• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Than Hard Truth

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi friends

Very good read on Hard Truths

This is just a another timely reminder to those who did not know much about the past generation of able leaders who were not paid millions for their generous contributions.
They were few but they made the big difference!

So before you vote, think of the "no no men" who made their firm stand against that 'koyok salesman'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hard Truths about LKY
April 3rd, 2011 | Author: Contributions
I have no intention to read his self-serving book, so I do not know if the topics below have been covered.
However, as a babyboomer, I have to record these so that the younger generation are not misled.

No way was LKY the infallible superman that he made himself out to be. The Cabinet of those days worked by consensus, not by fiat. So let me give credit to these old stalwarts.

Lim Kim San: He broke the back of the housing problem with HDB. These were literally “Homes for the People”. While the work has been well documented, what has not been mentioned is the affordibility factor. In those days, a 3-room flat started at $6,200 (in the 60’s). Salaries averaged $400 per month. So a HDB flat was equivalent to 1 ½ years salary, on top of which monthly payments could be made with CPF funds. Compare the maths with today’s HDB prices and monthly salaries. Are you getting a better deal now?
Even my 4 Room HDB flat bought in Ang Mo Kio in the late 70’s cost $26,500 and my income then was about $1,200 (about 1.8 times my annual income).

Goh Keng Swee: He was the brains in the setting up of MAS, SAF, and Singapore’s Industrialization Programme. Jurong was farmland when leveled out the place to build the Industrial estate. I remember the first foreign factory to open up was the Vespa Scooter Assembly Plant, built by the East Asiatic Company. Unfortunately, he left due to the puritan attitude of LKY when he married the second time.

Why did Goh Keng Swee start the SAF and Jurong Indusrtial Estate?
At that time, the British had given notice of their intention to give up their bases and leave Singapore. The defence shield which the British had provided would be gone. The ASEAN region then was an unstable area, with the Vietnam war, insurgency in Malaysia, and the PKI (Communist Party of Indonesia) influential in Indonesia. Hence, the urgency of setting up the SAF and NS.
The British were also a major source of employment with their bases. The closures would lead to further large-scale unemployment, which was already high then. LKY went to Whitehall pleading for the British to stay (Can you beat that?). They compromised by extending and staggering their closures later than their original dates. Many baby boomers will remember the FARELF (Far East Land Forces Headquarters) in Bras Basah Road (site of the Carlton Hotel today). This period was in the 60’s.
Whilst GKS was the administrator, LKY was the super koyok (Chinese medicine) salesman for Singapore. He has still not changed as a koyok salesman.

Jek Yuen Thong: He was a Minister for the heartlanders. Together with his wife, he started a co-operative selling essential goods at low prices in Queenstown. In those days, prices of such goods were controlled by a cartel of wholesalers along North Bridge Road. He bypassed the cartels by buying with cash from the distributors, and most probably also with the influence of his office (he was the Labour Minister, if I am not wrong). The original location was at Forfar House in Queenstown. His operation was the forerunner of the current NTUC Fairprice.

Ong Teng Cheong: He overcame the objections of LKY and convince the Cabinet to approve the development of Changi Airport (LKY said this would be a white elephant) and the planning for the MRT. He had made LKY lose face in front of his colleagues. Being a vengeful man, he never forgave OTC for this. He was vengeful then, and had always harboured grudges against his detractors, even within his own party.
Now you know who objected to deny OTC the State funeral he deserved.

To survive, his compatriots have become yes-men, and have become little emperors in their ministries and departments, paying obeisance to the Big Emperor.

Let’s see LKY’s other follies:
The IR’s: He memorably said No, and that such a project could only be implemented over his dead body. The IRs’ are up and running, and LKY is still alive and kicking. However, we the citizens now have to bear the social costs.

The Clean Rivers Campaign: LKY’s project, which was successful, as the stench and pollution from the Kallang and Singapore Rivers are now gone. Unfortunately, he tried to do one up on Nature with the Marina Barrage. So, instead of keeping out the sea from the CBD, it has prevented rainwater from flowing to the sea. Now we have floodings whenever a heavy downpour occurs.

Comments online from the younger generation who seem to think that those of the babyboomer generation are mostly pro-PAP couldn’t be more wrong. We know the difference between the old PAP and the current PAP.

So, whatever your generation, if you want a change, then do not wait for the other person.

You must answer yourself, if not now, when? If not me, Who?

We want the politicians to work for us, the people of Singapore, not for us to work for them, and cheaply at that.
Harder Than Truth

NOW I know why Ong Teng Cheong was not accorded State Funeral!!