• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM wife has just passed away.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never understood how people can take the bluff that the British left Singapore behind as a shithole. Singapore was doing relatively fine when the British left, as do most British colonies. Britain was one of the better colonial masters, they bother to implement a basic infrastructure before pulling out. LKY had an easy job just riding on what the British had cobbled out and just added a few new features.

That's what years of indoctrination by National Education and LKY's memoirs will do to you.

This was also a convenient nefarious scheme to take all the 'from third world to first' credit, hence making Singaporeans feel indebted to the Lees and the PAP. Consequently, the cult of personality is established, and these brainwashed individuals, like Pavlov's dog, rush to pucker up and kiss the ass of LKY. Even their knee-jerk sanctimonious reactions to Kwa Geok Choo's death is nothing more than ass kissing by proxy.

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what years of indoctrination by National Education and LKY's memoirs will do to you.

This was also a convenient nefarious scheme to take all the 'from third world to first' credit, hence making Singaporeans feel indebted to the Lees and the PAP. Consequently, the cult of personality is established, and these brainwashed individuals, like Pavlov's dog, rush to pucker up and kiss the ass of LKY. Even their knee-jerk sanctimonious reactions to Kwa Geok Choo's death is nothing more than ass kissing by proxy.

Agree with you. LKY has created a cult of personality secretly without being too upfront like Kim Jong Il. The British had left behind a good foundation, contrary to most people's viewpoint. For every screw-up like India or Zimbawe, you have Australia and New Zealand who have evolved into first-world nations.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are wrong. Dead wrong. My eyes was only opened yeaterday when I found out it was a fishing village. I know the chap could not find a picture of the island in 1959 full of fishing villages but it does not mean that it is not true. The canal picture did help = got water in it.

What's this about Singapore being a fishing village? Are we talking about the 19th century or the 20th century? Yes, maybe it was more like a sleepy fishing village in the early 19th century when the first brits arrived but in the 20th century it has become one of the major entrepot destinations in asia. But that also doesn't mean that the other races other than the brits were having it good either.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at HK, ruled by successive governors from Great Britain, send there to leech off the chinese people. No strong leadership, all transcient leadership, leadership not even of the same race or country, and yet HK is very successful. Can u please attribute HK's success to one HK leader?

I think a better comparison would be better by using Malacca and Penang. With Singapore the three were governed by the brits as the 'Straits Settlement'. The population composition, cultural traits and historical experiences were similar and the british relinquished them also about the same time.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You maybe right. I suppose that is where the name Singapore as in Singa came from. In fact the other day, when I was strolling along the seashore next to skyscrapers, I came across a spear.
Are you sure it was even a fishing village? I thought it was like darkest Africa with lions running around.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully agree with you. Here's incontrovertible proof to all the doubting Thomases and skeptics that Singapore was indeed a swampland and fishing village as Lee and his merrymen said it was before they took over and converted it from a third world mosquito infested swampland and sleeping village to a first world country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvhY6DtfZs&feature=related

If this film was made by the CCP or god forbid PAP, it would definitely be laughed off as party propaganda.:biggrin:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a better comparison would be better by using Malacca and Penang. With Singapore the three were governed by the brits as the 'Straits Settlement'. The population composition, cultural traits and historical experiences were similar and the british relinquished them also about the same time.

In actual fact, Malacca & Penang are poor comparisons because what made Singapore, Singapore was its geographical location which not only allowed it to be a go-between for trade across most parts of the world but also sheltered it from sea-borne natural disasters.

When I was in school, our geographical location was touted as our only natural resource, in conjunction with our human resources.

The cult of personality was a role LKY played even before the PAP. The bastard knew about fascism very well. The PAP logo is based on fascist dogma. Almost everything that the PAPies do can be traced to fascism. What the bastard did was to marry fascism with what he learned as a traitor to the dreaded japanese kempetei. PAP and LKY is based on Fascism on how to control the political and economic side of society and from the Japanese kempetei he learned how to subdue a population.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
then what are the industries, in your recollection, were during the 60's besides the huge British Military and ANZ bases in SG that time?

Whatever industries we have, the Malaysian, Vietnamese and Chinese have. In terms of regional corporate HQs for Fortune 500 companies, Malaysia has more than Singapore.

