• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Muyiddin has fallen. Long live whoever that will replace him.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As I mentioned, the political scene in Matland is very fluid and at the same time very very messy. All blame should go to Mahathir for creating this mess and his vendetta towards Anwar resulting in him purposely delaying handing over the Premiership to the latter and in the end he kena checkmate by Muhydin. The Fucktard selfish Sultans don't want Anwar for fear that an Anwar led Government with DAP as a major partner would neuter their influence and their powers. And at the same time they despised Mahathir for what he did to them in the 90s. They only want a PM like Muhydin or Jib Kor that pander to their selfish needs. And let's not forget the seriously crazy twisted Mullahs of PAS who have major influence in northern Matland. Things are very rojak now up north. To reset the system and start all over again in Malaysia is near to impossible due to the Bumiputra policies that have been engrained in their system for decades. I always said this to my Malaysian friends. Malaysia with their rich natural resources, would have been more prosperous and richer than Singapore if not for their one sided political and social system that favours the Bumiputra. The new generation of well educated progressive modern Malays like Syed Saddiq wants an equal society for all Malaysians but on one hand you have the narrow minded rural folks hell bent on maintaining the status quo.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moody trying to entice DAP as last ditch hope to survive. If I am DAP, I will accept it.
Thus is the time to get whatever you wanted.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
The new generation of well educated progressive modern Malays like Syed Saddiq wants an equal society for all Malaysians but on one hand you have the narrow minded rural folks hell bent on maintaining the status quo.

New or old doesn't matter.

All Malaysians want a stronger Malaysia without any kafir pendatang who are loyal to kafir foreigners incl stinkypura.

End of.

Stinkies kick up a big fuss about CECA.

Look at a mirror first before pointing fingers at others.

Stinkies don't accept CECA overwhelming them in their fake teeny tiny dot sized peesai.

It would be even more absurd if the ever so affable, not so Islamic and yet so highly (rather stupidly) tolerant of kafir pendatang Melayun were to readily accept the importation of tens of millions of chink+ ah neh kafir pendatang in their midst overwhelming them to the point that stinkypura penang or malacca had at one time or the other more chinks than melayun, and in some places, they still do.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All Malaysians want a stronger Malaysia without any kafir pendatang who are loyal to kafir foreigners incl stinkypura.

jiuhu should be governed by jiuhukias who are not blinded by islamic religion or are loyal to foreign islamic causes. DAP sounds like a good choice.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watching Malaysia politics is more sexciting than mediacock. Mhyuddin struggling to hold onto power. The latest 7 point proposal is a blatant bribery. It will be accepted after some negotiations by Umno and PH to extract more benefits. PAS sûrprisingly has not said anything.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Racist? Nonody can beat umno in thus field. Evrtytime they come up with a plan to take over chinese businesses, the growth rate suffered.

How is it so UMNO more racist than DAP? :roflmao:

The Many Buddhas of Malaysia​

1628908921625.png

I knew very little about Buddhism in Malaysia before I landed in that lush green country. My visit was the result of some last-minute changes and I did not have much time to prepare. As a faithful academic, I did make a quick library dash and pulled out a number of histories, but I only managed to skim the surface before it was time to board the plane.

I was whisked off by friends to the Cameron Highlands as soon as I landed—a beautiful region in the mountains, famous for its tea estates (and the setting for the magnificent novel Garden of the Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng). I was fed at every turn, chaperoned and chauffeured, and entertained with the best sights the Highlands have to offer. At each step of the way, friends explained histories and pointed out details, providing me with an unparalleled introduction to Malaysian culture and love.

1628908965542.png

1628908980902.png

The community I shared my time with there was Chinese Buddhist. There were Taoist shrines honored with incense and oil lamps, references to full moon rituals and Confucian mores, and offerings made to the bodhisattvas. I assumed this was what the Buddhist world of Malaysia looked like. I was, however, quickly relieved of that assumption. As I was being dropped off in Kuala Lumpur, one friend offered me a clue about where to look to understand the complexity of Buddhist Malaysian life further: she suggested I find a Buddhist shop to see what was being sold.

She was right. On the shelves of the first shop I found were Buddhas of every variety mixed together. Chinese guardians placed with Tibetan tantric deities and Buddhas from Theravada lands. There were images from Myanmar, Sri Lanka, the Himalayas, and China, all sharing space on the same shelf in the most extraordinary combinations I have ever seen. Malaysia’s population is 65 per cent Muslim, most of whom are Sunni (but there are Ahmadi communities, Shi’a groups, and more). The remaining 35 per cent of the country’s population, however, is made up of a much more diverse range of non-Muslim communities, most of whom are Buddhist. The Buddhist communities interact with each other with extraordinary fluidity and freedom.

1628909009247.png

I was soon whisked away again, this time by another group of friends who hosted and fed me in ways that I was beginning to realize were a regular feature of Malaysian hospitality. From early in the morning until late at night—every night!—we (myself and a colleague, for whom this was a research trip) were introduced to the stunning diversity of Buddhist life around Kuala Lumpur.

The town of Ipoh (and its surrounding areas) provided, without a doubt, the most breathtaking example: in just one relatively small area, our hosts drove us to temple after temple after temple, not one of which was even remotely the same as the last. We did a marathon 16-1/2 hour tour on one day, visiting a Chinese cave temple, a Bhutanese Kagyu temple, a Sri Lankan temple, a Thai temple, and a Tibetan Sakya temple. There were others too, but I eventually lost count (I was admittedly slightly delirious by the end!) I never imagined so much Buddhist diversity could exist in one small area

1628909036921.png

Even more fascinating, the diversity was to be found inside each temple as well, with Thai spirit houses surrounding the Sakya Tibetan temple, Kuan Yin sharing an altar with Guru Rinpoche, and so much more. The diversity was everywhere and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I kept wondering why there is so little academic (and even popular) attention being paid to this community. There seemed to be more happening in one square kilometer of Malaysia than in the whole of LA! There were very few tourists and there is virtually no research available about the area. How was all of this cultural diversity being missed by the greater international community?

On the one hand, I must admit that it was delightful not to be swarmed by tourists. To walk through these temples quietly with friends, lighting butter lamps, talking with the people who cared for them, and have enough surrounding quiet to hear the insects humming in the background was a gift I did not take for granted.

1628909067589.png

1628909084128.png

But there is a flip side that I became increasingly aware of as well: the Buddhist communities of Malaysia are a minority and they do not enjoy the same rights and freedoms of their Sunni Muslim counterparts. The history is complicated and layered, but regardless of how the country reached this point, at this juncture in time Buddhism appears to be facing serious obstacles. Every Buddhist I spoke with told me about their mounting concerns as further implementation of a restrictive interpretation of Sharia law was being debated in government.

Currently, Sharia only applies to Muslims, and only to a limited extent (mostly having to do with issues of religious practice and marriage and divorce, but each state has its own interpretive range). Few people I spoke with doubted that the reach of Sharia would be extended to non-Muslims and that criminal law would be added to its domain of authority. I was told by a number of a people that it has already become impossible to build new Buddhist temples in Malaysia (unless they are labelled “tourist sites”—an apparent loophole in the system).

1628909124604.png

1628909137508.png

Combined with a number of other logistical obstacles, Buddhism may soon be prevented from developing further (despite the fact that Article 11 of the Federal Constitution of Malaysia promises freedom of religion). One Buddhist monk I spoke with (who is politically active), told me that it is not a question anymore of whether Sharia will be extended. Sharia, in his words, was already here. He carried his papers with him wherever he went, in case he suddenly encountered trouble as a representative in Buddhist robes.

I am in no place to assess the political situation of Malaysia, but I certainly walked away feeling concern about the future of the country’s extraordinary Buddhist diversity. I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to meet with many members of the Muslim community, and I am sure I would have come away with a different impression if I had. I am certain there is debate, concern, and a vast spectrum of interpretation that I have missed. It was a short (albeit very full) trip, but it was ultimately one-sided. The side I did see, however, consistently gave voice to fears about the future of its Buddhist communities. The rich diversity and playful interaction between the different Buddhist traditions was magnificent, and it certainly spoke to a spirit of openness not always available in other parts of the Buddhist world.

1628909168449.png

I am a bit embarrassed to write on a community I know so little about. I welcome corrections with humility, but I thought it would be valuable to provide some of my impressions here, given how little attention Buddhist Studies has paid to this fascinating part of the world. May others pick up the thread and develop the conversation with greater skill.

Last edited:

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hadi is filthy rich.he has two wives. Don't you belueve him in the kampung house. Every parliamentarian have homes in KL the cost which i think they can claim from the gomen.
Hadi is deputy of Muslim scholars group based in Qatar. I am sure Qatar gives him a big stipend.plus he gets ministers pay at RM50k per month as soecial middle east envoy. Muhyiddin way of buying support if no space for him in cabinet. Then there is MP allowance and income. RM16k excluding allowance which includes travel and housing
you are jealous...........go potong more to be more bumi than them

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bribes and chink are like salt and pepper.
They even bribe their gods with money for some money. Ooohh...my head hurts trying to process that.

Oh yes. Even our sinkie bu$ine$$man like forummer Winners, said its ok for politicians to be corrupted so long economy doing well. Tats why he love Najib. In other words hes been bribing officials to get his deal thru! And he blame Hadi Awang accepting bribe. WTF! :poop:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
jiuhu should be governed by jiuhukias who are not blinded by islamic religion or are loyal to foreign islamic causes. DAP sounds like a good choice.
DAP are communists. Most of their MP's can hardly speak the national language until recently,

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tats bribery. And u accept. So u no diff from DAP.
Thats not bribery. Its called squeezing moody's balls. Bargaining power. Squeeze until the thing explode if that is what ui takes to bring the country back to its formoer secular glory.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is it so UMNO more racist than DAP?
Have you ever driven in jiu hu?
In malay majority areas, you can find only mosques. If hindu or chinese want to build tem0le on their own land, there will be a demonstration.
But in ch8nese or indian areas, you can find churches, temples, mosques and synagogues if there are any jews still living there.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I mentioned, the political scene in Matland is very fluid and at the same time very very messy. All blame should go to Mahathir for creating this mess and his vendetta towards Anwar resulting in him purposely delaying handing over the Premiership to the latter and in the end he kena checkmate by Muhydin. The Fucktard selfish Sultans don't want Anwar for fear that an Anwar led Government with DAP as a major partner would neuter their influence and their powers. And at the same time they despised Mahathir for what he did to them in the 90s. They only want a PM like Muhydin or Jib Kor that pander to their selfish needs. And let's not forget the seriously crazy twisted Mullahs of PAS who have major influence in northern Matland. Things are very rojak now up north. To reset the system and start all over again in Malaysia is near to impossible due to the Bumiputra policies that have been engrained in their system for decades. I always said this to my Malaysian friends. Malaysia with their rich natural resources, would have been more prosperous and richer than Singapore if not for their one sided political and social system that favours the Bumiputra. The new generation of well educated progressive modern Malays like Syed Saddiq wants an equal society for all Malaysians but on one hand you have the narrow minded rural folks hell bent on maintaining the status quo.

Very sound analysis, bro. Malaysia parliament will be chaotic, be it Anwar or Zahid as the PM. Only PAS can bring peace to malaysia parliament.

Syed Saddiq is a very talented guy. I simply hope PAP can grant him SG citizenship, he has the potential to be our next PM.
Malaysia can have Hadi Awang as next PM, we take Syed Saddiq as our next PM, it will be a win-win outcome.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have you ever driven in jiu hu?
In malay majority areas, you can find only mosques. If hindu or chinese want to build tem0le on their own land, there will be a demonstration.
But in ch8nese or indian areas, you can find churches, temples, mosques and synagogues if there are any jews still living there.

R u sure teres no temples in Malay majority area? Kelantan? Infact whole of MALAYsia belong to Malays. So u find tons n tons of temples n churches on Malay land. :smile:

Btw look at ur temple at batu cave. So high n majestic. Very grand. Tot is in Tamilnadu. N u say UMNO racist?

Oh ya. U ever come across temples or churches built at basement of bldg or at carpark?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thats not bribery. Its called squeezing moody's balls. Bargaining power. Squeeze until the thing explode if that is what ui takes to bring the country back to its formoer secular glory.

If teres no bribery/corruption tere wont be any cheena towkay.:smile:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If teres no bribery/corruption tere wont be any cheena towkay.:smile:
Bribery/corruption/ cheating is the reason why many communities are left behind.
Successful communities keep to their promises, honour and agreement. And deliver what they say.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bribery/corruption/ cheating is the reason why many communities are left behind.
Successful communities keep to their promises, honour and agreement. And deliver what they say.

Cause n effect. Politicians n officials corrupted due to easy money n bribery fm scumbags