• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MBT still blowing smoke about the connection between HDB prices and Reserves

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
MBT has been lately trying to attack the WP platform on the lowering of prices for HDB flats by pegging them to the median income. His arguments are illogical, rambling and for a Minister of his supposed calibre unclear and unprecise.

Firstly, lets just say here I am not a WP member or supporter, I am just someone trying to grasp what this Minister is trying to say. He claims that if new flat prices were pegged to the median income, resultant lowering of prices for the new flats will lead to a significant negative impact on the prices of resale flats. How is this possible? The market for new flats is different from that of resale flats. Most resale flat buyers cannot qualify for a new flat. New flats as a percentage of total flats sold in Singapore is not more than 20%. In some recent years, only a few thousand new flats were build. In addition, most new flats are build to BTO and that means the HDB is not flooding the market with cheap flats for first time buyers, regardless of whether there is a market or not for them. Resale flat prices have been strong, because of the large influx of FTs into Singapore, and the proposed increase in these numbers of FTs. These FTs are buying up resale market flats, and most would not have qualified for a new flat anyway. How than would MBT like to explain, can resale flat prices fall? If resale flats prices fall significantly as the Minister says, is that a bad thing for heartlanders priced out of this market? I think not.

MBT says that the WP policy will cause the flat prices to crash immediately. As the Minister with all the information available to him, would he care to elaborate with figures, statistics, and facts how this crash would be caused by this proposal. Its very easy to make sweeping alramist statements like "cause prices to crash deliberately" without backing them up. Its one thing for the oppo not to have all the facts at their fingers because of years of secrecy surrounding what the HDB pays for land and construction costs, but its quite another whent he minsiter in charge cannot have these numbers available.

Secondly, MBT uses the issue of the lowering of reserves that this supposedly crash in prices will cost. I am sorry, but I don't see the connection here. Is he saying that the WP will have to dip into the national reserves to fund these cheaper new flats? Obviously, any negative impact on resale flats will not be compensated in any shape or form because its market driven. But already, the HDB is losing large sums of money every year according to their financial report. Does that mean that MBT has been dipping into the reserves all this time? If the PAP can dip into the reserves to fund these HDB loses, why can't another party? If MBT thinks that the reserves can be so easily accessed and depleted, than why do we pay an Indian chap $3.5 million a year to be the guardian of these reserves? Even more basic, how much is there in the reserves? MBT should let everyone know how much there is in the reserves, so we can all make a decision on how much, if any, should be used to subsidized cheaper flats for young singaporeans.

All the nation waits with bated breath to see what things can or cannot be used to deplete the reserves. What MBT has now stated for a fact is that the reserves could be used to subsidize lower costs flats. What are we waiting for? I can't think of a better reason or a more deserving recipient than a youing man and his wife, who has given two years of his life to the nation in NS, and are starting a new life together. We give all manners of benefits, monetary included, to newcomers and FTs in integration programs, language programs, skill upgrade programs, etc. Why can't we give our own people a break? Only a mean spirited person like the minister would associate this good deed with robbing the reserves. He is so pathetic.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
to sum it up, he's been the blue-eyed-boy of the men-in-white, for his outstanding track record of profiteering policies. his solutions helped generate billions, failed to solve the imminent problems, and as a result caused more problems.

1. ERP gantries to control traffic into town.... put 100 gantries, people will stil have to crawl into town
2. raise HDB prices, making it nearly impossible for older home owners to liquidate/ downgrade for retirement

in all his yrs in service, has he really addressed any genuine concerns, and served the people's interest? the answer is obvious

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
to sum it up, he's been the blue-eyed-boy of the men-in-white, for his outstanding track record of profiteering policies. his solutions helped generate billions, failed to solve the imminent problems, and as a result caused more problems.

1. ERP gantries to control traffic into town.... put 100 gantries, people will stil have to crawl into town
2. raise HDB prices, making it nearly impossible for older home owners to liquidate/ downgrade for retirement

in all his yrs in service, has he really addressed any genuine concerns, and served the people's interest? the answer is obvious

I think the same can be said of the entire PAP cabinet, have they served the people's interest in last few years.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are your SERVANT during Campaigning!
After voting we are Your MASTERS!!

Whatever I say u listen and listen GOOD!

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Pal!

Better still....

I am going to agree with MBT and use what he said to break his own ribs.:eek:

HDB flat belong to him MBT's HDB' not us, we are only Leese, they can take back at any value any time if say they found that you did not occupy the flat - rent it out to survive.

So challenge the LEEgime to admit that they calculated entire SG's HDB flats as HDB's assets and thus make up the number of our NON-TRANSPARENT & MYSTERIOUS national reserve.

If MBT leaked the right thing, then yes!

Lower HDB values means reserves are fucked.
:eek::eek::eek:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
No Pal!

Better still....

HDB flat belong to him MBT's HDB' not us, we are only Leese, they can take back at any value any time if say they found that you did not occupy the flat - rent it out to survive.

So challenge the LEEgime to admit that they calculated entire SG's HDB flats as HDB's assets and thus make up the number of our NON-TRANSPARENT & MYSTERIOUS national reserve.

I am sorry, I don't get the reasoning here.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No Pal!

Better still....

UY, you are not a dumb person. But when you put arguments together, can follow proper straightforward western logic? It fast and to the point. Then you can put the facts to support. In Mandarin, it is okay, it is still fact overdose.
Train of thought and mathematical logic helps. I am saying this to you and your comrades. You would be surprised that the number of people who understand and appreciate more. Talk about loss of life time income savings and increase in lifetime income expenditure and wealth you get to pass on to you kids. The figures will scare more than MM Bogey man tactics.