• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Mandela had wisdom to embrace violence or peace as required

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Isn't it common sense that any prosperity that didn't go to the blacks even lost 100% also makes no difference to them? At least they got freedom to go anywhere without pass or vote now etc basic human rights that they didn't have previously.

NZ is full of blacks and coloured SA migrants who cashed out of SA when the going was good and moved to NZ.

The rand was par with the USD at the time and it went a long way when it came to buying a home or a business.
RvD.png

However fast forward to 2017 and the rand is worthless. The South Africans are stuck there regardless of colour because they can't afford the move. The blacks may have more "rights" but these rights get them nowhere when it comes to quality of life.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...dress-from-the-dock-at-the-Rivonia-Trial.html

Our fight is against real and not imaginary hardships or, to use the language of the State Prosecutor, 'so-called hardships’. Basically, My Lord, we fight against two features which are the hallmarks of African life in South Africa and which are entrenched by legislation which we seek to have repealed. These features are, and we do not need communists or so-called 'agitators’ to teach us about these things.

South Africa is the richest country, and could be one of the richest countries in the world. But it is a land of extremes and remarkable contrasts. The whites enjoy what may well be the highest standard of living in the world, whilst Africans live in poverty and misery. The complaint of Africans, however, is not only that they are poor and whites are rich, but that the laws which are made by the whites are designed to preserve this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

There are two ways to break out of poverty. The first is by formal education, and the second is by the worker acquiring a greater skill at his work and thus higher wages. As far as Africans are concerned, both these avenues of advancement are deliberately curtailed by legislation.

icons_bullet_2537659a.jpg
Nelson Mandela dies: latest reaction
icons_bullet_2537659a.jpg
Nelson Mandela: obituary
icons_video_2537660a.jpg
Watch Mandela's 'walk to freedom' in 1990
ICONS_PICTURES_2537657a.jpg
Nelson Mandela: life in pictures

I ask the court to remember that the present Government has always sought to hamper Africans in their search for education. There is compulsory education for all white children at virtually no cost to their parents, be they rich or poor. Similar facilities are not provided for the African children, though there are some who receive such assistance. African children, however, generally have to pay more for their schooling than whites.

The Government often answers its critics by saying that Africans in South Africa are economically better off than the inhabitants of the other countries in Africa. I do not know whether this statement is true and doubt whether any comparison can be made. But even if it is true, as far as African people are concerned, it is irrelevant. Our complaint is not that we are poor by comparison with people in other countries, but that we are poor by comparison with white people in our own country, and that we are prevented by legislation from altering this imbalance.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Our struggle is a truly national one. It is a struggle of the African people, inspired by our own suffering and our own experience. It is a struggle for the right to live.

During my lifetime I have dedicated my life to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal for which I hope to live for and to see realised. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...dress-from-the-dock-at-the-Rivonia-Trial.html

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
NZ is full of blacks and coloured SA migrants who cashed out of SA when the going was good and moved to NZ.

The rand was par with the USD at the time and it went a long way when it came to buying a home or a business.
View attachment 32305

However fast forward to 2017 and the rand is worthless. The South Africans are stuck there regardless of colour because they can't afford the move. The blacks may have more "rights" but these rights get them nowhere when it comes to quality of life.

Move move move not everyone wants to pack up and leave their country when going is good. Some people just want to have the right to live in their country, like being able to buy a HDB and die there but denied the right and that's why made the mistake to move to shit hole full of jiuhukia slanderers and thieves.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Move move move not everyone wants to pack up and leave their country when going is good. Some people just want to have the right to live in their country, like being able to buy a HDB and die there but denied the right and that's why made the mistake to move to shit hole full of jiuhukia slanderers and thieves.

Staying put in a country is like holding onto a share counter forever. It does no good whatsoever. At some point you have to cash out and take profit or your investment means nothing.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Staying put in a country is like holding onto a share counter forever. It does no good whatsoever. At some point you have to cash out and take profit or your investment means nothing.

Come to think of it you are very right, when your country and fellow citizens do not treat you well, it makes absolutely no difference where you stay on earth and good investment decision to cash out.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.c...o_freedom_fighter_prisoner_to_president_1.amp

Mandelas sheltered life melted away in Johannesburg, South Africas biggest city. For the first time, he experienced all the indignities of apartheid, or "apartness" in Afrikaans, the Dutch-derived language of the nations whites.

The government segregated blacks into crowded, poor townships, restricted their employment and taxed them at a higher level than whites. Better schools and hospitals were off limits. Only whites could vote.

One universally hated law required all blacks to carry pass books listing where they could travel and when they could permissibly leave their homes.

Mandela seethed.

