• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Michelle Chia's Wedding Gown tiff with Designer - The gown that caused a frown

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gown that caused a frown
Did designer who accused Michelle of copying over-react?
By Kwok Kar Peng

May 13, 2009

BATTLE OF THE DRESSES: Ms Renee Leung's diamond-back gown. She claimed that Michelle Chia's gown (centre) was a copy of hers. PICTURE: LIANHE WANBAO

THE celebrity had popped into her shop, took a liking to a diamond-back gown, tried it on and even took a photo of it.

Now the designer of that gown is accusing Michelle Chia of stealing her design for the star's own wedding dress.

The accusation came just days before the Channel 8 host's wedding on Sunday.

Designer Renee Leung said that Michelle had visited her bridal boutique Renee L Collections last November to try on gowns for Channel 8's The Anniversary Show 2008.

That's when Michelle saw the diamond-back gown.

Five months later, Michelle wore a similar-looking gown in a cover of U Weekly, for a report on her wedding.

The gown was one the TV host intended to wear for her wedding.

Ms Leung cried foul.

Michelle, however, denied the accusation. On Sunday, she defiantly wore the dress.

It is understood that both parties have since consulted their lawyers on the matter.

This isn't the first time that the diamond-back design is introduced, said Mr Patrick Chan, who designed Michelle's gown.

According to Mr Chan, chief designer of bridal boutique The Wedding Present, the design had already made its appearance in a Monique Lhuillier gown a few years ago.

The New Paper understands from Mr Chan that the Lhuillier gown had a diamond back and cap sleeves, not unlike Ms Leung's gown.

Michelle's gown instead, features a halter-neck.

An unhappy Mr Chan said he is leaving the issue to Michelle to handle. He also said he thinks Ms Leung is over-reacting.

It is common practice for brides-to-be to refer to bridal magazines for ideas for their own gowns, he said.

Ms Aileen Chow, a bridal dress designer for Golden Horse Awards Bridal & Studio , agreed, and told The New Paper that 'there's no copyright (for dress design) in Singapore'.

She has never heard of anyone copyrighting a dress in her 22 years as a designer, she added.

While it is possible to copy the design of a high-end wedding dress, she said, it won't be an exact replica, because certain fabrics may not be available.

Both Ms Chow and Mr Frederick Lee of Frederick Lee Bridal don't do direct copying from other designers' gowns. They will instead modify the design and inject their own special touches.

Mr Lee told The New Paper that he doesn't register his designs because it's 'troublesome'.

He sounded taken aback when this reporter told him of the accusation by Ms Leung.

His designs, often splashed across magazine pages, have been copied many times as well, he said.

'I have seen staff from other bridal boutiques pretending to be couples and looking through my gowns. People have even told me that they saw gowns with my label hanging in other bridal boutiques,' Mr Lee alleged.

Though hurt initially, the designer of 16 years said he now sees imitation as the best compliment.

'I have to grow immune to it because there's no way to control copying,' he added.

The New Paper contacted the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore last week to ask if it's possible to copyright a dress design, but could not get a reply at press time.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun think they can patent the wedding dress design.

so basically the designer using this to advert their shop

free advert, if the newspaper jump on it.

t123

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, IMHO I think Shuan Chen is short changed. He got hitched with a used to be SPG. Maybe he needs to bring in a carrot when in the bedroom.:biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why so much publicity and so much silly theatricals...marriage is a serious affair..clowning around from 5 am to midnight....quite comical and hilarious but really silly..

michelle looks not so good leh....too stiff....