• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM wife has just passed away.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with how LKy or KGC had elevated RI's or MGS' status. Fact is, the schools enabled these jokers to have an education that they sorely needed. Fact is, the colonial govt started English education in S'pore and Malaya and set the foundations for the civil service that we have today. The Japs were poor administrators and knew nothing about doing serious work. The 3 years of Syonan were the worst chapters of Singapore's history.

You are an incurable ignoramus.

You must be joking. RI wouldn't RI today if LKY didn't study there. MGS wouldn't be MGS today if KGC didn't study there. Sembawang was abandoned by the Brits to the Japs before LKY translated it and saved it back.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing to do with how LKy or KGC had elevated RI's or MGS' status. Fact is, the schools enabled these jokers to have an education that they sorely needed. Fact is, the colonial govt started English education in S'pore and Malaya and set the foundations for the civil service that we have today. The Japs were poor administrators and knew nothing about doing serious work. The 3 years of Syonan were the worst chapters of Singapore's history.

You are an incurable ignoramus.

And you must be an incurable stiffus who can't read sarcasm.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Condolence to MM Lee and PM Lee. I'm just surprised on some of the comments here, why politicize this matter? Have these people forgotten their beginning? MM Lee brought Singapore from a fishing village to what it is today, A First world country in a Third world region. For MM Lee as one the great leaders in the last century, it's better to be feared and respected than to be loved. Maybe the young generation need to look back where Singapore came from and realize that without MM Lee strong leadership, Singapore could have end up like its neighbours or worse like what Philipines today.

Excuse me u miserable piece of PAP shit, I was born before independence, and I can assure you there was no fishing village. People were much poorer than, but also much happier. There was no such pressure to earn a living and keep working like a dog to just keep your head above water like today. The British already installed many of the infrastructures, rule of law, education system, national defence, etc. The greatest leader in the world is useless if the people of the country are lazy and lethargic. Imagine S'pore is 90% malay, 10 LKYs would not have brought it out of the 3rd world. U give too much credit to a megolomaniac and a tyrant and none to the people who actually did all the hard work and got the country to where it is.

Look at HK, ruled by successive governors from Great Britain, send there to leech off the chinese people. No strong leadership, all transcient leadership, leadership not even of the same race or country, and yet HK is very successful. Can u please attribute HK's success to one HK leader?

So, sit down and shut the fuck up u little shit.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't overdo it. There are a lot of gullible types here who depend on this forum for their history. If you intend sarcasm, make sure it is obvious.

Thanks for the reminder. Caught the virus from Scroobal recently. Go see GP and get some medication. :biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The alliances are within the Cadres system and not amongst the political office bearers.

GCT has hung around in order not to disappoint his followers who were ardently recruited when he became PM 20 years ago. Apparently its a different crowd with many professionals brought in. I am sure he will step down sooner rather than later now that their counterpart is waning fast.

Interestingly, I think we are looking at a power vacuum even though
a family member controls the powerful Home Affairs and PA.There is also a possibility that a family conference will be held soon to make a final decision to step in or out. Kwa Kim Li is the most influential and powerful person in the clan now and there is none from Lees' side. Corporate Singapore will be behind her.

Interesting times.

Yes, its a different crowd now, if you want to see the direction they take, just look at the composition of the CEC. The CEC holds all the power, something that Lockeliberal does not understand. 20 years ago, u can make the case for there being 2 factions. The LKY/Gay Loong faction and the others represented by GCT. Today, the CEC is almost 100% LKY/Gay Loong dominated. I don;t see any GCT side or in fact any other faction to speak of. The CEC in the past used to include non govt. employees i.e. non ministers and what not. Used to be some senior partners of Law firms were even on the CEC. Now, its all cabinet ministers, MPs, and what not. And many of these are SAF scholar generals, who are beholden to the Lees for implementing a SAF parking lot to legitimize their sorry lack of careers.

The way I see it, Gay Loong will take over after Old Goat dies, (he is just waiting in the wings really), and one of his sons from Ho Jinx will be groomed to take over him. So, the leadership picture for the next 50 years is clear to me. Just my take.

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never understood how people can take the bluff that the British left Singapore behind as a shithole. Singapore was doing relatively fine when the British left, as do most British colonies. Britain was one of the better colonial masters, they bother to implement a basic infrastructure before pulling out. LKY had an easy job just riding on what the British had cobbled out and just added a few new features.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are wrong. Dead wrong. My eyes was only opened yeaterday when I found out it was a fishing village. I know the chap could not find a picture of the island in 1959 full of fishing villages but it does not mean that it is not true. The canal picture did help = got water in it.

I think RI was built in 1960. SJI in Bras Basah is an urban myth. It is actually a art place. Go see the real SJI in Malcom Road, cleary it was built during the time of the PAP.

You should also remember that correcting or commenting about history is considered a hate post when someone dies. How the two are related is beyond me as I am just a fisherman.

By the way, sorry to correct you. She was awarded the Queen's scholarship in UK. Singapore did not have any school then. There was a covered shed but it was to dry fishing nets and not to hold classes.

The British also set up schools like Raffles Institution and KE college in S'pore, Sultan idris college in Malaya (where Tengku, Razak etc were alumni). they also facilitated the building of mission schools like Methodist Girls, SJI, etc.

Yes, the Sembawang dockyard was inherited from the British. Oil bunkering and drydock facilities were already in full swing long before even LKY started chasing his woman. If there was no Raffles College, there would have been no education for LKY nor will there be any Queen's scholarship for the (former) old lady.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, cut the guy some slack. He was raised to praise the dead at funerals and correction is considered a hate post or event. It was not that bad. He could have said that the Lees discovered water for drinking or worse still he could have claimed that they laid down the framework for a truly democratic society.