"A thousand slights, a thousand indignities and a thousand unremembered moments produced in me an anger, a rebelliousness, a desire to fight the system that imprisoned my people," he wrote in his autobiography.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandela was, indeed, consumed by the struggle. In 1949, he launched the Defiance Campaign, which encouraged South Africans, black and white, to intentionally break the laws of apartheid. Hundreds of thousands of blacks took part, entering "white only" establishments and burning pass books.

12965944-large.jpg
Nelson Mandela at age 42 in 1962. His work for the African National Congress would soon lead to his long imprisonment. AP File Photo

Mandela was among 8,500 people jailed during the campaign. He was jailed again for a short time in 1952 under a law making it a crime to consort with Communists, with whom the ANC worked closely at times.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.c...o_freedom_fighter_prisoner_to_president_1.amp

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The massacre at Sharpeville added to Mandelas belief that non-violent tactics were not working. A year after the shooting, he formed "Spear of the Nation," an ANC paramilitary force designed to commit acts of sabotage against the government.

"I, who had never been a soldier, who had never fought in a battle, who had never fired a gun at an enemy, had been given the task of starting an army," he wrote in his autobiography.

With a warrant out for his arrest, Mandela went underground, learning how to make bombs and crisscrossing Africa in disguise in search of arms and money.

Mandela remained a fugitive for more than a year. Then, on Aug. 5, 1962, he was arrested at a police roadblock near Soweto, not far from Johannesburg.

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's look at the current situation in SA now.

• High unemployment rate of around 25%
  • Poor education system that does not prepare the students for the workforce because the teachers union is too powerful to remove its inefficient teachers.
  • SA is known as the rape capital of the world. Sexual violence is endemic in SA.
For some reason, Africans simply cannot govern a country properly.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's look at the current situation in SA now.

• High unemployment rate of around 25%
  • Poor education system that does not prepare the students for the workforce because the teachers union is too powerful to remove its inefficient teachers.
  • SA is known as the rape capital of the world. Sexual violence is endemic in SA.
For some reason, Africans simply cannot govern a country properly.

I thought the rape capital of the world is India as what my previous profile pic from somewhere said? Anyway is India or other ex colonial countries in the same or similar situation?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow Mandela was as wise as Lin Zexu to learn the enemy's languages to understand them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-23618727

"Although some subjects such as politics and military history were forbidden, Robben Island became known as a "university behind bars".

ANC and Communist Party stalwart Mac Maharaj remembers it as a cause of a falling out with Nelson Mandela.

"He was urging let us study Afrikaans and I was saying no way - this is the language of the damn oppressor. He persuaded me by saying,' Mac, we are in for a protracted war. You can't dream of ambushing the enemy if you can't understand the general commanding the forces. You have to read their literature and poetry, you have to understand their culture so that you get into the mind of the general.'

"Here he was showing right at the outset this focus of thinking of the other side, understanding them, anticipating them and so at the end of the day understanding how to accommodate them."

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Prisoner 46664, as he was known - the 466th prisoner to arrive in 1964 - would be the first to protest over ill-treatment and he would often be locked up in solitary as punishment.

"In those early years, isolation became a habit. We were routinely charged for the smallest infractions and sentenced to isolation," he wrote in his autobiography, The Long Walk to Freedom. "The authorities believed that isolation was the cure for our defiance and rebelliousness."

"I found solitary confinement the most forbidding aspect of prison life. There was no end and no beginning; there is only one's own mind, which can begin to play tricks."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-23618727

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/youngi.../2013/10/15/invictus-mandela-inspiration/amp/

"the poem “Invictus” written by William Earnest Henley, affected Mandela on a high level. He had the poem written on a scrap of paper in his prison cell while he was incarcerated. One of the reasons for why the poem appealed to him might be that it reminded him that it would take more than jail to break him. No matter what the guards, or time, did to him, he was still the captain of his soul, he was unconquerable. He managed to relate to the poem and therefore he drew inspiration from the words."

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Invictus
BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandela was respected for the struggle he undertook for his people and his country. He was in the same league as every other freedom fighter and a independence leader that freed his people.

He however achieved greatness that no other person came close to. He forgave his captors and brought the country together.

I have seen his house in Soweto that he lived in, the house where he plotted in and the house in Joburg that he passed away in as well as the Apartheid museum. It leaves an indelible mark in you.

Read the book about him especially how he negotiated the freedom for his people.

Truly a remarkable human being.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandela was respected for the struggle he undertook for his people and his country. He was in the same league as every other freedom fighter and a independence leader that freed his people.

He however achieved greatness that no other person came close to. He forgave his captors and brought the country together.

I have seen his house in Soweto that he lived in, the house where he plotted in and the house in Joburg that he passed away in as well as the Apartheid museum. It leaves an indelible mark in you.

Read the book about him especially how he negotiated the freedom for his people.

Truly a remarkable human being.

Justice is blind! No need to be remarkable human being to complain oppression!