• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My View as a Foreigner woriking in Singapore.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another opposition supporting retard trying to draw up anti-foreigner sentiments by pretending to be one

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. My Singapore boss is a nice man who has taken care of us very well.

However, my observation is that the Foreign T alent (FT) issue (as most locals called it) has snowballed into something that the ruling Peoples Action Party cannot control anymore.

Personally, I am worried about this backlash as it is making me think twice about applying for Permanent Residence (PR) in this beautiful country which I set my foot on 5 years ago. I like Singapore. Its a safe country and efficiently managed. Aside from minor problems here and there (eg. difficulty to get peak hour taxi), the overall experience is good, especially for a single female like me who prefers working in a safer city rather than Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Shanghai or even a very cramped and polluted Hong Kong.

On the FT issue, I am not sure that the Peoples Action Party has really picked up the "ground swell"against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is listening to the push back from its citizens. Also his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a solution to the problem.*My view is that - to then add insult to "injury" by calling the local views 'xenophobic' - it seems to have pushed the issue even further into a possible opposition camp rallying point in the next few years.

The above may be my simple view as I may not understand the complexities of the political system here.*

A local male colleague introduced this forum to me. In my free time (aside from the fabulous shopping that Singapore has to offer), I have read lots of threads and posts in this Sammyboy Forum as a guest for the last 6 months or so. I am actually quite shocked by the anti foreigner sentiments here in this forum and has somewhat weakened my decision to apply for PR.

I must clarify that I do not have any problems with Singaporeans. Generally, they are very nice (except maybe for the Singlish which I have through the years adapted to them - like the "lahs" and the using of tissue paper to "chop" seats in food courts!). In fact, when I go for my home leave back to Shanghai now, I will feel strange for the first few days (though I grew up in Shanghai near the Xin Tian Di area).

I don't support any political parties in Singapore. To me, politics is not my cup of tea. However, during the Singapore elections in 2010, some of my local friends were very buzzed- up and I even followed one of my male colleague who invited me to a rally in Serangoon. It was quite an experience seeing a very very energised crowd. My only impression was the Singapore national pledge at the end of the rally which I could feel the immense nationalism amongst the people in the stadium - which I rarely feel during the non-election time.

I know some of you want to know my views about the recent China bus drivers' strike. To me, I have seen strikes in China, States and London. So I am not really interested but some of my local office colleages did ask me how I feel towards those drivers. Honestly, I don't give a damn. There are one billion people in China and I suspect these drivers are mostly from rural or smaller cities with not much education, hence they are easily influenced by others.

The above is just an independent perspective from me. Hopes you guys and gals here do not take offence.

Jane

How come ur english as a china chink is so much better than the sinkies...

PLease so not apply a sinkie PR... if you want a PR, go to australia where real human beings lives. YOu dun want to be among a population of cowards where they like to complain online and no balls to go out to the real world to fight for their rights.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. My Singapore boss is a nice man who has taken care of us very well.

However, my observation is that the Foreign T alent (FT) issue (as most locals called it) has snowballed into something that the ruling Peoples Action Party cannot control anymore.

Personally, I am worried about this backlash as it is making me think twice about applying for Permanent Residence (PR) in this beautiful country which I set my foot on 5 years ago. I like Singapore. Its a safe country and efficiently managed. Aside from minor problems here and there (eg. difficulty to get peak hour taxi), the overall experience is good, especially for a single female like me who prefers working in a safer city rather than Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Shanghai or even a very cramped and polluted Hong Kong.

On the FT issue, I am not sure that the Peoples Action Party has really picked up the "ground swell"against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is listening to the push back from its citizens. Also his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a solution to the problem.*My view is that - to then add insult to "injury" by calling the local views 'xenophobic' - it seems to have pushed the issue even further into a possible opposition camp rallying point in the next few years.

The above may be my simple view as I may not understand the complexities of the political system here.*

A local male colleague introduced this forum to me. In my free time (aside from the fabulous shopping that Singapore has to offer), I have read lots of threads and posts in this Sammyboy Forum as a guest for the last 6 months or so. I am actually quite shocked by the anti foreigner sentiments here in this forum and has somewhat weakened my decision to apply for PR.

I must clarify that I do not have any problems with Singaporeans. Generally, they are very nice (except maybe for the Singlish which I have through the years adapted to them - like the "lahs" and the using of tissue paper to "chop" seats in food courts!). In fact, when I go for my home leave back to Shanghai now, I will feel strange for the first few days (though I grew up in Shanghai near the Xin Tian Di area).

I don't support any political parties in Singapore. To me, politics is not my cup of tea. However, during the Singapore elections in 2010, some of my local friends were very buzzed- up and I even followed one of my male colleague who invited me to a rally in Serangoon. It was quite an experience seeing a very very energised crowd. My only impression was the Singapore national pledge at the end of the rally which I could feel the immense nationalism amongst the people in the stadium - which I rarely feel during the non-election time.

I know some of you want to know my views about the recent China bus drivers' strike. To me, I have seen strikes in China, States and London. So I am not really interested but some of my local office colleages did ask me how I feel towards those drivers. Honestly, I don't give a damn. There are one billion people in China and I suspect these drivers are mostly from rural or smaller cities with not much education, hence they are easily influenced by others.

The above is just an independent perspective from me. Hopes you guys and gals here do not take offence.

Jane

Dear Jane,

Good post. thanks.

why do u even want to consider taking SG PR when many Singaporeans are thinking of leaving SG?

For your sake and for the sake of your children, go to a real country which has a future.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
A local male colleague introduced this forum to me.

hi Jane,
welcome to this forum! please continue contributing as you deemed fit.

did you local male colleague direct you to the correct forum? he should have directed you to some flowerpod forum instead :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a foreigner working in Singapore for the last 5+ years. I am from Shanghai, China, studied in States and worked in London. I moved to Singapore post my 1 year London stint.*I worked for a foreign bank in Singapore. My Singapore boss is a nice man who has taken care of us very well....

Jane

Nong hor Jane. :biggrin:

Sanghai xiao gu niang kang ying wen lor ling er. :eek::biggrin:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I many malaysian friends who become PR to take advantage of better benefits and prospects than in malaysia where they are discrminated by the bumiputra policy.All they want is to take advantage of the open door policy of the pap and to earn as much money as possible and return to their
homeland to retire eventually.Their motive is very clear.Singapore is a corporation to make money and NOT a place u call home.Yes,apply to become a PR but DO NOT give up your foreign passport.Remember ,singapore is just a stepping stone for success for foreigners.This is a mad soulless island whose only ideology is materialism.The pap ministers , fake ntuc leaders and the singapore employers all squeezed as much monetary gains as possible from this unequal system so that the singapore workers enjoyed the least benefits.Yes,the anger and bitterness among ordinary folks is festering like a pressure-cooker ready to explode anytime.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jane

Very good . Neutral and have you own mind. Not influence by other.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jane

You've registered recently to tell us that? Cool story. :rolleyes:

IamTiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please lar..... if you are Foreign, or even Talent, then I am Chairman Mao!

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TS, thanks for sharing and don't mind the rambunctious replies. New members are always viewed with suspicions here until proven otherwise. Look forward to more of your posts as they should be refreshing from your perspective.:smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
This "Jane" hasn't replies yet, I wonder why?

TS, thanks for sharing and don't mind the rambunctious replies. New members are always viewed with suspicions here until proven otherwise. Look forward to more of your posts as they should be refreshing from your perspective.:smile:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS

Please continue to contribute.

How did a country that has been cosmopolitan for more than a century become so distressed over the recent immigration policy? It is not just the Chinese, the local Indians, Malays and Eurasians have the same concerns. You should ask the local Singapore Indian what they they think of recent Indian arrivals. It will be an eye opener. Local Chinese call PRC Chinese like yourself "Ah Tiongs" and it is not a compliment.

So how did we get into this situation?

This you have to ask the LEADER OF THE BAND, his view on What SINGapore would be? "Pro-business....and the lowest possible cost in terms of worker's" Ask the same LEADER OF THE BAND, who once contributed to a RECESSION we had...lucky our economy had a REMISSION thereafter in the 90's until external events did another "wave roll"...just ask that LEADER OF THE BAND, "how we get into this situation" most likely it would be "your fault"!