• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mavis tutorial centre -absolutely the worst centre in SG ever.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal
By far, the most exploitive tuition center. 6 days work at 6 different locations. Own gadgets to bring. Usage of 7-9hrs per day. Spoil faster. No compensation. Must bring at least 2/3 gadgets with chargers, HDMI cable etc. Very heavy to bring around to different locations. Very heavy workload, too much travelling for small pay. Sometimes have to attend meeting on the only one off day. A new staff is always the scapegoat for endless relief duties and curriculum work. Very high number of MCs and high turnover due to the toxic work culture. Very high-handed and unscrupulous management. In the interview, the management sugarcoats and misleads you to sign up. Only after joining, you find out the true extent of work scope, schedule, duties, expectations, etc. Horrible experience. Might as well WFH with your own gadgets and be so much happier than sacrifice your expensive gadgets for the development and functioning of an unappreciative company. Totally not worth working here. You will be miserable.

https://www.glassdoor.sg/Reviews/Mavis-Tutorial-Centre-Reviews-E1349132.htm

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nope, will never work for this compamy again even if its the last company in the world

Pros
Feel free to recommend this job to someone you dislike/hate

Cons
- Words of the management are to be trusted at your own risks without support in black and white - Center Manager that you get to work with is highly dependent on luck; I had the misfortune to work with one who is irresponsible, loud and pushy - Attempt at any show of kindness will be likely taken as a sign of weakness and management will exploit it fully - Management will prioritise in clearing your annual leave and unpaid whenever you ask for time-off or ask for Public Holiday in Lieu on specified day/s. - Will be expected to attend meetings even on your off days - Had to attend exit interview and return keys 3 days after last day of work - More to be discovered at your own distaste if you sign up for the job

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exploited but nothing has changed over the years

Could be by far, the most exploitive tuition center in SG. A lot of bottlenecks at the decision-making level, with hardly any good decisions made. The dip in quality and staff morale is very apparent not only internally with extremely high turnover rates, but to parents and discerning students as well. *PSA* There is a forced variable component on your wage whereby even if you take one-day mc, you will lose a few hundred dollars in your salary/bonus also affected. This is downright exploitation because we are not machines, stop encouraging sick teachers/staff to come to work and spread their virus to others. You will be expected to work outside unbilled working hours, with the lower end of market pay to teach big classes. You'll also be required to attend meetings on your only off day. In these past couple of years, Mavis's standing has taken a sharp nosedive from all the goodwill that's taken years to establish. No real reviews come to Glassdoor just to write "All good, nothing to talk about". Be discerning of these reviews

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exploited & have to deal with rude & unreasonable centre managers

Initially, when I joined the company, I ignored the red flags (e.g. people saying the management only thinks for the company and not the well-being of the staff, over-working and mean Centre Managers). It only became apparent to me when I experienced it first-hand myself. Reasons for exploitation: - 6 days work week, official hours are only teaching hours. They do not count meetings, curriculum planning/marking into the working hours. Hence, we have to spend our only off day to prepare for lessons, leaving little to no personal time. - Classes are huge; some can be more than 20 students, which is super difficult to manage. Marking becomes a big issue as well. Imagine marking more than 20 students' works in each class, 3-5 classes daily. - Relief classes frequently happens at the very last minute. You could be travelling to your class already and get called to relief another teacher's classes. - If a PH falls on your off day, no OIL will be administered. - Even if you are really sick, your variable bonus of $200 will be forfeited. - Mavis is racking in lots of students (which also means lots of revenue), but they can't seem to afford providing a conducive environment for lessons. E.g. Teachers are forced to purchase their own Ipad + Notability and Apple Pencil required for lessons ( easily costing more than $600-1k++). The ipads they provide (ipad mini) doesn't even support Notability (needed for lessons), which really defeats the purpose of providing it. All cables for projecting your work in class also have to be purchased by teachers (e.g. dongle/ugreen/HDMI cable). No dustbins / tissue/ stationery in classes. Staff: - The teachers in general are rather understanding and nice because we can understand each other's plight. On the other hand, most Centre Managers (especially the Aunties) are very rude. If the student loses his/her worksheet, some CMs would first blame the teacher for it. Honestly, it's a common problem that students lose their worksheets, and it is not nice for teachers to get wrongly blamed for this, when we are already trying our best to check if all the students have their worksheets. As CMs they should already know that. Everyone is trying their best to do our jobs, and yet some unreasonable centre managers can make baseless false accusations, causing a toxic and unhappy work environment. Almost feels like students/parents are royalty and teachers are the students' workers. Some CMs can boast that they want to make the workplace a happier one, yet they're ironically creating such unhappiness. Other examples are when CMs blame you for low enrollment rates/drop-outs. Honestly, there are many external factors affecting reasons for quitting/low enrollment, (e.g. if student is moving house, which is totally out of the teacher's control), but it appears to be the teacher's fault as well over here.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Avoid this company at all cost