What Singapore has achieved since the PAP regime took over the government is a population indebted to the state through ridiculously high public housing prices. Through this indebtedness and total control over mainstream, the PAP has managed to control society to do its bidding.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no doubt that Singapore transformed tremendously and beyond anyone's expectations. It was the determination, the resolve and the vision of a few good men and led by an exceptional individual. Many of us are where we are because of what transpired. The run was good and in the mid 1980s, CPF reached the magical figure of 50% (25+25).

Along the way, a number of Singaporeans paid a heavy price, lost their freedom and we glossed over it.

Something else also came along that was not expected. Race relations within the community became strained. Eventually the race became a factor in housing and in immigration. A society that was used to freely visiting members of other communities stopped seeing that. Public housing which was indeed a miracle is now the political bedrock of control and influence for the PAP. Elections do not resemble that of any democratic society that I know of. The equation carries on because the important economic benchmarks are good. And Singaporeans share in the pie at least in material terms.

Things in the last 10 years have significantly changed. Singaporeans share of the material pie is diminishing. It was not a fluke but a political decision to allow HDB flat to be rented out failing which many proud Singaporeans would not have an income. Many well educated are driving taxis. People are displaced in mid career to make way for cheaper foreign labour.

This is one first world country that does not have a welfare plan that is clear, transparent and accessible to the less able and the disabled without they first losing their dignity. It is one first world country that does not have a minimum wage. It is one first world country that has no legislation to prevent race and demographic discrimination in employment. This is one first world country which has systematically removed consitutencies that have reached the 40 percentage mark in general elections in terms of opposition votes. This is one first world country where elected member of the Parliament cannot head taxpayer funded grassroots organisations but allow defeated opponents belonging to the PAP to do so.

It is sad that none of the fans of old man's wife could provide a single meaningful contribution that can be directly attributed except some diatribe about fishing village. I had to point out her role in enacting the Women's Charter to protect the fairer sex from a male dominated Asian society.

One imbecile has no clue what the word opinion means. Another's take on history must clearly reflect his academic prowess during his time in school and his love of the local media. A third feels that posts that correct the erroneous part of history and does not shine a torch on the recently deceased is hate posts. Where did these people come from. Surely not members of a 1st world country.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why this old cow was at the istana plugged to life sustaining machinery and not at her house in Oxley is a really good question. The taxpayers already paid countless money to keep her alive starting with chartering the SIA 747 to fly her back from London. To her very end, still sucking taxpayer money. U mean her medisave account got so much money to pay for all of this meh?

The Straits Times told a blatant lie to report that she died at Oxley Rd. All this while she was plugged up at Sri Temasek, old fart's residence!

Don't tell me that she was moved to Oxley Rd to die.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
That she's the political mind behind LKY's political brain is urban legend. LKY is very much a man with mind of himself, especially politically. She took care of LKY's rearguard, that's true. She took care of his family and business. LKY couldn't be a Lee & Lee law firm partner officially anymore after becoming PM. She took care of that for him. The conveyancing fortune she made would error-overflow smaller calculators. She couldn't have done that without LKY becoming PM.

With her, LKY could concentrate on politics and wasn't even interested in high ministerial salaries. It was GCT who introduced million dollar ministerial salaries and changed the landscape and mindset of the new recruits.

Lampar lah, GCT was only a stooge and where the fuck he had the balls to introduce multi-million Dollar wages for the cabinet.

It was old fart who was so obsessed that without sky-high wages they would resort to corruption.

I still remember vividly how the old bastard went to parliament to argue that the leaders in Indonesia & Malaysia lined their pockets
with their low salaries which angered Tun Mahathir.

R

redlightmeansgo

Amidst all the diatribe and paroxym of sudden awakening to history, I was just thinking about how the old goat and his wife ran away and SECRETLY got married, only to "renew their vows" when they returned from their Cambridge high horse, presumably for the dignity of their parents.

It seems clear that the two goats embraced what they saw as western liberalism during their time, and had conscientiously sought to live out a life governed by choice. Yet as soon as they tasted and rose to power, they imposed their vision of moral respectability on the populace, even till today.

One set of standards for the elites, and another set for inferior beings who must be subjugated and censured.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lampar lah, GCT was only a stooge and where the fuck he had the balls to introduce multi-million Dollar wages for the cabinet.

It was old fart who was so obsessed that without sky-high wages they would resort to corruption.

I still remember vividly how the old bastard went to parliament to argue that the leaders in Indonesia & Malaysia lined their pockets
with their low salaries which angered Tun Mahathir.

On one occasion Old Fart farted in front on GCT and woody interpreted it as old fart's desire to raise salary of ministers.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Damn u are faster than me, lol, expecting some idiotic people to post same topic soon, lol
Ya lor..many thread has been post since last night,more than i can chew bro,some are post by kids who just passed their PSLE by the skin of their teeth,some are post by bright kids and some are post by senile oldies waiting to see the sun set away..got one goondu even ask when CSJ wife up the lorry.:wink:
Political aside.... Their married is what we should learn.. In rich or poor.. healthy or sick.. Hope that i and my wife and grow together together..
Ya lor...we must be faithful our wife,find joy with the girl you married:smile:..
because 'The dead will never again take part in anythingthat happens in this world".(Ecclesiastes 9.6)
wahlaneh...
a time for everything.

Ya lor..A time for everything...A time for birth and a time for death.:smile:(Ecclesiastes 3.2)

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

I for one would not be ashamed to admit that yes the comforts I have in hand and over my head are due in no small part to the work of one exceptional man and one exceptional bedrock and a set of intellectual equals he led. I may be English Educated but am chinese to the core when it comes to culture and a belief that behind every successful man is a good wife

Yes, the British did not leave behind an absolute mess, but one only has to look North, at India , at Burma at the US and the Philipines and know that leaving behind a world class infrastructure can also result in it turning into an absolute nightmare under an incapable leadership.

That part at least of the PAP narrative rings true but I can't understand the people arguing against it. I would personally would like Ngiam argue against
their linked argument that in effect the PAP unchecked is the only way possible to ensure Singapore's economic and political success.

Locke

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever industries we have, the Malaysian, Vietnamese and Chinese have. In terms of regional corporate HQs for Fortune 500 companies, Malaysia has more than Singapore.

What Singapore has achieved since the PAP regime took over the government is a population indebted to the state through ridiculously high public housing prices. Through this indebtedness and total control over mainstream, the PAP has managed to control society to do its bidding.

Yes, PAP is now the Warlord of Singapore.

JayBee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Yes, the British did not leave behind an absolute mess, but one only has to look North, at India , at Burma at the US and the Philipines and know that leaving behind a world class infrastructure can also result in it turning into an absolute nightmare under an incapable leadership.

Locke

Philipines was never under British.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea why people cannot be balanced in the way that put their opinions across when it comes to politics and political personalities. I am also astounded that people have little clue what transpired. We also unfortunately have maybe have gone overboard. I think you would realise its the older ones as they have seen things in the past that we did not. I for one never came across an middle-aged unemployed Singaporean unless he was a drunk or a gambler. I seem them now by the dozens. We can pretend but can we sleep nights.

If someone is new to this country and landed in Singapore today and read the Straits Times, they would be wondering what exactly that she did after she got married. She obviously was an exceptional individual in terms of her academic studies.

I do respect that she preferred her privacy and chose not to indulge in society in terms to social work and other areas where her clout would have beneficial. That is he wont.

This thing with fishing village and we Singaporeans benefitting from her life's work is absolute nonsense.

By now you know that I have the benefit of insight and inside that others don't and therefore have not been moulded by the compliant press.

Here is another tidbit. GCT when PM stepped in and asked the then recently appointed head of the property lobby group REIDA who was a MP to watch his steps and ask the others to declare their asserts. It was not a stroke of good governance or foresight. It was to check something that was left unchecked for decades.

We are certainly not looking at Mother Theresa and neither are we looking at a sliver of her. If this country had a semblence of democracy and a free press, I sure the truth would be have appararent.

Dear Scroobal

I for one would not be ashamed to admit that yes the comforts I have in hand and over my head are due in no small part to the work of one exceptional man and one exceptional bedrock and a set of intellectual equals he led. I may be English Educated but am chinese to the core when it comes to culture and a belief that behind every successful man is a good wife