• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Matland Minah afraid of backlash for wearing sexy cheongsam!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malay Malaysian afraid of backlash for wearing cheongsam, netizens encourage her​

The Malaysian garnered responses from a range of users, including those of Chinese and Malay descent,​

Aminah Farid
Aminah Farid
·Contributor
Thu, 14 September 2023 at 1:00 am GMT+1·3-min read

A white and pink cheongsam on a mannequin in a shop

The cheongsam is the traditional costume for the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia. (Photo: Getty Images)
KUALA LUMPUR – The upcoming Keretapi Sarong event on Malaysia Day (16 September) is known for its vibrant celebration of Malaysia's diverse culture and heritage.
Keretapi Sarong is a flash mob programme currently run by a local non-governmental organisation, Locco, to highlight the sarong as a symbol of unity and showcase the diversity in Malaysian culture while encouraging the use of public transport.
This year's theme, "Ethnicity," however, encourages participants to dress up in any outfit that represents the diverse ethnicity in Malaysia.

This has sparked a thought-provoking question from a Malay participant named wendyslemons, who turned to Reddit to inquire about the appropriateness of wearing a cheongsam, a traditional Chinese dress, to the event.

Malaysians show their 'semangat muhibah'​

Wendyslemons' Reddit post garnered responses from a range of users, including those of Chinese and Malay descent, offering insights into the cultural acceptance and inclusivity surrounding this attire choice.
"I have a cheongsam that I've been eager to wear, and I thought this was the perfect occasion, But, upon further reflection, I'm concerned that wearing it might offend Chinese people since I'm Malay.
"Would it be insensitive and offensive for me, as a Malay, to wear a cheongsam to Keretapi Sarong? Non-Malays, please share your thoughts and answer! I won't wear it if it's deemed offensive," the user wrote.
The Reddit community swiftly responded, with several users expressing their support for wendyslemons' choice.
"No way Chinese will feel offended by that," commented chinfrmM, emphasising that a Malay individual wearing a cheongsam is not considered offensive.
"Exactly, if anything, we'll be delighted that you want to wear our traditional clothing," added groundbreaking_wash1.
"The concerns about cultural appropriation are sensitive to certain segments of the population. Chinese people would appreciate everyone wearing cheongsam," suggested MaxMillion888, highlighting that concerns about cultural appropriation may not be universally held.
Meanwhile, another user expressed joy in seeing people of other races wear traditional Chinese attire.
"As a Chinese person, I LOVE seeing people of other races wear cheongsam. I don't think it's even a question that needs to be asked. I've always seen Chinese people wearing baju kurung," shared monkeyballnutty.
The majority of the responses reflect a prevailing sentiment of acceptance and encouragement for Malaysians of different ethnic backgrounds to share and celebrate each other's cultural traditions.
"As a Malay lady, I get excited when I see fellow Malays wearing cheongsam or sari, especially when they wear them modestly," said another user, due_day_77.
"Eh, go ahead and wear the cheongsam. It's a beautiful dress. If you want to explore further, consider trying on Hanfu. In my opinion, it's even more exquisite than the cheongsams out there," said siegfried_lim.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Malay Malaysian afraid of backlash for wearing cheongsam, netizens encourage her​

The Malaysian garnered responses from a range of users, including those of Chinese and Malay descent,​

Aminah Farid
Aminah Farid
·Contributor
Thu, 14 September 2023 at 1:00 am GMT+1·3-min read

A white and pink cheongsam on a mannequin in a shop

The cheongsam is the traditional costume for the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia. (Photo: Getty Images)
KUALA LUMPUR – The upcoming Keretapi Sarong event on Malaysia Day (16 September) is known for its vibrant celebration of Malaysia's diverse culture and heritage.
Keretapi Sarong is a flash mob programme currently run by a local non-governmental organisation, Locco, to highlight the sarong as a symbol of unity and showcase the diversity in Malaysian culture while encouraging the use of public transport.
This year's theme, "Ethnicity," however, encourages participants to dress up in any outfit that represents the diverse ethnicity in Malaysia.

This has sparked a thought-provoking question from a Malay participant named wendyslemons, who turned to Reddit to inquire about the appropriateness of wearing a cheongsam, a traditional Chinese dress, to the event.

Malaysians show their 'semangat muhibah'​

Wendyslemons' Reddit post garnered responses from a range of users, including those of Chinese and Malay descent, offering insights into the cultural acceptance and inclusivity surrounding this attire choice.
"I have a cheongsam that I've been eager to wear, and I thought this was the perfect occasion, But, upon further reflection, I'm concerned that wearing it might offend Chinese people since I'm Malay.
"Would it be insensitive and offensive for me, as a Malay, to wear a cheongsam to Keretapi Sarong? Non-Malays, please share your thoughts and answer! I won't wear it if it's deemed offensive," the user wrote.
The Reddit community swiftly responded, with several users expressing their support for wendyslemons' choice.
"No way Chinese will feel offended by that," commented chinfrmM, emphasising that a Malay individual wearing a cheongsam is not considered offensive.
"Exactly, if anything, we'll be delighted that you want to wear our traditional clothing," added groundbreaking_wash1.
"The concerns about cultural appropriation are sensitive to certain segments of the population. Chinese people would appreciate everyone wearing cheongsam," suggested MaxMillion888, highlighting that concerns about cultural appropriation may not be universally held.
Meanwhile, another user expressed joy in seeing people of other races wear traditional Chinese attire.
"As a Chinese person, I LOVE seeing people of other races wear cheongsam. I don't think it's even a question that needs to be asked. I've always seen Chinese people wearing baju kurung," shared monkeyballnutty.
The majority of the responses reflect a prevailing sentiment of acceptance and encouragement for Malaysians of different ethnic backgrounds to share and celebrate each other's cultural traditions.
"As a Malay lady, I get excited when I see fellow Malays wearing cheongsam or sari, especially when they wear them modestly," said another user, due_day_77.
"Eh, go ahead and wear the cheongsam. It's a beautiful dress. If you want to explore further, consider trying on Hanfu. In my opinion, it's even more exquisite than the cheongsams out there," said siegfried_lim.

Minahs look more civilized in cheongsams than in the silly arabian abaya or hijab.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hijabs Abayas are not meant for minahs, they're for fat Arabic women... Minahs should be wearing kebayas....