The class sizes are too big some as many as 22 students. You work 6 days a week which is definitely exploitation and leaves you with no time for yourself. No training for new Teachers and company does not invest in staff training. If there is a meeting on your off day you have to attend it! And that is your only day off mind you. Most of the centre managers are mean and political. There is a forced variable component on your wage whereby even if you take one day my, you will lose a few hundred dollars in your salary. This is down right exploitation because you are not a machine and you have the right to fall sick without being penalised for it.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tight Management, lots of paper work & 30 minutes dinner break!

Parents feedback directly to the management. Management has poor communication with the employees. Claim to have no paper work for teachers but it's not true at all. Have to write down the things to print and how much to print every lesson. They do not print for you! Have to write down lesson plan every lesson. Random file checks and CCTVs in classroom to monitor the teachers. Teachers are not allowed to touch their handphones at all due to parents' feedback. The most ridiculous is the 30-minute dinner break which we stuffed ourselves with snacks. No proper training or orientation. Very messy administrative staff. Allows for make-up lessons which make things very difficult for the teachers. Different centres have different methods of doing things. Have to suck up to different centre managers as they also feedback to the management about you. In other words, eyes are everywhere. Career growth is non-existent- all teachers are just teachers - there are no hierarchy to senior teachers, and the curriculum directors are only 1-2 for primary and secondary (basically only 5 in the whole company). Management wants you to do extra lessons for students at no extra cost every exam period. They said highly encouraged but what they really meant is you MUST do it.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Re: MAVIS TUTORIAL CENTRE

Post by tanweizhong

Ljas1370 wrote:Hi Chief Kiasu & All Parents,

Have anyone heard of this tution centre before. I would like to have some feedback. Many thanks.
My Kid was there with her sister... quite sometime ago, but I get them to quit the classes. It SIMPLY HORRIBLE.

Turns out that my elder kid only master how to play Dai Dee (poker) in the class. The teachers just simply walk in and out constantly, while instructing them to do their own revision. While my younger kid in a different class, can't understand what the teacher is teaching. The class is simply too noisy, all the students just chit chatting while the teacher just sit at his desk.

(How I know??? I find it too hard to believe when my kids video it down in their handphone... That shows that there is are discipline enforced in classes... and that is how I find out)

I wasted my money and trusted the wrong person for introducing me below standard tuition center.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal
★★★★★
Current Employee

Steer clear.

7 Jun 2023 - Lead Teacher
Recommend
CEO Approval
Business Outlook
Pros
A few experienced and dependable ex-colleagues whom I can trust but most of them have since left this company.
Cons
The company's negative reviews are accurate because the higher-ups refuse to acknowledge their flaws and adhere to an outdated management style. Promises made to attract people to the company are rendered void once they join. The higher-ups openly practice favoritism, treating those in their favor with great praise and disregarding others. Certain centre managers exhibit hypocrisy by pretending to be supportive and empathetic but in reality, they act as informants. This company lacks progressiveness, causing many excellent teachers to leave due to the toxic environment. The benefits provided by the company are so minimal that they might as well not exist. There are no welfare initiatives or even corporate discounts on phone bills or reasonable medical consultation claim rates, which are capped at a mere S$20 despite inflation over the years.

Satanic verses

Alfrescian
Loyal

Undercutting on offs and punctuality incentives

Suspension of incentive if on leave, exceed 15m punctuality max 3x a month, on medical leave etc. Different centres operate differently, certain centres and their centre managers are known to micro manage. No family friendly events or staff welfare (corporate discount on phone bills etc, medical consultation claim rates are capped at a meagre S$20 despite inflation throughout the years). Increase fees charged to customers but not salary of employees.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deliver food less stress. If dowan to work, just off the app. All Jungle people ! all happy people. ,!

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is what Lim Swee Say meant by Singapore must be fasterer, cheaperer and betterer , meaning work longer hours for lower pay.
Where is the so called trade union NTUC when locals are being exploited by their employers.?
You want better working condition and quality of life, vote the PAP out , if not remain as sheep or serfs while PAP ministers collect the highest salaries in the wotld