• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY: I considered Taiwan to have been independent since 1989

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://shanghaiist.com/2011/09/24/lee_kuan_yew_taiwans_been_independe.php

Lee Kuan Yew: Taiwan's been independent since 1989

lee-kuan-yew-taiwan.jpg

Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew, who stepped down from the cabinet this year following the ruling People's Action Party's worst showing in post-independence elections, revealed recently that he considered Taiwan to have been independent since 1989.

Speaking at the recent Singapore Global Dialogue, the 88-year-old prefaced his statement by saying he didn't "see Taiwan being able to resist the pull of the mainland, with or without American help" and that there would "come a time when the Seventh Fleet cannot intervene because of Chinese aircraft carriers".

"China has always considered Taiwan as a part of China, and they want China to be reunified," Lee added. "The fact that Taiwan was independent from 1989 to the present does not make any difference."

The moderator unfortunately did not query Lee on what exactly he meant, but Taiwanese media, which have since leapt on his statement, say Lee was most probably referring to the year that former Taiwanese president Lee Teng-Hui (李登辉) came to power. (Shanghaiist finds this explanation puzzling because Lee Teng Hui actually came to power in 1988, not 1989.) Lee Teng Hui has frequently been accused of secret support for Taiwanese independence and was expelled from the Kuomintang for helping to establish the pro-independence Taiwan Solidarity Union.

It remains to be seen how the Chinese will react to Lee's latest remarks. Two years ago, Lee sparked a furore in a trip to Washington when he urged the United States to remain engaged in the Pacific, saying Asia needed the U.S. to "strike a balance" to counter China's unstoppable rise.

The biggest crisis in Sino-Singapore relations was in 2004, when Lee's son, Lee Hsien Loong, made a visit to Taiwan prior to becoming Singapore's third prime minister. The condemnation came swiftly, with Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhang Qiyue accusing Lee Junior of "hurting the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese".

Meetings and business transactions between Singapore and China were reportedly frozen overnight, and swiftly resumed when Lee Hsien Loong reiterated his support of the One China policy and criticised the then DPP government of overestimating public support for their calls for an independent Taiwan. His about-turn led Taiwan's Foreign Minister, Mark Chen, to infamously describe Singapore as a "nation no bigger than a piece of snot".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r_vYf-jGQPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
李老狗说台湾1989年独立。势必被中国人诛阀不恕。
:d

老笨狗吃屎吃撑了!
:*:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it was in Chinese, he'll claim his statement was lost in the translation.

If it was in English, he'll say he was taken out of context and if you listen again to the interview, never mind what he had said, clearly what he had meant was "China has always considered Taiwan as a part of China, and they want China to be reunified," Lee added. "The fact that Taiwan ​regarded itself as independent from 1989 to the present does not make any difference." He'll say that his follow on statements are corroborative.

Last edited:

flkyflky

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one LCB that spout all sorts of rubbish all the time while suing others for telling the truth. KNNCCB! :mad::oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it was in Chinese, he'll claim his statement was lost in the translation.

If it was in English, he'll say he was taken out of context and if you listen again to the interview, never mind what he had said, clearly what he had meant was "China has always considered Taiwan as a part of China, and they want China to be reunified," Lee added. "The fact that Taiwan ​regarded itself as independent from 1989 to the present does not make any difference." He'll say that his follow on statements are corroborative.

Taiwan has never regarded itself independent from 1989 or whenever. On Chinese postal enevelopes, the words Taiwan Province 台湾省is still used.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hu Jintao should launch one of China's long range missile up this Old man's ass...

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
One blunder after another, LHL should really ground his father from further appearance in public. One day he will single handedly ruin Singapore if he continues to have his way.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about Chee Soon Juan's wife?

Why make reference to Mr Chee Soon Juan's Taiwanese wife. Isn't this being sarcastic and an act of punching below the belt? C'mon leave that poor family alone. Haven't they suffered enough collectively?. Why are you putting salt onto their wounds. That wonderful wife of his has stood besides the husband and weathered all the storms that he went through. We should give her the credit that is due, don't we, sir?
For your information, Chee is a brave man willing to face punches from a mammoth machinery. His wife deserves all the respect due to a brave lady.
Lets discuss something concerning the matter in the forum.
Forgive me if I have hurt your feelings for I am of age and simply cannot take such comments.
I appeal to you to please refrain from dragging that innocently lady into this.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why make reference to Mr Chee Soon Juan's Taiwanese wife. Isn't this being sarcastic and an act of punching below the belt? C'mon leave that poor family alone. Haven't they suffered enough collectively?. Why are you putting salt onto their wounds. That wonderful wife of his has stood besides the husband and weathered all the storms that he went through. We should give her the credit that is due, don't we, sir?
For your information, Chee is a brave man willing to face punches from a mammoth machinery. His wife deserves all the respect due to a brave lady.
Lets discuss something concerning the matter in the forum.
Forgive me if I have hurt your feelings for I am of age and simply cannot take such comments.
I appeal to you to please refrain from dragging that innocently lady into this.

Blah balh blah. He's fighting for what? Have you no read claims that democracy doesnt not guarantee stability?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I said maybe Taiwan had declared itself indep. I didnt say China so needless to mention, nothing in China will list Taiwan as independent. Have you checked the Taiwanese postal envelopes? That is a more intelligent move.

Anyway, if you brandish a Taiwanese passport at any of China's port of entry, the officer will throw it onto the floor.

Taiwan has never regarded itself independent from 1989 or whenever. On Chinese postal enevelopes, the words Taiwan Province 台湾省is still used.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I said maybe Taiwan had declared itself indep. I didnt say China so needless to mention, nothing in China will list Taiwan as independent. Have you checked the Taiwanese postal envelopes? That is a more intelligent move.

Perhaps you've misunderstood. By Chinese postal envelopes, I mean Taiwanese postal envelopes referring to itself as Taiwan Province. Not only have I checked it, I've used it and specifically instructed to write 台湾省 on it.

Anyway, if you brandish a Taiwanese passport at any of China's port of entry, the officer will throw it onto the floor.

ROC passport can enter China through HK under Oversea Chinese. Postal service, passport clearance etc. are all inconveniences and formalities to maintain Taiwan as a province in official status even though renegade. Breach these formalities and it's war. The term ROC or ROC on Taiwan is acceptable to PRC. Any representation of Taiwan as an independent country is not acceptable.