• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NEA is a bunch of morons wasting taxpayers money

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Besides, it is so obvious that mosquitoes hardly breed in households if the outside areas are well kept and the drains well maintained. This is a scenario of mosquitoes invading into households because the mosquitoes had expanded from their normal breeding grounds. Now, once NEA clean up their act and maintain those outside areas where no one seems to be in charge or other agencies (eg National Park) are in charge, then the mosquitoes menace will naturally be under control. The residential households will have insect sprays and other means to kill off any mosquitoes, because no one in the households can be oblivious to mosquitoes breeding in their own homes, as they'll get bitten and they'll take actions on their own to eradicate the mosquitoes.

I totally agreee. They practically underutilised their staff by visiting households with the least danger of mosquito problems. In fact, there are so many areas with high potential breeding gound outside our home. They should also focuss their energy on catching rats, cockroaches, crows and all the nasty creatures that also potentially post health hazards. Are they so switch-off with nothing to do except to knock on doors and count their quota of visits to justify their salary? May be they find it profitable to charge households than to conduct random check on open grounds :oIo:

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are these NEA home inspections something like a police raid:confused:
Do they have a warrant to search one's home? Is it against the law for households to tell them to buzz off?

No, it is not a police raid. It is just an initiative by an agency, wholly exercised at agency level and while they represents their Ministry, they will still have to follow strictly constitutional and judiciary laws of the country. There must be due legal process and they need to put forth the validity of their case in a court of law.

No, NEA has no warrant to search. You allow them to enter your premise on the basis of co-operation and invitation to access your premise because they asked you to allow them to enter. You agree and end of story. You allow at your own costs, own perils, own decision, own risk, own consideration.

No, it is not against the law to tell them to buzz off, but of course, you don't tell them to buzz off, but to tell them nicely.

What I personally feel is that households should not feed this NEA agency misplaced "scapegoat" propaganda and become party to their over-zealousness, when it is clearly obvious the mosquitoes breeding grounds are out there in those high risk hotspots and not in the residential homes.

Once NEA intensifies their checks, inspections and fumigation exercises on those high-risk hotspots, the mosquitoes breeding grounds would be under control and the mosquitoes will not be able to expand their breeding grounds into residential households. This is natural. Even mosquitoes are not that stupid to breed near human habitat, for their chance of survival will be near zero, as households can eradicate these mosquitoes with sprays and the likes. Again, plain common sense.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Instead of checking all the construction sites and covered drains for mosquitoes breeding, they waste taxpayers money by sending their army of inspectors to knock on every households to inspect the kitchens.

Why don't they use their common sense that if the mosquitoes can breed in a household's kitchens, then the household must really have very think skin, since the mosquitoes will suck the blood of the household members first and they will know.

It's the common areas in the swamps, dumping grounds, construction sites, forested areas, gardens, covered drains that are mosquito breeding grounds and not in the residents' homes.

NEA is purposely wasting taxpayers' money and attempting to put the blame of mosquito breeding squarely on the households instead of seriously finding the root causes of mosquito breeding in those dengue hot-spots.

I would not say that they are wasting tax payers money, like most of the MIW's , they are proficient but not efficient. For example, they will turn up in droves around my area, when there was report of dengue fever cluster & I often wonder where are the clusters? for I have roamed the entire area & found no places where the mosquitoes could have bred. Ok, they are efficient they checked every household for a month & yet they found no sources where they will breed. Eventually after many months...they manage to find one..guess??

The square conduits with a manhole for SINGTEL cables, was breeding mosquitoes...but that still doesn't answer the dengue fever cluster?? I suspect that foreigners living here may have already contracted the sickness & move in or some may have gone overseas & contracted it.

The dengue cluster will appear every few months & strange enough...during the hot months..not the rainy ones...what do you think? NEA is efficient or proficient??

Industrial building...I have manged one for years....you do not see NEA, SCDF, NParks..LTA, only when Bonus is approaching towards July & somewhere October towards December... very efficient. When they do turn up, they will look for some very minor incident to make their visit worthwhile, either you will get a warning letter soon or a small fine of a few hundred dollars...very proficient at this.