Excuse me u miserable piece of PAP shit, I was born before independence, and I can assure you there was no fishing village. People were much poorer than, but also much happier.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good one bro. Note the sundial and egyptian version of the gregorian calendar in the middle of the fishing village. Near the end, the the first arrival of PAP members in boats with changkul and wicker baskets coming to build Singapore.

Fully agree with you. Here's incontrovertible proof to all the doubting Thomases and skeptics that Singapore was indeed a swampland and fishing village as Lee and his merrymen said it was before they took over and converted it from a third world mosquito infested swampland and sleeping village to a first world country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvhY6DtfZs&feature=related

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny thing is when you are in coporate meeting or having discussions in the real life, people seem to know their history and role of many in this country.

When it comes to media and the Internet, it seems to be a different world.

I once chatted with news presenter and she told me that Singaporeans avoid being interviewed on TV in the streets and when they do, it is very complimentary of the government. But when not on air, it is different story.

I never understood how people can take the bluff that the British left Singapore behind as a shithole. Singapore was doing relatively fine when the British left, as do most British colonies. Britain was one of the better colonial masters, they bother to implement a basic infrastructure before pulling out. LKY had an easy job just riding on what the British had cobbled out and just added a few new features.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fully agree with you. Here's incontrovertible proof to all the doubting Thomases and skeptics that Singapore was indeed a swampland and fishing village as Lee and his merrymen said it was before they took over and converted it from a third world mosquito infested swampland and sleeping village to a first world country.

Don't they even teach the history of Spore in the schools nowadays:eek:

The Brits built Spore into the 4th busiest port & not the PAP. Many old timers even tell me that Spore was better under the British :eek:

Can credit the PAP with building HDB flats but that got corrupted from affordable housing into a PAP money making business: profits from price escalation, shelter for PAP town council members.

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuse me u miserable piece of PAP shit, I was born before independence, and I can assure you there was no fishing village. People were much poorer than, but also much happier. There was no such pressure to earn a living and keep working like a dog to just keep your head above water like today. The British already installed many of the infrastructures, rule of law, education system, national defence, etc. The greatest leader in the world is useless if the people of the country are lazy and lethargic. Imagine S'pore is 90% malay, 10 LKYs would not have brought it out of the 3rd world. U give too much credit to a megolomaniac and a tyrant and none to the people who actually did all the hard work and got the country to where it is.

Look at HK, ruled by successive governors from Great Britain, send there to leech off the chinese people. No strong leadership, all transcient leadership, leadership not even of the same race or country, and yet HK is very successful. Can u please attribute HK's success to one HK leader?

So, sit down and shut the fuck up u little shit.

coolies outnumber the educated during your time, only until after the 70's when Singapore start to move forward into an industrial based economy as the educated work force start to form a bigger part of the population. Also we cannot compare Singapore with HK since HK were nurtured by the Brits 'til 1997. But if you look at what SG achieved today I think we're better off.

Last edited:

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
The funny thing is when you are in coporate meeting or having discussions in the real life, people seem to know their history and role of many in this country.

When it comes to media and the Internet, it seems to be a different world.

I once chatted with news presenter and she told me that Singaporeans avoid being interviewed on TV in the streets and when they do, it is very complimentary of the government. But when not on air, it is different story.
There is already a culture of fear in Singapore thanks to LKY's high-handed methods. The mistaken perceptions that if you do not agree with the govt publicly, ISD will mess up your life. Need I say the famous urban legends going around Singaporeans. Examples will be: Your ballot paper has a registry number to mark you down, Opposition politician's sons always have a rough time during NS, etc.

It is the fear that prevents them from saying the truth. The truth that LKY is not so much a messiah of Singapore, but more of a wily and cunningly smart politician.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a funny world. I suppose to look for heros is in the DNA. Here is a little story. The then Commissioner of Land was so fed up with request from this Lady for her clients that he told the PA that he was always out and unreachable and he was prepared to be moved out of his post. The same person has a lot of respect for Cabinet Minister How Yoong Choong who sued the land office over a personal land disagreement. The matter was decided in court and that is how it should be done. In the open and in public. Not applying political pressure behind the scenes and pretending to be a doyen of virtue.

The Nassim Condo affair came to the fore and clearly showed the network including a high court judge. Imagine a public listed company with oversight and regulatory control did not offer release to its a major stakeholders but to family members of the directors. Bear in mind that it was not a private venture.

One will only know the truth when the country is free and the media is free.

Why?

Being dead deserves auto respect? (Unless killed in the line of duty or sacrifice for others.)

I send neither condolence nor hate message.

I review the deceased lifetime eulogically and pass no judgment on or for others.

LKY himself said, when the last leaf dropped, let history be the jury.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the fishing village? Or do you prefer that we avoid the subject.

coolies outnumber the educated during your time, only until after the 70's when Singapore start to move forward into an industrial based economy as the educated work force start to form a bigger part of the population. Also we cannot compare Singapore with HK since HK were nurtured by the Brits 'til 1997. But if you look at what SG achieved today I think we're better off.

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
HK has much more character than Singapore. Ask tourists whether they want to visit HK or SG, most will say HK. Simply because most of SG is 'manufactured' and fake, not much different from North Korea. The British might have ruled HK for 100 years, but at least they keep most of the place distinct character intact. Want to enjoy the dark side of HK, you can visit Mongkok. Want to enjoy the developed side of HK, HK Island is reachable just by crossing Causeway Bay.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... But if you look at what SG achieved today I think we're better off.
ya, man! ...

evrytime, wateva, juz say ... sg world crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1 ... lidat can oredi ...

Last edited: