• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY rebuts Viswa

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
is this old fart being senile or this NMP Viswa talk too much already and talk the wrong thing?

SINGAPORE: Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said on Wednesday the government has been accountable in its actions and has worked towards ensuring that no race is discriminated against in Singapore. He added that what the country has achieved so far is evidence of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking in Parliament — which he seldom does — Mr Lee explained that he did not intend to intervene in the parliamentary debate initially.

But having read what a Nominated Member of Parliament said in Parliament on Tuesday, he decided to speak up.

He said: "I think it was dangerous to allow such highfalutin ideas to go un—demolished and mislead Singapore." Mr Lee took issue with the points the Nominated MP made, without naming the member.

The Nominated MP was Mr Viswa Sadasivan, who had called on Parliament to ensure that national policies be founded on the principles of the National Pledge such as racial and religious unity.

Mr Viswa had made several suggestions such as re—examining the current emphasis on racial categorisation and encouraging political associations to better reflect the tenets of the Pledge.

In fact, Mr Lee highlighted Singapore’s Constitution which provides for the minorities like the Malays.

He said: "We expressly stated in our Constitution, a duty on behalf of the government, not to treat everyone as equal. It’s not reality, it’s not practical. It will lead to grave and irreparable damage if we work on that principle. So, this was an aspiration.

"As Malays progressed and a number joined middle—class with university degrees and professional qualifications, we have asked Mendaki not to have special rights of free education in universities, but take what they were entitled to. Put those fees to help more disadvantaged Malays."

Mr Lee also pointed out that policies introduced have in fact taken into account the needs of the people.

He said: "Our Constitution spells out the duties of the government to treat minorities and Malays with extra care. So the basis on which the Nominated Member has placed his arguments is false and flawed. It’s completely untrue. It has got no basis whatsoever.

"And I thought to myself, ’perhaps I should bring this House back to earth’, and tell us and remind all what’s our starting point, what is our base and if we don’t recognise where we started from and these are our foundations, we’ll fail.

"We’re here today, we have this building, we have all these facilities, and all around us is evidence of our accountability. Without being accountable, we would not have been re—elected and there would have been no Singapore of today."

— CNA/ir

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Parliament is debating a motion on the nation—building tenets that have been enshrined in Singapore’s National Pledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Moving the motion, Nominated MP Viswa Sadasivan said he is confident Singapore will succeed if the nation is faithful to the Pledge.

But several MPs disagreed with some points he raised, among them, more public assistance for the needy and that people are hesitant to speak up.

The National Pledge enshrines what Singapore must continue to uphold for its future, said Mr Viswa.

He said: "We must ensure all citizens from young understand it beyond the words. Most importantly, we in Parliament must lead the way by demonstrating that no national policy or Bill will be passed if it goes contrary to the letter or spirit of the Pledge."

But he added that accountability requires the government to do more to address calls for greater democracy and civil liberties.

Sam Tan, Parliamentary Secretary for Information, Communications and the Arts,
said: "I will very much disagree with an allegation that the government takes people for granted. How so?

"Does the government ignore the fact that our population is ageing and needs lifts to their flats. Does the government not fund and ensure that every block will have one?"

Michael Palmer, GPC chairman for Defence and Foreign Affairs, said: "As an elected member of this House, we are always accountable to the people on the ground, in our constituency, to our residents and to Singaporeans as a whole; we are accountable on a daily basis."

Mr Viswa also claimed that there is a climate of fear that prevents people from speaking up.

Mr Palmer said: "In fact, my experience on the ground has shown the opposite. People are not afraid to speak up for what they believe in and against government policies that they disagree with.

"This feedback is received through numerous channels including my email inbox on a daily basis. And it would appear that the younger the generation, the more vociferous they are about their disagreement.

"In fact, what contradicts the climate of fear that Mr Sadasivan has spoken about is that he stands in this House today and is able to express his views openly and freely without fear of reprisal. My disagreement is also a demonstration of the democratic process at work.

"The government’s adherence to the tenets of our Pledge has brought us to where we are today. That said, it is perhaps timely that we reaffirm our commitment to them."

Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Mrs Yu Foo Yee Shoon, rebutted Mr Viswa’s call for more help for those on public assistance. She assured the House there are sufficient help schemes so that no one will go hungry in Singapore.

Debate on the motion continues on Wednesday.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>Speaking in Parliament — which he seldom does....<<<

Then what's his real purpose? To hack the likes of Viswa with his lan cheow hatchet when he feels like it?