Intonation in this instance has more to do with the accuracy of the pitch of individual notes. In the case of piano, the player has no control over the pitch.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's violin because the instrument, unlike guitar, has no frets. Intonation in this instance has more to do with the accuracy of the pitch of individual notes. In the case of piano, the player has no control over the pitch.

What is a fret?

I wasn't aware of any of this. You do have vast musical knowledge. Do you or did you use to play in an orchestra?

I just know a bit of the piano and reading musical notes like bass clef treble clef and playing the scales.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is a fret?

I wasn't aware of any of this. You do have vast musical knowledge. Do you or did you use to play in an orchestra?

I just know a bit of the piano and reading musical notes like bass clef treble clef and playing the scales.

Fret is the metal markings on the fingerboard of the guitar. So if your strings are tuned to the correct pitch, all you need to do is just press your fingers according to the metal frets. Violin is a different story altogether. There are no markings on the finger board, and the accuracy of the pitch is determined by the positioning of your fingers and your hearing.

No, I do not have vast knowledge. Orchestra ? You must be kidding.

You said you gave up on Grade 5. That's more than reading musical bass and treble clefs. You should be able to play songs without looking at the scripts.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fret is the metal markings on the fingerboard of the guitar. So if your strings are tuned to the correct pitch, all you need to do is just press your fingers according to the metal frets. Violin is a different story altogether. There are no markings on the finger board, and the accuracy of the pitch is determined by the positioning of your fingers and your hearing.

No, I do not have vast knowledge. Orchestra ? You must be kidding.

You said you gave up on Grade 5. That's more than reading musical bass and treble clefs. You should be able to play songs without looking at the scripts.

Ah I see thanks for enlightening me. Yes I'm able to play musical pieces without looking at them but I do require practice obviously. It's just like memorizing a passage. That's how you manage to go up avgrade in piano by reciting a memorized piece in front of sn examiner. Unfortunately that was s long time ago. Now all I can play are the scales. I use my piano chair as a bench to do my bench presses.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Pizzacato is mentioned, so it cannot be a piano. Its a string instrument like violin or cello.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HedgeTrader said:
This doctors handwriting problem not only western doctors. Chinese doctors prescription also terrible unreadable. All doctors shouldnt be allowed to write. Confiscate their pens. Must use computers and printers. LOL

Don't you think this is because the doctors themselves ain't too sure about the spelling of the drugs and leave it to the dispensary to puzzle it out?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't you think this is because the doctors themselves ain't too sure about the spelling of the drugs and leave it to the dispensary to puzzle it out?

It's a traditional medical conspiracy. Don't let the patient know what the doctor is writing about. People in the inner circle, nurses, paramedics and pharmacists are trained to read it. As someone pointed out earlier, it's the same with Chinese doctors and dispensaries.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Khun Ying Pojaman said:
You're wrong. The phrase "most intonation was safe" suggests that it's nothing to do with piano playing.

But how do you give more imaginative shading to a violin piece? I would think shading could be something to do with chords by varying the intensity of different tones of the chord. This is very difficult to do with a violin unless you are an expert violinist and able to handle complicated pieces as most mundane passages are just melodies only. I am a violinist. I stand corrected.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
But how do you give more imaginative shading to a violin piece? I would think shading could be something to do with chords by varying the intensity of differenti tones of the chord. This is very difficult to do with a violin unless you are an expert violinist and able to handle complicated pieces as most mundane passages are just melodies only. I am a violinist. I stand corrected.

Correction. I meant to say "I am not a violinist"

jw5

Loyal
But how do you give more imaginative shading to a violin piece? I would think shading could be something to do with chords by varying the intensity of different tones of the chord. This is very difficult to do with a violin unless you are an expert violinist and able to handle complicated pieces as most mundane passages are just melodies only. I am a violinist. I stand corrected.

Those silly angmor wannabe musician examiners are just pompous assses. No need to read too much into their descriptions. :biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correction. I meant to say "I am not a violinist"

I'm no violinist too.

The terms used, such as "shading, coloring, dynamics" may turn out to be a matter of degree or intensity.

I believe the examiner felt that the playing was too plain and lacked "contrast". Shading would give contrast, whilst coloring would add more spice to the music.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Khun Ying Pojaman said:
I'm no violinist too.

The terms used, such as "shading, coloring, dynamics" may turn out to be a matter of degree or intensity.

I believe the examiner felt that the playing was too plain and lacked "contrast". Shading would give contrast, whilst coloring would add more spice to the music.

To me shading and coloring relate to more than one note rendered at the same time by varying intensity of different notes in a chord, you achieve different shading and color. If you are talking of piano I can understand. Of course this is referring to a violin as vibrato and pizzicato are more related to strings but not with a keyboard. As I am not a violinist, can a passage with notes played in rapid succession have the same shading and colouring as that of a chord? Any music teacher here?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me shading and coloring relate to more than one note rendered at the same time by varying intensity of different notes in a chord, you achieve different shading and color. If you are talking of piano I can understand. Of course this is referring to a violin as vibrato and pizzicato are more related to strings but not with a keyboard. As I am not a violinist, can a passage with notes played in rapid succession have the same shading and colouring as that of a chord? Any music teacher here?

You're looking at "chords" in a piano, which context is pretty different from what the examiner is saying about violin performance.

If you're looking at chord per se, for example, a C chord comprising C, E, G, the shading is determined by the piano tuner and coloring by the timbre of the piano. Yes, even in an Equal Temperament kind of tuning standard, a good tuner with solid understanding of the theory can still influence the shading of the chord. A piano tuner who tunes in the sequence of 4ths and 5ths estimates the relative beats of the intervals, and the progressive beats of the major 3rds will most certainly have the most impact on the shading of the chords. As for the coloring of the tone (not the chords), it depends on the "scale design" of the piano as well as the quality of the soundboard. Alaska spruce soundboard will almost certainly produce a different tone color from a Romanian spruce soundboard.

The pianist does not influence the shading of the chord. However, the pianist can choose the shading of the harmonization. For example, instead of a dominant 7th chord, one pianist may find the shading of a 9th chord more soothing, another may prefer a 11th chord. Most novices will stick to the basic cadence.

Yes, a passage with notes played in rapid succession, i.e. the melody per se, can have its own shading and coloring. In this context, the examiner is not referring to the shading and coloring of a chord. It's about how the player articulates the musicality of the song.

Last edited: