• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrating to Australia - medical checks

linkymn

Hi,

Have been contemplating migrating to Australia. However, there is some health issues with me. Understand that there will be a medical check before a PR visa is granted. Would like to enquire what are they checking for? For those who had done it, like to ask what tests are done and tests for what? For example, if they do a blood test, what do they check for? HIV, blood count, etc?

Can I don't declare this health issue of mine during the medical check?

Thanks in advance.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi,

Have been contemplating migrating to Australia. However, there is some health issues with me. Understand that there will be a medical check before a PR visa is granted. Would like to enquire what are they checking for? For those who had done it, like to ask what tests are done and tests for what? For example, if they do a blood test, what do they check for? HIV, blood count, etc?

Thanks in advance.

You will probably need to declare as they will need to assess how much of a "liability" you will be to Medicare (i.e. how much medicare you will use) before granting you the PR.. then again I might be wrong.. that's the first thing that pops into my head :biggrin:

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a big risk if u dun declare. Dey can void ur PR or even cznship if dey were 2 find out later, dat is, if de doc hus checking u dusn discover it but its unlikely.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These things are never black and white. There is even an opportunity to appeal. Its a first world country and typically more humane. All your effort should focus on on applying for migration and don't worry too much about the health aspect. At least you know you tried and not wonder for the rest of your life.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You must also consider the ramifications even if your appeal is successful.

Employment medical checks will also come to play, unless of course, you intend to start a business of your own.

I know of a family that got their application rejected because their kid had downs syndrome and another with Hep B that got in but under some special conditions that restricted his Medicare privileges.

But my own personal experience is that, during my time of application, they can get very anal about missing details in your application and while the civil service in Oz is more transparent in the appeals process, it takes its toll in terms of response time.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is a good opportunity to remind all those who intend to emigrate not to keep putting it off with feeble excuses like "waiting grandma to kick the bucket" or "kids to get a bit older".

Get the PR as soon as you can while you're still young, fit and healthy. If you wait till you're in your forties, chronic diseases such as hyptertension, gout, thyroid issues, diabetes etc start surfacing and it makes approval that much harder.

These illnesses don't kill you but they limit your options in many ways when it comes to travel and emigration.

linkymn

Thank you all for your advise. The immigration form sent by Leongsam on the health check details seems encouraging.

When we are granted the Australian PR, can we immediately enroll in the Medicare? Are there any so call "cooling off period" for pre-existing conditions?

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a good opportunity to remind all those who intend to emigrate not to keep putting it off with feeble excuses like "waiting grandma to kick the bucket" or "kids to get a bit older".

Get the PR as soon as you can while you're still young, fit and healthy. If you wait till you're in your forties, chronic diseases such as hyptertension, gout, thyroid issues, diabetes etc start surfacing and it makes approval that much harder.

These illnesses don't kill you but they limit your options in many ways when it comes to travel and emigration.

Why would anyone want to migrate? Singapore is the best place on earth to live. PAP has done such a great job! "Balanced View"

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are eligible for Medicare once you APPLY for PR. Both my sons' applications are still being processed, thus they are given a temp Medicare card (Blue in colour). Missus and myself are on the normal green card.

So far their benefits seems to be the same as us. Younger son has had a check for a small hole in the heart (which was detected in sg), older son scheduled for urologist and speech pathologist (council nurse says he behind his peers in speech development even though he's only 2.5 years.. :s)

Thank you all for your advise. The immigration form sent by Leongsam on the health check details seems encouraging.

When we are granted the Australian PR, can we immediately enroll in the Medicare? Are there any so call "cooling off period" for pre-existing conditions?

Last edited:

linkymn

Hi Valiant20,

Sorry to hear that you son has a small hole in his heart. Did the assessing doctor try to make things difficult for you and try to reject your whole family application? Was your son on any expensive medication that the assessing doctor felt that this could be reasons to reject the application?

Sorry for probing. Just want to find out how serious the immigration authorities view medical conditions.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about Medicare...

When we came over last year, we were issued out Medicare card - how it works is this:
1. When you visit a doctor - you need to pay the consultancy fees (usually about $50-80)- and then Medicare will reimburse about $35 to you.
2. Medication, need to buy from chemist/pharmacy - may get some discounted rates with medicare card and/or charged normal prices. Ask for generic brand medication for cheaper prices.
3. Bulk billing: there is this process called bulk-billing where you don't need to pay any money for consultation, the doctor claims directly from the Oz gahmen. But not all doctors offer this service - so need to search abit.

When we first came over and had to see a doctor (my wife suffered from hay-fever last spring), we went to the nearest clinic near our home - great service from the doctor but no bulk billing. So we had to pay the consultation fee of $75, and then got $35 reimbursed by Medicare.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to visit a doctor for an allergy ailment, and I did a search on the web for doctors who bulk-billed, and then went to the most convenient one. It was free! But I had to queue for about 20mins, as the clinic was very popular with others who also wanted to save some money.

I understand from others, that hospital visits are also free for those with Medicare.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hospital is free for the public system. It depends on what kind of injuries, operation you need. There might be a long waiting list. In general, get private health insurance, that covers most of your cost but not all, again depends on operations and medical treatment needed. In general, most medical expenses would cover about 50% from medicare and another 20-30% from private health. Certain stuff like physio, chiro are not fully covered under medicare but are covered under private health. There is also medicare loading, which, if you do not have continuous private health cover over the age of 30 would add to that during tax time. In general, if you earn a lot, over 150K a year now, get private health care. If not, just go through the public health system.
Talking about Medicare...

When we came over last year, we were issued out Medicare card - how it works is this:
1. When you visit a doctor - you need to pay the consultancy fees (usually about $50-80)- and then Medicare will reimburse about $35 to you.
2. Medication, need to buy from chemist/pharmacy - may get some discounted rates with medicare card and/or charged normal prices. Ask for generic brand medication for cheaper prices.
3. Bulk billing: there is this process called bulk-billing where you don't need to pay any money for consultation, the doctor claims directly from the Oz gahmen. But not all doctors offer this service - so need to search abit.

When we first came over and had to see a doctor (my wife suffered from hay-fever last spring), we went to the nearest clinic near our home - great service from the doctor but no bulk billing. So we had to pay the consultation fee of $75, and then got $35 reimbursed by Medicare.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to visit a doctor for an allergy ailment, and I did a search on the web for doctors who bulk-billed, and then went to the most convenient one. It was free! But I had to queue for about 20mins, as the clinic was very popular with others who also wanted to save some money.

I understand from others, that hospital visits are also free for those with Medicare.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, I shall share my lobang with you.. In 2004, I was informed to sit for English test, same goes with my wifey... I refused & appealed... Reason: I obtained my education (Bachelor Hons) in Australia and there's no need to assess my English again. They agreed but insisted my wifey to sit for test.. I appealed again.. I insisted my wifey was trained English and all her subjects were taught in English, hence not required. They requested formal endorsement from NTU, which we did. Finally, exemption (from English) was granted ! We managed to "siam" all their ridiculous demand. lol !

Moral of the story : "Do not obey blindly"... Have the balls to challenge... & unsinkified yourself before you land !

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was even luckier, they do have the policy back then that if you graduated from Aussie uni, English test is not required. So I don't even need to appeal. If this worked, why so many PRC MM desperate to go through IELTS after graduation? 4 8.0 now I hear. Maybe should I should setup a biz and help all these PRC MM to migrate, can even intro them to you so they can earn some side cash as chicken. What do you think ?
Ok, I shall share my lobang with you.. In 2004, I was informed to sit for English test, same goes with my wifey... I refused & appealed... Reason: I obtained my education (Bachelor Hons) in Australia and there's no need to assess my English again. They agreed but insisted my wifey to sit for test.. I appealed again.. I insisted my wifey was trained English and all her subjects were taught in English, hence not required. They requested formal endorsement from NTU, which we did. Finally, exemption (from English) was granted ! We managed to "siam" all their ridiculous demand. lol !

Moral of the story : "Do not obey blindly"... Have the balls to challenge... & unsinkified yourself before you land !

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Not too sure if they are going to have an assessing doctor procedure as they are under family migration.
Local cardiologist couldn't detect any hole (murmuring between heart beats), might have closed by itself. Doing a scan in later in the year to confirm. All these procedures are bulk-billed :smile: with a referral from a GP.

Wifey and I got PR in mid-2000s via skilled route so had the assessing doctor/med checks then.

Hi Valiant20,

Sorry to hear that you son has a small hole in his heart. Did the assessing doctor try to make things difficult for you and try to reject your whole family application? Was your son on any expensive medication that the assessing doctor felt that this could be reasons to reject the application?

Sorry for probing. Just want to find out how serious the immigration authorities view medical conditions.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I got to be honest with you.. If you have PRC contacts, ya be making lots of money !! (Provided you have unsinkified yourself) :smile:

I was even luckier, they do have the policy back then that if you graduated from Aussie uni, English test is not required. So I don't even need to appeal. If this worked, why so many PRC MM desperate to go through IELTS after graduation? 4 8.0 now I hear. Maybe should I should setup a biz and help all these PRC MM to migrate, can even intro them to you so they can earn some side cash as chicken. What do you think ?

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You guys are lucky! My application crossed over into 2006 (no thanks to a 2 mth wait for an assessment from CPA).. Had to book to sit for IELTS for the new year (another 3 month wait for the test), almost a year before they granted me my PR. Thankfully my English language sufficed :p

Friend of mine, grad same time as me, went through ICA? (International Chartered Accoutants?) got his PR in 5 months!