• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mediacock gives itself more awards

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
MediaCorp named "Terrestrial Broadcaster of the Year" at ATV Awards

SINGAPORE: MediaCorp, the parent company of Channel NewsAsia, has been named ’Terrestrial Broadcaster of the Year’ for the second year in a row at the 13th Asian Television (ATV) Awards.

The company also won five other awards and eight commendations at the ceremony held on Thursday.

MediaCorp won the coveted "Terrestrial Broadcaster of the Year 2008" despite stiff competition from other countries.

The company said the award would mean working harder next year, especially with tougher economic times expected.

Mr Lucas Chow, CEO of MediaCorp, said: "Continue to create content very unique to MediaCorp, being creative about it. I think that is still the direction that MediaCorp will continue to take.

"We have started to move on to regional platforms and regional content. We will continue with that in spite of the very difficult times we face. But of course, we would be very careful in managing our costs. We have to have better planning, have less wastage, so as to cut down the costs for production."

For now, the company — with 26 nominations this year — can rejoice with wins and commendations in eight categories.

Channel NewsAsia’s documentary "All Things Paper" was named ’Best Infotainment Programme’.

Woon Tai Ho, Managing Director, Channel NewsAsia, said: "’All Things Paper’ illustrates clearly that facts are not only informative but they can entertain as well. So ChannelNews Asia is not just about news, we can entertain our viewers with information. Most people know us for news but people should also know us for our current affairs programmes and our infotainment programmes."

Also in the same category, the channel’s two other documentaries "Tale of Four Cities" a travelogue, and "Bring it On Beijing!" about the Beijing Olympics 2008 were named ’Highly Commended’ programmes.

Its other documentary "Spirit of the Times" about Chinese Contemporary Art was highly commended for ’Best Documentary’.

MediaCorp’s TV 12 took home two awards — ’Best Single Drama or Telemovie’ for "Singapore Short Story Project" by Arts Central and ’Best Children’s Programme’ for "REM The Next Generation" by Kids Central.

Ms Daisy Irani, Vice President of MediaCorp TV 12, said: "You are looking at the quality that is improving, because otherwise with this kind of competition coming all over Asia, you might not be nominated. So yes, very good quality, really looking good. And I think the second thing is the creative people need this sort of encouragement."

Quan Yifong from MediaCorp Channel 8 was named joint winner of the ’Best Entertainment Presenter Award’ for the first time.

She shares the award with colleague Guo Liang. The outspoken artiste recently went through a widely—publicised divorce.

Ms Quan said: "I have always treated my work as my life. I never thought my life would bring me any awards, or rewards. To me, it just brings colour to my life."

Another first, MediaCorp’s Channel 5 bagged the ’Best Entertainment One—off Annual Award’.

Unlike previous years, MediaCorp did not have a strong showing in the ’Best Comedy Performance’ and ’Best Comedy Actress’ categories this year.

Actress Michelle Chong, nominated for ’Best Comedian Award’, was edged out by Thailand’s Choosak Iamsuk. But she was given a commendation by the judges.

Even though this year’s awards received an overwhelming 1,200 entries from 12 countries and cities, some delegates said that this year’s ceremony was relatively low key and had a smaller turnout compared to the ones held in previous years, perhaps because of the financial slowdown. Still the night would be a memorable one, especially for the winners.