So, what do you think, NEA etc..are they efficient or proficient?

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's wasting taxpayers money if NOT used efficiently and wisely.
Also, looks like skiving to me. I would volunteer to check homes than to check drains. KNN, I also not stupid.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, it is not a police raid. It is just an initiative by an agency, wholly exercised at agency level and while they represents their Ministry, they will still have to follow strictly constitutional and judiciary laws of the country. There must be due legal process and they need to put forth the validity of their case in a court of law.

No, NEA has no warrant to search. You allow them to enter your premise on the basis of co-operation and invitation to access your premise because they asked you to allow them to enter. You agree and end of story. You allow at your own costs, own perils, own decision, own risk, own consideration.

No, it is not against the law to tell them to buzz off, but of course, you don't tell them to buzz off, but to tell them nicely.

What I personally feel is that households should not feed this NEA agency misplaced "scapegoat" propaganda and become party to their over-zealousness, when it is clearly obvious the mosquitoes breeding grounds are out there in those high risk hotspots and not in the residential homes.

Once NEA intensifies their checks, inspections and fumigation exercises on those high-risk hotspots, the mosquitoes breeding grounds would be under control and the mosquitoes will not be able to expand their breeding grounds into residential households. This is natural. Even mosquitoes are not that stupid to breed near human habitat, for their chance of survival will be near zero, as households can eradicate these mosquitoes with sprays and the likes. Again, plain common sense.

I had them coming so often around my area, knocking at my door that I told them to buzz off & there is nothing to check in the house, they slot a "love note' under my door that says:

"National Environment Agency, The Control of Vectors & Pesticides Act (Chap 59). Notice to enter premises under section 35" & arranged a day & time ( it was a Saturday)...since I was free, I waited...nobody turn up...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I live in a condo & the area is fumigated on a regular basis. The units are small & I doubt anyone is breeding mosquitoes.

I heard that my neighbour caught dengue but the question is where did he get it? Was it because of the construction site next door or elsewhere? Dengue is passed on by infected people i.e. foreigners. Dengue is a fact of life & in crowded & unsanitary conditions which Spore is becoming more so :rolleyes:

The only positive side I can see is that even the PAP are affected. When I was in hospital I heard of a PAP MP who was infected. If we get 7 million people expect more problems from dengue, SARs, tuberculosis, super bugs ....

jw5

Loyal
I had them coming so often around my area, knocking at my door that I told them to buzz off & there is nothing to check in the house, they slot a "love note' under my door that says:

"National Environment Agency, The Control of Vectors & Pesticides Act (Chap 59). Notice to enter premises under section 35" & arranged a day & time ( it was a Saturday)...since I was free, I waited...nobody turn up...

They are now waiting for you to slot a "love note" under their door to arrange another day and time.

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That is harrassment and unless there is a valid reason to pin-point your residence as the source of the vector whatever, you can wait for the court order before allowing access and let whomsoever know that if any physical damage or otherwise incurred consequent to this allowance of access, you will sue their pants off. Get ready your videographer to tape the whole process for evidence. Do not succumb to scare tactics. Re-claim your legal rights. Your home is your castle and you hold title to all your rights of abode. You do not give it away freely just because someone complains that your residence is a possible source of vector. There must be some evidence, not suka suka because they're conducting an exercise.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tell them to go check the Istana. That place is a big place & you will find plenty of mosquitoes there:wink:

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard that my neighbour caught dengue but the question is where did he get it? Was it because of the construction site next door or elsewhere? Dengue is passed on by infected people i.e. foreigners. Dengue is a fact of life & in crowded & unsanitary conditions which Spore is becoming more so :rolleyes:

Dengue is passed on from carriers and the carrier is the infected mosquito. There is no way dengue is passed on like flu. Unless you're bitten by the infected mosquito, you do not get dengue. It is not infectious, in that sense. Eradicate the carrier and the problem goes away.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
construction sites are held to higher standards by NEA and c.sites have supervisors around to check on stagnant pools of water.

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eradicate the carrier and the problem goes away.

isn't that what the NEA is trying to do when they inspect homes and public sites????

you are arguing for the sake of it. amongst the many incompetent government agencies, the NEA is one of the better ones. brompton aside, they have done a good job taking care of our public spaces.

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
isn't that what the NEA is trying to do when they inspect homes and public sites????

you are arguing for the sake of it. amongst the many incompetent government agencies, the NEA is one of the better ones. brompton aside, they have done a good job taking care of our public spaces.

Yeah right, NEA is doing a great job of wasting taxpayers money, besides brompton bikes.

Isn't it common sense to eradicate carriers in their natural breeding grounds, which are the drains, construction sites, forested areas, etc, etc, and then to do it regularly so that mosquitoes have no chance of spreading their breeding grounds to households? By destroying their natural breeding grounds in a haphazard and irregular manner, NEA is inadvertently forcing the mosquitoes to breed in unnatural places like households. Common sense will tell you that only stupid mosquitoes will choose to breed within households. They do so because their natural breeding grounds are disturbed incompletely. Mosquitoes can fly and NEA should spend more time figuring out how to prevent mosquitoes from being able to move from one cluster to another. They're the cause of mosquitoes breeding unnaturally in households frankly.

Hence, NEA can spend as much time as they like visiting households and 'educating' them, but they're not tackling the dengue outbreak at source. Households are secondary sources only and if NEA intensify their checks and fumigation in high risk hotspots, the secondary sources will not be able to sustain themselves and will naturally fizzle away.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even mosquitoes are not that stupid to breed near human habitat, for their chance of survival will be near zero, as households can eradicate these mosquitoes with sprays and the likes. Again, plain common sense.

Mosquitos will breed where they find the right conditions. If that condition is present in your house and a pregnant mosquito happens to fly by they will lay their eggs there. They do not think.....

Unfortunately not everybody has your common sense. That is why they do regular checks.

Last edited:

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
construction sites are held to higher standards by NEA and c.sites have supervisors around to check on stagnant pools of water.

Just do their job properly, correctly and diligently instead of engaging in "scapegoat" propaganda with the households and dengue outbreak will be under control.

I've never found it successful from records that NEA visitations to households had controlled the mosquitoes outbreaks. True, there could be households breeding mosquitoes, but highly unlikely and it is a total waste of taxpayers money to zoom their efforts on households when time, money and effort can be used to intensify these checks and eradication in high risk hotspots.

This is common sense unless NEA is wasting money printing flyers and letters and getting their inspectors a more cushy working environment away from their usual places of inspections. How successful has NEA been in eradicating dengue by visiting households? Every time it rains constantly and everytime there is a construction site nearby, the neighborhood becomes a dengue cluster. Doesn't this tell those morons at NEA something?

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time it rains constantly and everytime there is a construction site nearby, the neighborhood becomes a dengue cluster. Doesn't this tell those morons at NEA something?

Yes, it tells them and us that mosquitos and dengue is something that can never be eradicated fully and should be fought constantly to keep it under control. Common sense.

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mosquitos will breed where they find the right conditions. If that condition is present in your house and a pregnant mosquito happens to fly by they will lay their eggs there. They do not think.....

Unfortunately not everybody has your common sense. That is why they do regular checks.

Dengue is cyclical. NEA should spend their time researching and finding out how and why mosquitoes breeding grounds spread during outbreaks. How many households keep stale water unattended as opposed to drains, forested areas, gardens, construction sites, etc?

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, it tells them and us that mosquitos and dengue is something that can never be eradicated fully and should be fought constantly to keep it under control. Common sense.

Why not? NEA is barking up the wrong tree, that's why it will never be able to eradicate fully. Common sense. Stop pushing the blame to households and use them as scapegoats. Solve the problem, not pass the problem.

SingaporeNINJA

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset