• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious MOE Fucks Up Again!!! Crazy Kid Sat For The Wrong PSLE Exam!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: A special needs student with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) was issued the wrong examination paper during the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) on Sep 15, his school confirmed on Thursday (Oct 12).

Pei Chun Public School said the student was seated alone in class and given extra time to complete the exam due to his condition. He was supposed to be issued the Chinese listening comprehension paper at a foundation level but was given a standard paper instead, it added.

According to the primary school, the paper was given to the student by an external invigilator and the school was notified by the external presiding examiner after the examination.

After it was notified, Pei Chun immediately got in touch with the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB) on the matter and submitted a special consideration form to the board, it said.

“SEAB will take into consideration the circumstances of the incident, the candidate’s performance in the school preliminary examinations and in the other PSLE foundation Chinese papers, and the cohort’s performance in the subject," it said.

The case is still under investigation.

STUDENT'S MORALE "TOOK A HIT": FATHER

The child's father, who declined to be named, told Channel NewsAsia on Wednesday that he was told by the vice-principal after the incident that the child would not be allowed to re-sit the paper as it was the rule set out by the Education Ministry.

However, he was unhappy and disappointed that his child’s preliminary results will now be considered as part of the exam as a result of what had happened.

The preliminary exams, which are taken before national exams like the PSLE, are typically tougher, and my child may not have been as well prepared for them. You are writing off two months of his hard work and he could have scored much better in his PSLE," he said.

He added that his son's morale also "took a hit" as he could not answer the questions in the paper given.

"Now I’m worried about how he’s going to perform for the English listening comprehension exam as that came after the Chinese paper.

“I hope the authorities look into whether they should allow students to re-sit the national exams during such incidents as it’s not my son’s fault that the wrong paper was issued to him.”

PROCESSES IN PLACE WHEN DISTRIBUTING PAPERS: SEAB

SEAB said there are established processes in place for the distribution of examination question papers, which all exam personnel are briefed on before the start of each paper.

These include the personnel assigned to manage candidates who require access arrangements, which are provisions to support accessibility to examinations for candidates with special needs or medical conditions, it said.

When asked how many such cases had surfaced in the past, SEAB would not disclose any details.

Last year, 73 Secondary 5 students from Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School and Woodgrove Secondary School took the wrong O-Level mathematics paper after a mix-up in the subject codes during registration.

Government Parliamentary Committee for Education chair Denise Phua said enforcement has to be tightened for such incidents.

"The examinations board is not unprepared or unfamiliar with the system. There is already an existing system that provides for access arrangements and measures are even listed as to what's required by the students, such as if there's need for visual cues or extended time," Ms Phua said.

"The system is there; we need to tighten the enforcement and always review the process on a regular basis."

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...d-student-given-wrong-psle-exam-paper-9309246

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ADHD cannot sit still...how to SIT for a listening examination??. I thought nowadays, they are trying to emphasise that PSLE etc.. examinations or even Degrees are not important?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ADHD cannot sit still...how to SIT for a listening examination??. I thought nowadays, they are trying to emphasise that PSLE etc.. examinations or even Degrees are not important?

I wonder if the external invigilator had to strap the crazy kid down to a chair to prevent him from going crazy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normal kid you give wrong paper, already panic, loss of confidence, shaken up etc. ADHD would have amplified. They should allow for re-sit. I guarantee they will pass him comfortably but the parents like all parents will still think they he could have aced it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Normal kid you give wrong paper, already panic, loss of confidence, shaken up etc. ADHD would have amplified. They should allow for re-sit. I guarantee they will pass him comfortably but the parents like all parents will still think they he could have aced it.

Fortunately the train tunnels didn't flood, the power didn't trip, there was no fire at the MRT, or else, plus all those, the kid gets the wrong paper. The parents would have to be treated for ADHD & even be straight-jacketed for they would have gone bersek.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am curious how could the student have sat for the wrong paper? Wouldn't the exam paper have a subject title that indicated it was either at 'Standard' or 'Foundation' level?

That ADHD kid didn't check?

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
The system should be amended to allow for students to retake the paper in these limited circumstances. It is simply an adminstrative inconvenient to the MOE compared to the suffering of the children.

No excuse for MOE not to act. Inconvenience should not be an acceptable excuse.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The system should be amended to allow for students to retake the paper in these limited circumstances. It is simply an adminstrative inconvenient to the MOE compared to the suffering of the children.

No excuse for MOE not to act. Inconvenience should not be an acceptable excuse.

Why couldn't the crazy kid just spend two seconds to check that he had the correct exam paper before him? If he did, he wouldn't be in this mess today. Fail the little fucker!

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
How would the kid know he had been given the wrong paper?

The point remains, the system as it stands chooses adminstrative convenience over compassionate justice.

This is a statement of fact as is evident in the treatment of the boy.