• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia Cup. What was it like? Care to share some memories?

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clear the cobwebs from your brains. Care to share what was it like in those glory days without FTrash imports. When achievements were purely by our own flesh and blood excluding the Lees of course.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clear the cobwebs from your brains. Care to share what was it like in those glory days without FTrash imports. When achievements were purely by our own flesh and blood excluding the Lees of course.

Correction bro, there were many FT that time. Namely Abbas Saad, Edwards and if go back further i think got ang mo coach name Trevor Hartley. Never mind, it was still looking forward to the great games and then the New Nation reports!!

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remembered those days we gatecrashed into the stadium by climbing over the gates.
Girlfriends followed boyfriends even in their skirts and nobody bothered to watch free TELIVISION. That was how gila we were then.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
even when there was a heavy downpour during the match,everyone will still stay and support the team.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
My late father who was dying from leukemia beg his doctor to let him watch a game in 1976. We had to support him through the crush to allow him the joy of watching the
beautiful game that was Malaysia Cup.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Football then was played with national pride and passion unlike these days where money is the main priorty...:(.....U offer peanuts u get monkies:rolleyes:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ahhh... I still remember that i go and watch football with my neighbour at the old national stadium and trying to get as much food from those basket-food seller. Do the kallang wave and cheer out loud for Sg winning.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro sunny,
right on the spot.
now with professional soccer,some of those players are earning quite a lot.
but the performance of S-League and their performance while playing for Singapore do not equate.

during those time,all are amateur,only paid allowance. all of them played with pride and are proud to don the national colours.

i remember watching a semi-final match between us and our great rival Selangor,it was rainy heavily,but no fans take cover. we stay on and cheer the team to a memorable victory,get into the final and won the Cup.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed bro, those glory days where players play their hearts out not for $$$$ but for the love of the game will never be repeated. The same goes for those passionate and loyal fans who will fill up the stadium rain or shine to show support for the team.:(.Sad but true :o

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of all the matches I remember the 1977 final between Penang and Singapore best. I remember how the game went one way and then the other, and how the players held their nerve to bring the game into extra time and to win then.

I also remember the combined cheers and sighs of whole HDB estates who were tuned in. And of course I recall those crazy neighbours who ran along the corridors shouting whenever we scored.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
My favourite match was Lions vs Pahang in 93(or 94?) when we came back twice to win 3-2.

It was the match Sundram faked the backheel and set up Fandi for the winning goal.

The atmosphere that night was electrifying. The 'high' of supporting your team in a fully packed stadium cannot be replicated.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went to KL to watch the final of malaysia cup that singapore last won. Which result in Singapore being boot off the next year.

It was fun. The crowd at johor check point was crazy, so pack, that they let you off without any passport check. I nearly die, being squeeze by thousands of sinkies trying to pass custom. That was like African trying to get food in refugee camp.

well, maybe we should have let them win, then at least now we still in malaysia cup and not have to play in S league. singapore so small how to form a league? Why dun block23 play block 102.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to KL to watch the final of malaysia cup that singapore last won. Which result in Singapore being boot off the next year.

It was fun. The crowd at johor check point was crazy, so pack, that they let you off without any passport check. I nearly die, being squeeze by thousands of sinkies trying to pass custom. That was like African trying to get food in refugee camp.

well, maybe we should have let them win, then at least now we still in malaysia cup and not have to play in S league. singapore so small how to form a league? Why dun block23 play block 102.

You truly hit the nail right on the head my friend. Why must we be so serious about winning all the time. Why not win some diplomatic mileage by humouring them once in a while? Wouldn't that show we are a magnanimous nation? To lose international goodwill over a game? But then again, we have a mentality of die, die must win. Wonder who started that?

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember sticking to the radio whenever Singapore played an away game in Malaysia.

Remember how the entire estate roared when Steven Tan the substitute scored an equalizer on TV.

Most memorable game was probably the 7-0 drubbing of Brunei when Sundram scored a spectacular overhead kick goal 100m in front of me.

S-League can never incite that level of passion. I'm thankful the Malaysia Cup was part of my growing up years.